• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are U.S. Christian Fundamentalists Stoking War In The Middle-East?

A

Anonymous

Scary thought - are American xtian fundies delibrately tryin

Seeing that the Bush administartion is made up of a lot of Christian fundementalists, and seeing that the belief in an endtime brought around by a World War sparked over Israel is widespread in those circles, anyone else get the scary thought that they may be directing US Foreign Policy to create a self-fulfilling prophecy, and actually want a war over Israel.

maybe the manson 'family' has secretly infiltrated the republican party!

No it's not beyond the realm of believability. Bush and Blair are 'born again' (born yesterday?) and many american and uk new christians (not to mention neo-nazis, militiamen and other independant cultists - ps I'm not suggesting these groups are linked) believe that the endtime is upon us.

I think it's a phenomena connected not only mith millinarianism but with post-enlightenment ennui. There's little genuine excitement about the future, in fact we seem to be actively discouraged from thinking about it! Science is slipping out of popular culture, despite the best efforts of goulding, hawking and dawkin, and we seem to be inward and backward looking more than ever.

the future is a frightening place for many, and I don't suppose the GWB or TB are immune from these uncertainties.

Plus they're both raving mad...

Looking at Bush and Blair I keep thinking of that scene in The Dead Zone , when we find out Martin Sheen a psychotic religious madman.

for once I think the conservatives were onto something with the saatchi and saatchi anti-Labour ad showing Count Blair with the demon eyes.

Maybe Leo's the antichrist?

Whether or not there's a conspiracy going on with this is certainly up for debate. I'd be shocked, yes, but not shocked into insanity.

IMO, neither country has any right getting involved in this. These two groups of people (Israel and the Palestinians) have been fighting for hundreds of years. What in the sam hill do Bush and Blair think they are going to accomplish??? The suggestion in the OP certainly would fit the bill...

For this one, you don't need a conspiracy, just a bunch of zealots who are all pointing in the same direction.

As a side bar one wonders how much of the respective leaders faith is real and how much is political expediency... and the end time arriving is never expedient... imminent...then that is expedient..scared people don't change horses in mid-stream :)

8¬)

Chatsubo, i got that sick feeling too a couple of days ago. Hasn't the common thought been that if there is a world war three it would start in the middle east. I think the US needs to promote peace, but all they're doing is giving mixed ideas. They say they support Israel yet then Bush says enough is enough. Then Sharon goes we'll speed it up for you. Speed what up? They seem only to be speeding up the hatred in the region.

And what might have been if Rabin hadn't been knocked off?

I heard that one American politician (not sure which) quoted the book of Genesis to support the Israelis, saying the Jews were supposed to control Jerusalem. So I don't think what chatsubo said is a total impossibility. :(

If anyone is interested, and wishes to vote, I have started a poll on End Times in the Chat section of this message board.

I've got to disagree here, and I'm not merely waving the American flag; far from it. If Bush and Blair help start Armageddon, it's not because they're Christians (if they even truly are [more on this later]), but for typical human reasons: Israel's rocking the boat and upsetting oil producing nations, or whatever. Although Bush's cabinet is full of Christians, don't put much stock in it: so was Clinton's, and it was a worthless brand of religion that was in name only. These new politicos are different from the Founding Fathers, in that their religion is without conviction and mainly serves as a base of reference for voters and photo ops on Sundays. During the Democratic convention back in 92, one speaker (her name eludes me, she's a wheelchair-bound elderly black woman) said Clinton was "God's candidate;" yet, we all know the content of his character, and this shows religion is used as a tool to manipulate votes and other such BS. Sadaam Hussein uses the same tactics to gain support, wrapping himself in the Koran when the heat rises. I think it's manifest these are all secular leaders, and religion is wholly lip service on their parts.

Christians and Jews are commanded in the Bible to "pray for the peace of Jerusalem," which is something we should all do, regardless of faith, if for no other reason than to lessen the probability of warfare. For a leader to actually encourage or threaten violent action in the area makes me wonder just how seriously that leader takes his religious beliefs. I think the odds are good there are no real beliefs for him to consider, save what is convenient for him at the moment. Is Bush Christian or Occultic? I think he's just human, and with this has a multitude of human failings such as a lust for power. If God ever comes into play, it will be to save us from ourselves.

The problem with Bush, Sharon, Blair, Arafat, et al, is that they are all fighting for their own religious causes.
What we need is the proverbial spaceship to land on the White House lawn and give us a message:
"Hey people of Earth - you can fight over some pre-historic deity, or you can realise that with genetic manipulation, quantum computing, the SETI Project, and the search for the Theory of Everything, you can be more than you ever possibly thought you could be. You could take your place as the only verified intelligence in the Universe and try to spread the message of self-discovery. Us on the ship, we're just computers, programmed by a dead civilization - don't let our fate be yours".
Or we could nuke Iraq and watch the fireworks.....

Anton's idea would make them sort things out rather quickly, wouldn't it? The thing is, I think it'll come down to exactly that: Israel will be viewed as holding up progress. The Israelis and archaic religion are intertwined moreso than any other nation; like siamese twins sharing a heart, it seems impossible to seperate them, and the rest of humanity will eventually get sick of them dragging their feet towards humanistic enlightenment. I think the rest of the planet will eventually try to force it on them, which will be a disaster. They will never tolerate anyone dictating anything to them. And I can't say that I blame them, to be honest.

It could be an example of the road to Hell being paved with good intentions on our part; but, all the same, I can't help question any politician's true motives. Will the West's behavior delicately promote peace for all parties, or more "quit rocking the boat, you little shits?" I dread finding out, personally.

I've thought this for years, and am both happy and sad that people are finally starting to see it.

Happy because maybe someone will do something about it, and sad because now it's almost too late to prevent serious damage.

Ashcroft and Cheney are both rabid fundamentalists, and they along with Bush, who is a rabid fundamentalist himself but at least tries to act like he's not, are running this show. They're all not only believers in the "End Times" but think the End Times are coming right up, and they had better be in Israel to see it happen.

WHY does America continue to support Israel? Because one of the Bible prohecies says Israel will be a nation before Jesus comes back. That's why they made it and put it there in the first place, and that's why Bush will send people to die for it.

Look at Bush's actions the past few months. He talks about "Evil" and "evildoers," he's obsessed with attacking Iraq (the next best thing to Persia nowadays), he surrounds himself with other fundies as much as he can (probably so he'll know firsthand when the Rapture occurs), he lets Sharon do whatever he wants while if Arafat so much as pees without washing his hands Bush gets down on him, his rugged determination to destroy the wall between church and state (he actually thinks it's a "bridge" joining them, not a "wall" separating them, and has said so on numerous occasions), making a big deal out of small moral issues like abortion and homosexuality (while leading the nation in executions when he was governor)...

http://www.thelutheran.org/9912/page28b.html
http://www.unknownnews.net/cdd040302.html
http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/mideast1.htm
http://www.foigm.org/IMG/aftermath.htm
http://www.mille.org/scholarship/papers/snowpremill.html
http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/1299/9912122.html
http://www.whitestonepublishing.com/volume4.html

Hachihyaku, one of my ex-girlfriends used to go to church with Ashcroft in Jefferson City, MO, and I went a few times for this and that (a friend was married there, f.ex.), and I'll tell you John Ashcoft doesn't seem very rabid to me. I'm not trying to downplay his beliefs, either...I'm saying (and maybe I'm judging him unfairly, I dunno) I think these guys aren't as hardcore as they let on like. I never saw him waving his hands while shouting "Glory!" or rolling in the aisles, but no one did, so.... Maybe I just caught them on a slow week. :)

Seriously, no BSing--does Bush truly seem like a born-again Christian to you guys? Be honest. Personally, I don't see it, and I'd think I'd be able to pick up on it. These guys talk the talk, but I don't see them walking the walk (if I can be bold enough to employ a 70s idiom).

well the end times thing becomes scarier when one considers that the site of Armageddon is in Iraq :eek!!!!:

Also on the religious belief element, what a politician does in public doesn't necessarily represent what they believe in private. SO although there's no evidence for 'rabid fundamentalism' in the Bush coterie there's also no public evidence that they attend bohemian grove, yet many of us would contend they do.

There is certainly something fishy going on - although I am sure that Tony Benn's contention that all wars since the second world war have been primarily about oil (or other resources such as uranium, diamonds etc) there do seem to be other factors involved. Another thing which makes me suspicious of the oil motive is that I believe that alternate sources of power have already beenn discovered and could revolutionise the modern world, if they were released (e.g. VWs hydrogen car - correct me if I'm wrong!).

In summary: yes I think there's a certain 'biblical' element to the present middle eastern conflicts which goes beyond land rights and resources, yes I believe that the UK and US leaderships (whether TB and GWB or 'shadow' govt figures) are colluding in a scheme which goes way beyond the War on Terrorism, and yes I believe that religious belief plays a factor in all this - how could it not.

The secular age was stilborn, fundamentalism of all colours is the new global modus operandi and it's up to those that still cling to rationalism and non-religious ideologies such as marxism, anarchism and even capitalism to secure the future for the coming generations. I fear that without checks on the excesses of xian, muslim, jewish and even hindu fundamentalism we're in for a seriously rough ride in the next few decades.

The secular age was stilborn, fundamentalism of all colours is the new global modus operandi and it's up to those that still cling to rationalism and non-religious ideologies such as marxism, anarchism and even capitalism to secure the future for the coming generations. I fear that without checks on the excesses of xian, muslim, jewish and even hindu fundamentalism we're in for a seriously rough ride in the next few decades.

Very nicely stated! i\Its something I've felt for some time; that we are being propelled, or propelling ourselves into a new Dark Age...

I'll see you on the barricades...I'll be in evening clothes and weilding a AK47 :D

8¬)

I've always had this vision of myself standing on top of a burning car, smoking a cigar and gazing into the distance as looters, mutants and loons charge towards the hippy enclave I've been hiding in. Slowly I sigh, stub out the cigar and bring my vulcan machine gun to bear on the hoards...

I thought that was going to be the scenario on Jan 1st 2001, after the power plants had gone up, the air traffic control system had gone haywire and govt had ceased to exist. Well it didn't happen then, but I'm still not discounting it in the near future.

I'm going to whole up in a bunker with a big neon sign saying 'My God is bigger than your God'.
But seriosuly folks, what is scary in the so-called War Against Terrorism is that both sides are controlled by religious fundamentalists, (and both are sons of billionares).
Is there anywhere left in the world that is rational, liberal and quite sunny?

I believe it was Yasser Araft who said 'Holy War is just fighting about who has the best imaginary friend'

I could be wrong on that.... but it should be true even if its not :)

8¬)

Its a pity that nobody remembers what the last sane Israeli PM said 'You don't make peace with your friends, you make it with your enemies'

what is scary in the so-called War Against Terrorism is that both sides are controlled by religious fundamentalists, (and both are sons of billionares).

not to mention the mutual oil basis of their wealth, plus the connections between the two families:

The younger Bush made his first million 20 years ago with an oil company partly funded by Salem Bin Laden's chief US representative. Young George also received fees as director of a subsidiary of Carlyle Corporation, a little known private company which has, in just a few years of its founding, become one of Americas biggest defence contractors. His father, Bush Senior, is also a paid advisor. And what became embarrassing was the revelation that the Bin Ladens held a stake in Carlyle, sold just after September 11.

full transcript

So it's fairly clear that the Bushes and binLadens have mutual interests in Saudi, possibly in Afghanistan, and certainly in Iraq/Kuwait. It would seem strange if Muslims and Xians could be so chummy in the 70s and so opposed at present. Prince Fahd of Saudi has generated to most press about that mystrious country since the Gulf War with his 'peace treaty' for the region. While many regional politicans seem to endorse the tried and tested 'land for peace' initiative, I doubt many Muslim clerics would be happy with the arrangement. It would be interesting to see exactly what the relationship between the Saudi royal family and the bin Ladens was.

The original purpose of this thread has been subsumed as always into my current uber-conspiracy. However to get back 'on thread': where does this leave Israel and the Palestinians? Despite it verging on a taboo subject most people are aware that there are powerful jewish lobbying groups, and that jewish influence in academia, the media and industry is significant. So on the one hand we have Islamic influence in the realm of oil (and islam, like judaism, has a history of both looking after their own, and charity) and on the other a US government who's ears are turned towards the Anti-defamation League, Hollwood, the mass media etc. Bush needs the jewish community on side if he's to win his 'war on terrorism'; both for votes, influence in hollywood (for propaganda purposes) and the support of Israel as a 'friendly country' in the WaT. However he also needs the support of Arab countries if he's to seriously contemplate removing Saddam (why is anyone's guess - or could it be for the oil?), not to mention the support of the OPEC countries he needs just to run the war on terrorism (imagine if the OPEC countries stopped selling oil to the US!!!).

All very confusing (both my desciption and the actual situation :)) but you'll agree that there's no clear cut path for BUsh - he's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. Kinda makes you feel sorry for him... NOT!!!

I'm afraid I must say that I'm not a fan of the Israeli state, it seems to have been an ill thought out plan in the first place, and I'm sceptical of any real claims that Jewish people put on 'ownership' of the holy land. By all means they should have the right to live in the region they consider their ancestral home, but simply handing them a load of guns and telling them they can have an area that's inconveniently full of indingious arabs, who can lay claim to the area for a span of centuries, seems somewhat short sighted.

Why do jewish people deserve such special dispensation? The Navajo have been hounded, murdered, shattered by disease, had there livelihoods destroyed, been forced into alcoholism and abused for centuries, yet they don't get there own arms budget, country and world recognition - neither do the romany who were equally dispised by Hitler (though not as many died in the gas chamber).

Other people have commented that it's none of the Us or Uks business what happens to Israel or the the Palestinians, but that's completely wrong - it's us who drew up the post war plan, us who armed and created the country, us who continue to subsidise their failing economy, us who consistantly back Israeli claims over palestinan ones, and us who refuse to inforce UN resolutions relating to Palestine and Israel.

Only if the US did something radical like withdraw their subsidies would Israeli policy change. It's ludicrous to think that these two groups are in any way equal. The palestinians live in shanty towns, are undereducated, undernourished, suffer daily humiliation from civilans and 'security forces' alike and are, rightly, very angry about this - however it is not there poverty which is exposed to the press, but the destruction caused by a few suicidal 'martyrs'. The Israelis live a cafe society life, often are fair weather citizens (living only part of the year there) are well cared for, well educated and have a private militia which can enforce the policies of increasingly deranged politicians in the most brutal way without the batting of an eyelid from the western media or politicians.

God I enjoy a good rant! - I'm nowhere near to resolving what I was trying to get at (whatever that was) but feel alot better for it. Appologies to any Jews who feel I've insulted them - it's the state of israel which annoys me, not israelis.

dot23 said:
God I enjoy a good rant! - I'm nowhere near to resolving what I was trying to get at (whatever that was) but feel alot better for it. Appologies to any Jews who feel I've insulted them - it's the state of israel which annoys me, not israelis.

That last statement is proof about how well the Jewish lobby operates. It has created a sitaution where any anti-Zionist or anti-Israeli statement can be distorted into an anti-semitic statement.
Even mention the fact that a Jewish lobby exists runs the danger of appearing like some crazed Nazi brandishing the Protcols of Zion, but the facts are clear.
The American Israel Public Affairs Committe is second only to the National Rifle Association, in terms of influence in Washington DC. Independent commentators estimated that 60% of the entire funding of the Democratic Party comes from Jews (New Statesmen, 8/4/02).
What pissed me off is that the actions of Sharon are playing right into the hands of anti-semites and fascists around the globe.

Indeedy - look at Jon Ronson's experience of Spotlight (who's pages I scoured for 'anti-semitic' content after reading 'Them' - and found nothing obvious, yes references to 'international bankers' were there but you'd have to be a telepath to assume they were 'code words' for Jews) and Big Jim Tucker to see that the Jewish people's worst enemy appear to be themselves at the moment. The ADL has had several high-profile cases where they've sued people for defamation etc only to be found against, many writers or academics (including jews) who bring up the 'protocols' or have an anti-israeli stance are silenced, bullied or ostracised - JR was described as a 'self-hating jew' for even associateing with the KKK or Spotlight. In his search for the truth behind Bilderberg BJT has done a service for the people of the world, showing that decisions about global politics and economics are made behind closed doors - Israelis are undoubtedly just as affected by these policies as are the Palestinians.

The knee jerking has been a real detriment to the Israeli cause - no one can deny that the jewish people deserve some place to call home, but I'd argue that that place is the USA. The most sensible thing in my mind is to make the holy land an entirely secular, UN controlled enclave, with external (ideally irreligious) control. If children bully each other, misbehave or can't sit next to each other without giggling, teachers seperate, chastise or in extreme cases expel those children. I think that both sides in this conflict are behaving like children, they cannot spend ten minutes in a room together without shouting abuse or making threats, and the UN must act like the teacher, and act accordingly.

This, of course, supposes that the UN has any power to act at all. With the US seemingly (although this may be changing) unwilling to address palestinian issues seriously, and taking no steps (other than grand pronouncements) to create a 'level playing field' between the palestinans and israelis, discussion in the UN cannot continue. Until Israel can display that it will behave in a civilised way to all citizens of their country, they should be chastised, sanctioned and diplomatically ostracised. People may well say that I'm siding with the bombers and Arafat. Well to some extent I am - this idea that one can't allow terrorists to win is a hypocracy, and also poltically naive. Of course terrorists win - the french revolution, the end of apartheid, the Good Friday agreement were all the result of 'terrorist' tactics. As has been commented several times in recent years, the word 'terrorist' is notoriously hard to define (I'd be interested to hear what the recent Arab conference decided). I believe terrorism is warfare conducted by a minority side using improvised weapons against a powerful and oppressive state or other power. Israel certainly falls into this category. The question never asked is why. Non-oppresive states (if there were such things) would not be the subject of terrorism - if there is no oppresion, and political discourse and democracy are free for all, there is no need for terrorism.

I remember just a few weeks after september 11th, reading an article where they mentioned how it was fairly worrying that the Americans had gotten the attitude of a sort of holy war. That this was the final battle before armageddon, and therefore nukes and such weren't seen as being that bad, since everything was going to end anyway.

The joy of fundamentalist rhetoric... got any primary source for that, since its been a while since my faith in human nature has been affirmed

8¬)

it's certainly extremely worrying to see the lassez-faire attitude that the US is taking towards nukes at the moment - the missile defense shield (a blatant white elephant considering 911 and suitcase bombs), the ripping up of the non-proliferation treaty and the leaking of documents which seem to suggest 'small payload' nukes being deployed as part of normal warfare.

As you say X, it's possibly a symptom of millinarian doomsaying, or yet more evidence of US govts slide into paranoia, arrogance and seclusion.

It's unbelievable that a labour government that supported unilateral arms reduction through 18 years in opposition has lost it's tongue since BUsh's election. It's good to see that 130 back bench mps are opposed to escalation of action in iraq and others are questioning our nuclear policy, but more needs to be done.

The only reason I'm still a Labour Party member is that I hope I might one day get a chance to vote against Tony Blair in a leadership contest.(Well that, and i do a lot of subcontracting for the local Labour Party, and a wage is a wage)

I've always believed that our [USA] leaders were merely paying lip service to their religions to please the pollsters. At least for the last thirty years or so.

If any of them actually held TRUE belief in their faith, wouldn't they have to condemn themselves as a bunch of liars and corrupt fools? I think at the end of the day, it's self-interest and greed that really mans the helm.

I'm very dissappointed in the actions of the Israeli govt. I expect them to take the high road, but instead they imitate and adapt the behavior of their enemies. On the one hand, they HAVE to be able to protect themselves from terror attacks, but on the other, what really gives them the right to be where they are in the first place besides a joint British/American mandate? Why should they be treating the Arabs there like they were less than human?

When it comes to displacing a people from their lands [the Palestinians], I think an excuse other than "God said it was OK, because it's our land" is in order. After all, I thought I had read somewhere that by tracking the mitochondrial DNA of the various peoples in the region, it had been proven that the Israelis and Arabs are all from the same stock of people. So what ever they do to each other, they do to themselves as well.

I'm all for religious freedom, if someone wants to willingly blind themselves to fact, logic and reason, then that is their own personal business. What I am not in favor of, is making decisions that affect thousands, or perhaps millions of people based on primitive superstitions, and if it can be established that someone is making decisions based on such tomfoolery, then they should be removed from office. Ya know, separation of church and state and all that.

Family values huh? I laugh when I cry....

Oh, and I thought Israel was established through a sense of guilt for not helping the Jews during the period of persecution from the twenties till the end of WWII, I didn't realize it was established to fufill an end times requirement, as has been suggested here [Dot23. you are such a naughty one! But I agree that an Israeli state should have been formed here in the States. It was probably American anti-semitism that blocked that idea from ever being broached in the first place. That and superstition(the Israeli's.)]

Wow! A thread that deals with such turmoil filled topics, and even with the rants, things have been stated and suggested without any major crying, screaming, or death threats! I'm impressed!

Also, what was meant by Armageddon being set in Iraq? I thought it already happened a long time ago outside of the Negev, in a town called Meggedio? I'm sure I'm spelling it incorrectly, but I do not have a reference handy, so deal with it!

After all, I thought I had read somewhere that by tracking the mitochondrial DNA of the various peoples in the region, it had been proven that the Israelis and Arabs are all from the same stock of people.

Wasn't that information condemned as anti-semitic by the Anti-defamation League to such a degree that the journal that published it wrote to its suscribers to tear out the piece and destroy it?

Trivia question... who else burned books? :D

8¬)

Back