• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World

A hell of a lot of money was spent to ensure that the millennium bug was a non issue. The way some people are talking, they'd be happier if there had been widespread catastrophes.

(NB. I worked for BAE in 1999 and I can assure you that a lot of money was spent to combat the problem. I have vague inklings that the MoD and DERA had also invested in it too)

A hell of a lot of money was spent to ensure that the millennium bug was a non issue. The way some people are talking, they'd be happier if there had been widespread catastrophes.

(NB. I worked for BAE in 1999 and I can assure you that a lot of money was spent to combat the problem. I have vague inklings that the MoD and DERA had also invested in it too)
Yeah having a disaster destroy your business is something I imagine most people try to avoid. If you can pay a programmer a few thousand dollars and make the disaster not happen it's an easy choice.

And talking of the Millennium Bug...

https://m.slashdot.org/story/365746
My favourite thing about the Millennium Bug was a conversation on the Jools Holland show, when Mr Holland asked Ronnie Wood what he was doing for New Year.

A clearly very drunk Mr Wood said "I'll tell you what I won't be doing and that's going anywhere near an airport or hospital".

"Why's that then?" asked Holland.

The inebriated Rolling Stone obviously wasn't expecting to be asked to elaborate and said "err... cos there'll be queues".

Last edited:
Back