• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Attachments & File Size

... So... this attachment should be alright for everyone else.

I have further reduced file size to maximum of 500x width and compression quality to 60% - 25k.

Yep - this most recent image was uploaded as 500 X 624 @ 72 ppi.

A 25k filesize is essentially trivial. I don't know what "compression" is being applied on your end, but I'd suggest simply ramping up the quality as long as you're limiting the pixel size. It's the pixel / display sizes that have been excessive, not the file sizes.

FWIW ... My rule of thumb is to usually aim for a width of circa 600 - 800 pixels, unless the image's content justifies something different.

If it's a landscape image justifying maximum width, any horizontal span exceeding (circa) 1000 pixels is useless, because the forum software will auto-reduce it to something in that neighborhood to fit it within the page presentation specs.

... your platform (mobile device + apps + services) is dynamically adapting the displayed image size to fit your platform, regardless of the images' actual pixel-size.

It "works" transparently for you...

[...]

It probably relates to some procedural or software / service change you enacted recently. Figure out what you've shifted to doing all the time (versus only once in a while) in handling images and that will probably provide a vital clue.
So... basically it's not my fault if someone else has a rubbish device, which can't do this.

See... I could have told you that from the very beginn......

OK... in all seriousness, believe we have an explanation.

You latter suggestion was indeed a key clue.

Yes, something changed - I had to buy a new mobile phone.

The current incumbent has a vastly superior screen resolution of 1080x2340 and 408 dpi.

Mentioned that I screenshot most images uploaded, as they can then be edited - usually cropped - when displayed in the default Gallery app.

Took a screenshot there to confirm my suspicion and guess what, the image is 1080x2340...

Even compressed via the LitPhoto app and unedited - image compressed from 343k to 66K - it's still 1080x2340.

Thankfully, this can easily now be resolved and so grateful for everyone's assistance.

If we meet some day, I shall buy you all a traditional Scottish dinner...

Screenshot_20200303_094057_resize_75.jpg

Back