• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are We Really Fatter Nowadays?

Have you tried a can of soup recently? A treat for me years ago would have been a can of Heinz Cream of Chicken soup with some bread & butter. Today? It’s like vaguely chicken-scented cold cream.

The health fascists have required the sugar, salt and fat content to be severely reduced, which automatically removes all but a vestige of flavour.

Now, when l prepare a Thermos of soup for a day’s shooting, l begin by adding to the saucepan a generous pinch of salt, plus pepper sauce (and other appropriate sauces) to taste.

I suspect that the soup sold in the Eastern European delis that have sprung up everywhere isn’t so hamstrung by these requirements. l must prepare a cribsheet of the Polish words for Cream of Chicken, tomato etc….

maximus otter
Which is exactly why I purchased Mushroom Soup (Zupa in Polish) at our local Polish deli yesterday -
There is nothing like their homemade soup, full of a variety of fresh vegetables and spices, can't be beat!
I also buy their meats from the hot prepared food counter, Mr. R loves their lamb and roast beef because it's 'the good stuff' as he says.
I like the chicken and potato cheese pierogies.
I was told by our doctor that the Polish stores sell 'Voltaren' (cream for arthritis and muscle aches) at the stronger strength allowed in Europe and which is shipped from Europe - here in the USA it is only permitted in a lower strength.

But isn't this part of the problem? Soup is (if you've got the time) one of the easiest things on earth to make. Get some stock, some veg, boil it all up together, blend it and add some cream (or not). We're so used to buying it in cans that we've lost sight of the fact that you can make it yourself.

Ditto tomatoes. You can grow these in hanging baskets! In a gro-bag on a patch of concrete! In a pot on your windowsill! We need to vote with our feet (if you see what I mean) and stop buying overpriced and unsatisfying rubbish and start making or growing our own.
Generally speaking, yes. :) I make all my own soup apart from the occasional tin of Heinz Tomato and in fact do most of my own cooking but yes "we" have become very dependant on processed food. I kind of get it. Even I get weary of chopping veg sometimes. But becoming dependant on the hard stuff must be resisted! :pitch:

This is about the best readily available chicken soup imo. Quite thick, very chickeny, actual bits of chicken in it. All their soups are pretty good. Being a cheapskate though I only buy them when they’re half-price when I get a few. They last weeks in a fridge. Enough in them for two.

1677167122281.png

It is claimed that you are your parents.

Supposedly if one parent is heavy there is a 25% chance that you will be heavy, and if both parents are heavy there is a 80% chance that you will be heavy.

But factors like stress and poverty can also affect the mix.

My grandkids are normal size but I am sad what they think is good eating is confined to macaroni and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, potatoes, and hamburgers.

Actually I never meet a hamburger that I didn’t love !

But I love all kinds of vegetables, but my grandkids consider vegetables as poison.

Kids today have a real eating problem which leads to weight gain.

Chocolate Bars are not the top of the food pyramid.

Generally speaking, yes. :) I make all my own soup apart from the occasional tin of Heinz Tomato and in fact do most of my own cooking but yes "we" have become very dependant on processed food. I kind of get it. Even I get weary of chopping veg sometimes. But becoming dependant on the hard stuff must be resisted! :pitch:
Yes - this weekend I am making a pot roast (I'm not one for beef, but Mr. R is, I like the gravy) in a pot with chopped onion, peppers, celery, carrots, potatoes, and string beans.
I cover the pot roast and veggies with water, then add a can of Campbell's Mushroom Soup (they used to make the 'Garlic Mushroom Soup', but I haven't seen that one for some time, so it's plain mushroom!), and two envelopes of Lipton's dry 'Beefy Onion' Soup mix, and stir that all up well.
After two hours of being covered and simmering, and occasional stirring, it's done.
And I save the leftover gravy with the vegetables for other meals.

It is claimed that you are your parents.

Supposedly if one parent is heavy there is a 25% chance that you will be heavy, and if both parents are heavy there is a 80% chance that you will be heavy.

But factors like stress and poverty can also affect the mix.

My grandkids are normal size but I am sad what they think is good eating is confined to macaroni and cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, potatoes, and hamburgers.

Actually I never meet a hamburger that I didn’t love !

But I love all kinds of vegetables, but my grandkids consider vegetables as poison.

Kids today have a real eating problem which leads to weight gain.

Chocolate Bars are not the top of the food pyramid.
There are numerous threads over on Mumsnet where posters are either accused of starving their children (who are of the normal weight for their height and age) or where posters are doing the 'he's just big boned and it's puppy fat he will grow into' thing. We've lost sight, as adults, of what 'normal' looks like, so the fatter we get, the fatter 'normal' becomes and it's only remarked on when it becomes so big that it impedes daily life. So overweight adults believe themselves to be average, and it perpetuates down through the next generation.

But apparently nowadays the 'average' size for a woman is 16. When I was at the upper end of size 14 I was edging into the obese category.

There are numerous threads over on Mumsnet where posters are either accused of starving their children (who are of the normal weight for their height and age) or where posters are doing the 'he's just big boned and it's puppy fat he will grow into' thing. We've lost sight, as adults, of what 'normal' looks like, so the fatter we get, the fatter 'normal' becomes and it's only remarked on when it becomes so big that it impedes daily life. So overweight adults believe themselves to be average, and it perpetuates down through the next generation.

But apparently nowadays the 'average' size for a woman is 16. When I was at the upper end of size 14 I was edging into the obese category.
I Can't find the South Park clip where Cartman offers his usual excuse of "I'm not fat I'm big boned", and Kyle replies with "You've got one hell of a bone in your arse then."

mumsnet is a bit of a mess though. With the potential to create 10,000,000 usernames I strongly doubt most of what people post on there. It’s such an incendiary site, I’ve witnessed women being torn to shreds for having a low BMI.
I’ve always referred to it as a small island of intolerance and class fanaticism.

mumsnet is a bit of a mess though. With the potential to create 10,000,000 usernames I strongly doubt most of what people post on there. It’s such an incendiary site, I’ve witnessed women being torn to shreds for having a low BMI.
I’ve always referred to it as a small island of intolerance and class fanaticism.
Yes, it can at times be a bastion of Middle Class outrage, but there are shreds of sensible advice in there too. It's not really any worse than any other forum for a mixture of people trenchantly holding onto views that are not shared by everyone. (Nods wisely).

This is about the best readily available chicken soup imo. Quite thick, very chickeny, actual bits of chicken in it. All their soups are pretty good. Being a cheapskate though I only buy them when they’re half-price when I get a few. They last weeks in a fridge. Enough in them for two.

View attachment 63731
Hang on a cotton pickin' moment; I thought you were pescatarian?

Yes, it can at times be a bastion of Middle Class outrage, but there are shreds of sensible advice in there too. It's not really any worse than any other forum for a mixture of people trenchantly holding onto views that are not shared by everyone. (Nods wisely).
‘Shreds’ is the word :chuckle:

Yes I bite the heads off & eat ‘em raw, brains ’n all. Takes a bit of chewing. I’m not weird or nuffin' though.
Your avatar indicates that you like eating trout. A lot of trout.

Me? No, don’t know what gave you that idea. I like fish for sure but not exclusively.
I have realised what happened. I was getting you mixed up with blessmycottonsocks.
It's with you both having very similar names.

We watched that. Gruesome.

What in particular elevates the risk when 'going abroad'?

Turkey wouldn't be high on my list of destinations for medical tourism, but neither is it an unregulated third-world danger-zone.

At least, I didn't think it was.

Turkey wouldn't be high on my list of destinations for medical tourism, but neither is it an unregulated third-world danger-zone.

Why are you asking me?

Turkey as a destination for medical procedures seems to have become fashionable recently, particularly for so-called “Turkey teeth.”

The implication that l perceive is that Turkish dentists are more prepared to perform invasive procedures simply for cosmetic reasons.

Maybe a higher throughput of potentially risky operations results in a disproportionate number of dissatisfied punters.

maximus otter

You may have been thinking of this post rather than mine -

Seven British people die and others suffer severe complications following gastric band weight-loss surgery in Turkey:

BBC 3 programme tonight at 21:00 GMT explores the dangers of going abroad for weight-loss surgery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64515557

I watched from a sense of morbid curiosity rather than genuine concern.

Turkey as a destination for medical procedures seems to have become fashionable recently, particularly for so-called “Turkey teeth.”

The implication that l perceive is that Turkish dentists are more prepared to perform invasive procedures simply for cosmetic reasons.

Maybe a higher throughput of potentially risky operations results in a disproportionate number of dissatisfied punters.

maximus otter

Thanks.

I'd never heard of this.

My (literal) neighbourhood has one of the biggest concentrations of cosmetic surgeries anywhere in the world and the most famous ones very much cater for foreign clients with full translations and overseas reps to solicit bookings and consultations abroad.

It seems to be seriously big business.

I'm going with " for money reasons". Especially since some of the weight loss surgery clinics shacks told the hypothetical BBC person to put weight on in order to get weight loss surgery.
Six of the clinics we approached were happy to accept someone with a BMI of 24.5 for extreme weight loss surgery.
Separately, the BBC also found that some clinics who refused the treatment actually then encouraged patients to put on weight, to enable them to be accepted for surgery.
One said: "You need to gain 6.7kg to have sleeve surgery. I think you can easily eat some food and then lose weight easily." Another asked: "How soon can you gain weight?"

I'm going with " for money reasons". Especially since some of the weight loss surgery clinics shacks told the hypothetical BBC person to put weight on in order to get weight loss surgery.
Yup, people desperate to lose weight might see the operation as a miracle cure, when they will actually need industrial-strength willpower for the rest of their lives to keep to the type and size of meals they can eat safely. The operation will not work otherwise.

Back