• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Art Imitating Life Imitating Art?

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I don't know if it really counts as an extraordinary coincidence per se, as its impossible to know if part of it were conscious decison, but I was watching the great movie Dog Day Afternoon yesterday and something occurred to me for the first time, even though I'd seen it before.

The film was the more or less accurate portrayal of a comically inept bank robbery and hostage situation that had taken place in new york a couple of years earlier.

I realised yesterday that the two bank robbers, one of them Al Pacino, are the same actors who played brothers in The Godfather - Michael and Freddy Corleone. Interesting enough if not that extraordinary. But then it hit me that Al Pacino's character is called Sonny....which was the name of the 3rd of the 3 Corleone brothers in the Godfather (james caan)!

I looked up the true story behind Dog Day Afternoon, the events of which took place in 1972 and it mentioned in passing that the real robber, who Al Pacino plays, " apparently based his plan on scenes from the movie The Godfather, which he had seen earlier that day."

We've got an odd case right now that fits this heading:

Famed heel "Nature Boy" Ric Flair is saying that he is going to take part in one last wrestling match at 73 and after major health problems including heart and kidney issues
https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/...e-part-in-last-match-on-july-31-in-nashville/

This turn of events, or real life storyline, has many things in common with the 2008 Mickey Rourke film The Wrestler, about an aging wrestler risking life and limb for one more bout.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1125849/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
This is a drama about an aging professional wrestler, decades past his prime, who now barely gets by working small wrestling shows in VFW halls and as a part-time grocery store employee. As he faces health problems that may end his wrestling career for good he attempts to come to terms with his life outside the ring: by working full time at the grocery store, trying to reconcile with the daughter he abandoned in childhood and forming a closer bond with a stripper he has romantic feelings for. He struggles with his new life and an offer of a high-profile rematch with his 1980s arch-nemesis, The Ayatollah, which may be his ticket back to stardom.

Back