• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
This linked article says the mystery is solved!

Also in the comments section of the original article, Dr. Clarke says he has seen the plane himself and also identified it as a Hercules.
That may explain the 21st century Yorkshire sightings, as the photos do match a Herc, but the 20th century reports from Derbyshire (on Dr. Clarke's other blog, above) seem to describe a Lancaster or a Liberator, with the distinctive twin tail fins.

What's interesting is that the more recent Derbyshire sightings, described in my post above, #57, do seem to describe a Lanc/liberator pattern, and one of the witnesses mentioned (George Furnace) has the experience to discriminate between a Lancaster and a Liberator.

I'd love to go up there and mooch around with my camera, but I'm too old now for hill-walking... :(
I pass the baton on...

This isn't actually a haunted wartime airfield, but might be close enough to be of interest.

I've heard of a ghost that is associated with a hotel in the north-east of England. The hotel was the officers' mess for the nearby RAF airfield, which is now Teesside Airport. I first read a very detailed account of the haunting on a forum that was devoted to pilots and flying, but unfortunately can't track down that particular thread. It gave a number of accounts from individuals as well as providing a very detailed description of the hotel itself. I did come across the post that I'm including below on another forum, the link for the originating thread is:

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/do-you-believe-or-not-in-ghosts.43032/page-4

The Hotel at the airport Middleton St George (now Durham Teesside Airport) formerly part of the building was the RAF Bomber Mess. A room is said to be haunted by one of the Canadian WW2 pilots and later 1950s Meteor pilot . People staying there on their own wake up in the middle of the night feeling very cold with a feeling there is someone watching them, several people current KLM flight crew refuse to stay in that room. Several people also claim to have seen the man such as the woman who's story of her mother who saw a ghost in their quarter at RAF Middleton St George (aka Teesside airport).

Her mother was actually chatting to it, thinking it was her husband (it was behind her) when she was sitting at the dressing table!. She actually was not as shocked as she thought she would be afterwards! When she found that her husband had nipped out for a quick smoke!

"I heard a story about the hotel at Tees Side airport when it used to be the Officers' Mess, RAF Middleton St Geaorge.

"IIRQ a Meteor overshot the runway and crashed into the corner of the building. The pilot survived the crash, but as he was clambering out of the wreckage a large piece of masonary fell in him and killed him. Evidently the particular room is still haunted" They even know the Ghost's name is Raymond Norman..

Incidently one of the RCAF Bomber Squadrons based at Middelton St George in the early part of the war (1943) was No 428 Squadron named the Ghost Squadron!

a student on the Meteor conversion course at No 205 AFS, Middleton St George in the early 1950s was killed attempting (it was thought) a single engined touch-and -go landing. This manoeuvre was never a starter. Crit speed at full thrust on one engine and with full opposite rudder applied (ie with the rudder hard up against the mechanical stops)was about 130 kts. Touch down would have been at about 100 kts.

The poor sod ploughed into the Mess through what was then the ladies' room (now the bar of the Hotel St George). The MO at the time opined that he had survived the impact but had been killed by falling masonry (no bone domes in those days).

On my last visit the barman said that hosties from an airline operating from Teeseside would not accept room reservations at that end of the hotel, because the ghost of the student haunts the corridors. I have tried to identify, without success so far, the aircraft's tail number and the name of the pilot. I wonder how one induces the poor soul (if indeed there is one) to RIP. Sounds like a Bell, Book and Candle job.

I suggested to my vicar that I might try my old Asymmetric Long Briefing, which might at least bore the poor ghoul into quiescence.
The vicar was not particularly amused.

MIddleton was the nucleus of a Canadian Lancaster group during WW2. They hold occasional reunions there and there are some interesting photgraphs around the walls of the bar. Somehow the hotel has managed to retain some of the atmosphere of a mess. Worth a passing visit. :sad:

If/when I find the original account I read I'll post it below.

ETA: Damn! I've just realised that Bororeturn1 posted about this story further up the thread. I should have read the whole thing before adding my tuppenceworth. I hate people who don't read a thread before adding to it - and now I'm guilty of the same heinous crime! My apologies.

Last edited:
If/when I find the original account I read I'll post it below.
This airfield has been the subject of a documentary or similar - something like Strange But True. Watched it within the last couple of years on youtube.
No doubt someone will know the exact title and link.

They get worse at they go on though. He seems to move away from telling ghost stories to coming up with some bonkers theries IIRC.

I've read these books (Ghost Stations) and can confirm that while that material they contain is very enjoyable and informative, they are extremely difficult to read because of the author's seeming complete indifference to punctuation. I'm at work at the moment or would include a quote to illustrate, but the lack of punctuation (or over-abundance of it) makes it often difficult to understand what the author is actually trying to say.

If. You. Know what.

I mean.

;)

Also, I agree with drbates (above) the quality deteriorates as the series goes on and the author lets his own theories get in the way of the ghost stories. A further criticism would be that whilst the early books had original content, the later ones tend to rehash those earlier stories (although they do provide further details or newer accounts of the hauntings).

To conclude this book review :) I'd say that flawed though they are, they're very interesting reading and probably constitute the go-to publications when it comes to UK airfield hauntings. It might be best to try to get your local library to get them in for you before going out and buying them though.

This airfield has been the subject of a documentary or similar - something like Strange But True. Watched it within the last couple of years on youtube.

Ah, I must have missed that. Thanks for letting me know.

The account I read was (I'm almost positive) on the Internet, though.

If I can track it down I'll post a link - as I recall it was very good.

which is now Teesside Airport.

oooh! My mother lectured at the teacher training college that was there in the 1960s/1970s. Student accommodation was in the barracks (nicer than it sounds!) ...... and I sometimes got to stay in the ex officers quarters :D

Anybody read this? I noticed a copy for sale.

hd_100945499_01.jpg

"Aviation history abounds in mysteries. Alexander McKee does not merely retell the stories; he has researched extensively, enabling him to suggest solutions that new evidence has brought to light, or that his own flying experience would lead him to suspect. But whether or not these mysteries can be solved, Into The Blue makes compelling reading for all who enjoy tales of adventure, heroism and the unexplained. It will particularly enthral those who, like the author, have felt something of the awe and exhilaration of flight."

I have always suspected that the flyer here would become an airfield goat....

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

Yeats of course.

I have always suspected that the flyer here would become an airfield goat....

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate
Those that I guard I do not love;
My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.
Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.

Yeats of course.

There's no doubt where that bloke expects to end up, being as it's called 'An Irish Airman Foresees His Death'.

It begins 'I know that I shall meet my fate', rather as Handel has the the confident sinner proclaiming 'I know that my Redeemer liveth.' Perfect faith.

you don't go with my new goat hypothesis? :(

Go on Trevor, please show us the whole photo. Your excerpt looks like a piece of abstract art at the moment, it's hard to see what's the plane and what's the figure. And where was your plane - in a museum somewhere? And did you know any spooky stories about the plane before or after you took / examined the photo?

We await with bated breath.

Go on Trevor, please show us the whole photo. Your excerpt looks like a piece of abstract art at the moment, it's hard to see what's the plane and what's the figure. And where was your plane - in a museum somewhere? And did you know any spooky stories about the plane before or after you took / examined the photo?

Yup, we need context.

Lol sorry, it says photo was too large to upload. It's the Lincoln bomber in RAF cosford.

Lol sorry, it says photo was too large to upload. It's the Lincoln bomber in RAF cosford.

Attachments

• 20170802_101108.jpg
    20170802_101108.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 48
Tip: If I find a photo is too big I post in on Facebook, copy it to my desktop and then delete it from Facebook. Makes it smaller.

Or you could download a freebie bitmap editor (paint.net) and use the Resize feature, then save it as a smaller png file.

Or you could download a freebie bitmap editor (paint.net) and use the Resize feature, then save it as a smaller png file.

I usually ask Techy to ensmallen pictures for me. The Facebook method is for when he's inconsiderately still st work.

Ghost passengers disembarking from an invisible plane?
I'm sure there's a logical explanation ...

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wei...tom-plane-scary-video-phuket-thailand-youtube

If you read far enough into this Singapore-based forum thread:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/e...stly-video-captured-thai-airport-5665659.html

... you'll find claims that:

- the airport isn't Phuket (Thailand), but rather Hong Kong.
- the alleged gate 206 doesn't exist at Phuket (I've confirmed this) but does exist at Hong Kong
- the video was in fact made by a Thai pilot while his plane was parked at an adjacent airbridge / gangway / gate oriented parallel to the one seen in the video
- the people walking up the gangway in the video are the reflection of people walking up the neighboring gangway (where the pilot / videographer's plane is parked)
- both gangways are of the telescoping type with transparent walls
- the gangway in the video was unlit, allowing its glass(?) sidewalls to reflect the image from the neighboring gangway
- the pilot made the video because he though it was a cool illusion - that's it; that's all
- the pilot has explained all this (in Thai; no link given) on his Facebook page

Back