• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

Does anyone else just hate the background music in almost all professionally made videos?

Yes. Mainly because it adds little in the way of relevancy.

If there is a documentary about American cars in the 1920's, and it's accompanied by low volume Jazz, then that is relevant.

But too many modern youtube documentaries about all sorts of subjects have high volume techno, which makes it hard to concentrate.

As I get older my Aspergers' symptoms intensify.

I am finding it harder than before to get the tube (the underground system in London) because of the different simultaneous mobile phone conversations, simultaneous with people listening music on their phone loudspeakers.

Today a teenager was talking to what I presume was her friend, doing her best to sound "cool" but adopting a low disinterested tone.
Really annoying.

I had my hearing check-up today and will be getting new hearing aids in a couple of weeks. The ones I have now are seven years old and the technology has moved on so I hope they'll make things easier.

@Victory @Endlessly Amazed @staticgirl

'Plinky plonky' - Yes that's the best description!
Even just last night I started to watch Alice Roberts (archaeologist) on a 'Tudor' episode. and had to turn it off due to this ridiculousness.
And yet again last night.
I wanted to watch a nature programme called 'secrets of the forest' but lasted all of 20 minutes due to the constant, drippy background music.

I can't say I'd noticed annoying music very often in the backgrounds of documentaries. I think I know what you mean, it just doesn't annoy me. However, I noticed a few years back that the TNG era Star Trek shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager) seem to have near constant music in the background, and I suddenly found it so distracting I couldn't concentrate on the show. Once I'd noticed it, it's all I could notice. I'm over it now, and can't even remember how much music goes on in Picard, for example.

Another day, another attack... unfortunately these people get traction.

Missouri pastor Rick Morrow resigns from school board after claiming that children with autism are possessed by a 'DEMON' and 'God doesn't make mess ups'​

• Pastor Rick Morrow of the Beulah Church resigned from the local school board after claiming autism can be cured by casting a demon out
  • Morrow has stood by his comments, repeating that demons cause autism
  • Stoutland School district board denounced the comments and social media users piled on Morrow
But the pastor stood by his comments in an interview with KY3, repeating that autism is caused by demons.

He claimed: 'Yes, either in or around on, somehow it's affecting,... And when I say a demon, you people want to, like I said, they want to get that Hollywood description of what a demon is this nasty, so ugly and, and that's not the case, it's just an evil presence. It's just the presence of evil.'

He also explained his comments regarding 'junk.'

'By junk, I meant autism, that condition, the illness or the neurodivergence,' he explained.

'All of us have issues; all of us have problems. All of us have conditions. All of us have sicknesses and diseases and illnesses. And I just refuse to blame God for those things.'

Marrow argued he knows a minister 'who has seen lots of kids that are autistic, that he cast that demon out, and they were healed, and then he had to pray and their brain was rewired and they were fixed.'

I am terrified by people like this. The friend I lost to suicide, mentioned on the Whinge thread ( https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/modern-funeral-customs.24780/page-14#post-2274758 ) was called demon and possessed by his fringe religious nut birth mother. I took him to my own church and he spent a long time listening to people tell him that he's not a demon, not possessed, nothing like that, being gently baffled that anyone could think so. He rang Mother several times after that he told me, just to chat.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12519407/Missouri-pastor-Rick-Morrow-autism-DEMONIC.html

Missouri is like that crazy old aunt that everyone has; you know, the one who forwards any email she gets that claims Proctor & Gamble is peddling satanism, or that so-and-so will start WWIII if elected. Pitiful.

I've never lived in Missouri, but some of my relatives do (all sane as far as I know), and I've lived in two adjacent states. I've been in and through various parts of the state many times. In a lot ways, it is a modern and pleasant place, and it's jarring when something like this surfaces to show just how backward they are. The natives are friendly, especially in places like Branson where tourists flock, but under the surface is a terrible sickness.

In a lot ways, it is a modern and pleasant place, and it's jarring when something like this surfaces to show just how backward they are. The natives are friendly, especially in places like Branson where tourists flock, but under the surface is a terrible sickness.
This is the dichotomy - an open, welcoming, modern-thinking place ... and bizarre illogic. This is what makes it unsettling. You think you've a handle on the place, then something comes along to throw you off.

There are so few allowances made for autistic people e.g. today I failed a security check (regarding my mobile phone account) because I struggle with numbers & memory and so couldn't tell the agent what the 3rd, 5th, and final letters of my eleven-digit/numeral password were; I just couldn't visualise it in my mind. She was actually very pleasant and understanding but I nevertheless failed. And this led to disproportionate stress about not being able to pay for my monthly bundle (and the resultant lack of communication with anyone).

T'missus is in that line. She gets really stressed when she can't help out. Thing is, they can't make allowances for autism (or even dementia or other issues) because of the customers need for security.
As a tip I physically write my codes on a piece of paper hidden away. So when I know I need to contact the bank on 'phone - which utterly stresses me out - I calm myself because I've the info I might need.

Yes, you've hit on the main reason for my failure: spontaneity, the unpredictable event of being asked security questions. Unpredictable to me, that is - if I could plan properly, I would've written details down before calling.

I can't say I'd noticed annoying music very often in the backgrounds of documentaries. I think I know what you mean, it just doesn't annoy me. However, I noticed a few years back that the TNG era Star Trek shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager) seem to have near constant music in the background, and I suddenly found it so distracting I couldn't concentrate on the show. Once I'd noticed it, it's all I could notice. I'm over it now, and can't even remember how much music goes on in Picard, for example.
The thing that really made me realise I can't filter out background noise was I thought the sea was too loud during Master & Commander...

With me, my maths is crap - gawd bless the electronic calculator. However, I 'see' and understand algebra and patterns in numbers. I discovered the former while reviewing/writing/using table-top role playing games, and the latter when I did a City & Guilds in Book-keeping and Accountancy.
My memory is such that I retain trivia, distant memories (though often slightly-erroneous detail), and I paraphrase quotations - I get them mostly right.

My wife always jokes "You were bloody autistic before it was invented!"
Of course, I was always with the condition but my childhood background meant that autism was only something that was shown at its most non-responsive. My parents thought me hyperactive and 'bright' (as if it was unusual). But it never occurred to me that people didn't see the world as I do. I grew up with coping mechanisms that I didn't realise were coping mechanisms. I just considered what I had to do to get through life.
It was only when I met t'missus and gained a step-son with Aspergers, I realised I could see the world how he saw it. I acted as a translator or guide to his perception for her. It was then my wife pointed out how many autistic traits I had. Yup - I'm self-diagnosed (as yucky as I find that) but, after all these decades, I don't really need an official diagnosis. At least I recognise when I need to formulate coping mechanisms and see issues that might come my way.

Back