• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Asteroid Near-Misses (AKA: Holy Shit! We're All Going to Die)

rynner2 said:
Interesting article here, but for some reason I can't copy any of the text, so the bare naked URL is all I can offer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/spac ... aster.html

Basically the idea is to station a telescope 'near Venus' so it doesn't have to look sunward for these pesky impactors.

The B612 Foundation is not a US government initiative, but a private enterprise. Big press conference planned for Tuesday.

I was able to copy it so heres a taster.

Apollo astronauts warn only "blind luck" has prevented worse disasters as they push for $250 million telescope to spot asteroids on collision course with Earth

A group of former Nasa astronauts are on an extraordinary mission to save the world from asteroids As members of an elite band of cosmic explorers, they are among the few to have gone beyond the final frontier and looked down on the Earth from space.

Now, inspired by the unique perspective they gained of their home planet – and armed with startling new data about the scale of the threat it faces from asteroid strikes – a group of former Nasa astronauts are on an extraordinary mission to save the world.

Fourteen months after an asteroid exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia, on a scale equivalent to 30 Hiroshima bombs, the B612 Foundation, a non-profit group founded by Apollo 9 astronaut Rusty Schweickart and space shuttle astronaut Ed Lu, are warning that only "blind luck" has so far saved it from worse.

"It's a giant game of chance we're playing. It's cosmic roulette," said Dr Lu, whose group is working towards building and launching Sentinel, a $250 million telescope that would spot space rocks on a collision course with the earth, giving several years or even decades worth of notice to deflect a disaster.

"There's a saying in Vegas that 'The house never loses'. It's true; you can't just keep playing a game of chance and expect to keep winning," added Dr Lu, the group's chief executive officer.

In January, data obtained by Dr Peter Brown, a planetary scientist and asteroid expert at the University of Western Ontario, in Canada, revealed that since 2001 the earth has been struck by asteroids the size of the Chelyabinsk rock – or bigger – 26 times; up to ten times more frequently than previously thought.

On Tuesday, which is Earth Day, the B612 Foundation will hold a press conference to unveil more critical details, including a video presentation that will for the first time reveal the locations and sizes of the multi-kiloton impacts.

"We are literally in a shooting gallery," said Mr Schweickart. "That's the message we want people to understand. It's happening, it's ongoing, and the big ones will come. It's just a matter of when."

The video is based on information from the International Monitoring System, a network of sensors set up around the world to verify compliance with the global ban on nuclear weapons testing. The technology detects sound waves and shock waves above and below Earth's surface.

Since only 28 per cent of the planet's surface is land, and only one per cent is populated, the majority of asteroid strikes are in remote regions, deserts and oceans.

Doomed!

Pat Robertson: Jesus said an asteroid could destroy Earth next week

Televangelist Pat Robertson warned on Monday that Jesus had said that an asteroid would destroy the Earth — and it could happen as soon as next week.

On Tuesday, three former NASA astronauts are expected to present their findings that the Earth had experienced far more impacts from large asteroids than previously thought.

For Robertson, the news was just the latest reason to hype his book, The End of the Age, which asserts that the End Times predicted in Revelation will be brought on by a meteor.

“I wrote a book!” Robertson advised viewers. “It deals with an asteroid hitting the Earth. I don’t see anything else that fulfills the prophetic words of Jesus Christ other than an asteroid strike.”

“There isn’t anything that will cause the seas to roil, that will, you know, cause the skies to darken, the moon and the sun not to give their light, the nations terrified on Earth of what’s happening. There isn’t anything that’s going to do that.”

He continued: “We’re big enough to draw some of them in. And as somebody said, it’s ‘blind luck.’ Well, it’s the mercy of the Lord. But if that mercy ever got lifted, whew.”

Robertson advised his viewers to “read what Jesus said” about “nobody living on the face of the Earth.”

“That’s what Jesus himself said!” he advised. “So, hey, just get ready. Get right. And stay right with the Lord.”

“It could be next week, it could be 1,000 years from now. But nevertheless, we want to be ready whenever the Lord says, ‘I’m wrapping it up, and it’s time to come home.’”

Watch the video below from CBN’s The 700 Club, broadcast April 21, 2014.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/21/p ... next-week/

Doomed!

Pat Robertson: Jesus said an asteroid could destroy Earth next week

Televangelist Pat Robertson warned on Monday that Jesus had said that an asteroid would destroy the Earth — and it could happen as soon as next week.

On Tuesday, three former NASA astronauts are expected to present their findings that the Earth had experienced far more impacts from large asteroids than previously thought.

For Robertson, the news was just the latest reason to hype his book, The End of the Age, which asserts that the End Times predicted in Revelation will be brought on by a meteor.

“I wrote a book!” Robertson advised viewers. “It deals with an asteroid hitting the Earth. I don’t see anything else that fulfills the prophetic words of Jesus Christ other than an asteroid strike.”

“There isn’t anything that will cause the seas to roil, that will, you know, cause the skies to darken, the moon and the sun not to give their light, the nations terrified on Earth of what’s happening. There isn’t anything that’s going to do that.”

He continued: “We’re big enough to draw some of them in. And as somebody said, it’s ‘blind luck.’ Well, it’s the mercy of the Lord. But if that mercy ever got lifted, whew.”

Robertson advised his viewers to “read what Jesus said” about “nobody living on the face of the Earth.”

“That’s what Jesus himself said!” he advised. “So, hey, just get ready. Get right. And stay right with the Lord.”

“It could be next week, it could be 1,000 years from now. But nevertheless, we want to be ready whenever the Lord says, ‘I’m wrapping it up, and it’s time to come home.’”

Watch the video below from CBN’s The 700 Club, broadcast April 21, 2014.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/21/p ... next-week/

Jesus said this? Riiight.
I think the key words in the article there are 'I wrote a book'...

Double doomed! Vid, images and full text at link.

Asteroid impact risks 'underappreciated'

A graphic representation by the B612 Foundation showing asteroid impacts

The US-based group, which includes a number of former Nasa astronauts, campaigns on the issue of space protection. It hopes the visualisation will press home the idea that impacts are more common than we think.

The presentation leans on data collected by the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO). The CTBTO operates a network of sensors that listens out for clandestine atom bomb detonations. Between 2000 and 2013, this infrasound system catalogued 26 major explosions on Earth. None were caused by A-bombs; they were all the result of asteroid strikes.

They ranged in energy from one to 600 kilotons. By way of comparison, the bomb that destroyed the Japanese city of Hiroshima was a 15-kiloton device. Fortunately, most of these space rocks disintegrated high up in the atmosphere and caused few problems on the ground.

A few, people will have heard about, such at the 20m-wide object that ripped across the sky above the Russian city of Chelyabinsk last year. But many will have gone unseen because they occurred far out over the oceans. And just one of the 26 events was detected in advance, and then by only a matter of hours.

The advocacy group uses the frequency and size range of the impacts to say something about the probability of larger strikes in the future. Because although Chelyabinsk was a terrifying experience for those caught up in it, the event itself was quite small compared with some of the incomers recorded through Earth history.

The foundation says the CTBTO data would suggest that Earth is hit by a multi-megaton asteroid - large enough to destroy a major city if it occurred over such an area - about every 100 years.

Remembering the Tunguska event of 1908 - it was fortunate that that object, thought to be about 45m wide, struck a very remote part of the globe.

"This is a bit like earthquakes," explains Ed Lu, former shuttle astronaut and CEO of the B612 Foundation. "In the cities that have a major danger - Tokyo, Los Angeles, San Francisco - they know the odds of big earthquakes by observing how many small earthquakes there are. Because there's a known distribution of earthquakes, meaning that earthquakes come in all sizes, small to large - if I can measure the small ones, I know how many big ones they're going to be. And you can do this with asteroids.

"These asteroid impacts in the last decade have been ones that we haven't had much data on until recently, and they tell us that in fact asteroid impacts are more common than we thought," he told BBC News. ...
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27039285

Huge asteroid set to wipe out life on Earth - in 2880
Kilometre-wide asteroid 1950 DA has a one-in-300 chance on 16 March, 2880, US scientists say
Isobel Markham
3:50PM BST 15 Aug 2014

A huge asteroid spinning at an "impossible" rate is hurtling toward Earth, on track to wipe out human life - but not until 16 March, 2880.

Asteroid 1950 DA has a one-in-300 chance of hitting the globe on the appointed day. Although that may sound like slim odds, it is the most likely asteroid to collide with our planet.
Researchers at the University of Tennessee are not taking any chances, studying the asteroid for indications of how best to throw it off its course.
According to their research, published in the science journal Nature, the asteroid has a diameter of one kilometre and is travelling at nine miles a second relative to the Earth.

It is also rotating so fast - once every 2 hours and six minutes - that it "defies gravity". Rotation at that speed should cause the space rock to fly apart, but cohesive forces called van der Waals are holding it together. These forces have never before been detected on an asteroid.

Were it to make contact with the planet, it would hit at 38,000 miles per hour, exerting the same force as around 44,800 megatonnes of TNT.
An impact would cause an enormous explosion and tsunamis, changing the climate of the globe and destroying human life.

The researchers are confident that there is enough time to avert the disaster. They have discovered that blowing up 1950 DA could actually do more harm than good, causing several massive impacts.

Instead, they suggest making small changes to its surface to disrupt the forces that keep it together, causing it to break apart.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -2880.html

I've still seen no evidence for this oft-quoted idea that "several massive impacts" would be worse than one catastrophic impact. Smaller fragments will be slowed quicker, and eroded faster, than one big parent body.

Hopefully, by then (if civilisation hasn't disintegrated) humans will have the technology to mine the asteroids, making it easy to pull them apart or divert them.

Asteroid the size of a house to pass ‘close’ to Earth, Nasa says

The space object is the same size as the one that exploded over Russia in 2013

An asteroid the size of a house is set to pass close to the Earth this afternoon, Nasa has warned.

The US space agency said that the object was predicted to travel over New Zealand at a distance of roughly 25,000 miles (40,000km) from Earth – just a tenth of the distance between us and the moon.

That will bring it near to the band of satellites that orbit the planet at around 23,000 miles (36,000km), though not so close as to pose a serious threat.

The asteroid measures around 60 feet (18m) across, a similar size to the one that caused widespread damage and injured around 1,000 people when it exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia, in 2013.

The same day as the Chelyabinsk asteroid explosion, another larger asteroid flew as close as 17,168 miles (27,630 km) from Earth, well within striking distance of the planet's communications and weather satellites.

The asteroid passing today was first detected just a week ago by an observatory in the US, and experts say that it will offer the chance to learn more about how the objects can be tracked more quickly in future. ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 16847.html

newmapshowsf.jpg

This diagram maps the data gathered from 1994-2013 on small asteroids impacting Earth's atmosphere to create very bright meteors, technically called "bolides" and commonly referred to as "fireballs". Sizes of red dots (daytime impacts) and blue dots (nighttime impacts) are proportional to the optical radiated energy of impacts measured in billions of Joules (GJ) of energy, and show the location of impacts from objects about 1 meter (3 feet) to almost 20 meters (60 feet) in size. Credit: Planetary Science

A map released today by NASA's Near Earth Object (NEO) Program reveals that small asteroids frequently enter and disintegrate in the Earth's atmosphere with random distribution around the globe. Released to the scientific community, the map visualizes data gathered by U.S. government sensors from 1994 to 2013. The data indicate that Earth's atmosphere was impacted by small asteroids, resulting in a bolide (or fireball), on 556 separate occasions in a 20-year period. Almost all asteroids of this size disintegrate in the atmosphere and are usually harmless. The notable exception was the Chelyabinsk event which was the largest asteroid to hit Earth in this period. The new data could help scientists better refine estimates of the distribution of the sizes of NEOs including larger ones that could pose a danger to Earth. ...

http://phys.org/news/2014-11-frequency- ... clues.html

Scientists have calculated that 2014 UR116 asteroid will fly in dangerous proximity to Earth every three years. If it collides with the planet the energy of the explosion could be a thousand times greater than the impact of the Chelyabinsk meteorite.

Vladimir Lipunov, a leading scientist on the team which discovered the asteroid this October, says the scientists now know its orbit and its period which is 3 years, but they cannot say precisely when the asteroid will approach the Earth.

“We should track it constantly. Because if we have a single mistake, there will be a catastrophe. The consequences can be very serious,” he said in the documentary “Asteroids attack” posted on Roscosmos website.

The new asteroid, called 2014 UR116 is about 370 meters in diameter. Its size exceeds the famous Apophis which the Earth can meet in the next decade. The exact trajectory of 2014 UR116 is yet to be determined, but theoretically it may collide with the Earth, Mars or Venus. Its trajectory can fluctuate because of the gravitational pull of these planets. ...

http://rt.com/news/212279-dangerous-ast ... rth-orbit/

Last edited by a moderator:
2.5 Mile Wide Comet Headed Toward Earth!!

This one comes with the hellish screams of destruction

World Truth TV has a 45 minute video on the subject but better to jump to the 40 minute mark and here the hellish screams.

Not so much a near miss but a sudden impact which is going to wipe out the U.S. around mid-September apparently. Plenty of hits on Google.

I would remind readers of the cave I have in Scotland filled with bottle water and tins of beans.

2.5 Mile Wide Comet Headed Toward Earth!!

That site is certainly a beacon of light for these troubled times and she's done well to record the sound it's producing in a vacuum. From the article:

But I have a source who has confirmed to me that a 2.5 mile wide comet that researchers have been studying for years is headed toward earth and scheduled to arrive between September 15 and September 28.

So when the economy collapses in September following the ending of the Shemitah cycle (September 13th), shortly thereafter, the comet, according to my source, will be making its fiery-tailed appearance.

This will not be Wormwood, by the way. This will be a ‘Book End’ event; meaning, this event will be the final blow (literally) which throws us into the tribulation. Does that mean the tribulation will immediately begin? No! It will happen over a period of months, I would assume…probably sometime in March of 2016 when the Antichrist will be revealed to the world.

That's convinced me. Cave with bottled water & beans you say...

I would remind readers of the cave I have in Scotland filled with bottle water and tins of beans.
Please could I share the cave with you? I have my own beans. :D

Nah.

A gargantuan asteroid is hurtling towards Earth, with enough power to wipe out life as we know it.

That’s the belief of an online community of biblical theorists who predict our collective demise will occur between 22 – 28 September 2015.

The Daily Express was recently running this....

Asteroid a MILE wide to hurtle past Earth in 48 HOURS - as experts warn of MASS EXTINCTION
A COLOSSAL asteroid hurtling through space is feared to be one of the biggest EVER to threaten a collision with Earth.

Now I think this girl selflessly got her kit off on a sacred mountain and in doing so, averted this Cataclysmic Mass Extinction Event. In some way.
Yes, the earthquake was a side effect of this powerful nipple magic but we - indeed the entire population of this planet - owe her a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid.

You're missing the point. If a topless English girl can cause an earthquake in a distant country, by the same reasoning, another God or sacred place may welcome a bit of student nudity and grant the favour of a cataclysm averted. English nipple magic may not be as powerful as Kardashian arse magic but who knows? Well I do. It's all bollocks...or tits in this case. However, I feel I have posit an alternative given the ludicrous claims made about this case.

No, sorry - I meant that the link to the website (re the asteroid story) was missing.

Just put the term "nipple magic" into Google. :D

Nasa says the world is not going to end in September

Space agency kills off internet rumour by confirming an asteroid strike will not wipe out humanity in the next few weeks, or years, or decades

Good news for those with plans for October and beyond: the Earth will still be in existence.

Nasa has confirmed – after rumours swept the internet about an imminent asteroid strike expected between 15 and 28 September – that the two-week period in question will be entirely free of Earth-destroying space attacks.
The likelihood of any known potentially hazardous asteroid striking the planet within the next 100 years stands at 0.01%, the space agency said in a statement.

Persistent rumours on “numerous recent blogs and web postings” that an errant asteroid is due to wipe out not just Puerto Rico, but the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States and Mexico, as well as Central and South America, persuaded Nasa scientists that they needed to speak up, the statement says.
“There is no scientific basis – not one shred of evidence – that an asteroid or any other celestial object will impact Earth on those dates,” said Paul Chodas, manager of Nasa’s near-Earth object office at the jet propulsion laboratory in Pasadena, California.

“If there were any object large enough to do that type of destruction in September, we would have seen something of it by now.”

It is not the first time Nasa has punctured the excitement of doom-mongers. In 2012, it dismissed claims that the comet Elenin was on its way to destroy mankind, calling it a “trail of piffling particles”.

The space agency was also proved right in its assertion that the world would not end on 21 December 2012, as the Mayan calendar came to an end, heralding the apocalypse.

“There is no existing evidence that an asteroid or any other celestial object is on a trajectory that will impact Earth,” Chodas said. “In fact, not a single one of the known objects has any credible chance of hitting our planet over the next century.”

The jet propulsion lab’s asteroid watch website helpfully lists the next five close approaches by asteroids to the Earth. Of these, the riskiest will pass within 1,689,811 km (1,050,000 miles) of our planet on 21 August. Which is today. So be careful out there.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/aug/21/nasa-says-the-world-is-not-going-to-end-in-september

Well, it was all fine until that bit at the end....:eek:

Back