Arnold Became a Massive Fortean

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Of elementary 'flying saucer' fame, although he never described a 'saucer shaped enigma', did you know he became a profound follower...

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Kenneth Arnold presumably (unless going by OP's username, it's Arnold Layne uncovering a Saucerful of Secrets?). Could you give us more details, OP?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Obviously Arnold Ridley: he wrote the theatrical warhorse The Ghost Train before he was Pvt Godfrey in Dad's Army.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I was hoping it was Thomas Arnold, famed for Tom's Browned Trousers:

"I say, Brown, you have kept Flashman Gordon waiting for his muffin; he wants to probe you in the Turdis!"

Or his son, Matthew:

" . . . on the French coast, the light
Gleams and is gone; wtf was that?"

Or composer Malcolm Arnold, who wrote the score for The Sound Barrier.

Or Arnold Schoenberg:

"I feel the air of other planets . . . ":atom:

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I know - it was Arnold Vosloo, he was the Mummy in the remake that doesn't seem so bad now.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
" . . . on the French coast, the light
Gleams and is gone; wtf was that?"
Well I feel comfortable going off topic seeing as we aren't on topic yet .. NSFW

.. and we're talking about Arnold Jackson of Different Strokes

aarnold.jpg

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Sorry, which Arnold are you writing about? If this is UFO material, I shall move it.
Kenneth Arnold... athough inherently 'Flying Saucer' related, this concerns Arnold's subsequent fixation with Forteana.

I just wondered if this was well known...

Carse

Devoted Cultist
I don’t think it is well known, certainly I’d never read about it. An interesting piece of trivia nonetheless!

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
I think I read that pretty much the opposite was true. He was very interested in the UFO phenomenon, and worked for Gray Barker investigating the Maury Island mess. I'm sure I read that he told someone, maybe Jerry Clark, that he never even read the book Barker published under Arnold's name. Barker apparently fabricated all the "high strangeness" material in that book. I'm interested in learning more about this.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I think I read that pretty much the opposite was true. He was very interested in the UFO phenomenon, and worked for Gray Barker investigating the Maury Island mess. I'm sure I read that he told someone, maybe Jerry Clark, that he never even read the book Barker published under Arnold's name. Barker apparently fabricated all the "high strangeness" material in that book. I'm interested in learning more about this.
You're not far off it there, at all... and we're just touching on the 'mess', as you astutely surmise, which followed...

Will get back, soon as...

Bottom line... just wondered was there anyone on this fabulous Fortean Times website who's aware that Kenneth Arnold, later recalling his *many* experiences of encountering unidentified anomalies during his flights, became *compellingly" fascinated by, what we know identity as 'Fortean'?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
I don’t think it is well known, certainly I’d never read about it. An interesting piece of trivia nonetheless!
'TRIVIA!!!!!'....

At least you find this equally fascinating!

A wee clue... I would never have highlighted this without being 'Comfortably Numb' about evidencing same...

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Three things..

It's not that you doubted... you called it out as 'Trivia'....

Due penance now has to be served...

You can choose between a parachute jump and swimming with 'man eating' White Sharks in the wild...

What's that... 'how do I know the shark cage will be safe?'...

Don't recall mentioning anything about a cage...

And here's our evidence... proof, might I suggest... of aforesaid connection between Kenneth Arnold and his fascination with with, indeed *all things*, which we would now recognise as elementary Fortean...

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/the-flying-saucer-as-i-saw-it.14506/

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
Most of that stuff seems to be related to flying saucers though. Is there any evidence that KA was interested in the paranormal, out of place animals or any of the other topics that usually fall under the description of forteana?

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Most of that stuff seems to be related to flying saucers though. Is there any evidence that KA was interested in the paranormal, out of place animals or any of the other topics that usually fall under the description of forteana?
There most certainty is...

In his own publication, the two centre pages are entirely newspaper cuttings... the headlines including:

'3-Tailed Twister Kills Oklahoma Man, Hurts Wife'

'Oregon's Sea Monster Said Giant Squid...'

'DEATH RAY SLAUGHTERS 300 BIRDS OVER AIR BASE'

'Mystery Birdman Reported at Chehalis'...

That's all those two centre pages of his rare publication contain... nothing other than newspaper clippings of stories we would now consider as Fortean.

And that's it!

As proven, he was profoundly aware of Charles Fort.

Analis

Justified & Ancient
Of elementary 'flying saucer' fame, although he never described a 'saucer shaped enigma', did you know he became a profound follower...
You're right, Kenneth Arnold did become a Fortean investigator, interested in a variety of anomalous phenomena. But you're wrong when you write that he never described a saucer shaped enigma, as I suppose you refer to the 'fact' that he had refered to the movement and not the shape, an incomprehensible assertion in itself. But it is just an urban legend, as he had indeed described saucer- or disk-shaped objects. It is a canard that has been propagated by all manners of 'psychosociologist' pseudo-scientists and incompetent ufologists, and has parasited many books and discussions ; well, they have an excuse, as it was originated by Arnold himself, who, a few years later, distorted the truth and gave a bogus account of what he had said. And many people came to genuinely believe him. But now that the truth has been well established years ago, it should be put to rest once and for all.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Kenneth Arnold... athough inherently 'Flying Saucer' related, this concerns Arnold's subsequent fixation with Forteana.

I just wondered if this was well known...
IMHO describing Arnold as having become a dedicated and generalized Fortean investigator is overstating the case.

He rapidly achieved superstar status in the wake of his report, and his subsequent association with Ray Palmer and FATE kept him in the limelight among the paranormal / Fortean community.

Arnold complained about some aspects of this instant (for the times ... ) celebrity, including gripes about being inundated with letters, contact, and newspaper clippings on UFO sightings and an array of other weirdness topics.

My recollection from his 1950 self-published pamphlet (indirectly cited in post #16) is that the two-page montage of newspaper clippings included ones he'd been sent rather than ones he had been or was actively pursuing.