• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Atheist Author Elected Chief Chaplain Of Harvard University

Ascalon

Justified & Ancient
In a somewhat interesting turn-up, a celebrated atheist author has been elected as chaplain in the Ivy League university, Harvard.

From Atheist Republic:
"One of the special interests listed in the profile of Harvard’s new Chief Chaplain is “meaning and purpose beyond religion.” A very striking deviation from the century-old tradition of religious guidance usually expected of a chaplain. 400-years in the making, Harvard, an institution whose original mission was to educate religious ministers, has elected its first openly atheist chapel minister.

Greg Epstein is the current, newly-elected Chief Chaplain at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. He has served as a Humanist Chaplain for both Harvard and MIT and has served as the president of Harvard’s Chaplains. As president, Epstein oversaw and managed 40 chaplains from different religious and ethical backgrounds. At MIT, he is the Convener for Ethical Life under MIT’s Office of Religious, Spiritual, and Ethical Life.

Epstein grew up in a Jewish household in Flushing, Queens, New York, an area known to be very diverse in terms of the religious backgrounds of the residents. With his experience growing up in a religiously diverse neighborhood, Epstein was able to identify the growing number of students in Harvard “who no longer identify with any religious tradition but still experience a real need for conversation and support.” He has introduced everyone to the idea that an individual’s relationship can be centered on one another instead of a deity. His election as the Chief Chaplain was unanimous.

Margit Hammerstrom, the Chaplain for Christian Science, mused that other universities with a very traditional atmosphere might ask, “What the heck are they doing at Harvard?” She explained that Harvard’s environment is ready for having a humanist Chief Chaplain, explaining that “Greg is known for wanting to keep lines of communication open between different faiths.”"

A new departure for inter-faith inclusion, or an acknowledgement of the decline of faith in educational institutions?

Hmmm.

I recall that when a friend was made a priest, (what is the word?) Most of the folk behind the altar were introduced as atheists.

(...Now agnostics I might understand...)

I recall that when a friend was made a priest, (what is the word?) Most of the folk behind the altar were introduced as atheists.

(...Now agnostics I might understand...)
Quite a few members of C of E clergy are atheists or agnostics. They just went into it as a career.
I found this out from a guy I knew, who was a verger (or something like that). He was an atheist himself. A gay guy, too. I asked him about how he could live with the hypocrisy. He just laughed and told me he didn't care.

In a somewhat interesting turn-up, a celebrated atheist author has been elected as chaplain in the Ivy League university, Harvard.

From Atheist Republic:
"One of the special interests listed in the profile of Harvard’s new Chief Chaplain is “meaning and purpose beyond religion.” A very striking deviation from the century-old tradition of religious guidance usually expected of a chaplain. 400-years in the making, Harvard, an institution whose original mission was to educate religious ministers, has elected its first openly atheist chapel minister.

Greg Epstein is the current, newly-elected Chief Chaplain at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. He has served as a Humanist Chaplain for both Harvard and MIT and has served as the president of Harvard’s Chaplains. As president, Epstein oversaw and managed 40 chaplains from different religious and ethical backgrounds. At MIT, he is the Convener for Ethical Life under MIT’s Office of Religious, Spiritual, and Ethical Life.

Epstein grew up in a Jewish household in Flushing, Queens, New York, an area known to be very diverse in terms of the religious backgrounds of the residents. With his experience growing up in a religiously diverse neighborhood, Epstein was able to identify the growing number of students in Harvard “who no longer identify with any religious tradition but still experience a real need for conversation and support.” He has introduced everyone to the idea that an individual’s relationship can be centered on one another instead of a deity. His election as the Chief Chaplain was unanimous.

Margit Hammerstrom, the Chaplain for Christian Science, mused that other universities with a very traditional atmosphere might ask, “What the heck are they doing at Harvard?” She explained that Harvard’s environment is ready for having a humanist Chief Chaplain, explaining that “Greg is known for wanting to keep lines of communication open between different faiths.”"

A new departure for inter-faith inclusion, or an acknowledgement of the decline of faith in educational institutions?

Hmmm.
That's almost like an ecumenical matter…

The Romans had some very good ideas re; religious tolerance but they were unable to manage monotheism well.

Back