• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Attachments & File Size

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
As I am suddenly having a problem with the size of file attachments, I would like to try an experiment, please.

Attached are two images. The first is the exact one I have previously uploaded, seemingly without any issues.

It was cropped from an original and then compressed using the LitPhoto Android app, before uploading.

In the second, I have taken the original and went through the exact same procedure again.

If either, or both, are an excessive size, it should help to identify the possible cause.

Both look absolutely fine from this side - how do they appear from yours?

Screenshot_20200226_101409_compress49.jpg

Screenshot_20200301_075802_compress89.jpg

Both images display at full size (large) on the forum. However, these attached image files aren't exactly the same.

The top / first one is 1080 X 1434 / 134 Kb
The bottom / second one is 1080 X 1404 / 130 Kb

In both cases, the actual on-screen display size of the image file (attachment) is even bigger than its apparent / displayed size on the forum page.

Instead of compressing the image, do a resizing operation.
So, look at how big the largest dimension is and reduce it to (say) 400 or 500 pixels. If you maintain the aspect ratio while resizing, the software should automatically work out the other dimension.

Your pictures are always full-sized.

You're right.

And I have no issue with the two examples that Confortably Numb has uploaded in the first post.

Both of them are re-sized to perfectly fit the text box. If I were to enlarge or shrink my viewing window, they would grow larger or shrink with it.

After you mentioned this previously, I did a few tests and everybody I consulted said their set-up was functioning the same way as mine,

MacOsX - Safari - Version 13.0.5.

Is the first of my London maps above too large for you?

And, if so, do you mean screen-breakingly large (so you can't see it all without moving around), or do you mean that it's too large to be nice/convenient?

You're right.

And I have no issue with the two examples that Confortably Numb has uploaded in the first post.

Both of them are re-sized to perfectly fit the text box. If I were to enlarge or shrink my viewing window, they would grow larger or shrink with it.

After you mentioned this previously, I did a few tests and everybody I consulted said their set-up was functioning the same way as mine,

MacOsX - Safari - Version 13.0.5.

Is the first of my London maps above too large for you?

And, if so, do you mean screen-breakingly large (so you can't see it all without moving around), or do you mean that it's too large to be nice/convenient?

The London thumbnail is fine. Your photos are the other size. They fit the screen but they take a lot of scrolling through when the page loads.
So yeah, too large to be convenient, especially on a phone.

The London thumbnail is fine. Your photos are the other size. They fit the screen but they take a lot of scrolling through when the page loads.

Right.

Will thumbnail post exclusively from now on.

Odd how they're loading differently for us.

I get this for the picture in the first post on my phone.

SmartSelect_20200301-202429_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's the full-screen image on one screen with no scroll.

Weirdly, I'm browsing this thread on my (Android) phone, and all the images are being displayed at the same size. So when Yith says "you get this ... Not this" there is no difference whatsoever in what I actually see..Screenshot_20200301-183249.png

Last edited:
Weirdly, I'm browsing this thread on my (Android) phone, and all the images are being displayed at the same size. So when Yith says "you get this ... Not this" there is no difference whatsoever in what I actually see.

Likewise, on Android.

They only appear different sizes on Safari on my laptop.

Likewise, on Android.

They only appear different sizes on Safari on my laptop.
That's interesting and may begin to explain the problem.

All images appear as intended on my Android moblle - both of those maps are exactly the same size and fit the screen.

So... why this has never come up before?

Are all the image attachments I upload, affected this way for some of you?

What about those uploaded to the, 'I Remember It Well' thread?

Last edited:
An experiment - I'm wondering if this has something to do with the screenshot.

First image is the actual photograph, second is a screenshot of same. Both have been compressed.

Any difference for you?

IMG_20200108_203722_compress31.jpg

Screenshot_20200301_125833_compress75.jpg

An experiment - I'm wondering if this has something to do with the screenshot.

First image is the actual photograph, second is a screenshot of same. Both have been compressed.

Any difference for you?

View attachment 23771

View attachment 23773
No difference for me on an iPad. When I click on them they are the same size until I hit the enlarge view which I guess is showing them at original size, it makes the first one massive but I actively have to do two clicking to get that.

No difference for me on an iPad. When I click on them they are the same size until I hit the enlarge view which I guess is showing them at original size, it makes the first one massive but I actively have to do two clicking to get that.
Exactly the same here, which is fine. So, how come these seem to be alright?

What if, instead of a photograph I have taken with the mobile, I attach a compressed screenshot captured from online...

Any problems?

IMG_20200301_133031_compress0.jpg

Instead of compressing the image, do a resizing operation.
What about this...

First image is compressed at the default resolution of 1034x1517.

Second is set to VGA resolution of 640x938.

Both appear identical here, any difference from your side?

Screenshot_20200301_134337_compress83.jpg

Screenshot_20200301_134337_compress83_resize_12_compress74.jpg

What about this...

First image is compressed at the default resolution of 1034x1517.

Second is set to VGA resolution of 640x938.

Both appear identical here, any difference from your side?

View attachment 23775

View attachment 23778
First one is larger as I look at them and when I click it I can enlarge it a bit more, I cannot click on the second one to embiggen it.

Much appreciated assistance from everyone.

Were both images perfectly viewable as an attachment?

How about this, set to QVGA resolution of
320x469.

View attachment 23779
Both viewable as is this latest one but the resolution is going, as I manually enlarge it there is noticeable loss of quality such as the readability of the photographers name.

Right then, this is set to SVGA resolution of 800x1037 and the compression quality reduced from 80% to 70% - 59k.

If this is perfectly viewable, will stick with that.

Screenshot_20200221_215618_resize_73.jpg

That's interesting and may begin to explain the problem.
All images appear as intended on my Android moblle - both of those maps are exactly the same size and fit the screen.

They all look the same because your platform (mobile device + apps + services) is dynamically adapting the displayed image size to fit your platform, regardless of the images' actual pixel-size.

It "works" transparently for you, but "irks" all too blatantly for others.

So... why this has never come up before?

It's been going on for over a year, but only intermittently until recently. For example, here's an example of an oversized image you uploaded / attached on 28 December 2018:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/bob-lazar-conclusions.9313/post-1813509

Its display size is constrained only by the forum software's display limits; it's actually even wider than the forum page content area boundaries.

Now look at the images in your next post after that (2nd post following). They are displayed as much smaller.

Are all the image attachments I upload, affected this way for some of you?
What about those uploaded to the, 'I Remember It Well' thread?

Yes - hell yes. At some point recently every image you post has been inflated to excessive pixel size. The previously intermittent oversized image problem became the standard in your posts.

And yes - you recently turned the "I Remember It Well" thread into a parking lot for off-putting-ly oversized images.

It probably relates to some procedural or software / service change you enacted recently. Figure out what you've shifted to doing all the time (versus only once in a while) in handling images and that will probably provide a vital clue.

Right then, this is set to SVGA resolution of 800x1037 and the compression quality reduced from 80% to 70% - 59k.
If this is perfectly viewable, will stick with that.

It arrived at the same pixel size (800 X 1037). That's relatively large for a cute snapshot, but at least it's not straining the forum boundaries.

Goodness me... to say the least, wish I hsd known about this previously.

Thank you all so much.

Indeed, my mobile is automatically rescalling images and consequently have been oblivious to any problems.

Grateful it makes sense now.

So... this attachment should be alright for everyone else.

I have further reduced file size to maximum of 500x width and compression quality to 60% - 25k.

Please may this be sufficient...

Screenshot_20200224_155648_resize_53.jpg

Goodness me... to say the least, wish I hsd known about this previously.

Thank you all so much.

Indeed, my mobile is automatically rescalling images and consequently have been oblivious to any problems.

Grateful it makes sense now.

So... this attachment should be alright for everyone else.

I have further reduced file size to maximum of 500x width and compression quality to 60% - 25k.

Please may this be sufficient...

View attachment 23784
I think that's a good size.

Back