Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
That's not the incident to which I was referring, though it may well have been the same radiotherapy machine. The incident I cited involved a single patient, and it was determined to have been caused by the expert system controller rather than a hardware problem with the radiation emission apparatus.

I had read of this incident and discussed it with medical AI researchers and managers prior to 1990 (when the series of Zaragoza incidents occurred).
There's Therac-25, but that was Canada/USA. Sure the incident you're referring to was in Spain?

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Driverless race car race, coming in 2021.

https://racer.com/2019/11/05/ims-to-host-driverless-indy-lights-race-in-2021/

-------------------------------------------------
Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Energy Systems Network (ESN) have announced a two-year, $1 million prize competition that will culminate in a head-to-head, high-speed autonomous vehicle race Oct. 23, 2021, around the Speedway’s famed 2.5-mile oval.

The Indy Autonomous Challenge is a competition among universities to create software that enables self-driving Indy Lights race cars to compete in a head-to-head race on the IMS track.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Meanwhile, this is an interesting essay, more than just a rehash of the GIGO truism, arguing that many of the datasets used in training machine learning systems have been, um, uncritically applied, with unfortunate results, such as the IBM system that was unable to identify non-white faces. Matters go from bad to worse from there...
"A child wearing sunglasses is classified as a “failure, loser, non-starter, unsuccessful person.” This explains so much about the adult me! Never stood a chance. :cool2:

And now AI can now generate its own loser child images without the benefit of children. If I understand correctly, 2 algorithms duke it out, one generating the images, and the other detecting the fakes. Each "learns" from its mistakes. This article has some quick tips for detecting the fakes using your own human eyeballs and brains, and includes the question we're already asking: how much longer before we can't tell the difference between real and fake even with exacting scrutiny?
https://qz.com/1115353/new-research...aked-ai-generated-photos-is-quickly-emerging/

Last edited: