• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've seen seaguls attack by the thames, Bournemouth beach, Brighton beach, for chips. I heard they into roughing up bald people now. I have a friend whose bald. But haven't seen any seagulls come for him.

Reactions: Jim
Seagull Steals Crisps From Co-op

“A member of staff took the packet before he could open it.

The seagull is a regular thief. “Apparently he normally steals the pasta pots which are much easier to get into.”

The gull then leaves the shop with the packet of crisps

video at link.

Seagull news:
Looky here

Scientists have discovered the way to stop seagulls stealing your food: stare them out. If you keep looking the birds in the eye, they get intimidated and leave your chips alone. It's like a Top Tip.

That only works if there's just the one gull.

Remember how the the 'raptors in Jurassic Park hunted in packs, so one would distract you while the others closed in? Who d'you reckon taught them THAT? Eh? Eh?

Our location is 600 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, but as unbelievable as it seems, each year seagulls migrate to our area

to spent the winter ( Tennessee is full of lakes ).

They are mostly seen in parking lots, but the seagulls cause no trouble or bother.

This has been going on for years.

Our location is 600 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, but as unbelievable as it seems, each year seagulls migrate to our area

to spent the winter ( Tennessee is full of lakes ).

They are mostly seen in parking lots, but the seagulls cause no trouble or bother.

This has been going on for years.
In the UK seagulls have been reclassified as inland scavenging birds

Thats what i read a while ago, might be a UL but there are certainly more seagulls where i live 50+ miles inland than where my folks friends live on the coast in devon.
I found this reference:

Are seagulls turning their backs to the sea for an easy life in the city? Is there even such a thing as a seagull at all?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20160708-have-seagulls-abandoned-the-sea

We get gulls'ere, at least 30 miles from the nearest coast. They are the small sort though. Haven't seen any of the big ones.*

As a child I was told two things about seeing gulls inland, as I have probably already mentioned -

1. It meant weather conditions at sea were too rough. I realised at about the age of 8 that as there are seabirds literally called 'stormy petrels' this is unlikely.

2. The gulls chased the 'fish trains' that carried each day's catch towards the Big Cities.
The wagons would have lids on though. The gulls would know they couldn't nick any fish.

*Awesome ornithological skills here.

We get gulls'ere, at least 30 miles from the nearest coast. They are the small sort though. Haven't seen any of the big ones.*

As a child I was told two things about seeing gulls inland, as I have probably already mentioned -

1. It meant weather conditions at sea were too rough. I realised at about the age of 8 that as there are seabirds literally called 'stormy petrels' this is unlikely.

2. The gulls chased the 'fish trains' that carried each day's catch towards the Big Cities.
The wagons would have lids on though. The gulls would know they couldn't nick any fish.

*Awesome ornithological skills here.
When I was younger and lived in Edinburgh the seagulls would cause so much havoc that the council brought in a hawk of some kind to kill them.

I'd hear them nesting on top of the chimneys.

I see them 200 miles inland in fields that are just coming up and in cornfields. I think they've successfully made the transition.

Bloody things we were at whitby last weekend and my son put his fish and chips down on the bench next to him and the damn bird landed and pulled the tray away scattered everything next second they were all over them and him.wouldn’t mind but they were from the magpie chippy and we had queued for ages.

Bird strike. Not tried it but they recon sticking a pair eyes on the back of your hat puts them off, is there no gull pill stop the buggers breeding they are so greedy there would be no problem getting them down their necks

We have nesting Gulls on the flat roof of a building directly behind our back garden. I know they are only protecting their young but they are a pain in the arse when they constantly dive bomb us for attempting to go out into our garden. Trying to hang clothes out to dry on the washing line is no fun when I’m being intimidated by a shitehawk threatening to shank me with its beak and poo all over my clean washing/the car/the house/my head. There is a secondery school next to us and I’ve seen a couple of school kids who did nothing more than walk past being chased down the road by an angry screeching gull. Now I love wildlife. I have a pretty good relationship with the local crow gang, and I consider a robin that lives nearby and who pops round regularly for a snack to be a good friend, but there is no bargaining with a gull. They are having none of it! It’s like living next to the neighbours from hell.

We have nesting Gulls on the flat roof of a building directly behind our back garden. I know they are only protecting their young but they are a pain in the arse when they constantly dive bomb us for attempting to go out into our garden. Trying to hang clothes out to dry on the washing line is no fun when I’m being intimidated by a shitehawk threatening to shank me with its beak and poo all over my clean washing/the car/the house/my head. There is a secondery school next to us and I’ve seen a couple of school kids who did nothing more than walk past being chased down the road by an angry screeching gull. Now I love wildlife. I have a pretty good relationship with the local crow gang, and I consider a robin that lives nearby and who pops round regularly for a snack to be a good friend, but there is no bargaining with a gull. They are having none of it! It’s like living next to the neighbours from hell.
A moderated .410 should solve your problem.

Do gulls have any natural predators? I don't think a housecat would be helpful. Possibly rent several falcons? or deal with the nesting site?

Do gulls have any natural predators? I don't think a housecat would be helpful. Possibly rent several falcons? or deal with the nesting site?
Foxes, if they nested where they historically did, urban gulls may still be targeted by urban foxes I suppose, but they waaaay outnumber foxes.

There are often fights between seagulls and raptors above our house. Neither side ever wins, they usually end up with the seagulls mates turning up and then everyone goes home.

Reactions: RaM
Bloody things we were at whitby last weekend and my son put his fish and chips down on the bench next to him and the damn bird landed and pulled the tray away scattered everything next second they were all over them and him.wouldn’t mind but they were from the magpie chippy and we had queued for ages.
Well, when the chips are down... !

Back