• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Argentina

Seems there's been a spate of Argentinian filmmakers poring over the Junta's crimes, like Chile's filmmakers did with Pinochet. A Common Crime is a worrying film that indicates the police will still "disappear" people to this day (it was released last year).

Seems there's been a spate of Argentinian filmmakers poring over the Junta's crimes, like Chile's filmmakers did with Pinochet. A Common Crime is a worrying film that indicates the police will still "disappear" people to this day (it was released last year).
I once worked for an Argentinian guy (who did the best BBQ/Asado you'll ever have by the way), and on his wall was a photograph of himself and his friends who were in a band together at University. He pointed to various people on the photo and concerning the 'disappeared', said 'never saw him again, or him, or him.....'

I once worked for an Argentinian guy (who did the best BBQ/Asado you'll ever have by the way), and on his wall was a photograph of himself and his friends who were in a band together at University. He pointed to various people on the photo and concerning the 'disappeared', said 'never saw him again, or him, or him.....'

Priests were involved in the torture and disappearances.

Survivors of crimes committed by the 1970s military junta in Argentina are fighting to see a priest stand trial for his alleged role in kidnappings and torture against opponents of the regime.

As Elena Basso reports from San Rafael in Argentina, the case shows that the wounds caused by the coup are still far from healed.

"The moment I saw Franco Reverberi, the priest from my village, come in, was the moment I thought I was going to die," recalls Mario Bracamonte.

The fact that a clergyman was visiting him in his prison cell in northern Argentina came as no comfort at all.

"I was lying on the floor soaked in blood after a night of torture. He came in dressed in his military uniform and looked at me impassively. I could not believe it."

Mario Bracamonte was one of thousands of Argentines who were kidnapped by soldiers after the military coup on 24 March 1976.

The military junta led by Jorge Videla which seized power targeted anyone who opposed the dictatorship and an estimated 30,000 people were killed before the transition to democracy in 1983.

Mario, who was 28 at the time, had ended up in the soldiers' sights for his left-wing activism. Like thousands of others before and after him, he was taken to a clandestine detention centre where perceived opponents of the regime would be tortured away from prying eyes. ...

That year, Franco Reverberi had been summoned to appear at a trial against soldiers accused of crimes committed under military rule, but not as one of those accused, but rather as a witness.

However, as part of that trial, four former detainees - among them Mario Bracamonte - testified that Father Franco Reverberi, an Italian national by birth, had been a regular at the clandestine detention centre.

They said that rather than helping the prisoners, he would watch them being tortured, sometimes holding a Bible while he was telling them that it was God's will that they provide their torturers with the information they were after. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-66574950

Priests were involved in the torture and disappearances.

Survivors of crimes committed by the 1970s military junta in Argentina are fighting to see a priest stand trial for his alleged role in kidnappings and torture against opponents of the regime.

As Elena Basso reports from San Rafael in Argentina, the case shows that the wounds caused by the coup are still far from healed.

"The moment I saw Franco Reverberi, the priest from my village, come in, was the moment I thought I was going to die," recalls Mario Bracamonte.

The fact that a clergyman was visiting him in his prison cell in northern Argentina came as no comfort at all.

"I was lying on the floor soaked in blood after a night of torture. He came in dressed in his military uniform and looked at me impassively. I could not believe it."

Mario Bracamonte was one of thousands of Argentines who were kidnapped by soldiers after the military coup on 24 March 1976.

The military junta led by Jorge Videla which seized power targeted anyone who opposed the dictatorship and an estimated 30,000 people were killed before the transition to democracy in 1983.

Mario, who was 28 at the time, had ended up in the soldiers' sights for his left-wing activism. Like thousands of others before and after him, he was taken to a clandestine detention centre where perceived opponents of the regime would be tortured away from prying eyes. ...

That year, Franco Reverberi had been summoned to appear at a trial against soldiers accused of crimes committed under military rule, but not as one of those accused, but rather as a witness.

However, as part of that trial, four former detainees - among them Mario Bracamonte - testified that Father Franco Reverberi, an Italian national by birth, had been a regular at the clandestine detention centre.

They said that rather than helping the prisoners, he would watch them being tortured, sometimes holding a Bible while he was telling them that it was God's will that they provide their torturers with the information they were after. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-66574950
At 85 I doubt he'll ever get extradited now.

Back