Aviation Accidents

rynner2

Great Old One
Today is the anniversary of a crash I don't recall hearing about at the time. (I may have been involved with Uni exams.)
Stockport air disaster: The holiday flight that ended in catastrophe
By Tom Mullen BBC News

Fifty [five] years ago a plane returning from Majorca plunged to the ground in Stockport, Greater Manchester, killing 72 people. Here survivors and eyewitnesses recall what remains one of Britain's worst, but lesser-known, air disasters.

The British Midland flight was full of returning holidaymakers bound for Manchester Airport when, on the morning of 4 June 1967, it suddenly lost power and began to fall.
Terrified residents watched the aircraft hurtling across rooftops, so low they could see people inside, banging on the windows.
Moments later it crashed on a small patch of open ground at Hopes Carr, on the edge of the town centre, striking a garage building and lighting up in a ball of fire.

Of its 84 passengers and crew, 72 died and the remaining 12 were seriously injured. They included a stewardess and the captain.
"We were met with a scene of sheer horror," said retired Stockport firefighter Mike Phillips, who was 21 at the time.
"There were bodies all over the place, and body parts. Members of the public were just screaming for us to do something."

The aircraft had narrowly avoided hitting rows of nearby houses, averting an even greater disaster. Incredibly, no-one on the ground was hurt.
"There was this thick black smoke," Mr Phillips said. "Hundreds of people arrived. I always say the real heroes are the civilians who got stuck in and were a real help to us.
"I saw the body of a young boy, and he just looked like there was nothing wrong with him. That stayed with me."

An air accident investigation found the cause of the crash to be "fuel starvation" due to a fault in the fuel lines and the Canadair C-4 Argonaut propeller aircraft's poor warning system.
It is still considered one of the worst air disasters in British aviation history, alongside Lockerbie in 1988 and Staines 16 years earlier.

Captain Harry Marlow was not blamed, and there were strong indications he made concerted efforts to steer the aircraft away from people's homes.
The former RAF display pilot suffered amnesia and never flew again. He died in 2009.

Survivor Harold Wood was 15 at the time of the crash.
Remembering the flight's final moments, he said: "We were banking quite steeply and I could see a gentleman coming out of a shop and getting into his little Anglia van and looking up at the aircraft. We were that low that I could really at that time tell you the registration.
"I thought to myself at this point 'we aren't going to make this'.

"And at this point this is where I can't remember a thing about the actual flight other than actually waking up in the aircraft itself, surrounded by flames and my brother next to me.
"I saw a hole in the side of the aircraft so I thought, right, let's get out of here."
Mr Wood's brother, Bill, also survived but his father did not.

upload_2017-6-4_9-23-26.jpeg

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40095542

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I knew of the disaster but only from finding it on the internet a few years ago. I was certainly old enough to have been sitting up and taking notice of the news well before that date: Aberfan and the Moors Murders made a strong impression.

I worked in central Stockport some years ago and still visit the area frequently. The town centre is directly under the flight-path of planes coming in to land at Manchester Airport. They can still startle, though they come with some regularity. As that article states, the pilot appears to have steered the plane away from the heavily populated areas, preventing a much worse death-toll. A timely reminder. :(

rynner2

Great Old One
Former Bodmin College schoolboy turned pilot Martin Scott killed in Australia plane crash
By Shannon_Hards | Posted: June 05, 2017

A former Bodmin College student who trained as a pilot in Cornwall has been killed in a devastating plane crash in Australia.

The tragic accident in the South Australian Riverland, claimed the lives of all three passengers on-board, including that of chief pilot and father, Martin Scott, who had previously undertaken aviation training across Cornwall.

Australian police found the plane wreckage in forestland, about 4km west of where it had taken off from on May 30.
Police were advised by search and rescue crews of an emergency signal activated aboard the aircraft, around 20 minutes after it departed.

Major crash investigators are currently analysing the 10 person plane, however it is unclear as to how the aircraft, which contained three very experienced pilots, came to fail.

Father of the 48-year-old pilot, Joseph Scott, who lives in Stithians, has paid tribute to his son who he says, "died doing what he loved".
He said it has been difficult for himself, Martin's partner, Terri and 9-year-old son, Andrew, to accept what has happened, due to not knowing what caused the crash.

Born in Chippenham, Martin attended Bodmin College and studied for his O-Levels, before moving to Plymouth to study engineering at the city's university.

Joseph said his son's love for flying started at a young age and he trained to be a pilot in Truro and Perranporth.
He added: "He spent a number of years here and I'm sure there will be people who still remember him.
"I would talk to my son every Sunday morning so even though we were apart I knew what he was up to.
"He never felt far from Cornwall. He had an interesting life and did what he wanted to do - he died doing what he loved doing."

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/former-...-plane-crash/story-30371884-detail/story.html

rynner2

Great Old One
Probe begins into South Australia Cessna aircraft crash which killed pilot Martin Scott of Cornwall
By G_WIlkinson | Posted: June 06, 2017

Air crash investigators have begun removing the wreckage of a crashed light aircraft which killed a pilot from Cornwall.
Chief pilot Martin Scott, 48, was killed in rural South Australia alongside trainee pilot Paul Daw, 65, and Australian civil aviation safety authority inspector Stephen Guerin, 56.

It was reported that the nine-seater Cessna Conquest made an emergency distress call shortly after take-off from an aerodrome at Renmark, east of Adelaide.

The three men were on a training exercise with charter company Rossair, which is based in Adelaide. The company grounded its aircraft after the tragedy on May 30.

etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/probe-b...-of-cornwall/story-30373559-detail/story.html

rynner2

Great Old One
Myanmar plane goes missing with more than 100 people on board
Our Foreign Staff
7 June 2017 • 1:01pm

A Myanmar army aircraft with 105 people on board went missing on Wednesday on a flight from a southern town to the city of Yangon, the military and civil aviation officials said.
The Chinese-made Y-8 transport plane left the coastal town of Myeik at 1:06 p.m local time heading north to Myanmar's largest city of Yangon.

It lost contact while flying over the Andaman sea, about 20 miles west of the town of Dawei, the military and civil aviation officials said.
"The total number of people on the military plane is 105. We received this information from the airplane before departure," said Kyaw Kyaw Htey, a civil aviation official at Myeik airport.

"We don't know what exactly happened to this plane after the loss of contact."
He said the weather had been "normal" with good visibility when the plane took off.
The military has mobilised the air force and navy to search for the aircraft.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/07/myanmar-plane-goes-missing-105-people-board/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Myanmar plane: Debris and bodies found after search

The Burmese army says debris and bodies have been found after a military plane went missing with 122 people on board.

Dispersed wreckage was found in the Andaman Sea, the military said in a statement on its Facebook page.

The aircraft, a Y-8 transporter made in China, was carrying 14 crew members as well as 106 military personnel and family members, including children.

The plane was flying from Myeik to Yangon and the debris was found in the sea off the coastal town of Dawei.

Communication with the flight was lost on Wednesday half an hour into the short routine trip.

According to the military, search teams on Thursday morning found the bodies of a man, woman and a child as well as a wheel, several life jackets and some luggage. The main body of the plane has not yet been found. ...
SOURCE: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40197318

rynner2

Great Old One
China Eastern plane lands at Sydney with hole in engine

A China Eastern Airlines plane has had to turn back to Sydney airport after a technical failure which left a hole in an engine casing.
Flight MU736 was heading from Sydney, Australia to Shanghai, but the pilot reported problems with the engine about one hour after taking off.

Passengers, who had to spend the night in Sydney, told media they smelt something burning inside the aircraft.
The Airbus A330 landed safely and there were no reports of injuries.
Images circulating on social media showed a large hole in the engine casing.
Several passengers said they had heard a loud sound coming from the left engine shortly after take-off.

One passenger told Australia's Seven News network: "All of a sudden we heard this noise... it kind of smelt like burning".
"I was really scared. Our group was terrified."

One woman on the flight told news agency Reuters: "The cabin crew went out and told us to fasten our seatbelts and tried to calm us down, but we were actually very panicked because we had no idea what was happening."
Passengers said the crew cleared the seats near the affected engine.

China Eastern Airlines said in a statement to the media that the crew had "observed the abnormal situation of the left engine and decided to return to Sydney airport immediately".
It added that all passengers would be placed on flights leaving on Monday.

Aviation safety authorities are now investigating.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40243766

rynner2

Great Old One
Another odd one:
Passengers' horror on Bristol easyJet flight as pilot asks for vote to take off with faulty engine
By G_Bartlett | Posted: June 12, 2017

Passengers on an easyJet flight were horrified when the pilot asked them to VOTE on whether to take off - as there was only a "50/50 chance" of both engines working.

The stunned holiday-makers were on the tarmac at Malaga airport, Spain, when the pilot asked for a show of hands as to whether they should take off.
The unnamed pilot told passengers there was a high chance that only one engine would be working.

However, EasyJet has now strongly denied the claims. One witness said it was possible there had been a 'misunderstanding'.

The claim - which came after the flight had already been delayed for 40 hours - left one exhausted passenger so traumatised that he threw up.

The tourists were supposed to fly to Bristol on Thursday (June 8) but finally boarded a plane on Saturday (June 10) in a state of relief - until the pilot told them he could not start one of the engines.
Still at the boarding gate, the pilot came out of the cockpit to explain the situation - and asked for a show of hands, according to a story at our sister site, Gloucester Live.

The passengers eventually flew back on a replacement aircraft on Saturday.

Passenger Terri Hill said: "He said we could stay on the plane - we'd been on it waiting for an hour at this point and been in Malaga for two nights extra already - or he'd see if we would be allowed to get off again.
"At this point there was a bit of a mutiny on the plane, an awful lot of shouting and people crying, and demanding to get off.
"There was about 12 people wanted to stay on, but the rest of us wanted to get off."

Mum-of-four Jemma Hooper, from Stroud, Glos, said: ""It was absolutely horrendous.
"They are putting people into a broken plane to make it look like they were trying."

etc, etc...

http://www.cornwalllive.com/passeng...aulty-engine/story-30384672-detail/story.html

RaM

Justified & Ancient
The pilot was giving them the option to stay on board or get off wile they tried to start the thing
not the option of trying to take off with only one engine running,
no one in there right mind or values their job or licence would try such a thing.

The pilot was giving them the option to stay on board or get off wile they tried to start the thing
not the option of trying to take off with only one engine running,
no one in there right mind or values their job or licence would try such a thing.
Ryanair would.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Today is the anniversary of a crash I don't recall hearing about at the time. (I may have been involved with Uni exams.)
Stockport air disaster: The holiday flight that ended in catastrophe
By Tom Mullen BBC News

Fifty [five] years ago a plane returning from Majorca plunged to the ground in Stockport, Greater Manchester, killing 72 people. Here survivors and eyewitnesses recall what remains one of Britain's worst, but lesser-known, air disasters.

The British Midland flight was full of returning holidaymakers bound for Manchester Airport when, on the morning of 4 June 1967, it suddenly lost power and began to fall.
Terrified residents watched the aircraft hurtling across rooftops, so low they could see people inside, banging on the windows.
Moments later it crashed on a small patch of open ground at Hopes Carr, on the edge of the town centre, striking a garage building and lighting up in a ball of fire.

Of its 84 passengers and crew, 72 died and the remaining 12 were seriously injured. They included a stewardess and the captain.
"We were met with a scene of sheer horror," said retired Stockport firefighter Mike Phillips, who was 21 at the time.
"There were bodies all over the place, and body parts. Members of the public were just screaming for us to do something."

The aircraft had narrowly avoided hitting rows of nearby houses, averting an even greater disaster. Incredibly, no-one on the ground was hurt.
"There was this thick black smoke," Mr Phillips said. "Hundreds of people arrived. I always say the real heroes are the civilians who got stuck in and were a real help to us.
"I saw the body of a young boy, and he just looked like there was nothing wrong with him. That stayed with me."

An air accident investigation found the cause of the crash to be "fuel starvation" due to a fault in the fuel lines and the Canadair C-4 Argonaut propeller aircraft's poor warning system.
It is still considered one of the worst air disasters in British aviation history, alongside Lockerbie in 1988 and Staines 16 years earlier.

Captain Harry Marlow was not blamed, and there were strong indications he made concerted efforts to steer the aircraft away from people's homes.
The former RAF display pilot suffered amnesia and never flew again. He died in 2009.

Survivor Harold Wood was 15 at the time of the crash.
Remembering the flight's final moments, he said: "We were banking quite steeply and I could see a gentleman coming out of a shop and getting into his little Anglia van and looking up at the aircraft. We were that low that I could really at that time tell you the registration.
"I thought to myself at this point 'we aren't going to make this'.

"And at this point this is where I can't remember a thing about the actual flight other than actually waking up in the aircraft itself, surrounded by flames and my brother next to me.
"I saw a hole in the side of the aircraft so I thought, right, let's get out of here."
Mr Wood's brother, Bill, also survived but his father did not.

View attachment 4800

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40095542
Odd. I don't recall that one either but I remember the Staines one very well - I was helping my dad in the garage and the news came on over the radio - late Sunday afternoon if I remember correctly. I was aware of the news quite young - I remember the James Hanratty conviction for example. And Aberfan and the moors murders, like JamesWhitehead .

rynner2

Great Old One
Biplane makes emergency landing on Bolton golf course

A pilot had to make an emergency landing on a golf course when his biplane reportedly developed a mechanical problem.
He is said to be "fine but shaken" after touching down on a fairway at Westhoughton Golf Club in Bolton.

An air ambulance passing overhead at the time also landed to provide help. :D
The biplane was later removed from the fairway so golfers could continue their games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-eng...makes-emergency-landing-on-bolton-golf-course

rynner2

Great Old One
Turbulence on Paris-China flight injures 26

At least 26 people were injured, four seriously, when turbulence hit a China Eastern Airlines flight from Paris on Sunday, state media reports.
The turbulence struck as flight MU774 was on its way to Kunming, in the southern Yunnan province.

Passengers suffered broken bones, cuts to the scalp and soft tissue injuries, the Xinhua state news agency reported.
China Eastern Airlines later said it was crucial passengers wear seatbelts as flights descend.

"I was on the flight, and I felt like I would not survive," the Hong Kong- based South China Morning Post quoted one passenger as saying on the Weibo microblogging site.
"Many people were injured, and among them, many had not buckled up."

Xinhua said (in Chinese) that two violent bumps and many small bumps occurred over about 10 minutes.
It said that during the turbulence, several passengers' heads and shoulders collided with the luggage racks, some luggage racks broke from the impact, and some luggage fell off the racks and hit customers.

The airline said on its Weibo account (in Chinese) that the Airbus A330, that had taken off from Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport, landed safely in Kunming.

A week ago, a China Eastern Airlines flight to Shanghai had to turn back to Sydney after a technical failure which left a hole in an engine casing.
The pilot reported problems with the engine of the plane, another Airbus A330, about one hour after taking off. Passengers told media they smelt something burning inside the aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-40318846

Is China Eastern airlines becoming an oriental version of United Airlines? :evil:

rynner2

Great Old One
AirAsia X flight diverts to Brisbane after suspected bird strike

An AirAsia X flight bound for Kuala Lumpur has been forced to turn back to Australia after a suspected bird strike left passengers shaken.
The jet, carrying 359 people, ran into trouble after taking off from the Gold Coast at 22:20 (12:20 GMT) on Monday.
Passengers reported hearing loud noises and seeing sparks coming from an engine before the flight landed safely in Brisbane an hour later.
"Two bird remains were found on the runway," the airline said.

One passenger, Tim Joga, said he heard "four or five bangs" before seeing an "orange light" outside.
"The plane started shuddering then there were a couple of loud bangs and a lot of light," he told the Sydney Morning Herald.
Another passenger, Eric Lim, said the incident happened immediately after take-off.
"Successive sparks boom boom boom went off and some people were crying and calling out 'oh my god oh my god'," he wrote on Facebook.

AirAsia X chief executive Benyamin Ismail said the pilot and crew took "swift action" to reassure passengers during the incident.
"AirAsia X will arrange for a special flight to transport all guests on Flight D7 207 to Kuala Lumpur as soon as possible," he said in a statement.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-40476927

Perhaps these symbols of ill-omen could cause accidents?

A veteran politician says an installation of traditional Inuit art outside Toronto airport resembles a symbol of ill-omen.

Piita Irniq says one of three inuksuks - stone cairns that are sometimes built in a human shape - outside Terminal One of Pearson International Airport was "put together wrong". He says its clearly defined legs and raised arms mean an "area where someone was killed or died by suicide," the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reports.

He says they should be rebuilt under Inuit guidance or taken down. Mr Irniq's opinion carries weight, as he has been active in the political and cultural life of what is now the Nunavut territory of Canada's far north since the 1970s, and is himself a noted builder of inuksuks.

These cairns, also known as inukshuks, were originally used for orientation in the often featureless Arctic tundra. They are of great cultural significant to the Inuit, and one appears on the Nunavut flag.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-41427670

They all walked away from this! Vid at link.

Plane skids off runway at Trabzon Airport in Turkey
A plane has skidded off the runway at Trazbon Airport with its nose nearly in the sea.

No passengers or crew were hurt in the incident, which may have been caused by a bird strike, reports say.

Pegasus Airlines said that the Boeing 737-800 aircraft, flying from Ankara to Trabzon, "had a runway excursion incident".

• 2h ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...zon-airport-in-turkey?ocid=socialflow_twitter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
They all walked away from this! Vid at link.

Plane skids off runway at Trabzon Airport in Turkey
A plane has skidded off the runway at Trazbon Airport with its nose nearly in the sea.

No passengers or crew were hurt in the incident, which may have been caused by a bird strike, reports say.

Pegasus Airlines said that the Boeing 737-800 aircraft, flying from Ankara to Trabzon, "had a runway excursion incident".

• 2h ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...zon-airport-in-turkey?ocid=socialflow_twitter
I bet some pants were beyond rescue though.

At least they had the door for a while. Ryanair charges extra for doors.

A Nigerian airline has blamed a passenger after one of its aircraft doors fell off shortly after landing.

The flight from Lagos to Abuja was taxiing on the runway when the emergency exit door came away.

Dana Air denied that it was caused by a mechanical fault, and said the door could not fall off "without a conscious effort by a passenger to open it".

But one passenger told the BBC that everyone on board had denied tampering with the door.

Dapo Sanwo, from Lagos, said: "The flight was noisy with vibrations from the floor panel. I noticed the emergency door latch was loose and dangling."

"When we landed and the plane was taxiing back to the park point, we heard a poof-like explosion, followed by a surge of breeze and noise. It was terrible."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42990141?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Holy smoke!

A co-pilot smoking an e-cigarette on an Air China flight caused the plane to start a rapid emergency descent, investigators have said.

They say he tried to hide the fact that he was smoking but accidentally shut off the air-conditioning, causing oxygen levels to fall.

The crew on Tuesday's flight from Hong Kong to the city of Dalian released oxygen masks and brought the plane more than 6,500m (21,000ft) lower.

It later returned to cruising altitude.

An initial probe by China's Civil Aviation Administration in China has shown that the co-pilot tried to turn off a fan to stop smoke reaching the passenger cabin without telling the captain, but turned off the air-conditioning unit instead.

Passengers say they were told to fasten their seat belts as the plane had to descend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44818617

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Holy smoke!

A co-pilot smoking an e-cigarette on an Air China flight caused the plane to start a rapid emergency descent, investigators have said.

They say he tried to hide the fact that he was smoking but accidentally shut off the air-conditioning, causing oxygen levels to fall.

The crew on Tuesday's flight from Hong Kong to the city of Dalian released oxygen masks and brought the plane more than 6,500m (21,000ft) lower.

It later returned to cruising altitude.

An initial probe by China's Civil Aviation Administration in China has shown that the co-pilot tried to turn off a fan to stop smoke reaching the passenger cabin without telling the captain, but turned off the air-conditioning unit instead.

Passengers say they were told to fasten their seat belts as the plane had to descend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44818617
The smoking co-pilot might be lucky to escape with his life after that.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
The smoking co-pilot might be lucky to escape with his life after that.
I can't imagine he'll keep his job, or find it easy to ever get employment in that area again. It is actually a mind-bogglingly stupid thing to do, though there have been rumours over the last few years of Chinese pilots smoking, though these days the country as a whole actually has a pretty reasonable record on airline safety (I believe so, think I read it yesterday), which was far from the case a few years ago.

A rather strange accident may have caused this aviation accident.

A Sydney seaplane crash that killed a multi-millionaire FTSE 100 chief executive on New Year’s Eve is believed to have been caused after one of the British passengers knocked out the pilot.

Air crash investigators suspect that the plane’s sole pilot became unconscious when one of the passengers hit him, possibly while trying to take a photograph.

Richard Cousins, 58, chief executive of Compass Group; his fiancée Emma Bowden, 48, a magazine editor; her daughter Heather, 11; and Mr Cousins’s two sons William, 25 and Edward, 23 all died when the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver amphibious aircraft flew dramatically off course, despite clear conditions, and nosedived into the Hawkesbury River north of Sydney. Gareth Morgan, 44, the Canadian pilot, was also killed. ...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...assenger-may-have-knocked-out-pilot-3gxfpcz0j

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That could go under ridiculous accidents too. Ridiculous isn't always funny, in this case.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Must’ve been a pretty good clout to knock I’m unconscious not much room to get a swing at anything in a beaver cockpit

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Indonesian air crash this morning.
A modern aircraft with experienced crew.
Catastrophes like this simply shouldn't happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46014463
They shouldn't but they will. Murphy's law.

All we can hope is that they get less and less frequent as various opportunities for error get stopped up. The good news is that even now it usually takes multiple failures and mistakes to cause a crash.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Re the recent helicopter crash look carefully at 44 to 48 secs below the helicopter just before it goes into the spin, you will see a very fast flash going right to left below the aircraft, a blade from the tail rotor maybe?
It's only momentary and moving very fast maybe only in one or two frames but it's there.