• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Astral Projection

Feyri

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Whats people's favourite methods for this then?

NOTE: This thread is being used as a consolidation point for scattered postings on astral projection.

Strictly speaking, the term 'astral projection' denotes an out of body experience (OBE / OOBE) involving a literal 'projection' (travel; flight) of a person's spirit, soul, or equivalent ephemeral avatar to another place (broadly defined). In this sense 'astral projection' is a topic for Esoterica owing to its reliance on the concept of a spirit or soul.

However ... 'Astral projection' is frequently encountered as a synonym for remote viewing or OBE's / OOBE's as addressed in parapsychological research. This version addresses the 'elsewhere' aspects of the esoteric version without necessarily invoking or relying upon the notion of an ephemeral avatar (spirit; soul).

Insofar as the latter (parapsychological; 'psychic') version is the one most often encountered in Fortean discussions, this consolidation thread is being placed in Parapsychology.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok most of you probably know what it is right, well ive searched and searched the internet for mp3 files that can induce it, ive found some but they require a credit card, does anyone have one of these mp3 files that they could post here, i mean y should we have to pay for something that we should rightfully be able to experience.

Celexiar said:
ok most of you probably know what it is right, well ive searched and searched the internet for mp3 files that can induce it, ive found some but they require a credit card, does anyone have one of these mp3 files that they could post here, i mean y should we have to pay for something that we should rightfully be able to experience.

Perhaps a little study of technique, along with dedicated practice, will enable you to achieve the results you seek. I doubt that the "fast food" option will yield success.

I've tried the slow methods already, i just dont have the time to do it really, ive even tried meditation and even done some research on hypnosis, and i still cant achieve it.

Hmmm.

Difficult question. Long, dull answer you don't want to hear.

This is going to sound like a load of mystical mumbo jumbo, or skeptical killjoy-ism, or as if I consider myself some patronising old great master of spiritual arts. Not so. But it is a difficult thing to talk about.

And please don't be misled by the avatar. :) I just changed it.

If meditation does nothing for you, then you quite simply haven't done it often enough for long enough, in my opinion.
After 4 years of almost daily work I can now induce a pretty good altered state of consciousness through visualization and breathing about 8 times out of ten.

This is not fireworks visionary non-corporeal ecstacy, this is a stillness.

God knows what kept me going day after day after day of nothing whatsoever happening. Faith I suppose : thinking there *must* be something to it. *Willing* there to be something to it. Practice and training.

Right now, as you read this, you are probably not thinking much about your body ... at least not until now, when I mentioned it. You already know how to completely forget about your physical body and environment whilst daydreaming or concentrating, but if you ever think 'wow I can't feel my feet' then bam there they are again suddenly. What I am saying is everyday perceptual experience is pretty far out if you actually look into it.

In addition I just don't know what people mean by 'astral projection' ... you expect to actually leave your body, like a film special effect? Plop and you're out - silver cord and all? Pretty much all the visionay experiences I have had seem to have that lunar, dreamlike quality that is very hard to mistake for normal everyday reality. I think a lot of what is said and written about things like astral projection is allegory and deception and the inadequacy of language ... sometimes the only way to get across the feel of an experience involves words that can be easily misinterpreted.

When I smoked salvia divinorum I described it as being strapped to the tip of a rocket and smeared across the ceiling. At no point during that trip or after did I *actually* think that occured, nor is that what I *saw*. It's just the closest I can get with words.

Vivid and often non-volitional visualization in an altered state of consciousness can be pretty much whatever you want it to be, but if you are looking for 2001 visual effects and complete credibility then in my opinion you will most likely not achieve what you desire, not even with strong psychedelic drugs.

I don't recommend that route to you, or anyone : it is a personal decision, and a dangerous one. There are other aids you can try - like brainwave entrainment using either 'mind machines' for visual stimulus or audio, which maybe what you are talking about with regards to mp3s etc. But you cannot buy enlightenment on the internet.

These shortcuts in my opinion sometimes give a tantalising taste, but do not deliver either what you seek, nor what I have found.

The more work I do in my own the more I see of value in other systems of self-development, mysticism, religion and magick : ultimately I think you choose the metaphor that most appeals to you personally aesthetically and stick with it through the endless trials of self-initiation only through folly, blind faith or inspiration.

What you may achieve can infact be better than the magick fairground ride you lust for, or you may never get past the "ffs this isn't working" stage.

As far as not having the time is concerned, I find it hard to disguise my contempt for that concept. It is the work of at least this lifetime, if you countanence no others. Make time.

Meditation is the key for me

I can only speak for myself, but for me it took practice, patience and developing the ability to be disciplined in my thinking.

I found a guided meditation tape very useful at the start - it helped me get rid of those unwanted "what shall I have for dinner?" thoughts.

Also, it takes time. I'm not sure there's any quick route to the place you want to get to.

First of all, i dont plan on meditating for 8 years or so, i just dont really want to take all that time to get minor experiences, secondly it IS possible to just listen to an mp3 and instantly leave your physical body, dont beleive me? go to this website

http://www.astral-projection.org.uk/

The problem for me is that i dont have a credit card and if i told my parents about this kind of thing, they would just say that its a program to steal your money, which its not because it has a guarantee. I have found many sites where you have to pay to get the results you want, but i just cant seem to find it for free, i mean shouldnt it be free since some people can do it naturally even, i mean what gives. So unless you have some usefull information, i dont really want to hear about it. I know meditation and practice works for some people, but im one of those really desperate lazy people who doesn't want to do it the hardway.
:cool:

Celexiar said:
First of all, i dont plan on meditating for 8 years or so, i just dont really want to take all that time to get minor experiences, secondly it IS possible to just listen to an mp3 and instantly leave your physical body, dont beleive me? go to this website

http://www.astral-projection.org.uk/

But they would say that as they are trying to flog you stuff ;)

I'd recommend before you parted with any money that you did a bit more study into this to see what other people say about the technique. I would also imaigne you could find sites making this kind of thing freely available if you looked/asked around a bit. Be sure to drop your findings back in here if you find anything interesting ;)

In the end though there is often no substitute for hard work - you don't really know if this quick fix method gives similar results to other technqiues so in the end it might not really prove as satisfactory.

Emps

Well i dont mind giving up a few dollars, but i cant even if i wanted to because my parents think all this stuff is a load of bull$#!*, and i dont have acess to a credit card, and i dont have my bank information to use paypal, even if i did they would notice that money was missing from my account. I'll keep searching but i doubt ill find it for free, (ive already done a LOT of searching) but if i ever do manage to get this kind of thing into my hands i will remember to post it here for all to enjoy, dont get your hopes up though;)

You could always try an FTP search engine...

Has astral projection been scientifcly proven then? Other wise how could their garente be worth anything. Remember anyone can put anything on the net and say what they want (with some rightful exceptions) and it matters not as to weather its true or not. If you want a tape ect then get one that a trusted individual that you know uses.

Im all a bit maybee about this stuff but the best of luck to you all.

Celexiar said:
First of all, i dont plan on meditating for 8 years or so, i just dont really want to take all that time to get minor experiences, secondly it IS possible to just listen to an mp3 and instantly leave your physical body, dont beleive me?
Never mind all that crap, just buy some early 'Pink Floyd' and listen to 'Meddle', or 'Set The Controls for the Heart Of The Sun', or 'Pipe At The Gates Of Dawn'.

That's how I did it when I was 14.

More chance of getting out your skull with them, I should think. Otherwise, all those 'New Age' meditation tapes in incense and patchulli smelling shops would have sold out years ago.

;)

For those who are interested in experiencing astral travel I recommend getting a couple of friends to try out the procedure described in "Windows of the Mind" by G.M. Glaskin, which is said to enable you to "travel" in both space and time. As the book itself says, there's no drugs or hypnosis involved - all it requires is massaging the "third eye" region of the forehead and the ankles and some guiding talk. One is awake during the whole experience.

In the 70's when the book came out, I tried it on literally dozens of friends and everyone was able to travel. As for whether the experience involves actually moving in a disembodied state or is simply a means of generating dream imagery while awake, I will leave to each experiementer to decide.

Sooo...

Last night I had a Youtube video playing to help me sleep. It was supposed to enable astral projection.
At some point in the night I woke up with a finger or thumb pressed against my forehead, as in some kind of third eye malarkey.

However, both my hands were wrapped round the duvet. So whose digit was it?

Yup, I know, I was dreaming. It seemed satisfactorily appropriate though.

Sooo...

Last night I had a Youtube video playing to help me sleep. It was supposed to enable astral projection.
At some point in the night I woke up with a finger or thumb pressed against my forehead, as in some kind of third eye malarkey.

However, both my hands were wrapped round the duvet. So whose digit was it?

Yup, I know, I was dreaming. It seemed satisfactorily appropriate though.
Maybe it was Techy's thumb?

A few years back I tried astral projection, with not a lot of success.

However, on one occasion, I found myself passing through a heavy wooden door and ending up on a nearby main road. It was nighttime and there were a few people around who looked like they were sleepwalking, and they all had a kind of crystalline blue light around where their navels would be. The best way I can describe that light is to say it was the colour of that light on Iron Man's chest in the Avengers films, but made up of crystalline shards radiating out from the belly button.

Its entirely possible that I feel asleep while trying to astrally project and dreamed this, but I'd love to know if anyone else had experienced/heard of this blue light...

Last edited:
Sooo...

My elder brother had read my books on Astral Projection and tried it one night after he'd came back from the Uni Bar. Something went "wrong", something scary and he desperately tried to get out of bed - but he told me that there was a pressure like a finger on his forehead, that kept pushing his head back into the pillow with force. After the third or fourth attempt to raise his head I think he actually shat the bed.

Years later and still mindful of his experience, I attempted projection and was at the point of transferring consciousness when a loud voice boomed in my head " NO !! ".

My elder brother had read my books on Astral Projection and tried it one night after he'd came back from the Uni Bar. Something went "wrong", something scary and he desperately tried to get out of bed - but he told me that there was a pressure like a finger on his forehead, that kept pushing his head back into the pillow with force. After the third or fourth attempt to raise his head I think he actually shat the bed.

Years later and still mindful of his experience, I attempted projection and was at the point of transferring consciousness when a loud voice boomed in my head " NO !! ".

The trick with astral projection is surely to shit in someone else's bed from afar.

Yes, I often stare at the star-filled sky (well, as star-filled as it gets in London). The vastness of it, the wonder of the fact that the little points of light are all stars, most with their own planets, far, far away never ceases to awe me. I try to get my head round it, and try to imagine what it might be like to be on one of the planets orbiting one of those stars, looking up into the night sky there.

When reading about astral projection some years ago I found a book by a bloke who reckoned he'd mastered it to the extent of travelling to distant places on Earth but couldn't quite manage the Moon!

Maybe he's pulled that one off by now.

When reading about astral projection some years ago I found a book by a bloke who reckoned he'd mastered it to the extent of travelling to distant places on Earth but couldn't quite manage the Moon!

Maybe he's pulled that one off by now.
Well that might take some of us right back in time!

Astral Projection...

Y'all know the script, there's a fascinating book on same from my youth, however the inexorable, 'Clutter Monster', dictates said is somewhere in a box, buried under other boxes...

Well that might take some of us right back in time!

Astral Projection...

Y'all know the script, there's a fascinating book on same from my youth, however the inexorable, 'Clutter Monster', dictates said is somewhere in a box, buried under other boxes...

Yeah, right back in time - one of my books (somewhere) claims some-one got an award from NASA for discovering the magnetic field around Mercury with his Astral vision on one of his trips in the early '80s.

Tried it a few times until i think it actually worked, felt myself rise horizontally, then moved into an upright position. At that point i thought i would shit myself, back with a bang never brave enough to try again.

Yeah, right back in time - one of my books (somewhere) claims some-one got an award from NASA for discovering the magnetic field around Mercury with his Astral vision on one of his trips in the early '80s.

You're undoubtedly referring to the two remote viewing experiments (or stunts, depending on your orientation ... ) conducted by psychics Ingo Swann and Harold Sherman in 1973 / 1974. Each of these trials was performed while a NASA planetary probe was approaching a previously unvisited planet (Pioneer 10 - Jupiter - 1973; Mariner 10 - Mercury - 1974 ).

There are many write-ups citing these trials, and they vary quite a bit on details.

Swann is always associated with the Pioneer 10 flyby of Jupiter, and Sherman is always associated with the Mariner 10 mission to Mercury. However, both of them were supposedly involved in both trials. Some accounts give the impression Swann alone addressed Jupiter and / or Sherman alone addressed Mercury.

Swann claimed a number of features for Jupiter, almost all of which were subsequently evaluated (by skeptics including Asimov) to have been obvious or already accepted within the relevant scientific communities.

Sherman claimed credit for correctly predicting Mercury had an atmosphere and a magnetic field, and he magnified his prediction's purported significance by further claiming both items had been denied by scientists. In fact, both issues had long been topics of debate within planetary science. Furthermore, Mariner 10's mission was explicitly planned to provide clues, if not answers, on both issues. Mariner 10 was carrying instruments specifically designed to gather data relevant to these very items.

I'm quite certain NASA never gave either of them an award. The award bit probably refers to physicist Russell Targ, who along with Harold Puthoff oversaw the project 'Star Gate', in which Swann was involved.

Targ received 2 awards from NASA, but these were for his work in lasers and laser-based communications.

I am genuinely impressed by the breadth and depth of your Reading. I suspect the account given in my book was a second or third-hand rehash of the Sherman story.,so glad it wasn't a complete fabrication.

Back