• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Arizona Twilight Zone

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
[Edit: This thread drifted into more general territory so we'll make it it the general thread for Arizona weirdness although we'll keep the title for now.

See other relevant threads:

Dinosuar petroglyphs:
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11508

Mysterious Towers of the West
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21190 ]

Its quite a long article but I'll quote it in full (the article has lots of photos too so worth a gander):

PUBLISHED ON MAY 15, 2003:

Mysteries in the Mountains

A real-life Twilight Zone may exist in Southeastern Arizona near the Mexican border.

By RON QUINN

Deep in the mountains close to the Mexican border, a mysterious place exists where time is altered at random.

A joke? Not according to Ron Quinn.

Quinn first submitted his stories to The Weekly's former editor, Michael Parnell, in November 2002. Upon his departure in January, Parnell passed them on to current Weekly Editor Jimmy Boegle.

The Weekly staff decided to publish them; after all, they are quite compelling. Plus, Quinn's got some credibility; a life-long treasure hunter, Ron Quinn's stories have been appeared in Arizona Highways, Treasure Magazine and Fate.

The Weekly does not know the location of the site Mr. Quinn speaks of, nor could we verify the events mentioned. Therefore, we present his anecdotes as interesting stories--nothing more.

--Irene Messina

This fascinating journey into the unknown began in early 1956 and still remains an unsolved mystery today.

It all began during a two-year adventure into Southern Arizona in search of lost mines and hidden Spanish treasures. High among the rugged terrain bordering Mexico, my brother Chuck and I discovered a location where time itself is altered. This natural freak of nature lies deep within a region seldom visited by modern man.

The reason I'm bringing this tale to light after all this time is because something in the works might effect this interesting place. Tucson Electric Power Company plans on building a 345,000-watt high-voltage transmission line from Tucson to Nogales. The line could come quite close to this site.

When this line becomes active, what, if anything, will this enormous voltage do to this delicate location? Enhance the natural energy already lurking within it, or nothing? Only time will tell.

The following stories all took place around this mysterious location.

Lights in the Sky
This all began after my release from the military. My brother Chuck asked if I'd be interested in taking an extended trip to Arizona to search for several of the legendary lost treasures allegedly hidden during the Spanish occupation. This ignited my adventurous spirit, so plans were made. We saved enough capital, with the help of our parents, for two years. I was 23; Chuck was 26.

We left Tacoma, Wash., on March 20, 1956. Our final destination was Arivaca, Ariz., a small desert hamlet of perhaps 70 residents. This old adobe village was located squarely in the center of the country harboring some of these well-known hidden treasures.

About three weeks into this treasure game, Chuck and I were relaxing at camp one evening. Towards the south, the craggy peaks of the Tumacacori Mountains were silhouetted against the darkening sky.

Our attention was directed toward two large balls of blue-green lights slowly descending behind the mountains several miles away. They were not flares, as no sound of aircraft broke the silence of the night. Both vanished within minutes.

The following night at precisely the same time, 8:05 p.m., the lights appeared once again near the identical location. These also disappeared behind the peaks.

Several days later, Louie Romero, a local cowboy who rode for the Arivaca Ranch, stopped by. Over several weeks, we became friends and learned a great deal of the history about the area from him. While in Arivaca, we heard from the locals that if Louie tells you something, you can bet your life it's the truth.

During one of his weekly visits, Louie told us many stories centering around the nearby mountains. Several bordered on the paranormal. After describing the odd lights we had seen, he smiled, saying he and others have spotted them since 1939 in the same location. Over the months, we saw them several more times.

Doorway to the Gods
One day, as we were returning to Arivaca, we spotted an old truck parked beside the road with a flat tire. Not having a spare, the gentleman stood beside his vehicle trying to hitch a ride to the nearest service station. We picked him up and soon arrived at the Kinsley Ranch and gas station.

After having the tire repaired, we returned John, an Indian, to his truck where we mounted the tire for him. John couldn't thank us enough, as not many white men had shown him such kindness.

A month or so later at camp, we spotted a rider approaching--and were surprised to see it was John. He told us he was working temporarily for a local ranch, checking the fence lines.

While talking in general about the surrounding country, Chuck mentioned we were treasure hunting. As a boy, John said he heard many of the tales of lost mission gold and silver. He also believed some of the tales were true, as treasure was found in 1907 near Nogales.

Later, John told us about a mysterious stone archway. Roy told him we came across such a formation south of camp. John's first words were, "Did you walk through its opening?"

Walt answered, "No. We noticed it while descending a slope, but paid little attention to the oddity."

John told us around the 1800s, three Indians were hunting and upon returning to their village, discovered a stone archway. Being in a jubilant mood, they began chasing one another through the opening in a playful manner.

Moments later, one jumped through but never emerged from the opposite side. Fearing they had entered some sacred ground of the gods, the remaining two fled the scene. Arriving at the village, they told the medicine man how their friend had vanished before their eyes.

As the story spread, others journeyed to the high plateau to gaze upon the stone structure. Rocks and other items were tossed through, but nothing occurred--until an elderly woman approached. Tossing in a live rabbit, it suddenly vanished. The Indians backed off in fear and spread the story of this "Doorway to the Gods," as it came to be known.

John himself has been to the site on many occasions. The only time he witnessed anything strange was around 1948. A big storm had blown in, and the sky was filled with dark clouds in all directions. As he rode past the archway, he noticed the sky through its opening was blue--no clouds were visible. Dismounting, he walked cautiously toward the formation and peered through. The mountains on the other side hadn't changed, but the sky was clear. Looking around the corner of the structure, the sky was once again covered with dark clouds. Fear gripped him and he rode off.

Some believe John was looking into another time period through the portal. We asked John: If the story was indeed true, why hadn't it been investigated? He replied that only his people knew of the story, as it had never been mentioned outside the tribe. The only reason he told us was because we had shown him kindness while stranded beside the highway.

Curious, we decided to make another trip to the remote site with Roy Purdie and Walter Fisher--two fellow treasure hunters who were camping with us. It's a rugged climb, and the torturous, craggy mountains play no favorites. Enter their domain, make an error, and you'll be added to the list of the injured and missing.

This mysterious area is covered with windswept rock formations that dot the landscape. Searching further, we discovered an enormous deposit of geodes. The ground was littered with them. Some had broken open, revealing their crystal-lined interiors.

As we approached the archway, the structure took on a menacing appearance. It stood beside a rocky slope, and was perhaps 7 feet high by 5 feet in width. Its columns measured approximately 15 inches in diameter and were made of andesite.

Chuck jokingly tossed several rocks through, but nothing happened. Next, I placed my arm in. Roy, the superstitious member of our foursome, said I was flirting with danger if the story was true. Knowing his nature towards the unknown, I decided to play a joke. I suddenly yelled, like something was pulling me through. Jumping back, I began laughing as Roy cussed me out. By now, we were all close friends, so no offense was taken.

After several hours we departed this interesting location, carrying a number of geodes. I remember glancing back at this lonely part of the world, wondering if there was truly something within the area that could alter time at random. Was it just the archway itself, or were other unknown natural forces at play?

We would definitely discover the answer--at least to the time-altering question.

Horses From Beyond
It was roundup time on the Arivaca Ranch. That evening, Louie and several others were camping beside the corral just north of the mountains to get an early start the following morning.

As they sat around having coffee and making small talk, Louie noticed how still the night was. Most evenings, one could hear the night sounds of the desert. But this time it was unusually quiet, and the livestock seemed restless.

As they were about to bed down, they suddenly heard the rumbling of approaching horses. As the sound grew closer, one could hear the clattering of hoofs among the rocks accompanied by the whinnying of many horses. As the sound increased, the boys dove for cover, expecting to see a herd of horses stampeding through camp. But as the rumbling reached the opposite side of a nearby canyon, it abruptly ended.

The following morning, they searched, but found no evidence of horses. Louie mentioned wild horses once roamed the country around the turn of the century. Were Louie and the others caught on the outer edge of some time change?

It turns out they were near our mysterious archway.

(Before continuing, I'd like to set forth a theory told to us by a party well-versed in the field of the strange and paranormal: Perhaps an enormous deposit of geodes beneath the surface might be effecting time in some mysterious manner. When all the natural elements --the vibration of the crystals, the electricity in the atmosphere and the magnetic fields in the earth--come together at the precise moment, laws of nature are turned topsy-turvy, and things occur beyond our understanding. It could be like dropping a stone into a pool of calm water--the archway being the stone and the waves expanding outward could be the natural forces. These might reach anywhere from several yards to a mile. Depending upon the activation, everything within this radiating circle could be thrown into a different period of time. When it fades, things return to normal.)

Ghostly Padre
This story was told by a reliable rancher and also took place within the shadows of the puzzling archway. It involves the appearance of a Spanish padre long since dead: a ghost--or perhaps not.

Several hundred years earlier, a Jesuit priest, whose name has long since been forgotten, built a small mission east of Arivaca. The residents gave their most treasured possessions to him for safe-keeping, as they feared robbery. These were hidden somewhere near the church grounds.

One morning, a Mexican woodchopper found the elderly padre dead. After he was put to rest, the villagers suddenly realized he was the only one who knew the location of their valuables. They searched, but nothing was ever found.

Over the years, many cowboys and others have reported seeing a dark-robed figure walking near the site of the old mission, which has long since crumbled back into the dry earth. The description given resembles that of a Spanish padre. One rancher told us quite frankly, "Nobody will ever convince me otherwise. I know what I saw that afternoon. The figure wasn't any ghost. It walked across a wash disturbing the gravel and casting a long shadow."

The figure slowly became transparent, shimmered several times then vanished.

Again, was the witness caught in another trick of time produced by the site? Or was he himself back in the 18th century, watching the padre going about his daily rounds? Too bad our rancher didn't see the mission. That would be hard evidence he wasn't in his own time.

Spanish Soldiers
Another mind-boggling story involves two cowboys out searching for a sick bull. Both separated and rode off in different directions. One rider paused atop a hill searching the country below with his binoculars. Suddenly, he felt a stone bounce off his hat. Turning, he expected to find his companion had tossed it jokingly, but nobody was there. Another stone hit his arm, but once again nothing was seen.

While scanning the terrain again, he spotted his friend several hundred yards below. In the distance, he saw the bull. Waving, he shouted to his partner signaling to him which direction to go.

While descending the hill, he spotted a group of six riders traveling eastward. They rode in single file and were about half a mile off.

Stopping, he looked through his field glasses--and was amazed at what he saw. His description of the horsemen resembled pictures he had seen of Spanish soldiers with tunics, lances and helmets. He followed their movements until the scene "shimmered" and faded.

Once again, this occurred near the archway's realm. A column of soldiers traveling east? The only fort in that direction was the presidio located at Tubac during the Spanish occupation.

Indian Revisited
During the mid-1940s, Louie and another ranch hand came upon the skeletal remains of what appeared to be that of an ancient Indian. Beside the body was a rotted bow. The Indian's clothing was of animal skins, and a leather moccasin clung to one foot. The skull and one leg were missing.

Could this have been the Indian who vanished so long ago? The body was discovered less than a mile south of our strange location. They buried the remains nearby, marking the grave with several large rocks. Louie noted that the body didn't resemble 200-year-old remains.

Before hearing the above tale, I often wondered what became of the Indian allegedly swallowed by the archway. If the portal was visible from the opposite side, why didn't he come back through? He might have never noticed a change and, to him, his friends had disappeared. Not finding them, he eventually returned to his village and perhaps also found it missing. Perhaps he was somehow transported forward in time, and for some unknown reason, died on that lonely hillside, only to be found by Louie years later.

The Shimmer
One day, Walt and Roy had their own weird experience near the stone portal. They returned there because Walt wanted to collect some geodes for friends in Tucson.

Looking toward the archway, both saw it appear to shimmer. According to Walt, this lasted several minutes before it slowly faded. During this period, both felt a strange pressure within their ears.

Roy said, "That's it Walt. I'm outta here." After gathering a number of geodes, both left with Roy leading the way--rather fast.

During the summer months, temperatures can reach 110 degrees. The heat waves dancing off a flat surface can make objects appear to shimmer while looking through them. But this was mid-January and the temperature was around 60 or so.

Old Roy would never again return to the site, no matter how we tried to persuade him.

Was the shimmering and ear sensation the beginning of some activation that never reached its full potential? Seeing the expression on Roy's face after he returned to camp--take my word, it happened.

Ghost Camp
A number of individuals have disappeared from the unfriendly rugged hills over the years. Did some make the unfortunate mistake of entering the portal at the wrong time? The following suggests that possibility.

While the four of us were checking out an old silver workings, we came upon a deserted miners camp that Louie had told us about weeks earlier. Everything was left behind--rotted clothing, tools, drill steel, old blankets and cooking utensils. Everything was there to maintain a functional camp. By the looks of several items, I'd say the site was active during the 1930s.

It looked as though somebody just walked away and never returned--or couldn't. The camp was almost a mile from the bizarre site high above. Did this party fall victim to it, or did he become discouraged with mining and abandon camp? I find this highly unlikely.

We also heard a story about a lone prospector who arrived each October and remained until spring. This continued for several years. One day, he vanished, leaving his horse, wagon and camp behind. It was located near a saddle in the mountains--just north of you know what. A body was never found.

We visited this site and found a deep shaft nearby with numerous open cuts on a hill. Was he prospecting or treasure hunting? It was rumored that some bandit's loot--two bags of gold coins--was buried within this area.

Stories like this keep people like us searching.

Stones From the Heavens
Another close encounter occurred about 14 months into our treasure game, a game that seemed to be going nowhere.

While in Arivaca picking up needed supplies, we met three other treasure hunters. They were in the area for a month seeking the famous "Lost Treasure of Carreta Canyon" hidden by the fleeing padres from the Tumacacori Mission during the great Pima uprising of 1751.

We invited them to stop by camp and gave them directions. Several weeks later, they arrived and had an interesting story to tell. By chance, while traveling overland, they camped near the mouth of the canyon leading to the strange area. We discovered this when one pointed to their campsite on his map.

While relaxing one evening after a long, tiring search for this elusive treasure, they heard a sound like rain hitting the tent. Stepping outside, they saw the sky was clear. All at once a shower of hundreds of small stones came cascading down around them. Most were the size of a large pea, were reddish brown and resembled hematite, an iron ore.

Picking several up, they noticed they were quite warm to the touch. Their camp wasn't located near any high cliffs where the stones could have originated. George, a member of the group, jokingly said: "Perhaps we're camping on some ancient Indian burial ground and the spirits want us to leave." He had read an article about an incident similar to this occurring on a burial ground somewhere in the Midwest.

By now, one has to admit something quite out of the ordinary encircles this strange site. I won't definitely say their encounter with the warm stones had anything to do with our odd out-of-time region. Indian spirits or not, something weird occurred while they sat relaxing in their tent.

My Encounter
After our two-year adventure ended without finding buried gold or lost mines, we returned to Washington State for almost a year. We then moved to Arizona, making Tucson our home.

Most of our adult lives have been one long adventure after the other. If Roy and Walt arrived at our door with some wild treasure lead, we'd be off with them the next day. To live such a lifestyle, we all remained single. We were one big happy family of devil-may-care adventurers.

The strange experience I had occurred on Oct. 14, 1973. During one of our two-week adventures, I found myself near the canyon that leads towards that oddball site. Not having been there in almost four years, I decided to pay it a visit. The canyon was just as rugged as ever. After climbing and slipping among the boulders, I finally arrived at the steep hill leading to the site above.

It's a long, weary climb, so I paused for a breather half way up. I sat on the slope facing north. Too my left (west), the steep hill followed the canyon perhaps a mile, but something was definitely wrong. Below to my left was a canyon--where none had existed. Curious, I made my way down, entering it from the eastside, so I thought.

I soon discovered I was in the same canyon that led toward the hill I had just scaled. I was more than 250 yards back down the canyon on a different slope and now I was facing south--I had mysteriously been transported to the new location. Thinking I was looking west, I was really looking east seeing the canyon I had just hiked.

There was no way on earth I could have reached this other slope while climbing the original hill. Knowing where I was, suddenly I knew why this had happened. Any skepticism I had about this crazy site vanished.

I was apprehensive about continuing and should have departed the area immediately. But curiosity led me on. I made the grueling climb once again, passing the spot where minutes before I had been resting.

I realized that if something within this site caused my teleportation, I might not even be in my own time. What a frightening thought that was. I felt somewhat alarmed over the incident that occurred.

Soon, I arrived at the site and looked around. Everything appeared normal. No shimmering effects, lights or other odd observations were observed. However, I noticed how silent it was--not a breeze, a birdcall, nothing. Looking down, I saw the hairs on my arms standing straight up like being near static electricity. I began feeling uneasy and decided to leave.

It seemed each time we visited this twilight zone, we'd discover another geological oddity, and this time was no different. While descending the hill, I found an outcropping of thunder eggs--a cryo-crystalline variety of quartz found in egg-shaped nodules. We had searched this area before, and I couldn't understand how we missed seeing them. After gathering several, I continued on.

If what happened was caused by this tricky mysterious region, I didn't want to perhaps get zapped a second time and wind up God knows where. I was quite relieved when I climbed from the canyon and found my Jeep where I had left it three hours earlier.

Glancing skyward, I spotted a jet passing over. I sure was happy it wasn't some prehistoric bird. I joke now, but something serious could have occurred while in the presence of that weird, upside-down area.

That evening at camp, I tried to arrive at some satisfactory answer to what may have happened. Some force could have been released from the area, but being well below the site, I didn't receive its full impact. Anyway, something moved me within a micro second without ever realizing something occurred. This wasn't my imagination.

I have kept the location secret all these years, as I do not want the area turning into some circus sideshow. Only five living friends of mine know its location. The others--Roy, Walt and Louie--have gone on to that Big Desert in the sky, where all of us will meet again. It is not some UFO landing site or mythical place to communicate with spirits from the beyond, but it is capable of altering time at random.

On my last visit to this wondrous place, I discovered the top portion of the archway had collapsed. All that remains are the two columns. Will this damage interfere with its ability to change time? The following story answers that question.

New Visitors
During 2001, my friend Bill Riley and his wife, Mary, wanted to visit the area after hearing the remarkable stories surrounding it. Both had to promise not to reveal its location to others. After showing them the rugged route on a map, it still took them several attempts to find it.

During their first attempt to reach this forbidden zone, Bill injured his knee but managed to continue. I had to remind them how unfriendly this region can be while prowling its harsh domain.

On their second trip, they missed the right hill. However, they did discover a portion of the geode bed, and were amazed by its expense. That evening, while camping within the canyon, both claimed a slight vibration came from the nearby geodes when placing their hands upon them. Mary later mentioned it was a spooky place and she felt uneasy throughout the night.

The following morning while exploring, Bill discovered a hollow geode large enough to sit in. It's odd we didn't find this large geode while exploring, as I've been there perhaps 10 times.

Like I've mentioned, it's a real odd place. You see something one time and it's gone the next. Could these large geodes be the main source that activates the natural energy within the area, or just more wild unfounded speculation?

On their final trip into this never-never land of mystery, Bill and Mary found the correct hill. After an exhausting climb, they arrived at the site. Bill found most of what I told him to search for, but the archway eluded them.

While searching, Bill and Mary spotted what resembled the two columns off in the distance. Upon arriving where they should have been, both columns had vanished. Was this their imagination, or were the strange forces within the area playing with their minds?

After spending the day searching and not witnessing any strange activities except for the vanishing columns, they left arriving at their truck after dark. While preparing to leave and follow their tracks out to the ranch road, Bill glanced toward the canyon. In the sky above the site, a circular transparent donut-shaped glow was seen resembling the Aurora Borealis. From the inside rim, tiny sparkling particles were observed cascading downward. Taking his digita1 camera, Bill took a picture of the odd display before it vanished.

Later, only the black sky and the moon appeared in the photo. Using a magnifying glass something else could be seen, but it was too faint to make out.

Mary refuses to go there anymore.

Fact or Fiction?
What we have out there is a natural phenomena created accidentally by nature. It alters time, and there's no way to predict when this might occur. The majority of these tricks of time seem to occur during the summer and winter storm season when lots of energy is about. But others happen during the stillness of the night or on sunny days.

Undoubtedly, there will be the skeptics and believers. This is definitely not a hoax or a figment of this writer's imagination. Such a place exists high on a plateau near the Mexican border. Odd things do occur at random within its mysterious boundaries.

Can this site alter time? I believe so until proven wrong.

Strange activities no doubt still occur near this bewildering location but go unnoticed by human eyes due to its remote proximity to civilization. I'll no doubt return there again someday.

Will this uncanny mystery ever be solved? Only time will tell. I believe there's ample evidence to support the claim that something quite unnatural happens at random within this locale.

How does that saying go? Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/gbase/currents/Content?oid=oid:47018

Its a little old too but I couldn't find a mention of it so I thought I'd throw it open.

Thoughts? Anyone know the location? ;)

[edit: And his tales would go great in the FT]

Emps

That's a great find Emps! Reminds me of the 'Skinwalker Ranch' oddity.

A Louis Lamour book IIRC I think it was one his last, called 'The Haunted Mesa' dealt with Hopi beliefs and had a portal to another world in it. I hope I'm right in saying it was relating to the Hopi's belief that their ancestors came to Earth through such a portal.

Quixote said:
That's a great find Emps! Reminds me of the 'Skinwalker Ranch' oddity.

I keep seeing references to the Skinwalker Ranch, what is that?
I missed it somehow, never heard of it, can someone post a link?
I'm very hesitant to google 'Skinwalker' anything, to tell the truth...:eek:

Emperor, I'm so glad you printed the whole story. I love this one, now it won't be lost.

Yes this IS a really cool story, especially having spent some time in Sedona, Arizona. There is something to be said about it for sure.

A little case of synchronicity I thought I might share: I first read about the skinwalker ranch on the net (may have been on this mb) one morning a couple of months ago. That very night I came home to find my father watching the movie on TV (yes there was a movie made about it - made-for-TV, I believe). Neat huh? :D

there are definitely some unusual places in southern Arizona. anyone who has a chance to visit Cochise Stronghold in the Dragoon Mts should do so - wild site like Joshua Tree but with larger granite domes.

that said - the whole "geodes alter time" thing sound a bit too Castaneda. I did an ice climb last weekend that followed a gully which passed through a significant bed of geodes ( I even collected a few). Time did not pass any faster or slower that I could tell....

I'm not sure what the various Indian tribes are around this area but I was just pondering if there was a concentration of high strangeness in the areas occupied by the Anasazi (or Hisatsinom which is more appropriate as Anasazi is navajo for "ancient enemy" while Hisatsinom is the Hopi name for thir ancestors) and their descendants (the Hopi, Zuni and Pueblo)? Skinwalker ranch is in a Hopi/Navajo area I believe.

[edit: Yep:

The heart of the Anasazi region lay across the southern Colorado Plateau and the upper Rio Grande drainage. It spanned northeastern Arizona, northwestern New Mexico, southeastern Utah and southwestern Colorado

http://desertusa.com/ind1/du_peo_ana.html ]

The Hopi carry on Anasazi traditions and it is thought their ancestors were the original mammoth hunting inhabitants of the region (which may or may not have any bearing on the matter).

Some posts relating to the Anasazi (ley lines and disappearnaces) respectively:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=235825#post235825

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9739

Although not a great indicator of things I recall the X Files touched on the theme (esp. in the later/last episodes).

Emps

But the whole south end of Arizona is Apache territory, not Hopi or Navajo or Peublo...

Also different geology - volcanic rocks like basalts and tuffs, intermixed with plutonic outcroppings, not the red sandstone where most of the Anasazi lived.

The "arch of time" sounds like it's been taken straight out of the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever".

The Louis L'amour reference and Hopi legend was the first thing that came to mind as re: portals, I think that although the Hopi were not the indigenous peoples to that area, if Quinn was going to make up a fantastical story I'm pretty sure he would draw on whatever tales or legends he has heard of in his life. The other thing that struck me as I read it was "Oooh Stargate SGi!".

I'm scratching my head at the reasons why he approached the newspaper, was he attempting to highlight an environmental issue re: the transmission lines in an offbeat way? What is his ulterior motive against the power lines being introduced to that area?

The Horses from Beyond paragraph made me start humming 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' as soon as I had read it, although I am aware that the song refers to Cattle.

There are other literary references that sprang to mind later that have slight similarities, one is a D.H. Lawrence short story 'The Woman who Rode Away' and a short story by Ray Bradbury called 'Powerhouse' which is set in Arizona.

sninik said:
But the whole south end of Arizona is Apache territory, not Hopi or Navajo or Peublo...

Also different geology - volcanic rocks like basalts and tuffs, intermixed with plutonic outcroppings, not the red sandstone where most of the Anasazi lived.

The "arch of time" sounds like it's been taken straight out of the Star Trek episode "City on the Edge of Forever".

Good points - I should trust me instincts to not trust my istincts when posting just before going to bed ;)

It was the ST link that I was thinking of when I read that bit - good call on getting the name right.

What I find fascinating about these high strangeness areas (like here and Skinwalker Ranch) is that very rare paranormal events happen quite frequently and rather than being isolated incidents that can be put into a neat box (UFO, ghosts, time anomalies, etc.) and would suggest that:

1. They are all generated from inside our own minds.

2. They are all generated by the same phenomena out there.

3. They are our attempts to make sense of something that is actually beyond the comprehension of our tiny minds (like an ant trying to make sense of a cruel child toying with it or a TV or something so outisde its own world).

4. Something else ;)

Quixote: There are an awful lot of cultural references that have a resonance with this event. I was wondering if he had an agenda relating to the power lines but I think he might try a more straightforward approach like claiming to see a rare newt or soemthing or might try a more 'conventional' paranormal approach rather than throwing all sorts of different phenomena at the issue. I suppsoe the influence of culture on Fortean events is more iterative - people try and explain strange events which influences culture which helps shape the way people interpret strange events, etc.

Emps

other literary references could include ambrose bierce - three or four stories where a guy is seen walking and then suddenly disappearing. one should be titled <the difficulty of crossing a field> or sthg. like that and it's been quoted and discussed in various threads of this board

anyway, i hope i won't get flamed, but when i read sentences like
(quote from the article) While in Arivaca, we heard from the locals that if Louie tells you something, you can bet your life it's the truth. (/quote),

the words <Tall Tale, tall tale, tall tale> spring to (my) mind...

ginoide: No flaming here esp. as it is one of the first things that springs to mind. As i mentioned above I would have thought if he was making it up he might have made it more consistent - although if he is a champion bullshitter then he might have colected his best ones from over the years and jammed them together.

The only way to find out is to investigate further (I have a spare pair of undies and a toothbrush in my pocket and I'm ready to go).

Emps

i'm going down to Nevada next wk - not to Arizona :( but will keep my eyes (all 3) open for skinwalkers

I graduated from the University of Arizona in Tucson. Since I come from a military family, I've lived in a great many places, but, Tucson is definitely one of the odder locations.

Two stories:

One night, after dining with my roommate's family, as we were walking to the car, my roommate looked up at the sky, stopped, and said (as best as I can remember): "Uhhhh." That made me look up, too. The night was entirely dark, no moon, just the stars being bright in the clear desert air -- except for the great, big, almost circular, black hole in the sky through which no stars could be seen at all. The hole seemed to cover a quarter of the sky, and it wasn't moving, so it didn't seem to be a vehicle. We went back inside the house and stayed there until morning.

Another time, we were having a slumber party (all girls). Late in the evening (or early in the morning), I decided to go to bed and started to walk down the hall towards the room assigned. To my right were other rooms, one of which had the door open although the room was dark. As I passed the door, I saw very clearly the figure of the trickster kachina -- full size -- standing in the darkness. Of course, I stopped, backed up and stared into the room. The figure had vanished. Then, one of the other young women behind me said "You saw it, too." Apparently, almost all of us had seen the kachina when we walked passed the room, and it vanished for each one of us.

I'm with Ginoide on this one. If you compare it with the Skinwalker accounts the major difference is that it makes sense. What makes the Skinwalker accounts more credible to me is that they are strange and incoherent, almost dreamlike. If you were making up a story it would have more shape. In fact it would be a lot more like Ron Quinn's tales.

The Trickster Kachina?

Breakfast:

KACHINA translated “Spirit Being”

Centuries ago, native american indians began carving Kachina dolls as teaching tools for the children.

The elders came forth from the “Kiva” or ceremonial room whereupon they communicated with the spirits. What the spirits taught the elders were then illustrated to others through the spirit Kachina doll carvings.

Kachina Dolls, like the human Kachina Dancer, are visual representations of the invisible spirits that assist in the rigors of life.
There are Kachina spirits for every purpose . . . With over 900 documented kachinas.

http://kachina-dolls.com/

See also:

http://www.calacademy.org/research/library/elkus/collection/kacinas.htm

http://www.snowwowl.com/naartkachinadancers1.html

http://www.hopikachina.com/

I had a look and we don't seem to have a specific thread on the Trickster so could someone who knows a bit about it start one? I know I'd be very interested.

Emps

This whole magic stone archway story just does not make sense. It is fundamentally flawed. The guy says he is a "Treasure Hunter." A treasure hunter is someone who seeks objects of worth that they can use for monetary gain (or scientific gain). He found a mystical location that only he and a few others know about.

Wouldn't that be considered a "Treasure?" Wouldn't he be more than willing to reveal this mystical location to the highest bidder? What kind of Treasure Hunter will tell you that he has found a treasure of this sort, but wants to keep its location a secret?

I try to be very open minded when I read these kind of stories because they are very compelling, but i have to agree that this is just a tall tale. If this man really found something special and unique, he would attempt to exploit it for his own gain. That is human nature.

This is not the new gorilla we are searching for, just another DeLoy's ape.

---'goblin

Where the ghosts are believed to be
By JILL ZAREND-KUBATKO, Valley Life Editor
August 16, 2005

Sightings of what people say are "ghosts" or "spirits" around Casa Grande are abundant. Here various residents recall their contact with the unseen or apparitions.

Jillian O'Mara of Jillian's Kitchen restaurant asserts her former Lehmberg Avenue home had a woman spirit with "negative energy." O'Mara said friends would stop and wave to someone in the upstairs window. When they ventured into the room where the woman was spied, there was no one.

The resident of a home on 10th Avenue said she believes there are three spirits residing with her. She claims to have a little girl who plays at the back of the house, an older man dressed in black "Amish" clothes and an older woman who came with her from Phoenix five years ago.

She said she can see them all. "He likes to watch you," said the dark-haired woman who lives in the home. "If you walk into my bedroom, it's like a wall and you feel a force, you can't get in. It feels like there are a lot of people in my room," she added. The little girl will sometimes show herself to people and the older man scares her at times, she said.

"This town is full of them. The stone (historical) museum is full of them. My grandmother once told me I am special," she said of her sensitivity to the paranormal.

Sharon Aultman, who lives in Colonia del Sol just outside town, contends she has an "elderly couple" living with her family who knock down her ceramic angels placed above cabinets in the kitchen. "They open kitchen cabinets and close them," she said.

On Florence Street downtown, the Don family has owned buildings since the late 1800s when they opened the first Don Market. Fay Don, now 84, and her brother Cleve - who had a heart attack in the store several years ago - ran the newer Don Market, built in 1949 and now closed.

Passersby have claimed to see people peering out from windows of Don Market and Cleve is said to have remained and also to visit the store next door to the former grocery. Don didn't want to comment about the suspicious spirit stories, but she said, "I'm not afraid of ghosts, I'm more afraid of people."

Diane Rissel, owner of Balloonarrifics, said she believes her nightly visitor may be her landlord Fay Don's brother, Cleve. "Things happen and I am not sure why," she said. The apparition is a prankster, she said - he once kicked the chair out from under her while seated in the back room and she hit her head on the wall, knocking her out. She said that when she feels stressed, he offers a hand on her shoulder. "He likes to give back massages," she added. "It's a weird feeling."

Family members also have heard a voice utter "how are they doing?" and "have a good night." "I haven't seen him physically, just out of the corner of my eye," Rissel said. "I know it's him, but I don't know why."

"People are going to think I am sucking too much helium," she joked.

Marge Jantz, executive director of the Casa Grande Main Street program, said the former Johnson's Grocery has its own supernatural history. The original owner is said to have been robbed and murdered at the site in 1932. In later years the adobe building became a self-service laundry, Sofia's Mexican food restaurant and most recently Casa Grande Cafe. Jantz said its last owner told her that Sofia's had unseen entities pushing water-filled glasses across a table and knocking things over.

Another place rumored to have paranormal residents is the historic downtown Paramount Theatre, built in 1929 and recently refurbished. "There is a young girl there. She died falling from the balcony," restaurateur Michael Jackson said of one of the spirits. He once contacted a woman with a special sensitivity to spirits to check out the old theater for unseen visitors. "She came back and said 'there are things going on you should know about,'" he said. "There are 12 people there. She said they are all happy people."

The Property Conference Center also has a ghost, Jackson said. Formerly a 5,000-square-foot home, it was built by the Ethington family from Oklahoma. The matriarch of the family and her husband lived in the house modeled after their former home. After her husband died, Mrs. Ethington, a very religious woman, ran the home. As she was ready to die, she asked her sons on her death bed to promise they would live there and care for the home. They did not fulfill her wish and sold the building. Years later, Jackson took over the residence and turned it into The Property.

"We had a Mexican man as a caretaker once," Jackson recalled. "He slept in the basement and one night he saw a vision of La Llarona (a wailing woman cited in many ghost stories) and ran naked eight miles. He called his foreman and said he wanted his check the next day and would never go back to the job."

Jackson himself has spent time in the basement, but said he never saw anything. "I felt a presence, an eerie presence, like someone was in the room," he said. Two bartenders closing The Property at night have heard mysterious sounds. One claimed she heard her name called and she ran out the door.

Locals and various Web sites featuring ghost stories in Arizona report the following occurrences in the Casa Grande Valley:

-- At Lupita's Mexican Food - once Casa Grande Market - a couple was murdered and people claim to see "visitors."

-- Cafe de Manuel is said to have the ghost of the original building's owner, an old woman and a murdered clerk from when the building was used as a convenience store.

-- Against Abuse's first shelter was the scene of an unwelcome visitor, Executive Director Pat Griffen said. "We had to bring someone in to remove it."

-- Near Olive and Eighth Street was a combination home and mortuary owned by Mary Fisher in an old stone Pueblo Revival-style building. Her husband, Harry Fisher, who owned Fisher Funeral Home in 1919 on Main Street, was paid to move the town's graveyard from Florence Boulevard and Picacho Avenue to its present location south of town. Fisher was killed in August 1925 by a train and his wife took over the business and built the home now on Eighth Street with the proceeds from the relocation of the cemetery. Some have said spirits have been heard in the area.

-- While driving on the desert roads at the base of Casa Grande Mountain late at night, a black mist appears. If walking nearby, the mist is said to move with the person.

-- Casa Grande Ruins National Monument in Coolidge has had reports of ghosts of Indians performing ceremonies. The ruins has are several holes and windows constructed to observe astronomical objects or the change of seasons. The Hohokam Indians, who probably built the four-story adobe structure, lived in the area from 200 B.C. to 1100 A.D. They may have used it to train medicine priests from different tribes.

n The "Domes," a collection of structures at Thornton Road and Interstate 8, built for a factory that never opened, has sparked reports of a shadowy figure running from dome to dome and walking around the desert. There have been accounts of tapping noises on cars, weird vibrations and uneasy feelings by visitors to the scene.

-- Along the Santa Rosa Wash between Stanfield and Maricopa there have been sightings of "La Llorona." The legend of the woman in white has been repeated by families across the Southwest. The white lady some called "Maria" was said to steal children and could be heard searching for her own when water flowed in the wash. The stories vary from the woman's involvement with royalty from Spain to a woman known to dress up at night and venture into town.

The Spanish nobleman left Maria to return to his homeland. He returned many years later with a new wife. This broke Maria's heart and she slipped deeper into a depressive state. One night she took their three children to the wash and drowned them, then took her own life. The other version has her murdering her children so she could continue to fraternize in town. Because of her actions, she was cursed to walk the banks of the wash searching for the souls of her dead children. Sightings have varied from Pinal County to well into New Mexico.

-- In Florence, Arizona State Prison's Cellblock 3 and the death house are said to be haunted by those incarcerated or guarding prisoners. During a riot in 1973, two officers were beaten and stabbed to death in this cellblock by inmates. On several occasions when guards had locked all of the doors in the cellblock, they would find doors open in between inmate counts. Officers also have felt cold spots and heard the sounds of doors opening and closing as well as seeing misty forms appearing, according to "Haunted Hotspots in Arizona."

The cellblock is located in the same location as the Arizona death house, which is said to be haunted by the ghosts of condemned prisoners. The house contains a gas chamber and lethal injection room. Guards have reported hearing screams and other strange sounds, "Haunted Hotspots" says.

All around the state, sightings of spirits of the dead have been reported. The MVD Ghostchasers of Mesa group has recorded several episodes of hauntings, especially in hotels in Arizona. Debe Branning, director of the MVD Ghostchasers, is the author of "Sleeping With Ghosts - A Ghost Hunter's Guide to AZ's Haunted Hotels and Inns." Her book details the hauntings they have researched from Tucson to Prescott and beyond.

The International Ghost Hunters Society, with members in Casa Grande, offers a Web site "dedicated and committed to the research and study of ghostly phenomena ..."

"The IGHS is a society of ghost believers, ghost hunters and ghost researchers with over 15,000 members in 87 countries," the site claims. The Web site posts digital photography, film, video and other ghostly images.

Source

Another place rumored to have paranormal residents is the historic downtown Paramount Theatre, built in 1929 and recently refurbished. "There is a young girl there. She died falling from the balcony," restaurateur Michael Jackson said of one of the spirits. He once contacted a woman with a special sensitivity to spirits to check out the old theater for unseen visitors. "She came back and said 'there are things going on you should know about,'" he said. "There are 12 people there. She said they are all happy people."
I once saw a severely battered print of Star Wars at the Paramount, years and years ago. The only thing that sticks out in my mind, apart from the horrible film transfer, is the distinctive smell of pot smoke wafting down from the seats in the backrow.

I've lived in Arizona off and on for nearly 20 years now, and have heard of several places where supernatural encounters supposedly occur fairly regularly. To name just a few:

On historic Congress Ave., in Tucson, one can supposedly come face to face(?) with a headless woman who will tap you on the shoulder and make gurgling sounds (apparently from her neck stump, since she lost her head, supposedly in a car/train wreck). This is fairly close to the hotel where Dillinger stayed with his girlfriend, and sightings of his ghost are still reported to this day, most recently by the rock band the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, who spent a night in the hotel following a gig in Tucson.

An elementary school on Valencia Rd., closed at least since the mid-70's, and now used as a storage facility by the city of Tucson. The ghosts there are apparently of the prank-playing variety, and like to whisper, giggle, slam doors, and abscond with tools.

The ubiquitous ''white lady'' who can supposedly be seen standing outside the gates of Evergreen cemetary on Oracle. A varient on this theme are reports of a phantom hitchhiker who disappears shortly after entering the passenger-side of your car.

A couple of reports from Benson of your classical bigfoot/sasquatch-type hominid, usually seen standing in ditches and furrows by the sides of the road. This one I have to take with a grain of salt, as I am fairly familiar with the area, and there is basically NO ''cover'' (vegetation) for such an animal to hide in. As is the case for much of southern Arizona, the landscape is dominated by patchy, low scrub, not particularly amenable for giant, hair-covered bipeds.

Douglas AZ/Agua Prieta Mexico
the city of Douglas sits pressed against Agua Prieta, Mexico, and both are hotbeds of otherworldly activities, from the haunted Gadsen hotel in downtown Douglas (another headless apparition), to a number of tales of devils, huge demonic black dogs, and a large black ''ball'' that can be seen rolling to and fro across dirtroads in the more sparsely populated sections of Agua Prieta.

Slightly OT, but does anyone remember a feature in FT a couple of years ago about a valley in the North of England (might have been in Yorkshire) where people used to see all kinds of odd things? One story in particular about a giant black slug-thing really creeped me out.

In fact, I was recently rereading older issues of FT, and was pleasantly surprised to see the area in question featured on the ''Travel Channel'', as part of an episode on the joys of bucolic, rustic Britain.

Yeah - I looked in vain for a glimpse of the Monstro the Whale/Spice Worm doppelganger as mentioned in the FT article, and would have been satisfied with even an offhand remark regarding the critter/apparition/whatever, but - no luck. The area really needs to play to it's strengths. Quaint little hamlets and country roads are all fine and good, but think of the possibilities: ''Come see the legendary giant slug! Take pictures! Be trampled!''

It was a few months back, but I think it was Derbyshire. I could make an attempt at locating the exact issue of FT featuring the article by braving the stacks of books and mags lining the walls of my ''library'', but as I haven't any desire to make an appearance in the next ''Strange Deaths'' column (crushed by reading materials), I'll let some other intrepid reader correct me if I'm wrong.

Back