Australian Aboriginals: Origins, Arrival & Culture

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Bunyip is a whitefella designation of an essentially animist concept inside Indigenous cosmology. Whitefellas don't accommodate a spiritual mode of existence outside some bookbound flatland of the imaginal. The spirits that inhabit water sources coexist absolutely with the physical mundane but are not part of the same liminal sphere of existence. The bunyip is a dwelling spirit of place, not a physical objective phenomenon, although it can make manifest physical consequences.

The idea that Indigenous people drew their concept of this spirit from bones in the landscape and oral lore pertaining to megafauna can only come from a whitefella worldview. ie whitefellas do not understand bunyip in its proper cultural context, for if they did they would not make this error of designation.

Mungoman could probably say it more succinctly. Oh wait; he did. Anyway, that's my thoughts as best I can manage in this ridiculously limited language.

To get a clearer idea, read up on the Tjukurrpa. I like this effort at classification, so far, from a recentish journal paper.
"... a highly ramified and multi-faceted concept, albeit one with great internal coherence. "
Source: https://openresearch-repository.anu...8997/2/01_Goddard_What_does_Jukurrpa_2015.pdf

Note: Tjukurrpa is not the same thing as the English word dreaming. That is a poor metaphor first presented in 1953 as a carrier for the fairly limited understanding of one whitefella academic. Its longevity is testament to how little progress has been made in the past 66 years and to how ill-prepared European languages are to accommodate this ancient and very Asian cosmology.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Bunyip is a whitefella designation of an essentially animist concept inside Indigenous cosmology. Whitefellas don't accommodate a spiritual mode of existence outside some bookbound flatland of the imaginal. The spirits that inhabit water sources coexist absolutely with the physical mundane but are not part of the same liminal sphere of existence. The bunyip is a dwelling spirit of place, not a physical objective phenomenon, although it can make manifest physical consequences.

The idea that Indigenous people drew their concept of this spirit from bones in the landscape and oral lore pertaining to megafauna can only come from a whitefella worldview. ie whitefellas do not understand bunyip in its proper cultural context, for if they did they would not make this error of designation.

Mungoman could probably say it more succinctly. Oh wait; he did. Anyway, that's my thoughts as best I can manage in this ridiculously limited language.

To get a clearer idea, read up on the Tjukurrpa. I like this effort at classification, so far, from a recentish journal paper.
"... a highly ramified and multi-faceted concept, albeit one with great internal coherence. "
Source: https://openresearch-repository.anu...8997/2/01_Goddard_What_does_Jukurrpa_2015.pdf

Note: Tjukurrpa is not the same thing as the English word dreaming. That is a poor metaphor first presented in 1953 as a carrier for the fairly limited understanding of one whitefella academic. Its longevity is testament to how little progress has been made in the past 66 years and to how ill-prepared European languages are to accommodate this ancient and very Asian cosmology.

Many thanks Skinny. Your Eloquence does you proud mate.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
https://australia.icomos.org/publications/charters/

I think the Burra charter to be a very helpful document in cultural heritage, given as it incldes the landscape as well as man made things...and how they interact.
I did a bit of work on the Great Southern Road (Sydney to Melbourne) Kondoru, and the Charter was never very far away.

Guidance concerning the Road, plus the Fabric of the road was imperative - I would say that we left alone 99.9% of it - mainly for it's historic value. Just short of Goulburn, a convict stockade had been built so quite a few musket balls were found - plus there was worked sandstone on the culverts...beautiful, absolutely beautiful, and all tucked out of the way so in pretty good shape still

Yeah, I know...200 years history isn't much, is it, but it's all we gubbas have got.