Aviation Accidents

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Shoreham air crash: Pilot was involved in previous 'airshow incident'

The pilot flying a jet which crashed at the Shoreham airshow was involved in an incident at a different airshow a year before, it has emerged.

Sussex Police has told relatives of 11 men who died they are investigating an incident at the Southport Airshow in 2014 in which a vintage jet is believed to have flown too low.

At the Shoreham event in August, a Hawker Hunter jet crashed.

Pilot Andy Hill was thrown free from the aircraft. The 11 died at the scene.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-35473857

rynner2

Great Old One
Burning man 'sucked out of plane' over Mogadishu after explosion on board
An explosion – thought to have been a bomb – ripped a hole in the side of a plane, with reports that the charred body of a man fell to earth
[Video]
By Barney Henderson, video source Storyful / Awale Kullane
4:11AM GMT 03 Feb 2016

A burning man was reportedly sucked out of a hole in a plane apparently caused by a bomb, forcing the aircraft to make an emergency landing in Mogadishu on Tuesday.
An explosion and fire blew a gaping hole in the commercial airliner, with the pilot later saying he thought it was a bomb.
An aviation expert who looked at photographs of the hole in the fuselage said the damage was consistent with an explosive device.

There were reports that an unidentified elderly man, engulfed in flames, was sucked out of the hole in the fuselage of Flight D3159.
Eyewitnesses on the ground reported seeing his charred body fall to Earth.
Mohamed Hassan, a police officer in the town of Balad 18 miles north of Mogadishu, said residents had found the dead body of an old man.

Somali aviation official, Ali Mohamoud, said only two people were slightly injured as 74 passengers and crew of the plane were evacuated after the plane made a safe landing. Local radio reported the plane was on fire when it landed.
It was not certain if all the passengers were accounted for.
The plane, operated by Daallo Airlines and headed to Djibouti in the Horn of Africa, was forced to land minutes after taking off from the Mogadishu airport, said Mr Mohamoud.

"I think it was a bomb," said the Serbian pilot, Vladimir Vodopivec, who was quoted by Belgrade daily Blic. "Luckily, the flight controls were not damaged so I could return and land at the airport. Something like this has never happened in my flight career. We lost pressure in the cabin. Thank god it ended well," the 64-year-old pilot said.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-over-Mogadishu-after-explosion-on-board.html

Cargo plane touches down despite faulty landing gear
2 hours ago

A pilot has landed a cargo plane on the island of Guam in the Western Pacific, despite the front wheels not deploying correctly.

Three crew members were on board, and no one was injured, according to airport spokeswoman Rolenda Faasuamalie.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35667406?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Vid at link

The captain of the FlyDubai jet which crashed in Russia last Saturday was due to leave the airline, citing fatigue, colleagues say.

The Boeing 737-800 crash in Rostov-on-Don killed all 62 people on board, including seven crew.

Pilots speaking anonymously to the BBC say fatigue was a contributory factor in the accident - claims FlyDubai says relate to "confidential information".

One pilot reported previously falling asleep at the controls from exhaustion.

"We are unable to disclose confidential information relating to our employees," a FlyDubai spokesperson said.

"It is important, not least out of respect for the families involved, that we do not speculate about the circumstances of this tragic accident, whilst the independent investigating authorities carry out their work."

The pilots who spoke to the BBC say their colleagues are at "significant and obvious risk" from fatigue. One of the sources has already resigned and another says he will quit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35855678?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Drone hit British Airways plane approaching Heathrow Airport
  • 6 minutes ago
  • From the sectionUK
Image copyrightPA
A plane approaching Heathrow Airport is believed to have hit a drone before it landed safely, the Metropolitan Police have said.

The British Airways flight from Geneva was hit as it approached the London airport at about 12:50 BST with 132 passengers and five crew on board.

After landing, the pilot reported an object - believed to be a drone - had struck the front of the Airbus A320.

Aviation police based at Heathrow have launched an investigation.

Police said no arrests have been made.

A British Airways spokesman said: "Our aircraft landed safely, was fully examined by our engineers and it was cleared to operate its next flight."

The airline will give the police "every assistance with their investigation", the spokesman added.

The incident follows a warning earlier this year by the head of the International Air Transport Association that drones flown by the general public are "a real and growing threat" to civilian aircraft.

Tony Tyler called for drone regulations to be put in place before any serious accidents occur.

In January, the UK Air Proximity Board - which investigates near-miss incidents in UK airspace - said there had been four serious near-misses at UK airports.

The category A incidents were reported at Stansted, Heathrow, London City and Manchester airports.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36067591

rynner2

Great Old One
Surely all commercial aircraft should now carry gun turrets, whether manned (WWII style) or unmanned, to shoot down anything that looks like getting too close!

No doubt even now some maniac is working out how much explosive a drone can carry to become a flying bomb!

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
It seems to me - I'm in a bad mood this morning - that many things we have come to rely on are in the process of being made useless by what is basically greed and poor discipline. Email is swamped with spam, nothing seems to be maintained properly, new devices claim to be better than the old but actually do more things less well, etc.

Perhaps this should be in 'growing old...'

rynner2

Great Old One
Surely all commercial aircraft should now carry gun turrets, whether manned (WWII style) or unmanned, to shoot down anything that looks like getting too close!

No doubt even now some maniac is working out how much explosive a drone can carry to become a flying bomb!
And today's Matt cartoon shows an air passenger checking in for his flight at Heathrow. The check-in girl says,

"Congratulations! You've been upgraded to rear gunner. You're in charge of shooting down drones." :D

(Great minds think alike, eh?)

rynner2

Great Old One
A plane with a square wheel lands at Heathrow
Hugh Morris
10 May 2016 11:53am

Aviation experts were left bemused by the sight of a square-shaped wheel on a British Airways plane that had just landed at Heathrow.

The crew on the Airbus A380-800 were first warned about an issue with the tyre after take-off from Hong Kong after they received an alert of a loss of pressure in the wheel.
The crew decided to resume the 13-hour flight to London but to request a tow tug for the landing at Heathrow in case the plane would be unable to taxi to the terminal.
After landing safely, staff were surprised to find that the tyre had deflated into a square shape, rather than the usual flat bottom.

Members of the Aviation Herald website, where the square tyre was first reported, suggested that the shape was caused by a slow puncture taking place at altitude over a variety of temperatures.
A spokesperson for the Civil Aviation Authority told the MailOnline: “It is a curious one. Not seen anything like it before.”

Patrick Smith, airline pilot and author of Cockpit Confidential, suggested: “The tyre deflated and the subsequent rotation caused it to fold in on itself in four symmetrical segments.”

A spokesperson for British Airways said that the plane landed safely, with one of its 18 tyres deflated: “The A380, in common with other large commercial aircraft, is designed to be perfectly safe when landing with a deflated tyre.”

Though the square wheel looks concerning, it's not as bad as the damage left by a bird strike on an Air Namibia plane earlier this year.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/plane-lands-at-heathrow-with-square-tyre/

rynner2

Great Old One
Pilot injured as vintage Gypsy Moth biplane crashes after take off in Devon farm fields
By WMN_PGoodwin | Posted: May 13, 2016

A man has suffered leg and back injuries after a vintage plane crashed in a farmer's field in Devon.
The 1941 De Havilland DH-82A Tiger Moth II is thought to have come down at Weston, near Sidmouth, after taking off at nearby Branscombe airfield.

Police said the plane – registration G-AMCK – crashed around 10.55am on Friday.
The fire service also attended along with the Devon air ambulance and the police helicopter.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Pil...lane-crashes/story-29269074-detail/story.html

This is a plane I've known all my life. An old design, but a good 'un.
As a boy in Surrey I often saw them flying overhead.
Later, when I was into sailing, I learned that Francis Chichester had flown one to Australia, and then 'Alone across the Tasman Sea' from NZ to OZ, before WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Chichester#Air_pilot
This is why he named his later sailing boats Gypsy Moth.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Pil...lane-crashes/story-29269074-detail/story.html

Last edited:
Another bit of slapdash local newspaper journalism - Gypsy or Tiger Moth??

G-AMCK is indeed a DH.82 Tiger Moth, not a DH.60 Gypsy Moth - there are slight differences.

*proudly accepts Nobel prize for pedantry*

Last edited:

rynner2

Great Old One
Another bit of slapdash local newspaper journalism - Gypsy or Tiger Moth??

G-AMCK is indeed a DH.82 Tiger Moth, not a DH.60 Gipsy Moth - there are slight differences.

*proudly accepts Nobel prize for pedantry*
Yeah, I looked at that myself, but then I thought, well who cares? I thought there could be a pedant out there somewhere, but on this MB..?

Clearly I was wrong! :twisted:

Guilty. I'm a big fan of both pedantry and de Havilland aircraft. I used to work with Tiger Moths and Dragon Rapides, so sentimentality enters into the equation as well.

May I recommed this museum to any aviation-minded people in the UK? It's just off the M25 near St Albans.

www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Not looking good for the Paris-Cairo flight.

Seems to be a lot of confusion between EgyptAir and the Egyptian military over whether a distress signal was sent.

I know there is always a rush to get the news out but this kind of thing only fuels a conspiracy and the feeling that the story we will get told is currently being put together behind closed doors.

Seems to be a lot of confusion between EgyptAir and the Egyptian military over whether a distress signal was sent.

I know there is always a rush to get the news out but this kind of thing only fuels a conspiracy and the feeling that the story we will get told is currently being put together behind closed doors.
I got a sick feeling in my stomach after hearing the army and the airline disagreeing with each other. Doesn't auger well.

rynner2

Great Old One
Another crash, but no fatalities despite the fiery inferno:
American B-52 bomber crashes in Guam

A B-52 bomber has crashed shortly after take-off at a US base in Guam, the US Air Force says.
It says all seven crew members safely left the aircraft after the incident at 08:30 local time (22:30 GMT Wednesday) at Andersen Air Force Base.

The US Air Force told the BBC it was treating the incident as a "mishap".
The bomber was deployed to the US island territory from North Dakota as part of the military's continuous presence in the Pacific.

Local news site Kuam quoted the Guam governor's office as saying: "We assure the public this does not appear to be an attack."

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36328582

Cochise

Justified & Ancient

Sounds like there was no warning and the plane broke up in midair. From the Telegraph's reporting, anyway. Far too early to draw any conclusions.

Edit - now the DT is saying there was a distress call 10 minutes before the 'crash'

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Breaking news that debris thought to be from Egyptair flight MS804 has been spotted WEST of Crete.
That is several hundred miles away from where the last point of contact was supposedly made just North of the Egyptian coast. Instead of preparing for a landing at Cairo, that would suggest the aircraft had started turning back towards Greece. Most odd.

Sounds like there was no warning and the plane broke up in midair. From the Telegraph's reporting, anyway. Far too early to draw any conclusions.

Edit - now the DT is saying there was a distress call 10 minutes before the 'crash'
Three security personnel on a plane with under 100 passengers? Seems a lot doesn't it?

Mag-ona

Ephemeral Spectre
Under the circumstance's, not a lot for EgyptAir. They've had one airliner down over the desert back sometime before this past Christmas, then another incident involving a hijacking back a couple of months or so ago.. and now this one that happened today (or last night? have to check on that). It's been one thing after another with this airliner and it's somewhat reminiscent with Malaysia's main airline company too where that one ended up missing over the Indian Ocean and another one, not too long after that, ended up being shot out of the sky in the Ukraine.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Looks like the debris spotted in the sea off Crete did not come from flight MS804.
Whilst the Pacific is vast and the search for Malaysia flight 370 was always going to be hugely difficult, the Mediterranean is comparatively small, is regularly overflown and has a high density of shipping traffic. Hence it does seem surprising that no trace of the Airbus has yet been found.

Looks like the debris spotted in the sea off Crete did not come from flight MS804.
Whilst the Pacific is vast and the search for Malaysia flight 370 was always going to be hugely difficult, the Mediterranean is comparatively small, is regularly overflown and has a high density of shipping traffic. Hence it does seem surprising that no trace of the Airbus has yet been found.
Yeah. Naval ships and aircraft were swiftly in the general area of the disappearance. Yu would have expected something by now.