• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I have the book of Jonathan Livingston Seagull (which was a racket if ever there was one) and have seen the film, which is mostly sky with a seagull in the distance.
A racket? How do you mean?
It was a bit 'cultish' among the highly-intelligent types at my school, I seem to recall.

Looking at the date, I can't believe it's so long since he died. I get a lot out of his work and want very much to see the hut and garden, whatever state it is in. A pilgrimage.

A racket? How do you mean?
It was a bit 'cultish' among the highly-intelligent types at my school, I seem to recall.

I bought the book out of curiosity, it was a bit pricey but I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I got about ten lines of vague philosophy you could read anything you wanted into in a story about a seagull flying fast, and a few photos of a seagull. Yet it sold millions. As I say, a racket.

For it's time it was amazing :) Like all these things, it "works" only if it plugs into something you already have. Having the something or not having it isn't a value judgement - I find self help books give me the grues for example.

Yeah, I was probably too late for it, I read it twenty years after it was a phenomenon. But I liked seeking out books like that at the time, and some of them aged better than others. Maybe they go in cycles, and their time will come again. Didn't teach me much about seagulls, mind you.

Worm charming, watch for gulls standing in one spot and seemingly stamping their feet,
this fools worms into thinking it's raining and they come to the surface, dinner is served.
often see them on roundabouts in this area.

I didn't know that. I loved the style of the book. Should have guessed he was writing from experience!

My niece was recently brutalized by a North Sea seagull. It swooped in and knocked her down and spilled her drink all over her, then while she was stunned by the aggression, it made off with her fried fish. Those gulls are thugs.

A pair of very bold gulls were diving down into the road ahead of me to tear up some tasty morsel, undeterred by the busy traffic.

Luckily, I was slowing to a crawl to join the inevitable queue for a contraflow, or one of the spiralling greedy-guts would have been through my windscreen. There was quite an impact but it must have continued in its flight, as I did not see it land in the road. The evil expression on its face seemed to me to be saying, "I bet collisions with us are not covered by your policy! Might as well go out kamikaze style!" :eek:

One of my ghost crew mates was attacked by a couple of seagulls yesterday ..

She was scoffing a sausage roll, refused to surrender it to the first one then was attacked from the side by a second one .. little bastards ..

aseagull002.jpg

One of my ghost crew mates was attacked by a couple of seagulls yesterday ..

She was scoffing a sausage roll, refused to surrender it to the first one then was attacked from the side by a second one .. little bastards ..

View attachment 27858

Oooh I hope she had that really well-cleaned. Scavenger birds' beaks are dirty.

PLease can you explain "worm charming"? :twothumbs:

Worm charming is encouraging worms to the surface by making them think it's raining. Humans do it as a jokey sport. You get a little section of the field and set to work charming the worms by dancing, playing music, tapping on the grass etc. All good fun.

It's taken very seriously in Cheshire where there's an annual competitive Worm Charming event, with rules and ghillies an' all sorts.

This year's event took place online with competitors invited to photograph and video their pitches. I was tempted to take part with a load of toy snakes, dinosaurs, Loch Ness monsters etc.

Oooh I hope she had that really well-cleaned. Scavenger birds' beaks are dirty.
She's been for a tetanus today. The nurse who gave her the shot said the same thing happened to her the day before down to the detail that it was also a vegan sausage roll. I've sent her this link .. (I own one of these)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-Barnett-BLACK-WIDOW-Powerful-Hunting-Slingshot-Catapult-100-x-38-BB-Ammo/232074236129?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3D6b708276ae7343cba6abe8768d2164b0%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D232117653410%26itm%3D232074236129%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

.. and to add insult to injury, she left the surgery an hour ago and a seagull had shat on her car in their car park. Luckily she's keeping a sense of humour about it all .. it's strangely in the shape of a bird ..

aseagull003.jpg

Last edited:
That splat looks vaguely like a wood pigeon, might have been what the seagull ate..:dunno:

That splat looks vaguely like a wood pigeon, might have been what the seagull ate..:dunno:
Yeah .. unfortunately not quite seagull looking enough to get into FT and requires a stretch of the imagination ...

She's written:

Just come back from doctors after having a tetanus and a seagull left me a gift on my car. Lol.
The nurse said the same thing happened to her the day before whilst eating a vegan sausage roll. Lol
Even the doctor laughed.

Scavenging gulls are often infected with avian botulism type c,
I know and now you do that avian botulism is harmless to humans
but does the botulism know that? it's enough to put me off getting
to chummy with them.

Scavenging gulls are often infected with avian botulism type c,
I know and now you do that avian botulism is harmless to humans
but does the botulism know that? it's enough to put me off getting
to chummy with them.
I've been told seagulls taste 'muddy/fishy' and horrible which is a pity .. we could all kill two birds with one stone and eat the little bastards.

Back