• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Asteroid Explodes Over English Channel After Rare Early Detection

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
An asteroid has exploded above the English Channel after entering the Earth’s atmosphere.

The 1m (3ft) meteoroid - or small asteroid - was seen shortly before 03:00 GMT on Monday morning.

TELEMMGLPICT000325268465_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

The event, known as an "airburst", was just the seventh time in history that an asteroid impact has been predicted in advance.

Social media users, some based in the south of England, shared footage of the rock lighting up the sky. The meteoroid has been dubbed Sar2667.

The European Space Agency tweeted that it was "a sign of the rapid advancements in global asteroid detection capabilities."

The agency earlier predicted that the object was expected to "safely strike" the earth's atmosphere near to the French city of Rouen.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...xplodes-english-channel-rare-early-detection/

maximus otter

An asteroid has exploded above the English Channel after entering the Earth’s atmosphere.

The 1m (3ft) meteoroid - or small asteroid - was seen shortly before 03:00 GMT on Monday morning.

TELEMMGLPICT000325268465_1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

The event, known as an "airburst", was just the seventh time in history that an asteroid impact has been predicted in advance.

Social media users, some based in the south of England, shared footage of the rock lighting up the sky. The meteoroid has been dubbed Sar2667.

The European Space Agency tweeted that it was "a sign of the rapid advancements in global asteroid detection capabilities."

The agency earlier predicted that the object was expected to "safely strike" the earth's atmosphere near to the French city of Rouen.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...xplodes-english-channel-rare-early-detection/

maximus otter
I was just about to post this, I'd love to have witnessed it personally.

Awesome. I've seen these guys 4 times over the years. Recall each instance with clarity. Its like a brief peek through a crack in the cosmic wall, causing me to whoop and holler and bounce on me toesies.

Back