• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ok, so maybe I'm stupid, but I don't like computers and i'm confused. Am I no longer able to have an avatar because I have no webspace? :(

You can get some free image hosting space but until the problems are fixed actually uploading avatars has been disabled.

I'm sure even if you can't get some space (although there are resources listed in this thread I believe) I'm sure someone has some spare space.

Free Avatar Hosting Site

Anyone who needs some webspace for an avatar should consider signing up at http://img.photobucket.com for free hosting. It's a simple process.

Hint:
Right-clicking on an existing avater will often reveal the source of the graphic, and thus, the host.

My avatar seems to have dissappeared again. I haven't seen it for about a week. I either get an X or nothing.:roll:

Min Bannister said:
My avatar seems to have dissappeared again. I haven't seen it for about a week. I either get an X or nothing.:roll:

I can see it fine - I wonder if you're cached version is corrupt? Or something ;)

Really? Hmm weird. :?

Edit, I've just re-uploaded it so I can see it again. Quite a few other peoples are missing for me. Some strange avatar eating monster in my computer? Happens on my home and work ones though. :?

Perhaps Photobucket is slow to load sometimes--I couldn't see Hobbes 20 min ago, but I see him now.

Leaferne said:
Perhaps Photobucket is slow to load sometimes--I couldn't see Hobbes 20 min ago, but I see him now.

Its Min's old avatar stored on the server here - it may be that some monkeying around around the back has caused a few little issues (I think the problems I'm aware of are all from avatars stored here) - if they persist keep us informed.

Thats right but previously it was one I had linked to from another site (not photo bucket) as I had changed it before I knew about the magic link to the old ones. If that makes sense. So it seems odd. But monkeying around is good if it fixes the things that need fixing! :D

I give up
Doesn't matter where i get my av hosted, hitting submit in my profile doesn't submit a cotton-picking thing.
The profile screen is basically making that noise at me that you get in Family Fortunes when you've got the wrong answer.

lemonpie said:
I give up
Doesn't matter where i get my av hosted, hitting submit in my profile doesn't submit a cotton-picking thing.
The profile screen is basically making that noise at me that you get in Family Fortunes when you've got the wrong answer.

Drop the link in (or PM it to me) and I'll give it a go.

lemonpie said:
I give up
Hope you get it sorted out, thought this would be a good avatar for you.
9992.jpg

Pete Younger said:
lemonpie said:
I give up
Hope you get it sorted out, thought this would be a good avatar for you.
9992.jpg

Its just a touch too big though ;)

Cute, but I wouldn't want people thinking I was nice or anything. I've just PMd Emperor, maybe he can do his magic thang...

Do what with his magic thang?

Sorry, I was reading the chocolate day thread........ :twisted:

lemonpie said:
Cute, but I wouldn't want people thinking I was nice or anything. I've just PMd Emperor, maybe he can do his magic thang...

I wouldn't put cash on it, as atr the moment it would appear that Emps avatar has disappeared as well :D

[Edit]B*gger, it was just this PC not loading the images for some reason, a lost oppotunity to take the micky out of a Mod... oh well [/Edit]

Thanks Arthur ASCII !!!!

Photobucket is much nicer than another web-host I was using. They said you get 5000 credits per month, but three weeks in, I was out of credits and they were plastering an advert over me handsome mug !!!

The cheeky bastards !!

Prof Pretorius said:
Thanks Arthur ASCII !!!!

Photobucket is much nicer than another web-host I was using. They said you get 5000 credits per month, but three weeks in, I was out of credits and they were plastering an advert over me handsome mug !!!

The cheeky bastards !!

Yep I'd recommend photobucket - lemonpie's problem arose because the service she was using didn't have an image extensions (.gif, .jpg, etc.) and so (for security reasons) you can't use them here. This has caughtna few people out already and so its worth mentioning agin so we can reduce the number of people running into this issue.

Greets

just a mention in case anyone else is as stoopid as me.

before complaining about lack of avatars etc, if you're running firefox make sure that not only that allow for the download of images but also allow for them to downloaded from other sites

Tools/Options/Web Options/Load Images - tick box
but leave the "for the originating site only" box unticked.

mal

In Mozilla for Mac:

Mozilla > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Images > Accept All Images.

Having said that...

Emps, I was in Chat and could see your avatar...went to a different section and all I saw was the word "AVATAR". :?:

I'm tempted to ask for custom avatars to be switched off - at least until the site can hold images itself. Some hosting sites seem to take forever to reply.

Oh dear, it's happened AGAIN !!!

My Avatar-My Self !!!

Gone, gone, gone. To be precise, everyone's avatars have gone hid. Makes for a boring look, I'll tell you.

Emps, old man, could you, would you bring them home again ???

I've noticed that there are no avatars if you're not logged in.

(If, like me, you browse the board without logging in (because the d*mned cookies don't work!), but then have to log in to post, you'll find the Avs are still there! I did query this somewhere here, but got no response... )

Rynner, old chap, you've hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head !! I posted, and there I was. But when I browse without logging in, no avatars. IMHO, this is denying the folk who just browse the lovely benefit of our beautiful self-poortraits.

How can I upload a custom avatar? I can't even locate a button to do that, and my image cannot be linked to another website. It used to be so easy ... :(

Back