• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Watch this seagull cause chaos in a St Ives shop before a brave member of the public throws it out
By WBtgainey | Posted: August 01, 2016

This was the moment shop assistants called on a member of the public to heroically eject an unwanted customer - of the feathered variety.
A brazen seagull waltzed into Norway Stores in St Ives last Tuesday morning before being thrown out by someone who heard the commotion from the street, but not after putting up a good fight to stay.

The seagull went undetected in the shop for just under a minute before flapping its wings and blowing its cover.
[Video]

Despite only being in the shop for two minutes the bird caused chaos, with shop assistants forced to use a variety of tactics - including using a rubbish bag as bait as well as a fishing net - to get him out.
Fortunately for us the whole episode was caught on CCTV.

etc...

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/this-is...st-ives-shop/story-29571695-detail/story.html

We've seen them in shops before, but now they're moving up a gear!
Unexpected flight-em: Seagull sparks Truro Tesco evacuation
17 August 2016 Last updated at 18:42 BST

A seagull forced staff to evacuate a branch of Tesco after it flew inside the store.
Footage from inside the Tesco store, in Truro, Cornwall, shows the bird flying above the store's freezer section.
It evaded attempts to capture it by staff on ladders.

Shopper Brad Hutchinson said staff set off the fire alarm and told members of the public to leave immediately at around 20:45 BST on Tuesday.
A spokesman for Tesco said staff closed the store so they could safely release the seagull and apologised for any inconvenience caused.

Video: Brad Hutchinson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37111769

I must admit if I had aggressive seagulls near my house I'd be practising with a slingshot. Rules or no rules...

In my childhood, when one heard seagulls we'd nod and say 'Fish train's in!'

I've been hearing seagulls in the middle of the night recently. Are they supposed to be nocturnal? Are they training to be ninja?

I've been hearing seagulls in the middle of the night recently. Are they supposed to be nocturnal? Are they training to be ninja?
Modern towns have too much artificial light. The lighting here has been improved in recent years, but you still do see gulls flying at night.

I didn't think of that, but it's still a new nighttime sound. You do hear blackbirds and actual nocturnal birds sometimes around here, but seagulls are a new one on me.

Notorious St Ives seagull W195 lands on a man's head to steal his ice cream
By CMJacqui | Posted: October 20, 2016

15630897-large.jpg

The moment St Ives' most notorious seagull landed on a Peter Etherington's head to steal his ice cream

St Ives' most notorious seagull has been at it again - landing on a man's HEAD to steal his ice cream.

Seagull W195, who was made famous in the BBC1 programme Nature's Boldest Thieves, swooped down and perched on top of Peter Etherington to make a grab for his 99 cornet.

The photos clearly show the offending gull is W195, who was said to be the ringleader of seagulls who swoop on unsuspecting holidaymakers in St Ives to steal food - particularly in the summer months.

Peter, 65, and his wife Jane, 65, had gone to Cornwall, in an attempt to relive their honeymoon they spent there 44 years ago.

Peter, of Cranleigh, Surrey, said it didn't quite get his ice cream but was a "bit scratchy" - and brought back memories of when they were in the same spot over all that time ago.

He said: "I was walking in St Ives with my wife when the seagull dropped on my head to try and take my ice cream. Luckily it didn't take my ice cream but it was a bit scratchy on my head."

Photographer Greg Caygill said: "These photos show his name, it's gull W: 195. Its a well know problem in St. Ives. Gulls often swoop down to visitors food around the harbour. But this gull, has been named and shamed! :twisted:
"Some people have talked about how to solve the problem, and which gulls are to blame. Well this one was well and truly caught in the act."

This summer incidents in the town included a girl who fell of the pier trying to avoid a gull swoop and had to be rescued and taken away by the Devon Air Ambulance.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/notorio...is-ice-cream/story-29825822-detail/story.html

Which reminds me. Poldark better invent the pasty soon. I'm getting impatient with this series.

News from Brighton: Seagull steals delivery driver's cheese and bacon toastie
Malcolm, who works in distribution, added: "I was in Norfolk and we had a picnic and we had no problem. They didn’t bother us. In Eastbourne they don't bother you either. The Brighton ones are the worst without a doubt.
He clearly didn't have his picnic in Great Yarmouth 'cause the seagulls there are notorious.

The wife used to walk home from work about half a mile each evening and the same
gull would fly along with her every time then fly off as she turned into the drive,
never made and aggressive move or noise she used to say it was seeing her home
but what it was really doing we have no idea, never fed it so a bit of a mystery.

The wife used to walk home from work about half a mile each evening and the same
gull would fly along with her every time then fly off as she turned into the drive,
but what it was really doing we have no idea, never fed it so a bit of a mystery.
The Truman Show has become really good at concealing cameras.

Reactions: RaM

My parents used to joke that whichever of them died first would come back as a seagull and crap all over the other. Once when times were hard Dad went off to Scotland to look for work and as there were no mobiles back then and we didn't have a home phone, there was no contact for a bit. One day Mother got crapped on by a seagull and was convinced that Dad'd had an accident and died. She didn't believe he was OK until he turned up at home a few days later.

Watch this couple feed seagulls as war on birds taken to Parliament by MP Oliver Colvile
By G_Bartlett | Posted: February 07, 2017
Video

People living in Cornwall know you don't feed seagulls - but visitors from over the Tamar see it as a bit of fun.
While they may think they are helping a poor bit of wildlife to have a meal, they're actually doing more harm than good.

Today the topic will be debated over an hour and a half in Parliament - just as we caught a couple chucking an almost-endless supply of what appears to be bread to gulls on Malpas River, Truro.
MP Oliver Colvile wants to see a crackdown on seagulls – because one of them once stole his friend's fish and chips.

The Sutton and Devonport MP has secured the Westminster Hall debate on the topic of "seagulls in coastal towns and cities".
Mr Colvile told our sister site The Plymouth Herald: "It's a big issue in seaside towns where seagulls can be quite invasive.
"Indeed, I was out campaigning on one occasion with a mate of mine when suddenly this seagull decided it was going to take his fish and chips from him.
"I am aware that they are a protected species, but we need to do more."

Several regions have introducing a variety of measures in an attempt to control gull numbers, including on-the-spot-fines for anyone caught feeding seagulls.
Mr Colvile says many constituents have written to him asking for a solution.

"There are a series of things the council have done in the past," he says.
"They replaced some of the seagulls' eggs with fake eggs.

"I think it's to do with the number of seagulls that are now appearing. It's a very difficult issue, but I want to raise it with the Government to make sure they do what they can.
"One thing we could do is to make sure we build buildings so they are not going to find it easy to nest in there, that kind of thing."

http://www.cornwalllive.com/watch-t...on-the-birds/story-30117745-detail/story.html

NB: the video shows the Truro river (not the Malpas river), just by Tesco.

MP says spikes should be installed around Plymouth to scare off seagulls
By samblackledge | Posted: February 07, 2017

A city MP is calling for "anti-seagull spikes" to be installed around Plymouth to protect residents from attacks.
Speaking in a Parliamentary debate on Tuesday, Oliver Colvile also suggested painting gulls' eggs red "so they will think they are on fire", and predicted "gull wars" on UK streets if the Government does not take action.
"This debate is particularly timely as we approach the spring and the breeding season," Mr Colvile said.
"By May, eggs will be hatching and the gulls become even more aggressive as they seek to protect their young.
"As we head in the summer, we could very well see 'gull wars' on our high streets.

"My office mate, the honorable member for South East Cornwall, has told me the old saying that 'Each seagull carries the soul of a fisherman who has died at sea'."

Mr Colvile says the UK's relatively mild climate, and the availability of food in urban environments, means most species of gull no longer need to travel during the winter.
"Like all wild animals, seagulls have an ingrained will to survive," he said.
"Much of this comes down to the fact that they are scavengers, looking for food scraps wherever they can find them."

Mr Colvile applied for the debate after recounting the moment an "overly aggressive" seagull stole his friend's fish and chips while they were out campaigning in Torbay.
"This happened, but that is not the reason why I have sought this debate," he said.
"This is not a vendetta, it is an opportunity to ensure that shoppers, residents and tourists feel safe when they are outdoors."

Mr Colvile asked the Department for Food and Rural Affairs to "make it easier to control the gull" when the public are in danger of being attacked.
"I also firmly believe we need greater flexibility in protecting very different species," he said.
"If population growth occurs, it should be made easier to change the list of protected species on a regional basis.

"When I was a child I always believed that if there was a bad storm at sea, the birds had a tendency to come inland.
"Studies show that from 2000 to 2015 the number of urban gull colonies in the UK doubled. Indeed, the number of gulls could have quadrupled over that time."

The Sutton and Devonport MP has come up with some suggestions for how the problem could be tackled.
"Spikes are used to deter not just gulls, but pigeons and other birds too," he said.
"In built-up urban areas such as Plymouth, I believe spikes could be helpful in making it very difficult for the birds to land in high-infestation areas.

"It has also been suggested that councils could paint eggs red so gulls think they are on fire and will not sit on top of them to incubate them.
"From what I understand, gulls see in black and white and not in colour. Perhaps that's because they went and bought the wrong TV licence. :rolleyes:
"This is an important matter and I hope the Government will act before someone is really hurt yet again."

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/mp-...off-seagulls/story-30118376-detail/story.html

Seagulls on the starboard bow!

LASERS should be used to deter “aggressive seagulls” from nesting in urban areas, the Seanad has heard.

That’s according to Fianna Fáil senator Lorraine Clifford-Lee, who today claimed children and older people have been attacked in some of Dublin’s coastal towns.

She told colleagues that seagulls need to be “discouraged” from nesting in urban areas.

Ms Clifford-Lee, who narrowly missed out on a Dáil seat last February, said she is not in favour of extreme measures such as a cull on seagulls.

But she said scientists in the UK have examined the use of lasers to tackle the issue.

“The lasers are harmless screening devices and are not designed to injured the birds,” Ms Clifford Lee said. ...

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...a-to-battle-aggressive-seagulls-35512873.html

A seagull targeting people outside McDonalds in Plymouth has injured a child
By CMJacqui | Posted: March 28, 2017

An aggressive seagull is said to be swooping on shoppers to steal food outside McDonalds, with a seven-year-old boy left injured after its latest terrifying attack.

Thomas West was enjoying a doughnut whilst walking past Tesco in New George Street in Plymouth when the angry bird swooped - followed by four more. The youngster's hand was left covered in blood and he had to be taken to the Cumberland Centre for emergency treatment.

His parents say they have since been contacted by several others claiming one aggressive gull in particular is terrorising innocent pedestrians.

The attack on Thomas is the latest in a string of reports of seagulls - or perhaps a seagull - swooping on shoppers near the McDonald's on New George Street.
The attacks come after a debate in Parliament heard arguments that seagulls should be given contraceptives to stop the increase in numbers of aggressive birds.

Dad Gary West told the Plymouth Herald: "I didn't really know what was going on, I just heard him start to shout. He had blood all over his hand, and his doughnut was on the floor.
"The seagull was still on him when four other gulls then joined in. It was terrifying."

The incident happened at around 3pm on Sunday - and Gary quickly whisked his injured son off to Sainsbury's, where his mum was shopping.
Supermarket first-aiders helped shaken Thomas and he was taken to the minor injuries unit so his bleeding hand could be cleaned up.

Gary added: "I've always dismissed it when people say they've been attacked by seagulls. It sounds ridiculous.
"But they were so vicious. I was so shocked and I'm not too sure what can be done to stop this happening to people in such a busy area."

Other people have since flocked to social media to report being attacked by what they claim is one particularly savage bird.
And others have also told of their brushes with the winged menace in the same spot.

Videographer, Jon Bishop said he was also attacked outside the McDonald's restaurant, where a seagull hit him on the back of the head.

The gulls can be found in seaside places all year around and have proven to be an issue in the Plymouth area for many years.

In St Ives, one particularly aggressive seagull known as w195, has been identified as the ringleader for many of the attacks carried out on unsuspecting tourists to rip pasties and ice creams from their hands.

seagullw195%20%281%29.png

Seagull w195 lands on a man's head in St Ives.

Growing up to 66cm in length and weighing over 1.5kg the birds are one of the largest and nosiest.
However, it seems the seagulls have taken it upon themselves to grab food in residential and commercial areas.

According to the RSPB website, Seagulls are misunderstood by the general public and attack when trying to protect their young. They suggest the way to prevent the urban gulls from causing harm is to 'Prevent Street littering, and make public bins and business waste containers gull-proof'.

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/a-seagu...ured-a-child/story-30232452-detail/story.html

They suggest the way to prevent the urban gulls from causing harm is to 'Prevent Street littering, and make public bins and business waste containers gull-proof'.
Or, grab them by the head and thock 'em once or twice on a hard surface and then chuck them down the road. They learn fast.

Truro's aggressive seagull problem could be solved by this specially trained bird of prey
By WBCaroline | Posted: March 29, 2017
Video: 47s
Watch the moment this Harris hawk ruffles the feather of aggressive gulls that have been besieging Truro.

Seagull chasing Shaka flew into the city to demonstrate how the five-year-old specially reared male bird of prey could help the city fight back against the menacing onslaught by aggressive seagulls.

shakafinal6.png

Falconer Layla Bennett with Shaka

It's been widely documented that the city's seagull will stop at nothing and attacking old and young to get their free foodie fix.
Even the city's dignitaries are not safe from the plucky pests – one swooped down and launched an attack on deputy mayor John Tamblyn as he strolled unsuspectingly through the city while enjoying a bite to eat.

Truro mayor Rob Nolan recently told Cornwall Live he is so worried about the seagull problem spiralling out of control that he was considering fines for those who feed them.

But Shaka – which means a great Zulu warrior- could be considered by Truro City Council as either another option to sort out the problem or to work in addition to the fines.

Falconer Layla Bennett, from pest control firm Rentokil, explained that Shaka has been bred in captivity and "socially reared for this job".
Shaka is part of a team of 39 birds of prey that Rentokil use across the country especially the south coast to "scare away problem colonies of gulls and pigeons."

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/8203-th...ing-the-city/story-30230817-detail/story.html

One problem is the gulls swarm round tips ripping into the plastic
rubbish bags that have been out in the sun stewing up all sorts of
nasty bugs from the rotting contents, so they can be riddled with
some really nasty diseases.

Was told a tail last year by someone that was visiting Asda at Fleetwood
were a cat grabbed a gull by the legs, now a panicked big greater black back
can produce quite a bit of lift and kitty was dragged up to the height of a 4 story
building were it lost interest in the gull and let go, landed on a car roof and legged
it.

I thought a gull stealing a roll of paper towels from my kitchen window sill was bad

Seagull steals false teeth on Devon harbour
By Rich_Booth | Posted: April 24, 2017

• Comments (0)
    Seagulls are known across Devon for an occasional dive bomb or maybe a cheeky chip theft, but now they have taken it to another level.

Pictured today is a gull that has managed to get its beak on someone's false teeth. How the bird got hold of the dentures remains a mystery but social media is full of speculation.

The image was posted to the Spotted Newton Abbot site with the caption: "Someone's false teeth were found on a bench on Torquay Harbour at lunchtime.

"Unfortunately anyone missing them will need to contact the seagull as he flew away with them!"

Read next: You can now get a pasty delivered to your hospital bed

APEX

image: http://www.devonlive.com/images/loc...6269/binaries/APEX_Seagull_false_teeth_02.jpg

APEX_Seagull_false_teeth_02.jpg

Earlier this year a Devon MP said he wanted to see a crackdown on seagulls after one stole his chips.

Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Oliver Colville said in January this year: "It's a big issue in seaside towns where seagulls can be quite invasive.

"Indeed, I was out campaigning on one occasion with a mate of mine when suddenly this seagull decided it was going to take his fish and chips from him.

"I am aware that they are a protected species, but we need to do more."

image: http://www.devonlive.com/images/localworld/ugc-images/276269/binaries/Oliver Colville.jpg

Oliver%20Colville.jpg

Mr Colvile added many constituents in Sutton and Devonport have written to him asking for a solution.

"There are a series of things the council have done in the past," he says.

"They replaced some of the seagulls' eggs with fake eggs.

"I think it's to do with the number of seagulls that are now appearing. It's a very difficult issue, but I want to raise it with the Government to make sure they do what they can.

"One thing we could do is to make sure we build buildings so they are not going to find it easy to nest in there, that kind of thing."

Read more at http://www.devonlive.com/seagull-st...0290180-detail/story.html#4iOK9e08KjLVpxwH.99

http://www.devonlive.com/seagull-st...evon-harbour/story-30290180-detail/story.html

Back