• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
We have nesting Gulls on the flat roof of a building directly behind our back garden. I know they are only protecting their young but they are a pain in the arse when they constantly dive bomb us for attempting to go out into our garden. Trying to hang clothes out to dry on the washing line is no fun when I’m being intimidated by a shitehawk threatening to shank me with its beak and poo all over my clean washing/the car/the house/my head. There is a secondery school next to us and I’ve seen a couple of school kids who did nothing more than walk past being chased down the road by an angry screeching gull. Now I love wildlife. I have a pretty good relationship with the local crow gang, and I consider a robin that lives nearby and who pops round regularly for a snack to be a good friend, but there is no bargaining with a gull. They are having none of it! It’s like living next to the neighbours from hell.
I've got the same problem at my place, the only problem is that my kitchen and study look out to a flat roof and as soon as I go near the window they start screeching and flapping about. Plus they are swooping at the people using the old folks home next door and have chased away all the other birds that use the roof. I'm certain they were responsible for some oystercatcher chicks that went missing.

Seen in St Ives -

St Ives gull sign.jpg

This is as bad as Hitchcock's The Birds!

A symphony of squawks, an aggressive gull trying to peck his way through a Velux window, and a four-year-old child nipped on the face by a rampaging bird were among complaints made to a local authority about the scourge of seagulls.

Dublin City Council received multiple complaints from residents amid controversial calls for a cull of seagulls in the city earlier this year.

However, the local authority told those complaining there was very little that could be done as many of the birds were protected species, and others were migratory and would be gone soon. In one incident, a four-year-old child ended up bleeding after being pecked on the face by a gull in St Stephen’s Green.

An email to the city council said: “She [my daughter] was in the buggy right in front of me at the time with a rice cake in her hand. I just wanted to report it as … it was obviously quite traumatic for us all.”

The parent asked if anything could be done to tackle seagulls “taking over the park” but was told it was a matter for the Office of Public Works who maintain St Stephen’s Green.

In another email to the city council, a homeowner wrote about a “serious problem” with seagulls in the area.

Their email said: “Last Saturday, a seagull tried to enter my home through a Velux window. It absolutely terrified me whilst asleep in bed at 4am. It almost broke the glass and was highly aggressive.”

The complainant said that seagulls continuously nested in the chimney of the house next door, and that putting up spikes had done nothing to deter them.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40702817.html

I have to admit I am getting fed up listening to Irish radio giving out about the seagull population in Ireland. Every week there is some local politician rabbiting on about how we have to cull the seagulls because they are a nuisance. Every single study in Ireland and Britain has shown that the gull populations are crashing as a direct result of Human behavior and these assholes want to reduce them further. I'm sick of it, considering the damage we do to them, the loss of a few chips or the odd nip of a child's finger is a small price to pay to protect them. These will also be the same dic*heads that will be wondering where the gulls have all gone once they have disappeared completely.

I have to admit I am getting fed up listening to Irish radio giving out about the seagull population in Ireland. Every week there is some local politician rabbiting on about how we have to cull the seagulls because they are a nuisance. Every single study in Ireland and Britain has shown that the gull populations are crashing as a direct result of Human behavior and these assholes want to reduce them further. I'm sick of it, considering the damage we do to them, the loss of a few chips or the odd nip of a child's finger is a small price to pay to protect them. These will also be the same dic*heads that will be wondering where the gulls have all gone once they have disappeared completely.

None of that changes the fact that people are being attacked by seagulls, the stories are not made up.

I'm not an asshole because I don't want to be attacked by seagulls. Some measures have to be taken to protect people from these attacks.

I never said the stories were made up and i never said you were an asshole for not wanting to be attacked. If you read my post I said I'm sick of asshole POLITICIANS coming on the radio every week demanding every seagull be removed from the skies of Dublin or Galway or where ever they are looking for a few cheap votes.

I never said the stories were made up and i never said you were an asshole for not wanting to be attacked. If you read my post I said I'm sick of asshole POLITICIANS coming on the radio every week demanding every seagull be removed from the skies of Dublin or Galway or where ever they are looking for a few cheap votes.

The article I posted referred to complaints from ordinary people. You have more sympathy with seagulls then children who are attacked by them. That sort of attitude turns people off conservation efforts. The politicians are just reflecting the complaints they receive. I want to see seagulls removed from urban areas, that needs strict implementation of no feeding and leaving out food refuse laws. But it also means removing nests from urban areas and culls where necessary when attacks are taking place.

Really that's what you got from my post? Well I'm afraid i can't really answer that. If anyone else thinks that i don't care about children getting nipped by seagulls then apologies.
I guessed that everyone would have known that I have sympathy with anyone that has been on the end of an 'attack' or been woken up by them without me having to write an essay of a post to explain every single nuance of my argument.
Safe to say, my point if its still not clear enough, is that I'm sick of the politicians first (and nearly always only) solution is to cull the birds. No talk of protecting the habitat, or stopping over fishing, or cleaning up our litter. Its always kill the seagulls and have done with it.

Really that's what you got from my post? Well I'm afraid i can't really answer that. If anyone else thinks that i don't care about children getting nipped by seagulls then apologies.
I guessed that everyone would have known that I have sympathy with anyone that has been on the end of an 'attack' or been woken up by them without me having to write an essay of a post to explain every single nuance of my argument.
Safe to say, my point if its still not clear enough, is that I'm sick of the politicians first (and nearly always only) solution is to cull the birds. No talk of protecting the habitat, or stopping over fishing, or cleaning up our litter. Its always kill the seagulls and have done with it.

This is what you wrote:

the odd nip of a child's finger is a small price to pay to protect them

FFS I give up, just believe what you want to believe I meant and ignore the rest of the posts. I'm off home to tie chips to my 2 and half year old's fingers and sacrifice them to the seagulls......:headbang:

FFS I give up, just believe what you want to believe I meant and ignore the rest of the posts. I'm off home to tie chips to my 2 and half year old's fingers and sacrifice them to the seagulls......:headbang:

But it's what you wrote.

the odd nip of a child's finger is a small price to pay to protect them

You then tried to deny it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you fed finger food to seagulls.

You picked one part of my post and wrapped your own narrative around it. That's your problem not mine. Just because i wrote that what makes you suddenly think that that means i don't give a sh1t about peoples complaints about seagulls. I said it was 'a small price to pay' not that i don't give a flying fu*k about kids fingers. What about the rest (in fact the fucking main part of my post), why is it always culls with these people.

You picked one part of my post and wrapped your own narrative around it. That's your problem not mine. Just because i wrote that what makes you suddenly think that that means i don't give a sh1t about peoples complaints about seagulls. I said it was 'a small price to pay' not that i don't give a flying fu*k about kids fingers. What about the rest (in fact the fucking main part of my post), why is it always culls with these people.
We used to hear about kids eating fish fingers. Now it seems it's all about Gulls munching on kids fingers.

Captain Birdseye doesn't have any trouble.

You obviously care more for seagulls. Saying it's a small price to pay suggests imho that you don't give a flying fuck about people attacked by seagulls. You come across as one of those misanthropic environmentalists who would rather see humans suffer than have any action taken against predatory creatures.

I dealt with the rest of your post, I said that feeding of seagulls had to to be stopped through strict laws, only then did I mention culling, urban areas are not a natural environment for seagulls.

People just have to scroll back to see what you really wrote. It doesn't go away you know.

And as i said that if me saying 'its a small price to pay' makes you think that i'm a misanthropic environmentalist who doesn't give a flying fuck about people that is your problem. You don't even know me but you make that huge leap about me and my views.
I'm not replying to this anymore because I went home in a bad mood last night because of it and its not in a great place again this morning because of it.
I really don't usually get wound up by posts and i don't think you are doing it on purpose but i have enough shit going on in my life at the moment that messes with my mental health, without adding the thought of whether your deliberately misrepresenting what i said or if you genuinely believe it.

For the Last time 'a small price to pay' is not me saying that that i do not care about peoples complaints about sea gulls ok.

And as i said that if me saying 'its a small price to pay' makes you think that i'm a misanthropic environmentalist who doesn't give a flying fuck about people that is your problem. You don't even know me but you make that huge leap about me and my views.
I'm not replying to this anymore because I went home in a bad mood last night because of it and its not in a great place again this morning because of it.
I really don't usually get wound up by posts and i don't think you are doing it on purpose but i have enough shit going on in my life at the moment that messes with my mental health, without adding the thought of whether your deliberately misrepresenting what i said or if you genuinely believe it.

For the Last time 'a small price to pay' is not me saying that that i do not care about peoples complaints about sea gulls ok.

I also have enough shit in my life , affecting my mental health, without having to deal with this.

I didn't intend to misrepresent anything, in your original small price to pay comment, you made no qualification of it. Only in later posts did you do so. You called politicians assholes because they responded to peoples complaints.

This is having a bad effect on both of us but you did write stuff that's there for all to see.

I don't think you're some modern day Molochite who wants to sacrifice children to your Seagull God, nor am I someone who wants to willy-nilly cull animals (I'd even rather cull farmers before badgers).

Last edited:
Seagulls don't like being surveyed.

Surveyors commissioned to conduct research as part of the National Urban Gull Survey for 2021 were frequently swooped upon by the agitated seagulls, even when they were as far as 20 metres from a nest.

The report, published by the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS), said that the regular presence of humans close to where the seagulls nest has likely “driven aggressive behaviour”.

The issue of aggressive gulls has been particularly acute in some parts of the country in recent years, including Dublin and southern counties. This technical report is the first ever national survey for urban nesting gulls undertaken in Ireland, and was commissioned and funded by the NPWS. The survey focused on mainly urban areas, such as Dublin, Cork, Waterford, Limerick and Galway. It was done through mainly ground-based methods rather than using the likes of drones.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40760301.html

This was on R4 just now. One woman interviewed won't leave her house without carrying a broom to beat off aggressive seagulls and newspaper deliveries have ceased as the kids are too scared of being pecked as they ride along.

Residents of the seaside town of Monkseaton have become terrified of leaving their homes following a series of attacks by seagulls.

'In scenes which they say are reminiscent of The Birds, the Alfred Hitchcock film, the seagulls have knocked a woman to the ground and left a man with neck wounds.

Residents in the North Tyneside town, are afraid to take their dogs for walks or let their children out to play.

The seagulls have been a problem for years, but the council has been unable to take action because they are protected by law. This year the attacks have got worse.

One resident, Catherine Rogan, refused to go into her backyard after it was taken over by seagulls. "I went out there last week and two went for me," she said. "They forced me on to the floor. It's hard to believe, but we really are prisoners in our own homes."

Another villager, Kelly Hewison, said: "The seagulls are very scary. Taking the dog for a walk is a nightmare because as soon as they see a dog they go mad, and you can get up to half a dozen of them taking it in turns to have a go."

The gulls have been nesting in residents' chimneys and are very protective of their young. It is believed that more attacks occur during the summer breeding season.'
I was on holiday in a seaside resort in Golden sands, Bulgaria. About twenty or so people were sitting on the balcony having breakfast when we were "attacked" by gulls. Some tried to beat the gulls back but all of us lost our breakfast to the gulls that day.

If the gulls wanted something, they took it. It made no difference who tried to stop them.

Back