• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Australian Aboriginals: Origins, Arrival & Culture

This is Clinton Pryor. He has been walking for 5 months from Perth to Canberra to sit down and talk directly to the politicians about the plight of his people and the impact their uninformed and unjust laws are having on the communities in WA and across the country.

I've followed him since Mutitjulu. He's about to make Adelaide. I will try to meet him if I can find out where he'll be.

His blog covers the trek so far. This is is the most recent page, but he is well south of Port Augusta now.

Days 200 & 201: Port Augusta – Officially!
Day 200: 12.30pm

17634332_1956935971196256_6998450066718725020_n-1.jpg
They say when you doing a big walk it call walkabout. There meaning to why people do a walkabout is in our culture the day or a time in life that when think are hard in your life or think are hard in life for your people something need to be done to make it right and save the people.

The spirit of the land and our old people come down from the sky an land to seek someone to lead the way of a new began for his people and culture. When I walk this great land, when I talk with elders in the desert community they told me your dreaming and old people visit you when you was on the island sitting around the spirit fire and the dreaming spirit told you to get up and go on a journey across this great land to find the truth and find a new way.

(I say yes to the elders, when I was setting around the spirit fire on the island and look into the fire, thinking how can I help my people, how can we save our culture my old people please show me the way of making a change in this time of age. So I sat there thinking steering at the spirit fire thinking and thinking than a visions was showing in the mind and in the spirit fire. It show me walking across this country, a new way of something new that I did not know why it was showing. That when i realise to my self to chance it and make it happen or just let it pass by, I made the choose to chance it and than on would I started to tell everyone that i’m going to walk across this great land to make a stand for everyone I told the elders in desert community)

They told me that you and those who are with you have been choose for reason. But they choose you, this why your here today walking now. Your doing a big walk about not just for the people but to find your self to. Your not just know as Clinton Pryor put also know as a spirit walker, i said a spirit walk the elders said yes your a spirit walker who out to find the truth and to save the people in this hard time right now.

That when i realise why i when on this walk I’m a spirit walker, but i hope not to be the last spirit walker. A spirit walker who follow the song line that been walk on since traditional time.

Day 200: 7.30pm

17553988_1957092597847260_3216701360554266694_n.jpg
When I walk this great land, when I talk with elders in the desert community they told me your dreaming and old people visit you when i was on the island sitting around the spirit fire and the dreaming spirit told you to get up and go on a journey across this great land to find the truth and find a new way.

Day 201: 8am

17498470_1871829639739770_6469516040721047687_n.jpg
Good morning, it reads 8 degree, it feels like 8, the last two morning my feet and hands have been cold, not a cloud in the sky today at the moment, good sun rise, magpies singing and a trail from a plane that shows up quit well with the sun shining under it. Starting to feel the warm sun now. I quit enjoy the warmth of the sun on a cool morning, the sounds of the birds singing around me, I guess they are welcoming the sun as well. It is a good start to the day. – Noonie

17626253_1871829526406448_4585430736422033279_n-300x225.jpg

Day 201: 11.30am

17498564_1871910829731651_6712279924552131620_n.jpg
The drop off point heading in, the range on our left some hills to our right, good landscape still on the way to Canberra. – Noonie

Day 201: 2pm

16707300_1957499781139875_6753327838477705753_o.jpg
Just setting here enjoying the last bit of desert landscape. It been 4 month we walk this desert land scape thought summer and I’m going to miss it because after Port Augusta on would we going start seeing the land changing again where there going to be more tree, more water, more civilization and less wild life. But now it time we make our way towards our first big city after 5 month of walking.

Day 201: 3.30pm

17632385_1957531204470066_1075270019573202397_o-1-e1491181260349.jpg
Finely the walk has made it into Port Augusta yyyyeeeee
1f642.png
We be leaving Port Augusta tomorrow from the foreshore at 9:00am. It well take us two days walk to get to the next town. People are welcome to join us tomorrow if you like to say fair well or do a bit of walking with me. Adelaide mob the walk for justice is on it way. I be going live tonight to give everyone a update cheer
1f642.png

Day 201: 7pm

17553711_1872077779714956_6380716223586797_n.jpg
Lots to see along this stretch of the road to lunch. – Noonie

Day 201: 7.30pm

17424771_1872084196380981_7382750278409695919_n.jpg
Port Augusta – Noonie
Following up on my post from a couple of weeks ago with a Youtube video story from NIOTV about Clinton and his journey. He's in my town tomorrow. I'm hoping to catch him at some stage of the day.

Last edited:
Recent post from Clinton, who is deep inside Victoria now.
A lot of Indigenous people continue to live 'sorry times' here in sunny Oz. A reminder to the wealthy that homeless folk are not the enemy. This one is personal to the writer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Days 249 – 251: Maryborough
by Clintonswalkforjustice
Day 249: 2.30pm

Hello there I just want to ask if you got a spare moment to have a read of this.

My name is Clinton Pryor and I’m just writing a story about this man you see in the photo below. So please if you go some time to have a read. Please I would love for to have a read. Some of you may know him and other’s may not know him. But to me he is my uncle and his name is Uncle Anthony Spratt from Perth Western Australia. Uncle Anthony Spratt was a Homeless man who lives around Perth, Travel up north to Darwin where he live homeless up there with long Grass people and travel to Alice springs Centre Australia. Where he when thought the aboriginal Lore to become a lore man. Before returning back to Perth where he had his last day living on the street has a homeless man.

Before he passed on I would like people to know who he was, what he did and who he helped. So please keep reading, he was a great man and I would like you to know who he was, how he help so many homeless people around Perth and how he was a homeless man himself who fought against the government with other homeless people, family and friends where he live in Perth. I what people to know this man story and I think good people in this world need they story to be told.

-xkf4eoc-G4TqiWGQhrywAgiv8ofQQzp55vzL7fQzjKC8ersKlToH7UkKkMnNveLAnrwBOya0Yt4yxa90QpHNLx19H100xqKJekf6vdxLDROo2FFIOjDILDtGvcGBfZRnsmVTRRl-YsomeNOya40tF-kzs2cnB7Ey-VnX4ifcwbQB6ebz9Q3V-c5=s0-d-e1-ft

So please continue reading….

When he returned back to Perth he was still a homeless man in a way by going around traveling to family, friends and people he know to stay one night at the place to keep himself warm at night or get something to eat for himself and also living on the street as well with other homeless people. When he was living on the street of Perth. He used to play a guitar or busk on every corner so he can make some money for himself. When he uses to busk on the street and sing along he always had other homeless people with him. What he made from busking he use to share his money with other homeless people so they had something to eat at night. He never was a Greedy man like you see this billion air or people who have a job and a home. He was a good man in a way of having none thing but share wants he had from just singing on the street of Perth and want he made he share with other.

He cares for other in a way by helping because they had none thing like he had. He was a man who cares. If a man who was homeless that cares for other. Than why people who have it all don’t care and only care for what they have. I myself just don’t understand how this world work all well back to the story. When I first when to matagarup Heirissson Island to make a stand for closer of aboriginal community in Western Australia. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into or want I was doing but when I got to Heirisson the first to people who came up to me when I first set foot on Heirisson Island was Uncle Herbert Kenneth Bropho and Uncle Anthony Spratt. The two was just setting around the fire recording video and explaining to the camera why they was on heirisson island and why they set up camp with other more or less family to make a stand. I wait for them two to finish talking to the camera.

After they finish taking to the camera. They both call me over and I introduce myself to them both and I didn’t’ know I was safe because they was family on my mother side. In the time I was on heirisson island. I got to know uncle Anthony Spratt more and want tip of man he was. When homeless people started to came on to heirisson island when the time of closer of community and that the government was force aboriginal people out of the community. Uncle Anthony Spratt was helping out aboriginal people who lost their community and people who was homeless on the island with us in away by singing his song around the fire and also telling story about the dream time. He was doing that because he was showing the homeless on matagarup not to be afraid of the government but stand up for want you believing in even if you have lose ever thing.

Every time there was a March or rally for the forced closure of community or any other rally for aboriginal people. He was right there and ready to go and march with other. Also stand with thousands of people at parliament house and make a stand for want right. When I organise a rally for the homeless one day in forest chase in Perth. He was there and standing with other people who was homeless just likes himself. He stood his ground and March with me and other people to ask the government to start help homeless people. Before the March begin at Forrest chase. I have asked the homeless to speak out to the public and tell them why they are homeless.

When I see him there at the rally. I ask him to speak out about why he was homeless and how it was very important for the government and the public to understand why people are homeless. He speaks out very proud because he wanted people to know his story why he was homeless. When the march began he stay behind because he was getting old and he couldn’t keep up when we marched to parliament house for the homeless with family, friends and support. The rally for the homeless was his last rally and we didn’t’ know if it was the last time he was going to do something right and speak at a rally for the last time.

The next day at night after rally Uncle Anthony Spratt pass away on the street as a homeless man. But before he passes away he was giving a key to a house for the first time in over 20 years on the same day before he passes on. But he didn’t get the chance to have a home for his self because he didn’t’ know that it was his last day on earth on that day. When we had his funereal there was a lot of homeless people can to his funeral. We ask for all the homeless people to carry his coffin and have the honour to lay him to rest. He was amazing man that did want he can for the homeless.

Uncle Anthony Spratt to me is a hero and inspired uncle I know who did all this thing thought in his life and how he help some many people out.. The family, friend, support and homeless remember uncle as a hero for want he have done .This why I write this story about uncle so that people can understand want person he was and want he did in his life has a homeless man.

WARNING: Image of the deceased

To this day a lot of public and the government have being judge homeless people in a lot way like they do drug, they alcoholics and other things. But people don't know anything about homeless person an less you know them. Never judge a homeless man a less you know them because they mute be on of the best people in the world that God giving us. So please share this story we want people to know him want person is was.

From Clinton Pryor.

He never was a Greedy man like you see this billion air or people who have a job and a home.

So now people with jobs and homes are just as greedy as imaginary rich people. :eek:

Ian Ross Vayro in his book Strange and Mysterious Anomalies, tells of pygmies, apparently no longer there. His book had two photos of them; one, allegedly taken in the 1890's. The other is dated in 1936.

The existence of the pygmies is strongly doubted by many.

Yes. What's the story behind them? Just a few details, please.

Where's there?
Good question. Sorry; I should have mentioned in the first post.

The pygmies allegedly lived in the Atherton rainforest in northern Queensland on the Cape York Peninsula. The information comes to me from Vayro's book. I was surprised to learn of them as I had never heard of them before. The book, Strange & Mysterious Anomalies, is largely concerned with Australian mysteries and Fortean happenings, and I recall that I special-ordered it from a dealer in QL if memory serves. What piqued my interest in his book was that Vayro had some information on Burrungu, a lost city, supposedly in the NT.

Even though I disagree with some of what Vayro says, I still enjoyed the book and it is a valuable addition to my Fortean library.

I read somewhere, some time ago (30-40 years ago), that there were also Australian aboriginal pygmies in the southern region of Western Australia.

Keith Windschuttle should not be considered an academic. His theories are entirely speculative without a shred of substance, merely serving his ethnic biases and prejudices. Application of even a modicum of critical thought to his 'work' opens it up to ridicule. He's about as much credibility as David Irving does in Australia.

There are remnants of earlier cultures whose lore and history is lost. No denying it. But it is currently assumed, and I use the word advisedly, that those were ancestor cultures to those that existed at the time of European invasion. There's no evidence at all to suggest otherwise.

The mystery is fabulous for the imagination, even dreams of ancient space aliens related to von Daniken's speculations and the chariots of the gods theories. The Wandjina figures of NW Australia have been claimed by fantasists as evidence of interplanetary visitors.

Sorry to put such an emphasis on the shaky basis of the claims in that link, gerhard. None of those are the prevailing views of academia in Australia.

FWIW, here is the currently prevailing academic view of the existence of the pygmies

http://theconversation.com/who-we-should-recognise-as-first-australians-in-the-constitution-38714

Opinions and arseholes.

I've studied in these hallowed halls of New England University, and this attitude doesn't surprise me. The insistence by Leyonhjelm on what's what when it comes to Aboriginality needs to be discounted due to his predilection for views best retained in the 1940's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Leyonhjelm

I thought that, genetically speaking, the term Pygmy should only be applied to certain central African populations.
Elsewhere, where populations of diminuative humans have been found, it is likely to be an evolutionary response over many generations to a paucity of food supplies and possibly inbreeding amongst isolated communities.

Agreed. It is possible that evolutionary divergence towards diminutive populations like those on Flores could have occurred even within continental Australia given the vastness of the landscape and possible long term isolation of new arrivals from time to time, but nothing I know of in lore or research indicates this, even in Tasmania or other island communities like Kangaroo or Fraser Island. I think it highly unlikely given that every part of the mainland was inhabited at least seasonally or biannually, with clan responsibilities bringing the elders back to country to revive the country. They'd have been aware of or in contact with any isolated clans.

On the other hand, perhaps some form of enforced corralling or exile could account for it, but it would have to have been several generations of such isolation for this to have caused such significant genetic alteration. The only reason I concede the possibility is the length of habitation - ie 50,000 years or more. Within that scope a lot is possible.

When I was on a tour in Western Australia the guide at the Valley of the giants( big trees)said the local indigenous people wouldn't camp there overnight for fear of little people.
Coming out of Esperence I was sure I saw one standing among the trees.
At Monkey Mia the indigenous guide there said they live underground and he sees them when he's camping out at night but doesn't bother them and they don't bother him.

We had been walking around looking at wildflowers and were on the tour bus going to the next stop.
There was an area to the right side of the bus with a small lake with ducks and to the left of that was a stand of gum trees leading into general bush.
What caught my attention was something much darker than the bases of the gum trees. It was a small figure standing looking at the water. It looked like it was holding a spear.
I was so surprised that I didn't say anything until the bus had gone past, then I told my daughter.

Keith Windschuttle should not be considered an academic. His theories are entirely speculative without a shred of substance, merely serving his ethnic biases and prejudices. Application of even a modicum of critical thought to his 'work' opens it up to ridicule. He's about as much credibility as David Irving does in Australia.

There are remnants of earlier cultures whose lore and history is lost. No denying it. But it is currently assumed, and I use the word advisedly, that those were ancestor cultures to those that existed at the time of European invasion. There's no evidence at all to suggest otherwise.

The mystery is fabulous for the imagination, even dreams of ancient space aliens related to von Daniken's speculations and the chariots of the gods theories. The Wandjina figures of NW Australia have been claimed by fantasists as evidence of interplanetary visitors.

Sorry to put such an emphasis on the shaky basis of the claims in that link, gerhard. None of those are the prevailing views of academia in Australia.
Not a problem. I just put the link there for whatever it was worth.

Found a really long article by Bill Chalker on this blog. The website features content on a range of Fortean phenomena occurring within or in connection to Aboriginal culture and Australian landscapes.

This one will hook you so save it up for when you have a good half hour to get through it.
UFOs and the Australian Aborigines
Contents:
  • PREHISTORY
  • ANCIENT TRACES?
  • "MEN OF HIGH DEGREE"
  • A BURNING TALE?
  • AN "ET" ELF IN A MANDURAH HUMPY?
  • AN ABORIGINAL WOMAN'S ABDUCTION EXPERIENCE IN 1933!
  • TALES OF "FEATHER FOOT" AND PHANTOM PREGNANCIES
  • CONTEMPORARY ABORIGINAL UFO STORIES
  • QUESTIONS OF PERSPECTIVE
  • AN ABORIGINAL IS LEVITATED THROUGH A CLOSED WINDOW DURING A UFO FLAP IN 1971
  • AN "EARTH LIGHT INFESTATION" ON A REMOTE ABORIGINAL SETTLEMENT IN NORTHERN AUSTRALIA
  • AN ABORIGINAL "ABDUCTEE" SPEAKS OUT
  • References

http://strangenationaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/ufos-and-australian-aborigines.html

Linked in here to make a more serious point away from the broader more flippant Visit Australia thread.

Big-Red-Article1.jpg

I totally get how the Aborigines could maintain a spiritual connection, a walking link to malevolent spirits and old people/ancestors. That image could represent the kind of vision/dream that inspired the Warlpiri kangaroo dreaming ceremony of their old system of belief. The ceremonial masks and images frighten the shit out of the Christians who ascribe them to demonic practices, and so they bully the traditional people out of their ancient traditions and beliefs and towards the living light and the pure walk of Jesus Christ. Hard yacka for anyone trying to maintain the culture out there. Two worlds in constant collision, with the wreckage of that crash almost always all that's left for the new generation to salvage something, anything from. Sorry business.

I treasure these old images and videos, not because they have any sacred significance to my family, but because the secret sacred knowledge is intimated and has now been lost to all regions bar a possible few hidden places either in plain sight or else way out beyond the reach of the gun brutes.

WARNING: Video contains images of indigenous people who are deceased.

Just located the old Millenium series by David Maybury-Lewis. In this episode, he focuses in on the Luritjari of NW Australia, and two men - one a local indigenous elder, and the other a European ring-in - explain the notion of the Dreaming, how it works, how it lives for traditional Aboriginal people. Go to 36:00 for the host's introduction to how tribal peoples understand universal connectivity. The Australian sample begins after about 5 minutes of explanatory speech by himself, which is well worth listening to. Indeed, the entire series is worth viewing.

WARNING: Video contains images of indigenous people who are deceased.

This new article in Smithsonian magazine describes the return in November 2017 of the remains of Mungo Man (Lake Mungo 3) to the land where he was discovered, and it provides a broader review of the interactions (and sometimes conflicts) between Aboriginal and modern cultures in Australia.

A 42,000-YEAR-OLD MAN FINALLY GOES HOME

It was one of the more cinematic funeral caravans in recent memory. In November 2017, a black vintage hearse trundled across the verdant Australian sheep country west of Sydney toward the shimmering deserts of the outback. Laid out inside was a beautiful rough-hewn casket crafted from 8,000-year-old fossilized wood. A convoy of Aboriginal elders and activists followed close behind. At every stop on the way—in sonorously named bush towns like Wagga Wagga, Narrandera and Gundagai—the vehicle was met by jubilant crowds. In Hay, two Aboriginal men escorted the hearse into a park, where an honor guard of teenage boys carried the coffin to an ancient purification ceremony that involved cleansing it with smoking eucalyptus leaves. The rite was accompanied by traditional songs to didgeridoo music, dancing men in body paint and a slightly more contemporary Aussie “sausage sizzle.” After dark, a security guard stood vigil over the vehicle and its contents.

At last, on the third morning of the 500-mile trek, the hearse turned alone onto an unpaved desert highway toward the eerie shores of Lake Mungo, which despite its name has been a dry moonscape for the past 16,000 years. There, a crowd of several hundred people, including Australian government officials, archaeologists and representatives of Aboriginal groups from across the continent, fell into a reverent silence when they spotted the ghostly vehicle on the horizon kicking up orange dust. ...

The hearse was bearing the remains of an individual who died in this isolated spot over 40,000 years ago—one of the oldest Homo sapiens ever found outside Africa. His discovery in 1974 reshaped the saga of the Australian continent and our entire view of prehistoric world migration. The skeleton of Mungo Man, as he is known, was so well preserved that scientists could establish he was about 50 years of age, with his right elbow arthritic from throwing a spear all his life and his teeth worn, possibly from stripping reeds for twine.

Now he was returning home in a hearse whose license plate read, with typical Aussie humor, MUNGO1. He would be cared for by his descendants, the Ngiyampaa, Mutthi Mutthi and Paakantyi people, often referred to as the 3TTGs (Traditional Tribal Groups). ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/mungo-man-finally-goes-home-180972835/

Back