• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are You Searching For The Golden Treasure Of The Entente Cordiale?

The problem, one assumes, for a cartoonist intending to portray ideas of German domination or aggression is that they mustn't suggest Nazism. Instead they have to fall back on Kaiser-era symbolism along with good old sexual perversion. Could do better.

I am reminded of Max Mosley's private business which was shamefully spread all over by a salacious and prurient rag....

It's appalling. What is it about so many men in political circles that they fear women who won't fawn over them or at least be submissive? And despite the cartoon's insulting nature, there's an undertone of fear there.

Bell is generally very good, with an especially sharp eye for any aspect of a politician that he can illustrate. His Chancellor's Clawback Trousers had me in stitches. :chuckle:
He shouldn't slide into cheap stuff like portraying women as sex workers.

Yep. To be honest, I just dislike the 'grotesque' nature of political cartoons and caricatures - I end up even feeling sorry for politicians I can't stand! :D
This is the risk they take.
Their image is carefully constructed and maintained. It's the cartoonists' and satirists' job to question that process.
Accepting what politicians tell us about themselves is deference. That went out of the window in the '60s - not without a fight.

What is it about so many men in political circles that they fear women who won't fawn over them or at least be submissive?
I doubt anyone here needs me to tell them this, but it isn't just men in political circus—er, circles—who appear to fear women who are dignified, self respecting human beings who don't live by fawning over male power brokers.

Has this thread properly, utterly, absolutely derailed yet? Montparnasse derailment.png If not, don't blame me!

Back