Aviation Accidents

markrkingston1

Ephemeral Spectre
Re the recent helicopter crash look carefully at 44 to 48 secs below the helicopter just before it goes into the spin, you will see a very fast flash going right to left below the aircraft, a blade from the tail rotor maybe?
It's only momentary and moving very fast maybe only in one or two frames but it's there.
Yup, I saw that. Looks like an insect flying from right to left fairly close to the camera to me.

It does not appear to me to be coming directly from the helicopter.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Given the way the 'copter goes into a spin its very likely that the tail rotor failed. Not a good way to die.

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
Re the recent helicopter crash look carefully at 44 to 48 secs below the helicopter just before it goes into the spin, you will see a very fast flash going right to left below the aircraft, a blade from the tail rotor maybe?
It's only momentary and moving very fast maybe only in one or two frames but it's there.

Well spotted.

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
Turn out that if the tail rotor breaks when you have 130mph forward momentum you can fight it but with no forward momentum you can do nothing.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
A near accident, and a (thankfully) missed opportunity for a strange disappearance story ...

Sleeping pilot overflies Australian island destination
A commercial pilot is under investigation after falling asleep in the cockpit of a freight plane and overflying his Australian island destination by 46 kilometers (29 miles) ...

The pilot, who has not been identified, was the only person aboard the twin-propeller Piper PA-31 Navajo Chieftain and was flying on autopilot during the early morning flight on Nov. 8 from Devonport city on Tasmania 250 kilometers (155 miles) northwest to King Island in Bass Strait ...

The pilot “unintentionally fell asleep while in command of the aircraft,” the Melbourne-based airline said.

“The issue became apparent when air traffic control was unable to contact the pilot in-flight, and the aircraft traveled past the intended destination point while operating on autopilot,” the statement said. ...

The pilot landed safely on King Island, Vortex Air said. ...

Vortex Air said the 6:20 a.m. flight had been the first on the pilot’s first day back at work after taking leave. He continued flying that day.

The newspaper said the pilot reported for duty despite having had little or no sleep the previous night due to a personal crisis.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/49ad75212fa145acbba1986302f79e88

I guess this counts as an aviation accident.

Plane stupid: Man is 'hit by light aircraft wing' after recording its takeoff while standing on the runway
  • Onlooker tried to film takeoff at Turmalina Park in Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil
  • Small plane's left wing is knocked out of place after apparently hitting the man
  • He was taken to hospital with minor injuries; believed to have some broken ribs
By NICK ENOCH FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:39, 25 January 2019 | UPDATED: 15:45, 25 January 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ing-runway.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
A bit suspicious that the colonel rules out anti-malarial drugs. Some brands have caused just that sort of strange behaviour.
A good friend of mine who's travelled in Asia a lot stopped taking anti-malarial drugs as he was having delusions. He knows the danger of malaria (and he's had dengue fever so he knows the dangers of mosquito-borne diseases) but he felt that was the safer of the two options. When I read about the Alana Cutland case that thought never occurred to me, and it's almost as if the Colonel's ruling them out before actually confirming whether they were being taken. I've just looked at the NHS website and it says there's a high risk of malaria through the whole of Madagascar all-year round, so there's a pretty good chance that she was taking something...

RaM

Justified & Ancient
She did well to manage to get the door open far enough to jump out,
If it was like the Cessnas I have flown in the door can come open but
it will usually only open a inch or two and is quite difficult to open further,
I had one come open during aerobatics and once open I could not pull it
closed, so tied to push it further open to get a swing at it so to speak, took
quite a lot of strength to get it closed. the aircraft I flew in were stressed for
aerobatics and had a handle in front of the door this pulled the hinges out
of the door so the door could then be jettisoned in emergency but I don't
know if this is fitted to other models,

Strewth! Accident avoided.

A student pilot in Australia safely landed a light aircraft during a flying lesson, after his instructor passed out at the controls.

Western Australian man Max Sylvester made a distress call to air traffic control about an hour into his flight on Saturday when his teacher collapsed beside him.

Operators at an airport in Perth helped him guide the aircraft to the ground.

Mr Sylvester was later praised for his quick response and composure.

In his emergency call, a recording of which was later made public, he describes his teacher's condition before taking instructions on flying the plane.

"I'm trying to keep him up but he keeps falling down," he tells the operator.

When asked if he knows how to operate the Cessna aircraft, he replies: "This is my first lesson."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-49547179

Tribble

Furry Idiot
This could have been very, very messy...

Two freefalling parachutists nearly collided in mid-air with two US fighter planes travelling at almost 350mph (560km/h), a report has revealed.
The skydivers recorded the aircraft pass under them on a helmet camera as they fell at 120mph (190km/h).
The pilots from RAF Lakenheath should have been told by air traffic control the Cambridgeshire parachute site was active, said the UK Airprox Board.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-49664560