• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are U.S. Christian Fundamentalists Stoking War In The Middle-East?

Jim,

Agreed. But the problem comes down to range and recharging.

A simple everyday example is that I can get to my relations on the coast (either coast) on the charge in the battery of a Nissan Leaf. But I can't get back. The battery hasn't the capacity.

So what can I do ? If there was a battery 'charge/replace' facility on the coast I could swap my battery for a fully charged one and return. Leaving them to charge my old one and issue it to another customer. But it takes about eight hours to safely charge these batteries. And they have a limited life.

I was considering changing to an electric car and asked the man in the Nissan showroom 'what is the life expectancy of the battery, and how much will a new one cost ?'. He couldn't give me a define answer.

As these batteries are essentially a big stack of LiPo cells we can get an idea from the life expectancy of a laptop battery, about two year.

Not really viable.

Maybe Hydrogen Fuel Cells will be the way to go.

INT21

..However Joules can be deceiving. 20 Megajoules are = 5.5 KW/hr. An average car sized lead acid battery can provide 1.2 KW/hr...

Don't forget that it takes about 30 Horse Power to keep an average car rolling along on level ground .

Your Lead acid battery isn't going to take you very far.

INT21

..However Joules can be deceiving. 20 Megajoules are = 5.5 KW/hr. An average car sized lead acid battery can provide 1.2 KW/hr...

Don't forget that it takes about 30 Horse Power to keep an average car rolling along on level ground .

Your Lead acid battery isn't going to take you very far.

INT21
That's true, that's why most electric vehicles (in the US anyways) are hybrids

Last edited:
A good compromise; in today's world. And the Toyota Prius seems to be the vehicle of choice over here (UK).

AlchoPwn admires my pessimism. And It is indeed legendary. But I think with good reason.

Fuel can be derived from coal. I think it is the Fisher-Trope method. But it is expensive and not really a long term answer.

During the last presidency a lot of the American coal mines were either closed or drastically reduced. In the UK virtually all our coal mining is finished.

It is a sign of the times. We need to get on with the next energy revolution.

But President Trump threw the miners a bone (simply to win votes) by saying he will revive the coal industry. A purely political move.

As we can all agree, fossil fuels need to be phased out. And the way to attain this end is to drastically reduce the energy requirements.

I am gradually changing all my home lighting to LED. And saving around 70 percent on energy consumption. BUT, the energy suppliers keep on raising the cost per KwHr. So although I am doing the right thing, I am penalized for doing it.

If, as AlchoPwn suggests, Nuclear Fusion is just around the corner (It always was 'just 20 years away) then the effect on the world will be beyond comprehension. Overnight the fossil fuel power stations will close down. We won't need them.

That will be a step too far for many of those who get rich by maintaining the status quo. I would not be surprised if a major war was instigated as a way to interfere with this progress.

INT21

...but if you can couch their bloodlust in the towering rhetoric of the faux-old-timey language of the Bible and make it seem like prophecy, then you have a "motivated workforce"...

Which neatly explains why Trump has become more religious as his presidency progresses.

INT21

...but if you can couch their bloodlust in the towering rhetoric of the faux-old-timey language of the Bible and make it seem like prophecy, then you have a "motivated workforce"...

Which neatly explains why Trump has become more religious as his presidency progresses.

There were plenty of violent heathen tribes around in Biblical times so of course God zapped them to keep decent people safe, and Don is simply keeping everybody safe by tackling todays heathen factions..:)

Trump-people-safe_zpsas9uiz8y.jpg~original

AlchoPwn admires my pessimism. And It is indeed legendary. But I think with good reason.

I didn't say that I disapproved of your pessimism INT21, I think it is well founded were it not for recent technical developments, and

Fuel can be derived from coal. I think it is the Fisher-Trope method. But it is expensive and not really a long term answer. During the last presidency a lot of the American coal mines were either closed or drastically reduced. In the UK virtually all our coal mining is finished. It is a sign of the times. We need to get on with the next energy revolution. But President Trump threw the miners a bone (simply to win votes) by saying he will revive the coal industry. A purely political move. As we can all agree, fossil fuels need to be phased out. And the way to attain this end is to drastically reduce the energy requirements. I am gradually changing all my home lighting to LED. And saving around 70 percent on energy consumption. BUT, the energy suppliers keep on raising the cost per KwHr. So although I am doing the right thing, I am penalized for doing it.

All true, more's the pity.

If, as AlchoPwn suggests, Nuclear Fusion is just around the corner (It always was 'just 20 years away) then the effect on the world will be beyond comprehension. Overnight the fossil fuel power stations will close down. We won't need them.

I brought this to your attention because there have been a series of exciting developments on this front recently. The process is now properly understood, and there is even the possibility of it being successfully miniaturized.

That will be a step too far for many of those who get rich by maintaining the status quo. I would not be surprised if a major war was instigated as a way to interfere with this progress.

Obviously the fossil fuel oligarchs are going to fight tooth and nail to maintain their position. They would, however, be better served by rolling out the alternatives themselves. It isn't as if they don't have the money.

AlchoPwn,

We seem pretty much in agreement about the energy situation.

I have also been watching the development of fusion with interest. I suppose that once they get the reaction to run continuously the next thing will be the reliability of the tokamacs. I think it will be tokamacs that will be the preferred method.

A more frustrating thing is the unwillingness of governments to fund Thorium reactors. They are safer than Uranium reactors, and Thorium is easily come by. The snag seems to be that you can't make a bomb from the byproducts.

INT21

WayMarker,

May I suggest 'Masters of War' : Bob Dylan.

INT21. ;)

AlchoPwn,We seem pretty much in agreement about the energy situation.I have also been watching the development of fusion with interest. I suppose that once they get the reaction to run continuously the next thing will be the reliability of the tokamacs. I think it will be tokamacs that will be the preferred method.A more frustrating thing is the unwillingness of governments to fund Thorium reactors. They are safer than Uranium reactors, and Thorium is easily come by. The snag seems to be that you can't make a bomb from the byproducts.
INT21

Someone who knows the benefits of Thorium reactors? Come to my arms brother! :nerd::hoff::salute::hapdan::oldm:

There were plenty of violent heathen tribes around in Biblical times so of course God zapped them to keep decent people safe, and Don is simply keeping everybody safe by tackling todays heathen factions..:)

Trump-people-safe_zpsas9uiz8y.jpg~original

Although the US has meddled since WW2. Many of the people we fought against "communist, terrorists faction-groups, etc." were a hell of a lot worse offenders then the us military. It's a mix, there's situations where we were the so called "good Guys". On one hand too much politics is involved, on the other hand there are have been countries and organizations that needed to be checked. One of our main issues since WW2 is that we don't complete the job i.e. North Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan and the military - political situation goes from bad to worse.

AlchoPwn,

And I though I was alone in the world. Hail fellow, well met.

I think India and China have experimental Thorium reactors. The advantage over Uranium seems obvious. Admittedly you need a Neutron source to kick off the reaction. But that isn't really a problem. The thorium reaction cycle is so simple even I can understand it.

INT21

As Thor is a male mythical character (a Norse God) I was wondering why he should be in need of a dildo.

INT21

Ho, Ho, Ho.

(Best spoken in some Nordic accent)

INT21

Churchill once said- "In war, one has neither friends nor enemies, only interests", and that's as true now as it ever was.
Our present-day politicians have got a very finely-developed sense of smell for oil and are obsessed with getting their hands on every drop, hence their interest in Syria-

Syrian-oil_zpsgn33v8r7.jpg~original

And if you even wanted to know why Israel is so interested in Palestine.

The Palestinians signed a memorandum of intent on November 8, 1999 with British Gas and a company linked to the Palestinian Authority, the Consolidated Contractors Company, giving them rights to explore the area.[2][3] The discovered natural gas reserve was calculated to have 35 BCM, larger than Israel's Yam Tethys maritime gas field.[3] It was found in two small gas fields dubbed Gaza Marine 1 and Gaza Marine 2.

In 1999, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak set aside exploration of Gaza's offshore resources for a future Palestinian state, with no prior consultation with Israel stipulated.[2] According to Michael Schwartz, Barak deployed the Israeli navy in Gaza's coastal waters to impede the implementation of the terms of the modest contract between the Palestinian Authority and British Gas (BG) to develop Gaza's Mediterranean gas resources.[1] Israel demanded that the Gaza gas be piped to facilities on its territory, and at a price below the prevailing market level[4] and that Israel also control all the (relatively modest) revenues destined for the Palestinians — to prevent the money from being used to "fund terror." In Schwartz's view, with this Israeli action the Oslo Accords were officially doomed, because by declaring Palestinian control over gas revenues unacceptable, the Israeli government committed itself to not accepting even the most limited kind of Palestinian budgetary autonomy, let alone full sovereignty. In Schwartz's view, since no Palestinian government or organization would agree to this, a future filled with armed conflict was assured.[1]

The rest of the article is to be found on Wiki'

INT21

Back