• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Auto / Automotive / Car Forteana

A

Anonymous

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this doesn't really count as Forteana, but as this is about cars, I may as well offer this bit of nothing as my first post:

I love cars. I've had a passion for them my whole life. When I was 18 (27 as of this writing), I bought my first 'dream car:' a 1993 Ford Mustang GT. I baby it, fix it up, work on it myself. Of course its not a Ferrari or some such thing, but I've always loved Mustangs and the sound that the 5.0L motor makes, etc. I SWEAR my car runs better when she's clean. If I let her get too dirty, the motor isn't as strong, the handling isn't as crisp. Its as though the car is saying, "Dammit, give me a BATH!!!"

Not really Fortean, but curious all the same.

And hello to all the board members!

Raistlin Majere said:
Its as though the car is saying, "Dammit, give me a BATH!!!"

Not really Fortean, but curious all the same.

And hello to all the board members!

hello RM.... oh dear better clean out the Aixam then

Bunged up tubes won't do her any favours. S'like me with cats, really...

Anyone else with any car-related tales?

I remember a bizarre radio show when I was a kid where people were claiming that the prolonged contact between a person and their car was somehow infusing their "life-force" into the car, causing it to start-up all by itself at inopportune moments. Don't remember much about it though. :confused:

Dark Detective, I am reminded of your recent 'man in love with his Metro' post (Auto-erotica ?)
Is this a subject close to your heart ?

oooh, the capri site is so spooky! read for oyurselves the terrible coincidences that surround this haunted car:

<I experienced some very strange occurrences with watches and clocks in the house. Firstly my own wrist watch stopped completely and I had to have the battery changed,>

<my bedside wind up alarm clock stopped on three consecutive nights at three o’clock. I started to use a battery alarm clock and it also stopped the next night at quarter to three. Again no explanations were found.>

<at one point the car stopped abruptly outside one of the garages and would not restart (...), it was as if the vehicle wanted to stay in the same place>

<Later that day the rear brake on my everyday car seized as I was traveling along and I had to acquire the assistance of my mechanic to investigate the problem. He could find no apparent reason for the occurrence and we put it down to one of those things that happen>

<I was due to film the programme on 13th January 2000 but on the day before I felt ill and I was made to stay in bed for the following week with a mysterious stomach complaint>

<One of my mechanics who worked on "ARK 666Y The Haunted Capri" split permanently from his wife.
My friend who saw the ghostly figure in the car parted from her partner.
Another mechanic who worked on "ARK 666Y The Haunted Capri" parted from his long time partner.
Another person involved with the story divorced her husband after twenty-five years of happy marriage.>

scary, huh?

The Haunted Capri can now be rented for that special occasion:

ark666y.com/hireindex.htm
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080510151724/http://www.ark666y.com/hireindex.htm

The Haunted Capri has been used as a wedding vehicle, as a mystery drive vehicle, as a courtesy car at a ghost and ghouls party, as a static display at a paranormal fair, as a ghost watch location and as the star in many television programmes.

Unfortunately, owing to insurance clauses, the vehicle can no longer be used on Public roads but it can be driven on private land. Hence it is still available as a static display for your conventions, fairs and meetings etc.

Owing to the enormous interest and demand for filming from the media the Haunted Capri is available for film shoots and can be booked as a full days package. This includes the use of a private estate in the Sussex countryside, refreshments, ample parking and all facilities. The Capri and owner will be present together with some of the people who have experienced the strange happenings. It is also possible to attain the services of a highly respected priest who will reconstruct a blessing service over the vehicle for filming purposes.

Ghost hunters and paranormal researchers are most welcome to contact me regarding studying the car or even spending nights in the vehicle.

Maybe FT could hire the car and have Emps post from it overnight?

Anyone else with any car-related tales?

I remember a bizarre radio show when I was a kid where people were claiming that the prolonged contact between a person and their car was somehow infusing their "life-force" into the car, causing it to start-up all by itself at inopportune moments. Don't remember much about it though. :confused:
I had a Volvo V70 once which had an engine that would stop all by itself. I suspect this was due to it being crap, and old, rather than anything supernatural. The horn used to sound when the left hand indicator was on, when turning left, but this was probably the 'clock spring' wire connecting the steering wheel to the steering column. It annoyed me once too often when the engine started leaking water faster than it could be filled up, so I sold it to the banger racers.

I owned a Fiesta with a faulty speedo that would show me travelling at 40/50/60 when it was barely dragging itself along at 30.

Used to give a colleague a lift home and he'd laugh himself silly at it.
When it started spinning round like a propellor poor Mike lost it completely. :rofl:

One piece of information that rarely, if ever, seems to be reported, is the history of the car in question i.e. was it a new car or a second hand one with multiple previous owners?

Funnily enough, I know of a few cars with a reputation for being haunted, via some motoring forums - some of which had an unknown history (like the Morris Minor in which an elderly lady could frequently be seen sat in the driver's seat while it was parked in the current owner's driveway), and others where a more direct link could be established (like the cherished Vauxhall Cavalier owned from new by a Vauxhall employee, to which every conceivable extra had been fitted, and developed all manner of untraceable faults and other reported strange phenomena when it was sold on after his death.

I'll have a trawl through my files when I get a moment.

Funnily enough, I know of a few cars with a reputation for being haunted, via some motoring forums - some of which had an unknown history (like the Morris Minor in which an elderly lady could frequently be seen sat in the driver's seat while it was parked in the current owner's driveway), and others where a more direct link could be established (like the cherished Vauxhall Cavalier owned from new by a Vauxhall employee, to which every conceivable extra had been fitted, and developed all manner of untraceable faults and other reported strange phenomena when it was sold on after his death.

I'll have a trawl through my files when I get a moment.
'Haunted/jinxed' vehicles - what a brilliant subject. I don't believe we have a thread on that although there have been mentions. :)

Edit - we do have Ghost Cars/Road Vehicles

Last edited:
Slightly tenuous link but...

Iron Maiden's producer Martin Birch crashed his car during the recording sessions for "The Number Of The Beast"...

"Steve Harris says: “One weird thing that happened was that Martin went to get his car repaired after it had been in an accident, and the bill came to £666. He was so freaked out that he insisted the garage charged him £667. It must have been the first time that garage had ever come across someone who demanded to pay more.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/iron-maiden-steve-on-the-garage-bill-of-the-beast

Iron Maiden's producer Martin Birch crashed his car during the recording sessions for "The Number Of The Beast"...

"Steve Harris says: “One weird thing that happened was that Martin went to get his car repaired after it had been in an accident, and the bill came to £666. He was so freaked out that he insisted the garage charged him £667. It must have been the first time that garage had ever come across someone who demanded to pay more.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/iron-maiden-steve-on-the-garage-bill-of-the-beast
He could have just tipped. ;)

'Haunted/jinxed' vehicles - what a brilliant subject. I don't believe we have a thread on that although there have been mentions. :)

Around 18 years back, I bought a 1 year old Kia Rio (in sickly tropical yellow), which seemed to be cursed.
In the space of some 4 months, it was broken into by someone smashing the passenger side window. Got that fixed, only for a large Mercedes to reverse into me, staving in the driver side wing and front door. The garage totally bodged the repairs, leaving the tracking pulling dangerously to one side and steering wheel misaligned. Back it went for further repairs. Had it back on the road for a few weeks when, driving to work one morning on the M3, I joined the queue of cars waiting to exit at the Basingstoke turn-off, when a 7.5 ton truck slammed into the back of me, ramming my car into the car in front and spinning me around so I was facing back up the motorway, alongside the truck, which had caught fire. The car was quite crumpled, so I had to kick out the passenger side door and crawl onto the hard shoulder. Semi-conscious, I remember watching the cursed Kia catching fire, before the ambulances arrived.
Apart from the minor parking bump, I've never experience such misfortune in any car before or after.
I would have been curious to know if the previous owner had any bad experiences in that damn car!

Around 18 years back, I bought a 1 year old Kia Rio (in sickly tropical yellow), which seemed to be cursed.
In the space of some 4 months, it was broken into by someone smashing the passenger side window. Got that fixed, only for a large Mercedes to reverse into me, staving in the driver side wing and front door. The garage totally bodged the repairs, leaving the tracking pulling dangerously to one side and steering wheel misaligned. Back it went for further repairs. Had it back on the road for a few weeks when, driving to work one morning on the M3, I joined the queue of cars waiting to exit at the Basingstoke turn-off, when a 7.5 ton truck slammed into the back of me, ramming my car into the car in front and spinning me around so I was facing back up the motorway, alongside the truck, which had caught fire. The car was quite crumpled, so I had to kick out the passenger side door and crawl onto the hard shoulder. Semi-conscious, I remember watching the cursed Kia catching fire, before the ambulances arrived.
Apart from the minor parking bump, I've never experience such misfortune in any car before or after.
I would have been curious to know if the previous owner had any bad experiences in that damn car!
It sounds like you are lucky to be alive.

The ghost vehicles thread is for spectral / ghostly vehicles that have been reported.

We don't (yet) have a thread on the subject of cursed / haunted / jinxed road vehicles, but we do have a couple of threads dedicated to two famous examples:

The Golden Eagle (Cursed Car; Maine; Inspiration For 'Christine'?)
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ed-car-maine-inspiration-for-christine.68773/

Archduke Franz Ferdinand's 'Cursed Car'
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/franz-ferdinands-cursed-car.27897/

It sounds like you are lucky to be alive.

Got away with a facial fracture, torn scalp, a detached biceps (thanks to the seat-belt!) and badly cut legs.

The curséd Kia looked like this:

kia.png

People give cars names, in Japan this is considered bad luck,
I only ever named one car and had a few exiting moments with it
I have never given one a name since.
:omr:

People give cars names, in Japan this is considered bad luck,
I only ever named one car and had a few exiting moments with it
I have never given one a name since.
:omr:
All vehicles have borne the same limited number of names, spontaneously generated as they slide sideways on ice or spit out a piston.

Do you ever think you spot it, lurking half-hidden round a corner? :omg:

Techy's last car, a damp crate that I hated - and it hated me RIGHT back, letting me know by regularly trying to amputate my leg by slamming the passenger door on it as I got in - was hauled away in the spring and he still has dreams about it rolling up outside in the night.

In the dreams he looks outside and there it is, waiting patiently... :evillaugh:

Reminds me of this incident which happened during the filming of A Bridge Too Far
During production, special effects supervisor John Richardson was injured driving his BMW, and his assistant and girlfriend Liz Moore was killed in the accident. The incident happened just after midnight on Sunday, June 13, 1976. Some believed the accident was a result of a sinister curse on those who were involved in the making of The Omen (1976), as Richardson was. The head-on collision beheaded Moore (a real-life echo of the character Jenning's decapitation in The Omen); Richardson was left alive but dazed. When he got up after the collision, he noticed a signpost nearby pointing to the nearby town of Ommen, which is 20 kilometers away. But a kilometer marker where the accident happened indicated a distance of 66.6 kilometers.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075784/trivia/?ref_=tt_ql_trv

Back