• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Australian UFO Sightings (General; Miscellaneous)

sunsplash1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This thread has been established to consolidate miscellaneous UFO reports and commentary specifically relating to Australia.
The following independent threads contain substantive content on specific incidents:

Fred Birmingham's Vision (Airship Sighting / Contact?; Australia; 1868)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...irship-sighting-contact-australia-1868.67694/

Burkes Flat / 'Bent Headlight Beams' Case (1966; Australia)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nt-headlight-beams-case-1966-australia.67196/

Egg-Like UFOs in Australia (Late 1940s)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/egg-like-ufos-in-australia-late-1940s.60609/

Westall / Clayton South Incident (1966; Australia)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/westall-clayton-south-incident-1966-australia.65893/

Frederick Valentich Disappearance (Australia; 1978)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...valentich-disappearance-australia-1978.65302/
=======================

No I haven't gone bonkers... Just asking if any of the astute people on this board have heard of anything remotely like ' Skateboard shaped UFO's' being reported.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
No. That's a new one on me.

But there is a multitude of bizarre shapes seen as UFOs.

Wasn't there one seen a couple of times near Loch Ness in the 70s that was shaped a bit like an iron (as in what you iron your clothes with)?

Edit: Just googled that and found an FSR investigation in which it was shown to be a hoax, so forget it!
Details here.

Could they be the ones often refered to as cigar shaped?

Similar shape, a end tapered elongated thingy majig

There's a page here that you could argue shows some things vaguely skateboard shaped. The implication is that at least some of the reports could be solar balloons.

But then again??

Thanyou Peeps!
:)

FSR report isn't the one recently reported:-

- SSO seen repeatedly off southern metropolitan beaches (of Adelaide,apparently). A repeat performance...-

The whole idea of seeing something skateboard-shaped appeals to me...

Southern beaches of Adelaide (O'Sullivans/ Maslins/) seem to be a feature. Never seen anything odd there, although Maslins is a nude area...

http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/ufo- ... bridgetown

UFO photographed over Bridgetown
Mon 30 Apr 2012
By Gerry Georgatos
Global/InternationalPerthAustraliaWestern AustraliaUFO sightingPerthGerry Georgatos
In recent times the Blackwood region has become a hotspot for UFO sightings and recently a Bridgetown resident photographed a UFO in Bridgetown's sky.

77 year old Robert Meldrum lives on one of the highest vantages of Bridgetown, near the well-known Bridgetown Lookout, and his front verandah is a pilgramage to one of the great views of the valley town. He and his wife retired to Bridgetown ten years ago. Mr Meldrum is an avid photographer who on the afternoon of Sunday April 22 was shooting photographs of cloud formations from his front verandah.

"It was about 5pm on the Sunday, and light and dark were in play. I was trying to photograph a rainbow after having been intrigued by the cloud formations," said Mr Meldrum.

"I didn't see the UFO while I was on the verandah however later when looking at the photos I noticed something in the top right hand corner of one of the photos and then did a close-up."

"It looked rocket-like, however it was not a plane, not any design I've seen, it was nothing that made sense, so it qualifies for an unidentified flying object, a UFO," he said.

"I was chasing rainbows and instead I found a UFO."

Mr Meldrum worked in mining - mineral exploration, and seasoned as a fly-in fly-out he has "many peculiar geophysical experiences of the unexplained."

"After a life of flying all over the north there have been many things seen high in the atmosphere that we can't explain, so I keep an open mind. I'm not saying I've seen flying saucers however many of us have seen what we yet can't explain."

The Donnybrook-Bridgetown Mail has forwarded a copy of the photograph to the Australian Space Academy, to NASA and to the Weather Bureau.

A recent study has estimated that the number of habitable planets orbiting the most common type of stars in our galaxies are in the tens of billions. The study by astronomers was based on the European Space Agency's HARPS spectograph in Chile, and used a sample of 102 red dwarf stars to estimate that 41% of the dim stars might be hiding planets "in their habitable zone."

Famed astronomer Carl Sagan once pondered what would happen if advanced extraterrestrial life came into direct contact with humans.

"They might find amusement in some talent we have that they lack and use us as entertainment, just as we keep sea lions in captivity because of their remarkable ability to balance rubber balls on their noses," he mused.

NASA astrobiologist Jacob Haqq-Misra said that astronomers are capable of detecting spectral changes in light coming from Jupiter-size planets up to 200 light years aways, however this is a very small neighbourhood in galactic terms, with the Milky Way 100,000 light years wide. More advanced civilisations would be capable of seeing farther.

Dr Haqq-Misra said that if there are other more intelligent civilisations out there, which is the likelihood, they have learned "to live within (their) means."

"The bottom line is, if there are intelligent civilisations out there, they pretty much have to have figured out how to grow in a sustainable way. We are not doing that, and (other civilisations) might make some moral judgment on how we are managing our resources." He said may be if they're nice Aliens they might feel sorry for humans and help us, and then again if they find humans a basket-case then what is left of humans may finish up like the sea lions, in captivity "balancing balls on their noses."

They must be desperate for reading material there, if the reporter can build up a pile of astrophysics and astrobiology on the basis of a photo showing a blurry streak in the sky! Equating 'UFO' with 'Alien Space Craft' is rarely justified, certainly not in this example.
"It was about 5pm on the Sunday, and light and dark were in play. I was trying to photograph a rainbow after having been intrigued by the cloud formations," said Mr Meldrum
I often notice odd cloud formations, and sometimes photograph them, but they change remarkably quickly. Sometimes I'll see a face or an animal in the clouds, but by the time my camera's ready to shoot the image has distorted out of recognition.

But I'm not sure this putative UFO is a transient cloud feature - maybe it's a little insect, whizzing past close to the lens. There's just not enough info to go on.

It apparently jumps around on screen in relation to the stars, meaning it wasn't an effect of the camera being bumped but of the craft's motion itself. Am I understanding that correctly or misunderstanding it?

Yeh, I have the same question as human_84. Several times the object suddenly moves so fast across the sky it draws a blurred motion in the camera. It doesnt seem to have particular purpose to it's eratic movement.

Also surprised this hasnt drawn mroe comments. It looks quite plausible. Very plausible actually.

On 2nd look, it seems that the video is cut right at the point the craft "moves" because you'll notice the stars fading out at that same moment. I'm really betting on the motion blur coming from the operator bumping or readjusting the camera. That being said I only re-watched the beginning of the video and didn't review the whole thing on my 2nd viewing today.

I am SO bored by this type of Lights In The Sky video clip.

How does he know it's the size of an aircraft carrier? Did he line up several destroyers for comparison? Maybe it's the size of Wales - many things are, allegedly! ;)

Did he do any research into what satellites other than the ISS might have been visible?

"I'm really betting on the motion blur coming from the operator bumping or readjusting the camera." That's what it says on the video!

"It looks quite plausible. Very plausible actually." Very plausible as what? An aircraft carrier? Wales? A previously undiscovered asteroid or comet? An aircraft of some sort?

It's a jerky piece of night-time video which is dead boring. Without additional information (about the equipment, operator, date, time and location), it tells us nothing.

rynner2 said:
"It looks quite plausible. Very plausible actually." Very plausible as what? An aircraft carrier? Wales? A previously undiscovered asteroid or comet? An aircraft of some sort?

Wales, I'd say.

Do asteroids light themselves up? Moving pretty fast to be a comet. If it was an aircraft, then its lights were unusual to say the least. Another satellite might well be the answer, but I would imagine that it would be pretty straightforward to find out.

Any ideas on what else it might have been?

What Rynner said. This is pi55-poor stuff. I was expecting to see basically an alien USS Nimitz parked over the Sydney Opera House. Not a lens-flarey, blurry blob on night-vision cameras, wobbling vaguely about.

Australia was brimming over with "airships" and UFOs; coming out of the Southern Ocean, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an example there others:
https://luforu.org/bass-strait-australia/

"In the summer of 1942 a Royal Australian Air Force pilot was patrolling the Bass Strait in response to reports from local fishermen of night lights over that area. He watched as a UFO came out of the overhead cloud cover.

It was daylight, before six o’clock in the evening, and the pilot had good visibility. The UFO was described as shining, bronze in colour, some 150 feet (46 metres) long and 50 feet (fifteen metres) wide. On top of the UFO something like a plexiglass canopy could be seen. For a while the UFO paced the aircraft and then pulled away at remarkable speed and dived straight into the ocean."

Here's an example...
A creditable account of a pre-Arnold UFO, which hints at alien visitations and secret underwater bases?

It was apparently reported by Harold Wilkins in his 1955 book, 'Flying Saucers Uncensored' and seems to have been a story he heard about:

[Start]
In the summer of 1942 a fantastic incident occurred in the waters of Tasmania, a large island off the South Australian coast. My informant is a major in the Australian R.A.F. whom I will call Brennan. He is now stationed at the secret weapons and long-range missiles experimental desert station of Woomera.

"The whole yarn is so odd that I must ask you not to give my name if you write of it. We had orders not long after the Japanese attack on Darwin to patrol the bass Strait where fishermen had reported seeing mysterious lights on the sea at night.

"At 5.50pm, of a lovely, sunny evening, we were flying some miles east of the Tasman Peninsular, when, on a sudden, there came out of a cloud bank, a singular airfoil of glistening bronze color. I'd say it was around 150 feet long and about fifty feet in diameter. It had a sort of beak at its prow, and the surface seemed burled or rippled, or fluted. On its upper surface was a dome, or cupola, from which I seemed to see reflected flashes as the sun struck something, which might or might not have been a helmet worn by something inside.

"The other end of the airfoil fined out, into a sort of fin. Every now and then there came from its keel greenish-blue flashes. It turned at a small angle towards us and I was amazed to see, framed in a white circle on the front of the dome, an image of a large, grinning Cheshire cat!

"The damm thing flew parallel to us for some minutes, and then it abruptly turned away and, as it do so, it showed four things like fins on its belly-side. It went off at a hell of a pace, turned and dived straight down into the Pacific and went under, throwing up a regular whirlpool of waves. Just as if it had been a submarine. No, the Japs had nothing on the amphibian line like that mysterious bird."
[End]

"... I was amazed to see, framed in a white circle on the front of the dome, an image of a large, grinning Cheshire cat!"...

This might arguably be 'symbolic' of how seriously our anonymous 1955 "yarn" should be taken.

A creditable account of a pre-Arnold UFO, which hints at alien visitations and secret underwater bases?

It was apparently reported by Harold Wilkins in his 1955 book, 'Flying Saucers Uncensored' and seems to have been a story he heard about:

[Start]
In the summer of 1942 a fantastic incident occurred in the waters of Tasmania, a large island off the South Australian coast. My informant is a major in the Australian R.A.F. whom I will call Brennan. He is now stationed at the secret weapons and long-range missiles experimental desert station of Woomera.

"The whole yarn is so odd that I must ask you not to give my name if you write of it. We had orders not long after the Japanese attack on Darwin to patrol the bass Strait where fishermen had reported seeing mysterious lights on the sea at night.

"At 5.50pm, of a lovely, sunny evening, we were flying some miles east of the Tasman Peninsular, when, on a sudden, there came out of a cloud bank, a singular airfoil of glistening bronze color. I'd say it was around 150 feet long and about fifty feet in diameter. It had a sort of beak at its prow, and the surface seemed burled or rippled, or fluted. On its upper surface was a dome, or cupola, from which I seemed to see reflected flashes as the sun struck something, which might or might not have been a helmet worn by something inside.

"The other end of the airfoil fined out, into a sort of fin. Every now and then there came from its keel greenish-blue flashes. It turned at a small angle towards us and I was amazed to see, framed in a white circle on the front of the dome, an image of a large, grinning Cheshire cat!

"The damm thing flew parallel to us for some minutes, and then it abruptly turned away and, as it do so, it showed four things like fins on its belly-side. It went off at a hell of a pace, turned and dived straight down into the Pacific and went under, throwing up a regular whirlpool of waves. Just as if it had been a submarine. No, the Japs had nothing on the amphibian line like that mysterious bird."
[End]

"... I was amazed to see, framed in a white circle on the front of the dome, an image of a large, grinning Cheshire cat!"...

This might arguably be 'symbolic' of how seriously our anonymous 1955 "yarn" should be taken.
Ha! I didn't know that. Well so much for that one :) and thanks. There are others though in the area; I'd have to dig them up. There were some airship stories took seriously for a period, until I later found they were hoaxes. Some things never change.

This is the one I was thinking of:
Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), Wednesday 29 July 1953, page 5
BassStrait.jpg

There were some airship stories took seriously for a period, until I later found they were hoaxes. Some things never change.
Amen, bro!

Also just found the following in my boxes of archive books. At one time I must have read this and believed it. :cool2:

IMG_20210105_061030_resize_74.jpg

Here is a bit more:..
Let's be honest, if there were a sizable number of UFO reports from Australia, someone would have written a damn good book about it.

Meantime, must return to my UFO archives and the treasure trove of books rediscovered in long forgotten boxes and...

Strewth... put some sausages on the barbie..

IMG_20210105_065620_resize_43.jpg

I've just received this as part of my Christmas selection. I've not read it yet, but at a glance it looks promising with many reports concentrating on Victorian encounters.

ufos-down-under.jpg

My favorite UFO accounts from Australia that I found were:
1. The five objects coming out of the ocean seen by the farmer
2. An incident from the 19th century (iirc) when a party moving through the bush at night had a light come up to them and shine down a beam on them that illuminated them in a perfect circle before moving on.
3. The aboriginal Australian on the horse that was nearly "skittled" by a UFO
4. The one above about the spinning object dropping into the atmosphere and opening into a saucer
5. The objects at Botany Bay that looked like lighted flying railway carriages
There are Soooo many good ones.

Excellent! Do report back. about good stuff in there! :)

Taking another quick look inside, there's 27 chapters covering the usual suspects, Valentich, Kelly Cahill, Rev Gill, Quentin Fogerty's Tasman Sea footage etc plus a host of others. Looks good.

Back