• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Astral Projection

Thanks, but ... I'm old enough to remember the Swann / Sherman interplanetary remote viewing stories from back then. It took some online digging to remind myself of the details and the controversies over whether they'd demonstrated anything interesting.

I'm not sure if what I'm about to tell you was astral projection or obe because it didn't happen to me, but once I'd learned of these things, many years later, it is possibly what happened. At the time, I was familiar with the idea of ghosts.

My youngest brother is 6 years younger than I and when this happened, I had to have been 7-8 years old as he was walking at the time. My one sister and I shared a bed and my little brother would often get up from his bed in the morning and come into our room to snuggle into bed with us. I don't know if my sister was awake at the time, she would have been 4-5 years old.

My shared bed was against a wall (my sister's side) and my side had a window at the head of the bed about maybe 3 feet away from the bed. One morning I awoke. It was probably just early morning because the room was not in shadow, but it was not bright light. As soon as I opened my eyes, I saw my little brother standing, dressed in his pj's, beside the bed looking down at me. I thought that he wanted to climb into bed with us and I didn't want to wake my sister. I whispered his name to ask him if he wanted in. As soon as I said his name, he faded before my eyes! I ducked under the covers and stayed there until I could no longer breathe. When I came aboveboard, he wasn't there.

Now, I often wonder if it was him astral projecting or having an obe. It was not me having sleep paralysis as I have also experienced this, although first one about 10 years later. With sleep paralysis, I can't move; in this one instance, I ducked under the covers immediately and was definitely awake..

i've read & heard that astral projection can be dangerous ? , there is an eckankar office in downtown moline & i've sometimes thought to wander in out of curiosity but i never have . they teach " soul travel " which unlike astral projection which is taught by other spiritual traditions , soul travel is not limited to the astral plane it allows you to go further & explore any of the god worlds . i've always wondered about groups like eckankar & other so called religious / spiritual groups & what & why they believe the things that they do .

Last edited:
In another thread I mentioned a man who wrote metaphysical books under the pen name of "Ophiel." I met him years ago and can affirm he was a down to earth, modest kind of person. In his books he related a lot of very odd experiences, and his writing style is unique. One of his books was on Astral Projection. His take on it was that you simply develop your conscious mind in a part of your being that already exists on the "inner planes", that you develop awareness in this other dimension of yourself, not that you exit your physical body in a spiritual vehicle.

I'm linking some of your experiences to stuff from his book:
The best way I can describe that light is to say it was the colour of that light on Iron Man's chest in the Avengers films, but made up of crystalline shards radiating out from the belly button.
To help in performing a meditation/prayer kind of exercise, he recommends memorizing the color the wavering quality of burning alcohol, brandy or whisky. "Don't waste the whisky or burn the house down!" he cautions. Check it out, Kryptonite, and let us know if that's the color you saw!

Years later and still mindful of his experience, I attempted projection and was at the point of transferring consciousness when a loud voice boomed in my head " NO !! ".
Hypnogogic noise and/or anxiety about losing control?
Another quote from "Ophiel"you might find interesting : "As you make your FIRST ENTRANCE into these inner planes via this dream method, a lot of very funny things happen . . . The actual change-birth-over-into-the Etheric is often accompanied by the darndest collection of NOISES THAT YOU EVER HEARD!!!! Bangs. Thumps, Bumps, Rattles, Cracks, Voices calling out names, including your own, end even loud explosions."

Sorry for the lengthy post. I find this stuff fascinating.

This is the last of my personal stories of Fortean interest I think. It's a tale of projection my grandparents would tell me years ago when they were alive.

This happened when my grandparents were courting, so around 1938 odd. My grandfather had joined the RAF as an apprentice and was away taking part in his basic training, while my grandmother was living with her father in Eastbourne.

One morning when my grandad woke up his friends in the same room were really worried about him. He'd been moaning and groaning all night and calling out the name Kathleen (my grandmother's name). They all couldn't sleep because of the noise he'd been making. Feeling that something must be wrong, he immediately wrote a letter to my nan asking if everything was okay.

Unknown to him at that point, there was also a letter inbound to him from my nan. She'd been woken in the night by a vision of my grandfather. He appeared sat at the end of her bed, looking perfectly normal but was wearing work overalls with a red mark around his right wrist. He didn't say anything and she kept reaching out to touch him, but he was always seemingly just out of range. She kept lighting matches to see him better, but every time it was light he would vanish only to reappear when the light went out. When she woke up in the morning, she knew it was true as she was in trouble with her father for using so many matches up.

The letters crossed over and each was amazed to get them. Turns out the red mark around my grandad's wrist had been where a button had come off his work overall that day and he'd wrapped some red wire around it to keep it safe.

My grandad had a keen interest in the paranormal after that, and a lifelong interest in astral projection which he never managed again. Such a shame he never saw a copy of FT or he'd have been hooked.

Only yesterday my wife’s cousin told us that he’d had an experience of astral projection some years ago. While asleep he woke with a start to discover he was floating a few feet above his bed and looking down at his wife. He thought he was dreaming and ‘decided to wake’ but he remained above the bed and totally awake with his full senses intact. He said he began trying to ‘swim’ back down to the bed but instead edged further away. For a few moments he thought he was dead and began to cry and shout his wife. Though he could hear his voice his wife didn’t stir. He then felt an extremely sharp pain on his forehead and slowly dropped back into his bed. He said it was a terrifying experience but has had no other experience of it since.

I was wondering if you could visit different times using Astral projection? You could go and check out various things. ‘Oh is that what the dinosaurs look like, well they got … wrong’

I was wondering if you could visit different times using Astral projection? You could go and check out various things. ‘Oh is that what the dinosaurs look like, well they got … wrong’

As IbisNibs mentioned, those proponents and guides that invoke the Akashic records tend to claim you can traverse time as well as space via astral projection.

However, there are many sub-species within, and spins upon, astral projection - depending on whose version / book / tradition / etc. you're using. Some of these variants only claim to traverse space (or maybe dimensions) without specifically claiming to traverse time.

:bump::sbump:

This looks interesting: an invitation form ASSAP to astrally project to a set destination at a particular time.

This paranormal experiment conducted by Amitava Michael Kundu, involves inviting astral travelers to ‘manifest’ at a predetermined location.

The research team will attempt to collect empirical evidence that astral travelers have managed to manifest into the target location suite using technical equipment such as video, audio, temperature, electromagnetic, field, detectors, and other sensory devices and tools.

This experiment’s success will be determined by those who successfully project to the site location. A variety of interactive control items will be on-site for travelers to manipulate, to validate their presence. This experiment will be live-streamed online.

Astral Projection Experiment ++ OPEN INVITATION ++

Just came across this post of mine again -
Sooo...

Last night I had a Youtube video playing to help me sleep. It was supposed to enable astral projection.
At some point in the night I woke up with a finger or thumb pressed against my forehead, as in some kind of third eye malarkey.

However, both my hands were wrapped round the duvet. So whose digit was it?

Yup, I know, I was dreaming. It seemed satisfactorily appropriate though.

Later there's this post -

Something went "wrong", something scary and he desperately tried to get out of bed - but he told me that there was a pressure like a finger on his forehead, that kept pushing his head back into the pillow with force.

How weird.

Just came across this post of mine again -

Later there's this post -

How weird.
Yes, it’s rather interesting that different people keep reporting the same phenomena when reporting ‘astral projection.’ I put it in inverted commas because it’s a subjective experience, and even the definition of exactly what constitutes that subjective experience is not well defined. Some people seem to include lucid dreaming. There does seem to be a link with lucid dreaming, but I’m not sure you can equate the two.

Anyway, this sensation of pressure in the forehead building up to actual pain has been well described before. Oliver Fox was writing about it in the 1920’s. He seemed to regard it as a central phenomenon. As he describes it, the pain would build up over time as the experience progressed, but if you could endure it it would then vanish and the experience would go on.

Fox’s book ‘Astral Projection’ is a real classic of the literature and a delightful read. I really like his style. What’s more, the book is now out of copyright so you can download it freely as an e-book. Do yourself a favour and read it if you haven’t already done so.

What do we make of all of this? Simply that the fact that so many people report the same phenomenon (the forehead pressure/pain thing) does suggest that there’s some common underlying physiology going on here. I couldn’t begin to guess the cause, but it’s an interesting clue.
fox1.png

fox2.png

Back