• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are TV Ghost Shows Genuine?

There is a test .

Here is and old joke.

A young German man, an old old French man, a young woman and an old woman are traveling across country in one of those older slam-shut door railway carriages that had no corridor.

The train enters a tunnel. Note there are no lights.

There is the sound of a kiss and a loud slap.

When the train emerges from the tunnel the young man is nursing a bruised cheek.

The young woman is wondering ' why did that handsome young man kiss the old woman '

The old woman is thinking ' Young bounder, he deserved what he got for kissing the girl'.

The old man thinks ' I kiss the back of my hand and punch the German. The young girl gets the blame. What fun.

So here is the scenario.

The team are bumbling about in the dark.

Someone grabs Yvette by the boobs.

She screams. The lights come on.

Everyone claims innocence.

So it must have been the ghost.

INT21

"Are TV Ghost Shows Genuine?"
There is a test .

Here is and old joke.

A young German man, an old old French man, a young woman and an old woman are traveling across country in one of those older slam-shut door railway carriages that had no corridor.

When the train emerges from the tunnel the young man is nursing a bruised cheek.

The young woman is wondering ' why did that handsome young man kiss the old woman '

The old woman is thinking ' Young bounder, he deserved what he got for kissing the girl'.

The old man thinks ' I kiss the back of my hand and punch the German. The young girl gets the blame. What fun.

So here is the scenario.

INT21
...a simple "no" would probably suffice...:D

There is a test .

Here is and old joke.

So here is the scenario.

INT21

So... Let me get this right...?

Are you suggesting that Most Haunted was devised purely as a means of somebody in the production crew attempting to 'get handsy' with Yvette Fielding without being detected?

There is a test .

Here is and old joke.

So here is the scenario.

INT21
Here's another old joke ..

A married couple are sat in a train carriage with a stranger. The strangers breaks wind and the enraged husband says "How dare you fart in front of my wife!". The stranger replies "I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was her turn."

.. anyway, ghost TV shows ..

CuriousIdent,

..So... Let me get this right...?..

Never thought of it that way.

But they do seem to keep the series running. And there isn't much to do while waiting for tables to lift and shadows to pass fleetingly by doorways; always just missed by the cameras.

Blame it on the poor ghost.

INT21

Most of the ghostly effects seen in these TV series could be easily faked. But just because that can be faked doesn't mean they were faked. I think at least some of the events could represent an unknown phenomenon. My problem is that I can't really buy into the standard ghost theory. Something is going on but it seems more likely to me that this is some sort of residual energy rather than the shade of dear, departed Uncle Ned.

That being said, I have always been puzzled by a video clip that Ghost Hunters captured at a penitentiary in Philadelphia. Assuming it is not a fake, I don't know what to make of it.

Again, it could be a little digital wizardry or even a midget in a cloak but, if not, I haven't a clue as to what might depict.

If you take, for example, nature documentaries - these require a really very considerable investment of both time and resources. They may take very many thousands of hours of work to complete, over (often very) extended periods of time; this despite the phenomena involved often being a known quantity and sometimes relatively predictable (even with the latter criteria satisfied some natural phenomena has still not been filmed successfully).

The actual data for ghost documentaries - certainly the supposedly 'live' ones - is harvested in very short periods of time (hours, not months) and the finished product is susceptible to the much more immediate expectations of the production companies involved.

If ghosts exist they are surely as strange and complex a phenomenon as anything that exists in the natural world.

You may have to suspend your disbelief in order to entertain the idea that ghosts exist in order to enter into any related technical considerations - you may be an absolutely confirmed true believer; in either case you do not have to be a hardened sceptic to believe that most ghost hunter type documentaries are absolute bullshit.

Those involved are instructed to be dramatic, are instructed to spook each other out. Because that's entertaining on camera. Likewise a bit of fakery to heighten the drama almost certainly does go on. Because 'We stayed overnight in this reputedly haunted place, but nothing happened' doesn't make for enthralling TV...

Will Storr, in his highly readable book Will Storr Versus the Supernatural, blags his way onto a Most Haunted shoot and describes finding a filming schedule complete with precisely timetabled 'happenings'. How very amenable the spirits are.

If you take, for example, nature documentaries - these require a really very considerable investment of both time and resources. They may take very many thousands of hours of work to complete, over (often very) extended periods of time; this despite the phenomena involved often being a known quantity and sometimes relatively predictable (even with the latter criteria satisfied some natural phenomena has still not been filmed successfully).

The actual data for ghost documentaries - certainly the supposedly 'live' ones - is harvested in very short periods of time (hours, not months) and the finished product is susceptible to the much more immediate expectations of the production companies involved.

If ghosts exist they are surely as strange and complex a phenomenon as anything that exists in the natural world.

You may have to suspend your disbelief in order to entertain the idea that ghosts exist in order to enter into any related technical considerations - you may be an absolutely confirmed true believer; in either case you do not have to be a hardened sceptic to believe that most ghost hunter type documentaries are absolute bullshit.

Will Storr, in his highly readable book Will Storr Versus the Supernatural, blags his way onto a Most Haunted shoot and describes finding a filming schedule complete with precisely timetabled 'happenings'. How very amenable the spirits are.

No one knows the exact age of the house we live in now ( not even the estate agent who sold me the place ) but the neighbours reckon it was built in the mid to late Tudor period, and If I didn’t mind having my address plastered all over the internet, I’d post it, and see if any of the good people on this site could find out for me ( I have tried myself of course but I’m not great at that sort of thing )

Anyway, apart from the day we moved In, nothing odd has ever happened there to any of us - nothing at all.

However, on the day we moved in, I was at the top of the house shifting some boxes in my sons room, when there was an overwhelming waft of the smell of roses.

It only lasted for 5 seconds at the most and seem to originate from the corner of the room, where there was ( and still is ) some in built bookcases.

No windows were open on that level of the house, and the smell was very very strong.

I took it as a good sign.

Ha. Wonderful! :)

Yeah, I don't doubt it for a second.

By sheer happenstance I'm watching the new show "Help, my house is haunted" - genuinely don't know what to make of it. The reactions seem a little... well... overboard.

I watched an episode of "Help,my house is haunted" last night, which ultimately led me to read this thread. It was the episode filmed at The Dolphin Hotel. As someone with a sceptical interest in the paranormal, as well as someone who runs a coaching inn similar to The Dolphin this episode caught my eye. I have read about the happenings at The Dolphin before.

From the start I was very dubious as to how much was set up. From a professional point of view, I wondered why they had creepy dolls etc, placed around bedrooms that they then struggled to hire out due to people being frightened away? Did they not wonder if the occasional table they had adapted into a Ouija board would seem out of place in a hotel bedroom? Or was all this for the show?

Early in the show there was CCTV footage of a spectre that someone mentioned in passing looked like an Imp. Sure enough the word Imp came through the Ghost Box about a million times. It just felt set up. As did the hosts claiming to not know the history of the place (I have heard of the history before, and I only have a fleeting interest in the subject. Surely they will know - but why claim not to?), then unravelling it all through the show.

They did have an interesting camera that picked up abnormal frequencies and mapped them into the shape of an entity. I liked that, the visuals reminded me of making games on the Spectrum ZX. Very nostalgic.

The show was interesting to watch, but full of obvious bull. I'm not sure what the others are like.

My wife and I used to watch 'Ghosthunters' and enjoyed the show. I believe that the cast are believers and have had what they believe are experiences but while this might be true we never really were very impressed with the evidence on the actual show. Now and then something weird did happen but one could usually come up with a mundane explanation...most of the time.
We also watched 'Paranormal Lockdown' and again I think the shows two main stars are believers but rarely did anything happen that convinced me of ghosts or hauntings based on what was seen on the tv show.

To be honest, even quite a few of those nature documentaries are 'faked', if you mean by fake, set up shots, things filmed out of sequence and not where they purport to be, domesticated wild animals used in place of the real wild ones because their behaviour is predictable, etc.

I knew a man who used to film scenes for these documentaries, and owned a mock-up of a sewer system and some extremely cute rats. The two were often brought into conjunction when a documentary or film called for 'rats in a sewer'.

The motto appears to be 'don't believe everything you see.'

But at least we know the animals really exist.

Shh. Shush. Ooh, it's crowded in 'ere. Listen, shush...they're all over.

I'm getting the wooooord....HERBIVORE!

I'm seeing...a big hairy man with a banana. No, no...hold on...SHUSH....it's a ground dwelling great ape. Nkuru, Nkuru it was your uncle Wilson what stole the plantain leaves...Yes, Dennis, what's that? Yaks only 'ave a few functional sweat glands? Mother, mother - WHERE'S ME LEGS?

Sorry, just channeling Degsy doing Life on Earth.

As for Most Haunted, the dullest episode I've seen was the Cromer Pier one sadly .. sadly because we watched the film crew setting it all up and Stu (the bald one) walking about looking fed up. They did close the entrance to the pier though with security guards stationed so they did make an effort to stop any members of the public pranking the shoot ..

Ooh .. I've just found this 4hr 5min cut of the episode .. I'll have to re watch it tomorrow ..

(it's just a black screen for about the first 5 minutes of this vid and then the show starts)

Last edited:
Back