• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Assorted strangeness- cats, blood letter & spooks + Pic

dharma_choc

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My first post on here encompasses many strange phenomena, all centered around my son. Here goes;

Our people-phobic cat (after many years of never approaching me) suddenly sat on my knee one evening. She then proceded to sit on my knee at every opportunity, but never on my husband or on anywhere other than my knee. A week later I discovered I was pregnant, & the cat sat on me right until the evening before I gave birth. Even once the baby excitement had settled she has NEVER sat anywhere near me since. I think she knew or could smell a change in my hormones. What do people think?

Whilst pregnant we discussed names & decided on Jakob for a boy. An hour or so after he was born we noticed (& photographed) a VERY clear letter 'J' in my blood on the top of his head. I have photos & will upload them (if someone can explain how?).

The third strange thing happened last week & has worried me a little. My son, almost three awoke in the night screaming, crying & very upset. He said "Somebody was rocking me". My husband tried calming him, & my son continued, "Someone who used to live here was rocking me".
The next morning the first words from his mouth to me were, "Whose hand was it?" He went on to say that it was a nice rocking. He even freaked them out at nursery by telling them that a hand from the attic was rocking him. We have never mentioned the idea that someone may have lived here before & its a concept that I doubt he understands. We told him it was a dream & that it was probably Daddy soothing him, but he still talks about it.
The next day whilst everyone was out, I asked whoever was in Jakob's room not to frighten him. Immediately a toy began playing music. I was completely still, sitting quietly on his bed. The toy is not on a timer & needs to be pressed to activate it.

Thanks for reading this far. It feels better to 'talk' rationally about all these things with like-minded folk. Does anyone have some explanations?

Interesting tale thanks for taking the time to relate these events, has there been any follow up from the ghost, which seamed benign though scary,?

The cat stuff I see as very interesting but normal, they can see and smell stuff waay better than us, I have had similar experiences with a dog I wont relate here, yet.

Anyway welcome to the board :D :D 8)

Still no follow up- YET! But every evening I ask her not to scare my son- shes welcome to scare me anytime (hopefully when I have a video camera with me). We understand a lady lived here for her whole life until she died sometime in her eighties. We assume it is her that was settling Jakob. We hope to find out her name so we can talk to her a little more politely.

As for the cat thing, yes there are some amazing creatures. I don't think cat pregnancy tests would catch on though. Do you ;)

Re: Assorted strangeness- cats, blood letters & spooks

dharma_choc said:
The third strange thing happened last week & has worried me a little. My son, almost three awoke in the night screaming, crying & very upset. He said "Somebody was rocking me". My husband tried calming him, & my son continued, "Someone who used to live here was rocking me".

I think that phenomena such as the above (whatever they are) happen to young children a lot more than is commonly thought.

My eldest daughter used to frequently complain of a television set that appeared above her bed and showed her pictures of animals in pain. Later on, and by then with her two younger sisters, all three used to relate how small balls of paper would fall on their heads when they were playing in their room. And when I was a small child myself, I often used to hear someone call my name behind me when there was no-one there. An ex work-mate once told me that his two sons wold sit and talk to their deceased brother (who they had never known), claiming that they could see him sat on top of a chest of drawers.

Whatever it is that your son is experiencing, it seems fairly benign. It's not something I would like to deal with though, and I wish you all the best as you come to terms with it.

And yeah, welcome to the board. :)

Well, that is interesting!
If it's not impolite, has anybody in the house ever been on the pill? I'm wondering if the cat's attracted to progesterone.....
Think the J on the forehead might be coincidence - why not a mark in the form of a Hebrew Yodh, first letter of Jakob's name in the Bible, or a Y to represent the way it's pronounced in Hebrew?
You can get a wireless infrared camera to monitor your child's room - they just plug into any handy electric outlet and you can record the output to a VCR or disk.

Re: Assorted strangeness- cats, blood letters & spooks

TheCavynaut said:
My eldest daughter used to frequently complain of a television set that appeared above her bed and showed her pictures of animals in pain. Later on, and by then with her two younger sisters, all three used to relate how small balls of paper would fall on their heads when they were playing in their room.

OMG! Thats even creepier than our recent experiences. I am ok with the whole situation- whatever it may be that is causing it. I would just prefer my son not to be scared- its difficult enough being three years old.

markbellis said:
If it's not impolite, has anybody in the house ever been on the pill? I'm wondering if the cat's attracted to progesterone.....

No, no one here been on the pill for over 10 years, but its an interesting idea- what makes you think that may be the case?

markbellis said:
Think the J on the forehead might be coincidence - why not a mark in the form of a Hebrew Yodh, first letter of Jakob's name in the Bible, or a Y to represent the way it's pronounced in Hebrew?

Yes, I am sure it was a coincidence- although the letter was very clear & neat. 3 separate visitors remarked on it. And yes, Jakob's name is pronounced with a Y, so that would have been as appropriate.

markbellis said:
You can get a wireless infrared camera to monitor your child's room - they just plug into any handy electric outlet and you can record the output to a VCR or disk.

What a good idea, thank you. I am off to look on Ebay now- anything specific I need to look for?

letterJ.jpg

See. A clear & neat letter 'J' in my blood. It was photographed maybe an hour after I had given birth, as soon as we noticed it. We hadn't had chance to clean him up yet, other than the quick wipe the nurses gave him. BTW they had no idea about our choice of name.

Perhaps he's Jesus? :)

Nice looking baby!

dharma_choc said:
markbellis said:

No, no one here been on the pill for over 10 years, but its an interesting idea- what makes you think that may be the case?

Well, the pill contains progesterone, which also goes up in your body when you're pregnant, so I was wondering if the cat reacted the same way to someone on the pill. Maybe you started to smell like a mother cat?

dharma_choc said:
markbellis said:

What a good idea, thank you. I am off to look on Ebay now- anything specific I need to look for?

I haven't used one myself - You'd want one with built-in LEDs (the infrared lights - you can't see them but the camera can) - the only thing I could think of is there might be interference on your phones, or your wireless LAN, if they use 2.4 gHz, which is the radio frequency the cameras use. If it doesn't capture anything you can always use it to see whose at your front door.

Best,
Mark

Looks a bit like the Lambda symbol to me.

lambda.png

hokum6 said:
Looks a bit like the Lambda symbol to me.

lambda.png

You may be right. I am going to go & research what significance Lamda has. Thank you for pointing that out

Some people write an italic 'T' like that too.

Mythopoeika said:
Perhaps he's Jesus? :)

Its funny but thats exactly what the nurse said when she saw it. I'm not sure if she meant it as a cry of shock though.

markbellis said:
Well, the pill contains progesterone, which also goes up in your body when you're pregnant, so I was wondering if the cat reacted the same way to someone on the pill. Maybe you started to smell like a mother cat?

What a good answer- perhaps that is what it was. She was very protective of me whilst pregnant, but as soon as he was born she reverted to people-phobia.

markbellis said:
I haven't used one myself - You'd want one with built-in LEDs (the infrared lights - you can't see them but the camera can) - the only thing I could think of is there might be interference on your phones, or your wireless LAN, if they use 2.4 gHz, which is the radio frequency the cameras use. If it doesn't capture anything you can always use it to see whose at your front door.

FANTASTIC idea- it sounds like a great piece of kit, thanks for the idea. It would also be wonderful if it actually helped to capture something on film. Otherwise its always good to know who you are answering the door to :idea:

dharma_choc said:
You may be right. I am going to go & research what significance Lamda has.

Well, that's easy. In the film 'Revenge of the Nerds' the nerds fraternity was 'Lambda Lambda Lambda', so quite obviously your son is going to grow up to become the next Bill Gates.

From Wikipedia;-

Said to signify unity under oppression, explaining its use in the video game Half-Life.

Shame you didn't name him John Connor. He may one day be the leader of the human resistance.

Cat's will often appraoch a person and sit on an area that's sick or injured - they seem to know, even if they wouldn't otherwise come near you. Our cats have done it several times.

Perhaps your cat detected what it assumed was a 'malfunction' or 'disorder'

Re: Assorted strangeness- cats, blood letter & spooks +

dharma_choc said:
Our people-phobic cat (after many years of never approaching me) suddenly sat on my knee one evening. She then proceded to sit on my knee at every opportunity, but never on my husband or on anywhere other than my knee. A week later I discovered I was pregnant, & the cat sat on me right until the evening before I gave birth. Even once the baby excitement had settled she has NEVER sat anywhere near me since. I think she knew or could smell a change in my hormones. What do people think?

My sister's dog who is very easy going, became suddenly very protective , barking out the windows and at people at the door. My sister didn't realize she was pregnant until after complaining to me that the dog was being so protective and "weird" as she put it. I think animals react intuitively to smells and other cues that we miss.

Re: Assorted strangeness- cats, blood letter & spooks +

lkb3rd said:
My sister's dog who is very easy going, became suddenly very protective , barking out the windows and at people at the door. My sister didn't realize she was pregnant until after complaining to me that the dog was being so protective and "weird" as she put it. I think animals react intuitively to smells and other cues that we miss.

Yes, I am pretty sure it was down to smell, & the hormonal changes we go through when prgnant. The whole area of animals smelling/sensing illness/injury/pregnancy is fascinating. Does anyone know of any books or studies that have been done? I understand there are some dogs specifically used to sniff out cancers. Anyone have more information?

It was in the FT a couple of years ago. Dunno which issue though.

markbellis said:
Here's a wireless monitor - http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/produ ... tab=6#more

- you can run it both the camera and the monitor on batteries or plug in - I should have said that if you're in the UK make sure that this has an output in PAL if you want to record it - in North America we use NTSC for TV.

Thanks for that- I know what I should be looking for now- its on my Cristmas list. Yes, I am in the UK, so the PAL info is useful. Thank you for taking the time to send me this info. :)

I also remember hearing of a diver who didn't know she was pregnant yet, but a dolphin seemed to sense it. Sorry I can't give any better details - I think I saw the woman tell about it on TV, probably some PBS show.

It shouldn't be surprising that animals would become protective of their friends who are pregnant (as the dog barking out the window), or just more helpful toward the pregnant female (as perhaps the cat and the dolphin). Species without that tendency would probably be more likely to die out, wouldn't they?

decipheringscars said:
I also remember hearing of a diver who didn't know she was pregnant yet, but a dolphin seemed to sense it. Sorry I can't give any better details - I think I saw the woman tell about it on TV, probably some PBS show.

You've reminded me, I was told a similar FOAF tale at the weekend by a neice. I'd mentioned that a couple of my friends had just come back from Mexico and she told me:

Her friend was on holiday in Mexico a few years ago and went swimming with dolphins. The dolphins apparently reacted differently to her, they kept circling her. The aquarium staff asked if she was pregnant which she replied no, not that I'm aware of. They advised her to take a pregnancy test when she got home and this is where I'll get mixed up with the anecdote... She was told something along the lines that dolphins use the same frequencies to communicate with each other as an ultrasound test and that's how they can tell when a woman is pregnant.

Anyway, apparently she did take the test when they flew back and she was pregnant.

decipheringscars said:
It shouldn't be surprising that animals would become protective of their friends who are pregnant (as the dog barking out the window), or just more helpful toward the pregnant female (as perhaps the cat and the dolphin). Species without that tendency would probably be more likely to die out, wouldn't they?

That's a good point- I like the idea that it is more than just sensing, & is an actual decision to protect. :yeay:

Dolphins often circle round swimmers - in the case of Mexico, I'd imagine the tour guides probably train the wild dolphins to hang around by throwing out fish, so they come out for the tourists.
Dolphins use sonar for navigation and finding fish - it doesn't need to be high frequency ( which would fade out over distances ), since they're locating relatively large objects - the higher the frequency the smaller the detail it can 'see'.
Diagnostic ultrasound operates at frequencies hundreds of times higher than dolphins' sonar - and even then it can only 'see' good size details, not individual cells like in a newly implanted embryo, and I don't think the dolphins were pressing their muzzles up against the woman's abdomen, like in an ultrasound!

Back