• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are We Really Fatter Nowadays?

A filling, delicious dinner can be gnocci, a spoon of pesto and a sprinkling of parmesan is enough. It's the flavour that counts. When it comes to pizza, a little detail that caught my appreciation is that it tends to be thin-crust and eaten with a knife and fork, the last detail being a 'limiter' to gorging oneself as it tends to slow down consumption IMO?
Yes possibly.

I know this isn't the case with all the British of course, and maybe it's not quite as prevalent as it was, but it seems that when ordering (or making) a pizza a lot have to have every topping available, a kilo of cheese and a base that's about 4" thick. A bit like ordering the hottest curry and a ton of nan breads- there's no real interest in what the actual ingredients are, but it's like some sort of strange challenge/getting your money's worth. ?

Maybe it's purely greed.

With the prevalence of TV shows accentuating 'food challenges' etc. and people complaining about portion sizes, this might be forgiven. They might want huge portions but how much is left?

Continuing the subject of this thread though, the British and Americans have taken Italian cuisine and totally ruined altered it, making our versions of 'Italian' food much more unhealthy than they normally would be.
Ditto Indian Food. I was a contributor to a message board discussing Indian Food. The majority of the contributors were only concerned as to how they could make a curry like their high street Indian restaurant. Given no two restaurants prepare dishes the same and, even in a restaurant, two different chefs dishes will never taste the same, it is a ridiculous quest.
The people on the board completely ignored one of the most diverse diets in the world with its regional differences and vast array of healthy ingredients.
Those left on the board are now discussing which supermarket makes the best cook-in-sauces, and how close they taste to their local take-away.

Last edited:
Did people in the UK during the coronation celebration over eat and over drink during the coronation holidays ?

In the U.S. people usually gain 5 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It might have to do with the 'traditional' fare.
I'd imagine much of the coronation food was light, party food. At Thanksgiving/Christmas, it's a full roast dinner, with all the trimmings, as well as a buffet, cake, pudding etc. etc. Also - at least in my in-law's case - Christmas is the season of gluttony and food waste when folks overdo it in quantity.

In the good old days, it was considered healthy to be a bit on the porky side:

tonic.png

It might have to do with the 'traditional' fare.
I'd imagine much of the coronation food was light, party food. At Thanksgiving/Christmas, it's a full roast dinner, with all the trimmings, as well as a buffet, cake, pudding etc. etc. Also - at least in my in-law's case - Christmas is the season of gluttony and food waste when folks overdo it in quantity.
Also, wintertime. The coronation was in May, so people were out and about more afterwards. Around the Christmas mark it's months of sitting indoors and watching TV (for many people).

In the good old days, it was considered healthy to be a bit on the porky side:

View attachment 70415
Weird thing about an admittedly weird advert was that Grove's Chill Tonic was sold for the relief of malaria and associated 'chills'. It's ingredients (synthetic quinine, iron and syrup) cannot really be claimed as fattening if taken by the recommended spoonful.

Back