• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are You SUPERFLUOUS?

I’m definitely superfluous. After years of hard work and study to become a chartered professional it has dawned on me that all the youngsters, fresh out of school/Uni/College, along with the elder micro managers all know how to do my job far better than I do.

Good discussion. I think that much of the troubles that @EnolaGaia notes about some people when they retire, does have to do with people needing a purpose in life. When we talk about blue collar workers and people who have done these jobs for their entire lives,imo, they often have the impression that they are only as worthwhile as their jobs are viewed in society. Once the job is gone, they have no worth to society.

People who do better in retirement, (I think studies have shown, but can't quote any) are people who have actively searched for what they want to do in retirement. I know people who are "retired" who work at paid jobs, casually, or who volunteer. Many people I've spoken to make comments that they are busier in retirement than they ever were when they worked. Personally, I think the most difficult thing about retirement is the possibility of being isolated from society.

I think that people who are isolated from society, not by their choice, have the feeling of being superfluous and not needed. We humans are social beings.

@Analogue Boy, I think your idea of building communities around young people and elders is where we should be going. I have noticed that when people are isolated according to age groups, for example, there is less empathy and understanding and more fear between groups because the groups have not been exposed to each's experiences.

@Mythopoeika, I would definitely report the inattention of the carers to the people. Sometimes, I believe that it is an ignorance. People do things without thinking of their actions and how these actions affect others. Actions speak louder than words. It shows a lack of respect (imo) to people who rely on the carers' assistance. I work with people who are developmentally challenged and notice that, with the ubiquitous cell phones, many people engage with them more than they do with the people in front of them. I try daily to remind myself that I may be in the position, one day, of needing someone else's assistance and how I would like to be treated.

Back