• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Artwork From 'The Unexplained'

augustverango

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone know the name of the artist who did the UFO paintings for the Orbis partwork 'The Unexplained'?

<sniff!>

<sob...>

I feel so dis-serviced!

No-one cares!

Not really... does anyone even remember what I'm talking about!

Come on people!

Love ya really...

:D

Never mind August, at least this one isn't a 'right dead thread ' any more!

Carole

Exactly! I just couldn't bear seeing it sitting there all lonely at the bottom of the list anymore...

I will find my answer!

Someone must be sad enough to know!

I'll tell you tomorrow when I get home... although the illustrations where by several artists. The oil pastel ones I used to find particularly ghastly... mainly due to their rushed appearance!

Nowhere in the 13 volumes of the original set (or at least my set) does it mention the names of the artists who did the illustrations. If they are in there, perhaps they are encoded within the text a la Bible Code!

Jack, you've just gotta love those pictures! I actually think that more 'Fortean' books should be illustrated in a similar way! I wouldn't be anywhere near such a fan of The Unexplained series if it weren't for the illustrations. They are what justify it's place on my bookshelf! It's kind of a nostalgia thing, being as I kind of grew up looking at the things... some of which were pretty spooky back then...

Can't find any reference either... not read these books for ages... ha... "The Dyfed Enigma"... Dyfed seemed so mysterious aged 10...

Illustrations in The Unexplained were commissioned from various illustrators or publishing art houses.

Some of these illustrations were crude artists' conceptions of the subject matter, and some have been criticized for distorting the subject matter they were supposed to illustrate. This is a particular issue with cryptozoology and UFO illustrations.

For example, these uncredited illustrations for the Lough Fadda and Lough Nahooin monsters (below) have been criticized as not representative of original witness accounts. The Lough Fadda monster illustration was later reviewed and corrected by one of the original witnesses.

FaddaOrbis-sm.jpg
NahooinOrbis-sm.jpg

See:

http://www.dickraynor.co.uk/connemara.htm
https://aforteantinthearchives.wordpress.com/category/monsters/

Last edited:
I've located a copy of the corrected illustration I mentioned above. Here's a description:

In the summer of 2001, "Ann", one of the remaining members of the 1954 sighting, upon being presented with a copy of the illustration had a few adjustments. She pointed out that the neck was misrepresented as too long and crossed out the tail.

SOURCE: http://www.dickraynor.co.uk/connemara.htm

And here's what I'm confident is the image of the corrected sketch (MIA on the above-cited webpage) ...

ab584619d9e6956dbf13027210670105--lake-monsters-ireland.jpg

Back