• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Artworks That Predict The Future

What about the Jack Kirby comic book with a giant face on mars years before we had pictures of surface of Mars?
image033.jpg

Again I'm hoping others will post other such images, not specifically 9/11 related, so they can be gathered in one place. I seem to recall one where a dream "psychic" who used to paint or sketch his dreams and photograph himself in front of the calendar clock in his local Barclay's Bank as proof of the date produced a 9/11 related image and was photographed holding it a year before the event, with the added coincidence of the date on the clock behind him in fact being September 11 (or else the time was 9:11, or both). It would be good to find that.

I also remember this, it was a Channel 4 documentary about a retired art teacher, I think it was actually 9.11.1999 he painted the picture. It wasn't so much a detailed painting as a sketch with brushes. He had a copy of a newspapar of the day with him.
Channel 4 repeated it at least twice, I can't recall his name. It's a pity this has faded into obscurity, perhaps some very random search box entries here and there might turn it up.

Believe me, I've typed in every possible combination of words with the key details and the only match I found was someone else describing their memory of seeing the program with no more useful details to add. It's quite strange...you'd think it would be feted all over the net.

Meantime... a 1979 ad for Pakistan airlines....

01.jpg

Hurrah! After much frustration I finally found the details.

The program was called the Man Who Paints The Future, from the "Extraordinary People" series on channel 5, and broadcast in 2003.

The gentleman was called David Mandell. He wasn't too young at the time so I suspect may not be with us hence a dearth of online material. Google images produces nothing, but I was able to take a couple screen captures from the one segment of hte show available online.

Basically he paints his more striking dreams as a record in the same way that I record mine on tape. And he had 3 relevant dreams starting precisely 5 years before 9/11. The first involving the collapse of two mighty towers/skycrapers which he sketched in pencil, the second an identical dream a few months later which he did in colour, and the third a few months later still involving two planes and the words "planes crash into building". The first of these was in 1996 and the date of it is on the clock wall behind him...

1185080_10152163632788572_646045336_n.jpg

Obviously you can't see the picture itself very clearly there, but here's the colour version..

1001936_10152163632838572_1189441239_n.jpg

The first 8 mnutes of the documentary are here

http://vimeo.com/2315112

Didn't want to make this all about 9/11 but there are just so many of them out there...

Anotehr album cover, released once again in June 2001...this time from a german band called Tele Trieste.

R-1521500-1225795028.jpeg

Nice one Gattino, my searches drew a blank. Thanks Rynner, I was way off, good example of the failings of memory.
Interesting that he foresaw the Concorde crash too.

In 1997 DC comics killed off the original Wonder Woman, with a fictional newspaper front page announcing the death of "Princess Diana".....3 days before the real front pages announced the same thing.

1239885_10152226735853572_1473266879_n.jpg
[/url]

gattino said:
In 1997 DC comics killed off the original Wonder Woman, with a fictional newspaper front page announcing the death of "Princess Diana".....3 days before the real front pages announced the same thing.
The author of that comic (and a number of other ones seen here (NSFW language):http://www.cracked.com/article_18836_6-eerily-specific-world-events-predicted-by-comics.html

has this to say about his predictive powers:
http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=7&T1=Miscellaneous+Questions#219

Also relevant to this thread, specific predictions from sci-fi (NSFW language):
http://www.cracked.com/article_18846_6-eerily-specific-inventions-predicted-in-science-fiction.html

In the same way that open creative minds might find inspiration from leaking future histories, so too might budding terrorists/freedom fighters find inspiration in popular culture.

If I've inappropriately-appropriated this thread, can the Modship please relocate this flawed little dalliance elsewhere.

The 19thC artist Albert Robida may have been the unwitting father of visual Steampunkery, and must have influenced many artists (including dear old Patrick Woodroffe) with his neatly-offbeam visions of the 20thC.

His amazing work "Le Vingtième Siècle" gives much to consider and enjoy, of a future history that never happened, and can now be considered to be in our past, twice.
robida-7.jpg

5529385216_955e443700_o.jpg

robidaparis.jpg

albert-robida-le-vingtic3a8me-sic3a8cle-1883-station-centrale-des-ac3a9ronefs-de-notre-dame-3.jpg

sticef_2006_wallet_03p01.jpg

robida_telephonoscope1883.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Robida

I find these visions of neverwhen to be compelling and absorbing. Recommended for contemplation

If I've inappropriately-appropriated this thread, can the Modship please relocate this flawed little dalliance elsewhere.

The 19thC artist Albert Robida may have been the unwitting father of visual Steampunkery, and must have influenced many artists (including dear old Patrick Woodroffe) with his neatly-offbeam visions of the 20thC.

His amazing work "Le Vingtième Siècle" gives much to consider and enjoy, of a future history that never happened, and can now be considered to be in our past, twice.
robida-7.jpg

5529385216_955e443700_o.jpg

robidaparis.jpg

albert-robida-le-vingtic3a8me-sic3a8cle-1883-station-centrale-des-ac3a9ronefs-de-notre-dame-3.jpg

sticef_2006_wallet_03p01.jpg

robida_telephonoscope1883.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Robida

I find these visions of neverwhen to be compelling and absorbing. Recommended for contemplation
Do you think that he foretold the advent of the Chinese takeaway?...... 'Fish flying tonight?':)

This one's doing the rounds at the moment ... Supertramp's album cover predicted 9/11 ... perhaps the weakest prediction art work theory I've ever seen :rolleyes: .. if you reverse the U and P from Supertramp position over the twin towers it reads 9 11 ... and it's the twin towers ... and you're looking through a jumbo jet window. The 'flame' the waitress (who's meant to be the statue of liberty) is holding just in front of the towers is clearly something like a glass of orange juice ..

Last edited:
The 19thC artist Albert Robida may have been the unwitting father of visual [URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk' said:
Steampunkery[/URL], and must have influenced many artists (including dear old Patrick Woodroffe) with his neatly-offbeam visions of the 20thC.

Just a small link to an online suppository of all his works. I could peruse these pages for months. Very interesting. "Le vingtième siècle" Seems to contain a lot of Future predictions, I like the Theater through the Phone page 57.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it turns out according to Snopes that the simpsons/trump thing is a big fat fib. The cartoon scenes in question were produced in 2015, not 2000 as the video claims...presumably by implication the escalator scene was directly copied from real life.

sad but true :( but gosh that was fun! :D

Knew there would be a thread for this! According to an article here:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/book-claims-anthony-quinn-predicted-9-11-1985-painting-1018020

Hollywood star Anthony Quinn was a keen painter of pictures that predicted the future, including the WTC attacks. This reminds me of the bloke on the earlier series of Heroes, but on reading the text, I'd say it was a strong case of seeing what you want to see. No pics at the link, alas, as far as I could discern.

As an aside, Mr Quinn once claimed he wanted to impregnate every woman in the world. I don't know if that influenced his art.

" . . . lest his new book be deemed merely a marketing tool for the painting, Harte insists the work is not for sale. “I fully intend to keep it."

God forbid the painting should have been a marketing tool for the book! :eek:

Another 9/11 - related artwork preceding 9/11 ...

I'd forgotten about this 1997 Boris Vallejo painting until I happened across it in one of my graphics archives.

Boris Vallejo - Tutt'Art@ (51).jpg

I recall suspecting (or maybe mis-remembering ... ) this particular Vallejo painting was used for an album cover, book cover, or some other commercial application. However, I've never found any proof of that.

No pics at the link, alas, as far as I could discern.
There's a pic of the painting in question at the bottom of the article. Not sure I'd rush to see his interpretation of it mind...

anthony_quinn_facets_of_liberty_embed.jpg

Thanks, Gattino! Lady Liberty looks like she's wearing wax lips...

Back