• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
... I'd try a mouthful just so I could say I had ...

Careful, Swifts ... That's the sort of line people won't ever let you forget you'd uttered.
:evillaugh:

Never realised gulls were a training aid for the Olympics before.

The gull now has a little picture of a drone stamped on his side, another four and he becomes an ace.
Seagull brings down drone over Stranraer Academy
Published8 hours ago

A black-headed gull brought down a drone over a school in south west Scotland.
A roof survey was being carried out at Stranraer Academy in July when the attack occurred.
An Air Accidents Investigation Branch report said the pilot had never experienced the "level of aggression" shown by the bird.
It attacked the 6kg (13lb) drone, causing it to crash on the school roof and suffer substantial damage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-54476734

Whew!

Imagine what a Herring gull could bring down?

Not to mention a Greater Blackback

On R4's Today just now there was a report about Bristol University research into the feeding behaviour of gulls. They're 'gulls' now by the way, not necessarily 'seagulls', because they live inland where there is more food for them.

It seems the gulls have learned to associate signals like school bells and traffic patterns with food delivery. They know when to turn up for the best scavenging in playgrounds and council tips. They're not watching for a random meal to arrive: they let us tell them when dinner is ready.

This isn't yet on the BBC site so the only accessible source so far is the D**ly M**l which I will not recommend.
You'll have to take my word for it! :chuckle:

On R4's Today just now there was a report about Bristol University research into the feeding behaviour of gulls. They're 'gulls' now by the way, not necessarily 'seagulls', because they live inland where there is more food for them.

It seems the gulls have learned to associate signals like school bells and traffic patterns with food delivery. They know when to turn up for the best scavenging in playgrounds and council tips. They're not watching for a random meal to arrive: they let us tell them when dinner is ready.

This isn't yet on the BBC site so the only accessible source so far is the D**ly M**l which I will not recommend.
Probably mentioned it before but during the lockdown the saddest sight was a large gull forlornly tapping on the window of a deserted baker's high street shop.

Impressive!! :D

Probably mentioned it before but during the lockdown the saddest sight was a large gull forlornly tapping on the window of a deserted baker's high street shop.

That seagull was me. :(

Reactions: RaM
That seagull was me. :(
CabfVNEUAAQbJ_L.jpg

That's brought me to tears :(
No need- it was just being a lazy little blighter, easy takeaway nosh in normal times, instead of putting some effort in by catching stuff on the beach a 100m away. A nursing home Ms Petes worked in had a resident gull which would go down the side of the building tapping on each resident's patio door for food. If it got nowhere it would wait at the front door until someone went in or out and hop into the large reception area. The "pet" gull which called at my back door for breakfast and tea seems to have found somewhere serving better food.

Pensioner killed seagull with walking stick when it snatched his Greggs

John Nicholson, 68, will have to pay over £1,000 after attacking the bird in revenge at losing his lunch.

He was convicted in his absence of intentionally killing a wild bird at Rhyl last January and disorderly behaviour by being abusive to police.

Nicholson had no previous convictions.

He was fined £180 for each of the two charges and ordered to pay £652 costs.

Last edited:
Here he is, captured on cctv wreaking vengeance on the gull.

1606526702962.png

So we've created another race of idiots that can't fend for themselves?

Botulinum is far from unknown in gulls so it's not wise to get to pally with them,
though I am guilty of handing them the odd morsel

Decisions, decisions. This thread or Fortean Headlines?

'Large gull' swoops off with man's tongue bitten off in street fight

A Scottish man who had his tongue bitten off in a violent street encounter watched as the chunk of flesh was taken by a seagull, a court has heard.

Bethany Ryan, 27, pleaded guilty in court last Thursday over the attack on James McKenzie in Edinburgh on August 1, 2019.
https://www.9news.com.au/world/woma...scotland/b6f78626-e194-4da8-86b7-b90f39ba8278

Decisions, decisions. This thread or Fortean Headlines?

'Large gull' swoops off with man's tongue bitten off in street fight

https://www.9news.com.au/world/woma...scotland/b6f78626-e194-4da8-86b7-b90f39ba8278

Here it is on the website of the highly respectable Edinburgh Evening News (news you can trust since 1873) -

Edinburgh woman bit off man’s tongue in street brawl before seagull swooped down and ate it

“She kissed him on the lips and during the course of that she bit through his tongue which caused a piece of his tongue to be removed.
“Mr McKenzie walked off and spat a part of his tongue out at which point the piece of muscle was picked up by a large seagull that made off with the piece of tongue.”
The fiscal told the court the chunk of tongue bitten off during the struggle was approximately two centimetres by three centimetres in size

That's a huge piece of his tongue gone. About as big as the end of my thumb.

Back