Back From The Dead (People)

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
'Dead' Girl, 3, Wakes Up At Her Own Funeral

A three-year-old girl pronounced dead after a fever has apparently woken up at her own funeral in the Philippines.

The girl was declared clinically dead by medical personnel in Zamboanga del Sur, Mindanao, on Friday.

But during the funeral service on Saturday she apparently began moving her head before her family took her out of her coffin.

Senior Inspector Heidil Teelan, police chief in Aurora, told The Philippine Star the girl had been suffering from a severe fever when she was taken to a medical clinic.

He told the newspaper: "During that time, the attending clinic personnel and physician confirmed that the young patient had no more pulse and was clinically dead last Saturday morning about 9am."

He added that after the little girl reportedly moved her head, family members discovered she had a pulse and immediately gave her water before going for medical help.

The condition of the girl was unknown.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dead-girl-3-w ... ml#HmlQhtF

krakenten

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that these cases seem to cluster in places with really bad doctors?

Greece is infamous for poor quality health care(there may be exceptions)and there are a lot of these cases there.

The terrible poverty of the Phillipines likewise.

Death is difficult to diagnose-it's accepted that the only true proof of death is decomposition. The true purpose of embalming is to insure death.

Gilgamesh sat by his friend Enkidu until a maggot fell from his nose-then he was sure he was truly dead.

Zombie legends may be rooted in fact.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
'Dead' Brazilian Starts Moving In Body Bag, Revealing He's Very Much Alive

Valdelucio Goncalves gives the thumbs up after he was declared dead by doctors in Salvador, Brazil.

Valdelucio Goncalves may have died from a heart attack, but it's his brother who will likely need a heart checkup after finding his supposedly deceased sibling alive in a body bag.

Doctors declared Goncalves, 54, dead in Salvador, Brazil after "respiratory and multiple organ failure," the Daily Mail reported this week. His family was notified and made arrangements for the funeral later that day.

Goncalves' brother, Walterio, was let into the morgue to dress the body when he noticed something weird.

"As I got closer I could see it wriggling. Then I saw it raising and falling as if he was breathing," he told the Mirror. "I went crazy and shouted for the medical team, the nurse, so they could see what was happening. They checked him and confirmed that he was still alive."

The staff had to rush to free him; his body had been tied up and his nose and ears were filled with cotton wool, according to the BBC.

The Menandro de Farias Hospital, whose doctors declared Goncalves dead, has launched an investigation.

His niece, Patricia Cintra, told local newspaper Correio 24 Horas that the family was not only mortified -- they'd paid for everything.

"We had even bought a coffin and paid a deposit for the funeral," she said.

Still, she said her prayers had been answered when she found out her uncle was alive. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer three months before the heart attacks. ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/2 ... 16283.html

krakenten

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
They should keep the coffin, they'll need it someday.

Likewise, the funeral-paid for, just postponed.

Let's hope this man enjoys the extra time he has been granted.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
krakenten said:
They should keep the coffin, they'll need it someday.

Likewise, the funeral-paid for, just postponed.

Let's hope this man enjoys the extra time he has been granted.
Think of the problems he will have convincing the Social Security Administration that hes still alive.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Polish woman wakes in morgue after being declared dead

A 91-year-old Polish woman who spent 11 hours in cold storage in a morgue after being declared dead has returned to her family, complaining of feeling cold.
Officials say Janina Kolkiewicz was declared dead after an examination by the family doctor.

However, morgue staff were astonished to notice movement in her body bag while it was in storage. The police have launched an investigation.
Back home, Ms Kolkiewicz warmed up with a bowl of soup and two pancakes.

Her family and doctor said they were in shock, according to the website of the Polish newspaper, Dziennik Wschodni.
The woman's niece, in the eastern Polish town of Ostrow Lubelski, summoned the doctor after coming home one morning to find that her aunt did not seem to be breathing or to have a pulse.

After examining the woman, the family doctor declared her dead and wrote out her death certificate.
The body was taken to the morgue and preparations were made for a funeral in two days' time.
"I was sure she was dead," Dr Wieslawa Czyz told the television channel TVP.
"I'm stunned, I don't understand what happened. Her heart had stopped beating, she was no longer breathing," Dr Czyz said.

However, the morgue staff called some hours later to report that the woman was not yet dead, her niece told Dziennik Wschodni.
The death certificate has been declared invalid, the newspaper says.
Ms Kolkiewicz told her relatives she felt "normal, fine" after returning home.

She is apparently unaware of how near she came to the grave.
"My aunt has no inkling of what happened since she has late-stage dementia," Bogumila Kolkiewicz, her niece, told local media.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30048087

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Dale Hopfinger ran into a problem while trying to vote in Michigan: he was told he was dead.

An election worker even told him that local records listed the date of his demise as September 25.

After some persuasion, Hopfinger says officials finally allowed him to cast a ballot last week in Lee Township.

Hopfinger told WNEM-TV he’s been working to figure out what happened, and that the Social Security Administration told him it was likely a clerical error.

The 48-year-old said he plans to visit a Social Security office in Bay City on Friday to try to settle the issue.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 98250.html

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
How a farewell cuddle revived a dying baby
Infant boy born 14 weeks prematurely brought to life by 'skin to skin' contact with parents
By Colin Freeman, Chief Foreign Correspondent
5:25PM GMT 13 Mar 2015

A couple who had been told by doctors that their baby had died during birth brought him back to life again after giving his body a farewell cuddle.

Kate and David Ogg were devastated when maternity ward staff informed them that one of their two twins had stopped breathing after being born 14 weeks premature. Told that he had just a few moments left with a beating heart, they gathered his warm body in their arms for a tender embrace. Mrs Ogg ordered her husband to clamber into the bed and take off his shirt so that the infant could have extra warmth.

To their astonishment, the child suddenly began to move, his breath getting stronger rather than ebbing away. Hospital staff then leapt into action and nursed him into a full recovery. :)

His remarkable tale of survival took place in 2010, but has only just been revealed by his parents, who live in Queensland, Australia. The boy, named Jamie, is now a healthy, bouncy five-year-old, whose siblings joke that he used to be dead, but is now alive.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...w-a-farewell-cuddle-revived-a-dying-baby.html

JimELUCIER

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
For most who have died and come back, they say the same things. One of them is that "Those who are meant to go, will go. And those who are meant to stay, will stay. There is no in between." Life appears to throw us a curve ball every once in a while.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Reaction score
A grieving husband who believed he had buried his wife after she was killed in a road accident was shocked when she popped up on a popular TV programme.

Abragh Mohamed held a funeral for his beloved wife after she was thought to have been killed in a crash.

He was told by doctors in a Casablanca hospital that the woman, who hasn't been named, had passed away from her "serious" injuries.

But she turned up on a TV programme designed to reconnect loved ones who have lost contact over the years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/husbands-shock-dead-wife-turns-7530861

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
These "false" burials always beg the question, who was it who was actually buried and why weren't they missed? It's like that film Millennium where pretend dead bodies are placed in aeroplane crashes so the potential victims can be saved. But less elaborate.

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
'Miracle' as girl declared dead in Michigan Uber murders walks out of hospital
Abigail Kopf, a 14-year-old who was declared dead after being shot in the head by the Michigan 'Uber murderer' last month stuns doctors by walking out of hospital
By Barney Henderson, New York
8:37AM GMT 11 Mar 2016

A teenage girl who was declared dead after being shot in the head by the man charged with carrying out a spate of murders in Michigan last month has miraculously walked out of hospital.
Abigail Kopf was shot through the right-hand side of her head on the evening of February 20 as she made her way home from a musical with a close family friend described as her honorary grandmother.

Jason Dalton has admitted shooting six randomly chosen victims in and around the city of Kalamazoo – attacks apparently carried out over hours during which he ferried passengers around the city as an Uber driver.

Abigail's heart stopped and despite the frantic efforts of several doctors and medical professionals, she was declared dead at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo later that night.
Her parents, Vickie and Gene Kopf, were allowed into the operating room to say goodbye to their daughter.
It was a scene that "no horror movie will ever match," Mr Kopf told the Battle Creek Enquirer, while Mrs Kopf said: "It's an image no human being will ever get out of their head.
"And every night, when I close my eyes, that's the image I see. And I don't know if it will ever fade."

However, as Mrs Kopf lay her head on what she thought was her dead child's still chest, she detected a sign of life – a breath or a feint heartbeat.
"I felt that she was still there, even though they kept telling me she wasn't," she explained.
The doctors rushed back in and Abigail was placed on a ventilator.
Mr and Mrs Kopf were warned that she could be brain-dead and Mrs Kopf asked staff what the procedure was for donating her daughter's organs if necessary.

But, hours later, as the parents sat with their daughter still fearing the worst, Mrs Kopf held Abigail's hand and felt her squeeze back.
The doctors again advised caution, stating that it could be a twitch that can happen as patients fade away.
Abigail kept squeezing, though, and, when Mrs Kopf asked her if she could hear her, the girl entwined her fingers with her mother's.
She underwent emergency brain surgery that night, which was successful, and so began the path to recovery.

Abigail opened her eyes for the first time last week and was released from hospital and taken to a rehabilitation centre on Wednesday.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...higan-Uber-murders-walks-out-of-hospital.html

GerdaWordyer

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A grieving husband who believed he had buried his wife after she was killed in a road accident was shocked when she popped up on a popular TV programme.

Abragh Mohamed held a funeral for his beloved wife after she was thought to have been killed in a crash.

He was told by doctors in a Casablanca hospital that the woman, who hasn't been named, had passed away from her "serious" injuries.

But she turned up on a TV programme designed to reconnect loved ones who have lost contact over the years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/husbands-shock-dead-wife-turns-7530861
Everybody Comes to Rick's

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
The World War One soldiers who came back from the dead

Households in World War One would await the telegraph boy's knock with a cold fear. Worlds were ripped apart with a few brief words announcing a serviceman's death, with follow-up letters from commanding officers rarely filling in enough of the blanks. But some families went through needless heartbreak. Sons, brothers and fathers were reported dead when they were very much alive.

One of those was Pte Fred Joslin, who was 19 when he was "killed" in machine gun fire. His mother heard from the War Office and there had already been a church service in his memory when he wrote home from a hospital in Malta.

How did these mix-ups happen?
Sometimes comrades genuinely thought a fellow soldier was dead when in fact he was injured. This is what happened to Pte Joslin - who eventually lived to the age of 95.

In his memoirs he said:

"I was hit by a burst of machine gun fire and thrown very forcibly to the ground where I lay on my stomach. The blood from my wounds in the back and shoulder ran around my ears.
"It appeared to those seeing me that the blood was coming from my ears and experience had proved that wounded soldiers bleeding from the ears had little chance of survival."

He was paralysed - and the next day a lost British major heard him shouting and rescued him.

His mother was "shell-shocked" by receiving a letter apparently from her dead son - and since the handwriting was that of a nurse Fred had dictated his words to, rather than in his own script, even the War Office wouldn't accept Pte Joslin was alive.

There were also cases of mistaken identity, says historian David Bilton, who wrote about the subject in Reading in the Great War 1914-1916 and Vol II, 1917-1919.
"Soldiers used to exchange items with their best friends when they were going over the top as good luck charms. They would wear one another's identity bracelet, or give each other their last letter home.
"Survivors who recovered bodies from the battleground would look for property on the body to identify them.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36725501

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
How a donated watch revealed the survival of ship's cook feared killed in WWII sinking of SS Athenia
Patrick Sawer, Senior Reporter
19 January 2017 • 2:59pm

Fearing the end was near Sidney Worrall knew there was one last thing he had to do.
His ship the SS Athenia had just been fatally damaged by the enemy - becoming the first British vessel to be sunk by the Germans at the outbreak of World War Two - and Mr Worrall had suffered horrendous burns when oil exploded in the galleys.
With what he thought was his last breath the Scottish ship’s cook handed over his most prized possession - his watch - to a fellow lifeboat passenger, urging him to look after it as long as he lived.

Gerry Hutchinson, a Canadian passenger who had helped Mr Worrall into the lifeboat, fulfilled his dying wish, holding on to the watch and keeping it in immaculate condition until his own death last year.

But only now has it emerged that, despite his wounds, Mr Worrall in fact survived the sinking of the SS Athenia.
The discovery was made following an appeal by Glasgow’s Riverside Museum for more information about the watch’s original owner.
The appeal was seen by members of Mr Worrall’s family, who have now came forward to reveal that, far from being killed at sea, he had gone on to live a full and active life before dying in 1973. :)

The SS Athenia, a Glasgow-built transatlantic passenger liner sailing between the UK and Canada, was sunk off the coast of Galway, Ireland, by a torpedo from a German submarine on the day that war was declared on September 3, 1939.
The attack killed 117 people and left mental and physical scars on those who, like Mr Worrall and Mr Hutchinson, were lucky enough to survive.

Following the death of Mr Hutchinson, who had gone on to become a church minister, his son Rob - aware of Mr Worrall’s poignant gesture years earlier - decided to return the watch to the SS Athenia's home town and donated it to the Riverside Museum.

In response to the appeal by museum curator Emily Malcolm, family members revealed that Mr Worrall had not only survived the attack on the SS Athenia but, after being pensioned out of the Merchant Navy due to his injuries, volunteered to return to sea as part of the war effort.
At the conflict’s end he worked as a hospital porter at Law Hospital, Lanarkshire, married and went on to have a daughter - but he never told his family about the watch he had left in the hands of a stranger.

Among those to come forward in response to the museum's appeal were his granddaughter Cath Muir, who said:"I remember him as a child. He was very badly burned when the Athenia was attacked and had many skin grafts on his face and legs. He told us that they were his maps of the world.”

Mrs Muir, Newarthill, North Lanarkshire, added: “After returning from Galway he was pensioned out of the Merchant Navy due to the injuries he sustained, but he returned to sea to serve in the war, he felt it was his duty to do so, but that meant he had to forgo part of his pension.”

In a further happy twist several members of Mr Worrall’s extended family came to know each other for the first time as a result of answering the museum’s appeal, including Dr Ernie Worrall, a nephew.
He told how his father had told him how Mr Worrall’s mother had not known whether the cook was alive or dead until she saw newsreel reports of his survival and rescue.

Dr Worrall, 74, said: "A day or so after the sinking, my grandmother's neighbour saw on the Pathe newsreel that night my uncle being landed as a survivor in Galway. At the end of the picture show she told my grandmother, who at that point would have been unaware whether her son had been killed or had been rescued.
"My grandmother hot-footed it down to the cinema, just as the manager was closing up for the night, and he kindly opened up and re-ran the newsreel for her while she sat in this empty cinema and was able to be reassured that he was indeed alive." :D

The watch will go on display as part of an updated SS Athenia exhibition at the Riverside this summer.
Gerry Hutchinson’s son Rob said: "I am delighted that the museum has been able to draw together the two ends of this very long story.
“I look forward to one day seeing the museum's display and possibly meeting Sid's family. My father would have been so pleased."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ealed-survival-ships-cook-feared-killed-wwii/

A remarkable tale! :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a case where the allegedly deceased had the good fortune to start snoring just before they were to undertake his autopsy ... :cskull:

Man Declared Dead Snores to Life Right Before His Autopsy
A man in Spain who was declared dead by three doctors was actually still alive, which doctors discovered only when he began snoring on the autopsy table, according to news reports.

The man, 29-year-old Gonzalo Montoya Jiménez, was a prisoner at a jail in northern Spain. He was found unconscious in his cell on Sunday (Jan. 7), and was believed to be dead, according to the Spanish news outlet La Voz de Asturias. Three forensic doctors allegedly examined Jiménez and certified his death.

But four hours later, right before Jiménez's autopsy, he was heard making noises on the autopsy table, and found to still be alive. This discovery was not a moment too soon — Jiménez's body even had the marks painted on it to guide the autopsy, a family member told La Voz de Asturias.

He has now regained consciousness and is in the intensive care unit (ICU) at the Central University Hospital of Asturias (HUCA) in Oviedo, Spain. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/61385-man-declared-dead-really-alive.html

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
"Soldiers used to exchange items with their best friends when they were going over the top as good luck charms. They would wear one another's identity bracelet, or give each other their last letter home.
"Survivors who recovered bodies from the battleground would look for property on the body to identify them.
What could go wrong?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
A man from the small village of Santa Teresa in Paraguay returned home after three days away to find his family mourning a body they thought was his.

Juan Ramón Alfonso Penayo, 20, had last been seen on Thursday leaving the family home on the border with Brazil.

The area is hotly disputed between a number of drug gangs and when Mr Penayo did not return, his family assumed he had met with trouble.

When police found a charred body on Sunday, they concluded it was him.

The family held a wake in the village only for Mr Penayo to turn up and find them grieving over the coffin they thought held his body.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-44532466

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Lucky she wasn't frozen stiff.

A South African woman is recovering in hospital after being discovered alive in a mortuary fridge.

The woman was taken to Carletonville morgue, in Gauteng province, having been declared dead by paramedics following a road accident.

Ambulance company Distress Alert said she had shown "no form of life", South Africa's TimesLive website reports.

But when a morgue worker returned to check on the body in the fridge, he found the woman was breathing.

An official has confirmed to the BBC the woman is now being treated in hospital after being referred by forensics officers. She has not been named.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44681264

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I hope he got tea and sympathy when he returned.

A Kazakh family was recently coming to terms with the violent and mysterious death of their elderly relative, when he just turned up at home.

"When Uncle Aigali walked through the door hale and hearty two months after we'd buried him, my daughter Saule nearly dropped dead of a heart attack," Esengali Supygaliev told the Azh.kz news site.

The 63-year-old had left home one June morning and didn't come back. "Aigali had been known to wander off for a week of two before", Esengali said, so the family waited a month before contacting the police - who in due course asked them to identify a badly-burnt body.

Tea and sympathy

DNA tests showed that these were the mortal remains of Aigali Supygaliev "with 99.2% certainty", the authorities said, and issued an official death certificate.

In September the family buried Aigali in the Muslim cemetery of Tomarly, their home town just north of the Caspian Sea port of Atyrau.

"We held a wake, and the extended family organised a traditional 'konil shai' ceremony," where friends can share tea and sympathy with the bereaved, Esengali said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46099688

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
All rise ... from the dead. Cork judge delighted as man thought to be dead walks into court

A Christmas miracle played out at Cork District Court where a man who was thought to be dead walked into court. The man in question was Finbarr Geary. He was due before Cork District Court on Tuesday in relation to an alleged public order incident at the Simon Community on Anderson’s Street, Cork.

On that occasion, the 29-year-old’s solicitor said that he had been notified by the Simon Community that the young man was dead. Defence solicitor, Frank Buttimer said he had written to Finbarr Geary care of the Simon Community and his letter was returned to him indicating that the man was deceased.

When the case was mentioned again, Judge Kelleher addressed the young man directly about the fact that rumours of his death were somewhat exaggerated, as Mark Twain put it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ought-to-be-dead-walks-into-court-970120.html