• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Attacks On Art / Artworks

:rofl:

maximus otter
Brilliant job!
I was talking to a chap last week who I used to work with years ago. Previously he'd driven coaches abroad. He said one day there'd been a bad smash on the Paris ring road and a guy was lay there dead. They just dragged him out of the way and opened the road. Here it would have been closed for at least five hours.

Channel 4 is due to broadcast a show shortly in which host Jimmy Carr can choose to destroy or spare works of art from “problematic” artists.
To provide the props behind the concept, the channel has purchased original artwork by Hitler, Pablo Picasso, Rolf Harris and Eric Gill.

The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust criticises the show for “making Hitler a topic of light entertainment”. “The question of how far art can be linked to its creators is an important one, but this programme is simply a stunt for shock value, and cannot excuse the trivialisation of the horrors of Nazism,” said the organisation’s chief executive, Olivia Marks-Woldman.

What do you think?
Sounds a rather crass idea for a TV show to me.

carr.png

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...my-carr-destroy-works-hitler-picasso-backlash

Channel 4 is due to broadcast a show shortly in which host Jimmy Carr can choose to destroy or spare works of art from “problematic” artists.
To provide the props behind the concept, the channel has purchased original artwork by Hitler, Pablo Picasso, Rolf Harris and Eric Gill. ...
What do you think?
Sounds a rather crass idea for a TV show to me. ...

Several lines of thought - all cynical and negative toward the program's concept - occur to me ...

(1) Most generally ... The concept of allowing a comedian to decide whether a unique cultural / historical artifact should be destroyed for the sake of cheap laughs or provoking other responses from an audience that quite likely has little appreciation of, or concern for, either culture or history provides a clue to how low western civilization has devolved.

(2) To be fair, I'd concede a possible difference to be drawn between casually judgmental destruction of unique artworks versus symbolic destruction of one among many mass-produced specimens of the accused's work. Destroying a non-unique creative work (e.g., burning a copy of a book; shredding a single mass-marketed art print) is one thing; destroying a unique specimen is quite another (at least in terms of permanently reducing the culture's inventory).

(3) I'd say it would be interesting to allow Carr to undertake a trial run of the show's concept, using sacred artworks from multiple religions and / or monuments (etc.) honoring various nations, regimes, or movements. This would be a test to see if Carr and whoever else is behind the project would be willing to pull the same stunts under risk of actual consequences.

I've never understood how burning a flag or knocking down a statue for example achieves much, apart for people who simply like to vandalise things. But to destroy a work of art just because you don't like the person who painted it is ridiculous.

If it were acceptable to destroy something just because you don't like it or agree with what it stands for, I would have smashed my neighbours stereo a long time ago because I hate the type of music he plays.

I stopped watching comedians/stand up a long time ago as sooner or later they appear everywhere and this sounds like just another waste of air-time.

What do you think?
The Holocaust Memorial Day Trust criticises the show for “making Hitler a topic of light entertainment”.
What on earth did they have to say about Mel Brooks film 'The Producers' then?

.....destroying a unique specimen is quite another (at least in terms of permanently reducing the culture's inventory).
...and would make other items by the same artist more valuable due to their increased rarity.

If it were acceptable to destroy something just because you don't like it or agree with what it stands for, I would have smashed my neighbours stereo a long time ago because I hate the type of music he plays.
Sorry @Floyd1, I'll turn it down a bit.
I never knew you didn't like "The Marching Bagpipes, Banjo, and Accordian band of Wrexham" mate.

What on earth did they have to say about Mel Brooks film 'The Producers' then?

"According to Mel Brooks, "Jewish organizations at the beginning were outraged. They didn't get the joke." Within a few months of the movie's release, Brooks received angry letters from, in his estimation, "every Rabbi in New York." He took these very seriously. "I wrote a reply to every single letter I got, explaining 'You can't get on a soap box with Hitler. You've got to ridicule him.'"

I'd say it would be interesting to allow Carr to undertake a trial run of the show's concept, using sacred artworks from multiple religions and / or monuments (etc.) honoring various nations, regimes, or movements. This would be a test to see if Carr and whoever else is behind the project would be willing to pull the same stunts under risk of actual consequences.

:rofl:

maximus otter

Back