• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Attaching Ghosts (Spirit Attachments)

Dick Turpin

Justified & Ancient
Recently I was listening to an episode of bedtime stories where one of the narrators, were telling the audience of their own personal fortean experiences.

The story that creeped me out the most was one in which a spirt of a young girl, attached itself to the family of one of the narrators’ friends, whilst the family was on holiday. Because of this the holiday was cut short and the family returned home, only for the little ghost girl show up in the family home a few days later.

I find the attaching ghost concept truly disturbing. Your house has a problem with spooks, so you move only for them to turn up it the new house. Sod that.

Anyway. Does anyone have any accounts of attaching ghosts, or even their own personal experience of this?

I have heard similar accounts, although mostly to do with ghosts attached to objects. I have vague recollections of other cases of ghosts attaching themselves to people though, but would be hard pressed to dig one out of my book collection (the first thing I do when I visit a new town is head for the local bookshop's local interest section and buy any local ghost books. I have lots.).

Last edited:
Last week I spent over 2 hours strolling around the town I used to live in, while I was waiting for my teenage daughter to have her eyes checked, and was saddened to see not one book shop left in the entire town centre. Even Henning’s, which had been a family run concern for almost 100 years is now a costa coffee. Sigh

One of the most disastrous things about the internet age, is the loss of the high street bookshop.

Talking of ghost books though. I also visited the towns library that day but couldn’t find its true supernatural section. When I asked at the desk, I was told it was taken away a few years ago. Again……. SIGH.

On a brighter note, I did find the Ghosts of Borley, and Peter Haining’s excellent the Supernatural coast, both books had been mistakenly filed away into the local history section, so were saved.

Recently I was listening to an episode of bedtime stories where one of the narrators, were telling the audience of their own personal fortean experiences.

The story that creeped me out the most was one in which a spirt of a young girl, attached itself to the family of one of the narrators’ friends, whilst the family was on holiday. Because of this the holiday was cut short and the family returned home, only for the little ghost girl show up in the family home a few days later.

I find the attaching ghost concept truly disturbing. Your house has a problem with spooks, so you move only for them to turn up it the new house. Sod that.

Anyway. Does anyone have any accounts of attaching ghosts, or even their own personal experience of this?
Obviously I can't prove it and I'm the first to admit it could just be my imagination but I had a strong feeling I was 'followed home' after our last visit to Santon's All Saint's Church. I'd been dropped off on my empty street when we all got back home, was walking to my house and I kept getting the feeling someone was walking behind me and to the right, also peripheral vision stuff. Few a few days afterwards, I kept thinking I was catching glimpses of shadow shapes at the end of corridors and sometimes close to me. I put it down to tiredness and an over active imagination although the weird feeling (like a change in air pressure and mood) that we sometimes feel when we're out at locations sometimes was happening in my house which I don't normally feel at home.

Obviously I can't prove it and I'm the first to admit it could just be my imagination but I had a strong feeling I was 'followed home' after our last visit to Santon's All Saint's Church. I'd been dropped off on my empty street when we all got back home, was walking to my house and I kept getting the feeling someone was walking behind me and to the right, also peripheral vision stuff. Few a few days afterwards, I kept thinking I was catching glimpses of shadow shapes at the end of corridors and sometimes close to me. I put it down to tiredness and an over active imagination although the weird feeling (like a change in air pressure and mood) that we sometimes feel when we're out at locations sometimes was happening in my house which I don't normally feel at home.
Absolute bugger that Swifty. I would have been terrified.

I posted on here once of a very strong malign presence I felt in our flat, not long after Mrs DT’s grandmother passed away. I didn’t like it one bit. Mrs DT used to work away a lot back then, and I found myself staying at my parents’ house when she was off on a work trip

I do honestly believe I have seen a ghost and I found the experience interesting, but to feel haunted.??......no way Pedro (as delboy would say :) )

Back