• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
We are about 500 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but in the winter herring gulls flock to the many lakes in Tennessee.

We have been warned that herring gulls can be aggressive, but when they walk around in parking areas, the gulls seem calm.

I live in the United Kingdom.

In a seaside town know for selling pasties, many gulls swoop out of the air and
snatch a pasty out of an unsuspecting tourists hand.

It frightens a lot of people.

Dogs used to chase off gulls at Sydney Harbour cafe

Seems to be popular & effective - diners have less of their food stolen, cafe has less broken crockery, dogs are happy.

Video.

1645188958545.png

Venice hotels are equipping guests with water guns to use on the city's aggressive seagulls.
Venice hotels arming guests with water guns to ward off seagulls

Hotels in Venice, Italy, announced guests are being armed against the city's aggressive seagulls with an unusual form of protection: water guns.

The AVA, the hotelier's association for the city of Venice, said guests are being given orange water guns to ward off the city's seagulls, which are known to aggressively go after food and anything else they see as edible. ...

"They really work, they're also colored orange, which those birds don't like," Paolo Lorenzoni , director of the historic Gritti Hotel near the Grand Canal, told ANSA.

He said the birds are already learning to avoid anyone brandishing a water gun.

"As soon as they see the pistols, they fly away," he said. "You don't even need to use them, you just need to keep them on the table." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...ing-guests-water-guns-seagulls/8231648064370/

Saw this just now on Facebook -

Today I was walking down Market Jew Street when I was almost knocked off my feet by a seagull running out of Holland and Barrett with a chocolate bar clutched tightly in its beak.

The seagull was closely followed by an exasperated member of staff. By this time the seagull had safely crossed the road and was busy unwrapping his chocolate.

Apparently the seagull's name is Frank and it turns out he's a bit of a heller. He is no stranger to the shop staff because he does this every single day!

The shop worker explained that it's useless trying to stop him because even if you manage to catch him and take the chocolate off him, he never gives up.

He just comes back ten minutes later and does it again!

A persistent seagull shoplifter with a sweet tooth - what an absolute legend - Only in Penzance!

Gull with chocolate 1.jpegGull with chocolate 2.jpegGull with chocolate 3.jpegGull with chocolate 4.jpeg

We had a wood pigeon walk in yesterday it was standing in the conservatory looking at us we got up and it wandered out then waited for us to chuck it a bit of bird food, cheeky little sod

That's what I find interesting they seem to have a fear of man yet will walk into
a house, maybe it due to them having chicks to feed, don't know to be honest,
on the other hand we discourage gulls as they have been attacking people
they don't come near when I am about.

That's what I find interesting they seem to have a fear of man yet will walk into
a house, maybe it due to them having chicks to feed, don't know to be honest,
on the other hand we discourage gulls as they have been attacking people
they don't come near when I am about.
Birds learn from each other, as we know. When gulls realise that they could stroll into our homes en masse and plunder them if they felt like it, we're stuffed. :(

Birds learn from each other, as we know. When gulls realise that they could stroll into our homes en masse and plunder them if they felt like it, we're stuffed. :(
I'm afraid that there won't be enough of them to burgle a one bedroom flat they way their numbers are crashing. Every RSPB count shows catastrophic collapses in their populations from 30 years ago. Its the same here in Ireland.

I live in the United Kingdom.

In a seaside town know for selling pasties, many gulls swoop out of the air and
snatch a pasty out of an unsuspecting tourists hand.

It frightens a lot of people.
Ha Ha. This happened to me about 12 years ago in Eastbourne. I had just walked out of a bakery with a chicken and mushroom slice, took the slice out of the little paper bag then thuuuummmp.

Somethings just happened I thought. I looked around in surprise, but no one was close by to me. I shrugged my shoulders and went to eat the slice then noticed a perfect triangular shape about 3 inches in length missing from it. I threw the rest of it away and bought another slice, but this time ate it in the relative safety of a shop doorway :)

Brighton is the worst for these things to happen in my experience.

I'm afraid that there won't be enough of them to burgle a one bedroom flat they way their numbers are crashing. Every RSPB count shows catastrophic collapses in their populations from 30 years ago. Its the same here in Ireland.
All the more reason for them to plan a mass attack.

Don't more gulls live in cities than on coasts now?

We had a wood pigeon walk in yesterday it was standing in the conservatory looking at us we got up and it wandered out then waited for us to chuck it a bit of bird food, cheeky little sod

I was traveling west on the district line many years ago, when a pigeon got on the train at west ham station, wait perfectly calm and still by the doors, for 2 stops before hopping off the train at Bow Road like it the most normal thing for a pigeon to do.

All the more reason for them to plan a mass attack.

Don't more gulls live in cities than on coasts now?
I don't know but I would think that's possible in certain places. Even if the populations may have increased in some urban areas it doesn't distract from the fact that their numbers have plummeted. I think herring gulls were even on the red list. Anyway i got into trouble before on this page for sticking up for them and i know the page is attacked by seagulls so i'll leave it there. Maybe i should start a help the seagulls page :)

I don't know but I would think that's possible in certain places. Even if the populations may have increased in some urban areas it doesn't distract from the fact that their numbers have plummeted. I think herring gulls were even on the red list. Anyway i got into trouble before on this page for sticking up for them and i know the page is attacked by seagulls so i'll leave it there. Maybe i should start a help the seagulls page :)

Number of urban seagulls in Britain nearly quadrupled in last 15 years, says research

Research shows that the number of urban gull colonies in the UK and Ireland has doubled from 239 in 2000 to 473 now

The number of urban seagulls in the UK has nearly quadrupled in the past 15 years, according to research which challenges claims that gulls are becoming more aggressive and suggests a soaring population is to blame for the rise in bird attacks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/clima...-in-last-15-years-says-research-10431771.html

maximus otter

I'd click on that. :)

We have them here most days, scores of miles from the sea, swooping around and squabbling on the shed. They're about the only birds I see in the garden because we keep cats.

Number of urban seagulls in Britain nearly quadrupled in last 15 years, says research

Research shows that the number of urban gull colonies in the UK and Ireland has doubled from 239 in 2000 to 473 now

The number of urban seagulls in the UK has nearly quadrupled in the past 15 years, according to research which challenges claims that gulls are becoming more aggressive and suggests a soaring population is to blame for the rise in bird attacks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/clima...-in-last-15-years-says-research-10431771.html

maximus otter

Only one solution.

nukeem.gif

This little Fella used to come into Gino's Cafe every morning, come up to the cashiers station, and wait.

He's a Willy Wag Tail (Rhipidura leucophrys), and in this neck of the woods, Fremantle, Western Australia, he's known to eavesdrop on the living and tell the recently dead if people are speaking ill of them.

Interestingly, Gino, the owner of Gino's, had recently died.
IMG_9143.jpg

Well, not attacks by seagulls, but gulls taking a police vehicle out of service..

Under a nest: protected gulls roost on roof of Dorset police car​

Officers block access to vehicle to keep pair of herring gulls undisturbed

Link to Guardian article here.

I risked opening the bedroom window last night as it was stuffy, only to be woken by screeching at something o'clock. I went to close the window and saw hundreds of seagulls swooping around in the black sky, all lit up white by factory lights below. Worth it. :)

I’ve noticed.an increase in gulls round my way this year. They’re big & noisy. The other day on my way to the shops I passed one in the middle of the road eating a pigeon which I presume it had caught & killed. On my way back around 30 mins later it was still there with substantially less pigeon left. It wouid've had to vacate the spot occasionally when cars passed & didn’t drag it to a better place - maybe they’re not so smart.

I risked opening the bedroom window last night as it was stuffy, only to be woken by screeching at something o'clock. I went to close the window and saw hundreds of seagulls swooping around in the black sky, all lit up white by factory lights below. Worth it. :)

A lot of seagulls whooping it up in Dublin late at night as well.

Very likely feasting upon Flying Ants which swarm upwards on warm air thermals. I spotted them doing that locally just a couple of days ago in large numbers.

Very likely feasting upon Flying Ants which swarm upwards on warm air thermals. I spotted them doing that locally just a couple of days ago in large numbers.
That is pretty cool but in the middle of the night though? I think they were asleep over there and something noised them up. Maybe a passer by with a dog.

Meanwhile, in the world of "Man Bites Dog"
https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/03/dors...-battered-with-cricket-bat-on-beach-17120208/

Manhunt after seagull battered with cricket bat on beach promenade​

Comment
author image
Sean SeddonWednesday 3 Aug 2022 2:18 pm

298SHARES
Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK -April 14th 2018: Seagulls swooping on & devouring the remains of a fish & chip meal left unattended. Seagulls are a UK seaside nuisance.

The bird had to be put down after suffering a broken wing in the attack (Picture: Getty)
Police are hunting a cricket bat-wielding yob who attacked a seagull in full view of playing children.
The bird was struck by a man on the seafront in Lyme Regis shortly before 4pm on Sunday.
It suffered a broken wing and had to be put down shortly afterwards.
Investigators want to question a man in his 50s who was reported by witnesses as having a South African accent.
He was described as around 5ft 10 in tall and was wearing wearing a grey Jim Beam-branded T-shirt and a grey hat at the time.
The incident took place near to Poco Pizza on Marine Parade while the beachfront was busy with visitors.

Police constable Josh Hurwood, of West Dorset police, said: ‘This was a distressing incident for people to have witnessed, with many young families in the area at the time and we are carrying out an investigation, with support from the RSPCA, to identify the man involved.
Marine Parade in Lyme Regis

It happened on busy Marine Parade during a sunny Sunday afternoon when the area was packed with visitors (Picture: Google)
‘This occurred on the seafront at a busy time of day, and we are appealing for anyone who saw what happened, or who has any information relating to the man’s identity, to please come forward.’
A spokesperson for the RSPCA urged witnesses to contact the police or the RSPCA.
They added: ‘We are working with police to investigate this incident.
‘Sadly, a gull was seriously injured and had to be put to sleep.’

Meanwhile, in the world of "Man Bites Dog"
https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/03/dors...-battered-with-cricket-bat-on-beach-17120208/

Manhunt after seagull battered with cricket bat on beach promenade​

Comment
author image
Sean SeddonWednesday 3 Aug 2022 2:18 pm

298SHARES
Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK -April 14th 2018: Seagulls swooping on & devouring the remains of a fish & chip meal left unattended. Seagulls are a UK seaside nuisance.

The bird had to be put down after suffering a broken wing in the attack (Picture: Getty)
Police are hunting a cricket bat-wielding yob who attacked a seagull in full view of playing children.
The bird was struck by a man on the seafront in Lyme Regis shortly before 4pm on Sunday.
It suffered a broken wing and had to be put down shortly afterwards.
Investigators want to question a man in his 50s who was reported by witnesses as having a South African accent.
He was described as around 5ft 10 in tall and was wearing wearing a grey Jim Beam-branded T-shirt and a grey hat at the time.
The incident took place near to Poco Pizza on Marine Parade while the beachfront was busy with visitors.

Police constable Josh Hurwood, of West Dorset police, said: ‘This was a distressing incident for people to have witnessed, with many young families in the area at the time and we are carrying out an investigation, with support from the RSPCA, to identify the man involved.
Marine Parade in Lyme Regis

It happened on busy Marine Parade during a sunny Sunday afternoon when the area was packed with visitors (Picture: Google)
‘This occurred on the seafront at a busy time of day, and we are appealing for anyone who saw what happened, or who has any information relating to the man’s identity, to please come forward.’
A spokesperson for the RSPCA urged witnesses to contact the police or the RSPCA.
They added: ‘We are working with police to investigate this incident.
‘Sadly, a gull was seriously injured and had to be put to sleep.’

10,000 holidaymakers say, “A good start, keep it up!

“A distressing incident…” :bs:

[RSPCA] added: ‘We are working with police..” :bs::bs:

maximus otter

10,000 holidaymakers say, “A good start, keep it up!

“A distressing incident…” :bs:

[RSPCA] added: ‘We are working with police..” :bs::bs:

maximus otter
My first thought was (unkindly) "A cricket bat? Amateur. A tennis racket is far handier for that sort of thing."

Back