• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bad Medicine: Daffy Doctors & Medical Mishaps

Yes, I know that. What went wrong when transferring her from a gurney onto an operating table? All they have to do is slide an unconscious person from one surface to another, pretty much.

Yep agreed, it wasn't bariatric, I'm guessing all the staff involved are absolutely destroyed by this. Really sad. I know the family is devastated but there are rarely cover-ups.

Health professionals make mistakes. They absolutely try not to and you can imagine why I think this sort of thing happens but then it goes into politics so I can't comment.

A woman was subjected to an invasive gynacological procedure in a case of an identity mix up.

"A woman was given an invasive gynaecological procedure instead of fertility treatment after she was wrongly identified as another patient, a safety report says.

The error was one of 472 serious healthcare incidents reported in England between 2019 and 2020.

The Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch (HSIB) says such cases can lead to physical and psychological harm.

It says changes are needed to make sure they don't happen."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57329079

agreed. Still dealing with the effects of "refrigerator mother" concept today :(
When I worked in residential care in the 1970s I was told that the children and adults with autism in the institution were victims of parental emotional neglect.

Proof of this was to be found in the patients' response to being looked squarely in the face. They'd always turn away.

I was told this was due to a lack of engagement as babies because their mothers couldn't be bothered with them.

It was nothing to do with how intimidating being sternly stared at was.

Parents visiting patients were accordingly treated with polite disdain.

No matter how affectionate they appeared, I was told, they did not really care or they would have been better parents to their son or daughter.

Even back then I could tell this was all rubbish.

Last edited:
A Florida urologist has been fined and sanctioned after performing a procedure on the wrong testicle.
A Tampa doctor did surgery on the wrong testicle, state board finds

A Tampa urologist marked a patient’s right testicle for removal of enlarged veins and did the procedure on that testicle. But the September 2019 procedure was supposed to be done on the left testicle.

Dr. Raul Fernandez-Crespo has been fined $2,500 by the State of Florida Board of Medicine. The board also has issued a letter of concern. ...

The administrative complaint filed by the Department of Health says Fernandez-Crespo’s patient showed up on Sept. 10, 2019, for a varicocelectomy, a surgery to remove enlarged veins. ...

The complaint says, “Prior to the procedure, while in conversation with Patient C.F., [Fernandez-Crespo] marked the right testicle (the incorrect testicle) for the procedure.”

And, Fernandez-Crespo, following his erroneous mark, did a varicocelectomy on the right testicle.

“During the procedure, [Fernandez-Crespo] realized that Patient C.F. had consented to a left testicle varicocelectomy,” the complaint said. “[Fernandez-Crespo] then performed a left testicle varicocelectomy.” ...
FULL STORY: https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...gery-on-the-wrong-testicle-state-board-finds/

agreed. Still dealing with the effects of "refrigerator mother" concept today :(
It's a common and deeply-held belief that mothers cause their offsprings' poor health through laziness and negligence.

Can remember being shown a budgerigar with 'deformed' wings which condition, I was told by the amateur breeder, was caused by the mother bird's poor care of it.

I could see that the wings weren't deformed at all; they were normal but bald. A professional breeder would expect to find the odd chick that couldn't fledge and would dispose of it.

What surprised me was that the amateur breeder's wife was a mental health nurse. You'd think she'd know better.

Oops ... A donated kidney was installed in the wrong patient (one also awaiting a kidney transplant). Luckily, the recipient is compatible with the kidney and it wasn't a waste of effort.
Hospital: Patient gets kidney meant for someone else

An Ohio hospital has acknowledged that a patient received a new kidney meant for someone else.

Officials at University Hospitals in Cleveland on Monday apologized for the mistake and said two employees have been placed on administrative leave. The kidney given to the wrong patient is compatible and the person is expected to recover, officials said.

The other patient’s surgery has been delayed. Officials said the hospital is reviewing how the error occurred to prevent similar mistakes going forward. ...
FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/hospital-patient-kidney-meant-78818137

I was admitted to hospital Wednesday mid day because of a flare up of my Crohn’s disease.

They took bloods, swabbed me for Covid and MRSA, gave a blood thinner then asked the zillion questions.

Doctor came round, then consultant and the treatment was discussed and was generally what was expected. Antibiotics and steroids intravenously, rehydrate on a drip and drink as much water as I was comfortable with.

I was in a general ward attached to A&E then. Yesterday some young consultant or registrar or something walks in with his entourage of groupies, says hello but doesn’t introduce himself, stands the opposite side of the bed from the groupies then leans across and asks for my drug chart. Questions me as to why I am on antibiotics then tells me he will be cancelling them. He then marched out with the groupies trailing him.

30 minutes later Gastro consultant arrives, has a long chat, checks my records and mentions my antibiotics have been stopped. He tells me he will have me transferred to a Gastro ward then leaves.

5 minutes later one of the groupies arrives to tell me my antibiotics are reinstated and I am now on two types, one for aerobic and one for non-aerobic bacteria.

She points out I am due a second iron infusion today (Friday) but since my flare up on Saturday I have lost over a stone in weight and my reduced weight means her consultant thinks I no longer require it. Explaining the weight loss will be temporary goes nowhere as her boss has told her to cancel it. I ask her to speak to the Gastro consultant. 5 minutes later a head comes round the door telling me my iron infusion will be done on the ward and not in the usual place.

In a nutshell 1.5 days on a ward, three consultants, 3 different opinions and multiple changes to my treatment plan. Is it any wonder the wheels sometimes fall off with disastrous consequences?

Last edited:
I was admitted to hospital Wednesday mid day because of a flare up of my Crohn’s disease.

They took bloods, swabbed me for Covid and MRSA, gave a blood thinner then asked the zillion questions.

Doctor came round, then consultant and the treatment was discussed and was generally what was expected. Antibiotics and steroids intravenously, rehydrate on a drip and drink as much water as I was comfortable with.

I was in a general ward attached to A&E then. Yesterday some young consultant or registrar or something walks in with his entourage of groupies, says hello but doesn’t introduce himself, stands the opposite side of the bed from the groupies then leans across and asks for my drug chart. Questions me as to why I am on antibiotics then tells me he will be cancelling them. He then marched out with the groupies trailing him.

30 minutes later Gastro consultant arrives, has a long chat, checks my records and mentions my antibiotics have been stopped. He tells me he will have me transferred to a Gastro ward then leaves.

5 minutes later one of the groupies arrives to tell me my antibiotics are reinstated and I am now on two types, one for aerobic and one for non-aerobic bacteria.

She points out I am due a second iron infusion today (Friday) but since my flare up on Saturday I have lost over a stone in weight and my reduced weight means her consultant thinks I no longer require it. Explaining the weight loss will be temporary goes nowhere as her boss has told her to cancel it. I ask her to speak to the Gastro consultant. 5 minutes later a head comes round the door telling me my iron infusion will be done on the ward and not in the usual place.

In a nutshell 1.5 days on a ward, three consultants, 3 different opinions and multiple changes to my treatment plan. Is it any wonder the wheels sometimes fall off with disastrous consequences?

Cast Iron grounds for a complaint - disgraceful.

I hope you are feeling better now :)

Sounds like a distinct lack of joined-up thinking.
Get well soon.

sending appropriate hugs and empathy. Got Crohn's in the family.
Turns out I had a serious Campylobacter infection which was likely exacerbated by the immunosuppressant drugs for Crohn’s disease. It triggered a Crohn’s like response in the affected areas of my gut and has caused some, hopefully reversible, kidney damage due to the severe dehydration and lack of potassium etc.
Waiting on results from a CAT scan of my abdomen from yesterday and, all being well, will be on orally administered medication meaning I can go home to a comfortable bed.
Whoever’s designed these narrow hospital beds was an Evil Bastard! I reckon my back will take weeks to recover.
My Hypnos mattress will be much more appreciated moving forwards.

So sorry but I'm glad you are being treated aggressively. Sleep.

Turns out I had a serious Campylobacter infection which was likely exacerbated by the immunosuppressant drugs for Crohn’s disease. It triggered a Crohn’s like response in the affected areas of my gut and has caused some, hopefully reversible, kidney damage due to the severe dehydration and lack of potassium etc.
Waiting on results from a CAT scan of my abdomen from yesterday and, all being well, will be on orally administered medication meaning I can go home to a comfortable bed.
Whoever’s designed these narrow hospital beds was an Evil Bastard! I reckon my back will take weeks to recover.
My Hypnos mattress will be much more appreciated moving forwards.
Yeah that damn stuff you get everything going around. And of course with covid about....

Amazing how tough you have to be to survive some of the treatments!
Wishing you lots of lovely rest on your own mattress at home, Tempest63 !

Here's a "panacea" from back in the day (mid 19th century):
A mix of quinine, morphia, citric acid and natural flavoring (sloe plums)*. Yum!
Known as Warburg's drops, it was highly recommended for the kit of any English explorer tackiing unmapped regions, along with a box of cigars and a dozen bottles of brandy.

*From Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice.

You're intubated and on a ventilator, lying in ICU. What could possibly makes things worse? How about hundreds of gallons of human wastewater and fecal matter raining down from the ceiling ...
'Head to toe': Mother, son sue after being covered in human wastewater from pipe mishap at UT Medical Center

A Speedwell mother and son are suing the University of Tennessee Medical Center and two contractors after they say a "downpour of human waste" fell on them while he was in an intensive care unit room last year.

Patricia Gibson and Joel Patterson are seeking a jury trial in Knox County Circuit Court and compensatory damages of no more than $1 million and punitive damages of no more than $1 million. ...

"This was bad," said attorney Dail Cantrell, speaking for the family.

Cantrell said the sheer volume of wastewater that fell on the pair amounted to hundreds of gallons. Nurses who went in to help Patterson, who was on a ventilator and intubated, also got fecal material on them as they tried to shield Patterson, he said.

The incident happened May 4, 2020 ...

Cantrell said it appears a leak had slowly developed where two pipes join in the ceiling above the room. There'd previously been remodeling and renovation work in the area ...

It appears a sealing point linking the pipes failed May 4.

Cantrell said hundreds of gallons of wastewater fell on the son, mother and nurses who came in to help. People were covered "head to toe," the attorney said.

"Since Mr. Patterson was on a respirator and intubated, he was not able to avoid this downpour of human waste" ...
FULL STORY: https://www.wbir.com/article/news/l...enter/51-60911218-1a58-467c-9805-ffaf5aac4e25

South Korea has mandated security cameras in medical operating theatres, "after a series of medical accidents involving unqualified staff who stood in for surgeons."

WTAF?

Via RTE News

South Korea has mandated security cameras in medical operating theatres, "after a series of medical accidents involving unqualified staff who stood in for surgeons."

WTAF?

Via RTE News
I cant really see how CCTV is going to stop this happening, it could help find the person responsible but that too is a long shot as surgeons tend to be scrubbed up and masked before they enter the theatre.

I cant really see how CCTV is going to stop this happening, it could help find the person responsible but that too is a long shot as surgeons tend to be scrubbed up and masked before they enter the theatre.
The offenders are already known to the authorities. Having CCTV there is to show any imitators they're being, well, watched.

Spoiler alert- if anyone has tickets for Simon Evans “The Work of the Devil”, it’s fabulous, but read on at your peril!

Went to see the comedian Simon Evans at the Savoy Theatre in Monmouth last night. The venue is worth a visit in itself- such a fabulous little place. But the show, which was largely (with a lot of meandering) about identity, culminated in Evans discovery that he is one of Wiesner’s children. Awesome, hysterically funny, and massively touching…..
And yes, in response to the much missed @rynner above, Wiesner was the man who coined the word psi.

Busted ...

This Italian doctor was ambushed by a TV crew when preparing for allegedly curative sex with a woman to whom he'd falsely given a positive HPV diagnosis. Even more disturbing is the fact he'd done this many times before.
Italian gynecologist allegedly offered to have sex with woman to ‘cure’ virus

An Italian doctor known by the nickname “Dr. Magic Flute” was uncovered as a fraud for allegedly offering to have sex with a female patient — to “cure” her of a cancer-causing virus, according to a report.

Dr. Giovanni Miniello, 60, a gynecologist in the southern city of Bari, told the 33-year-old woman she appeared to have human papillomavirus, ... although a Pap smear test was negative, Newsflash reported.

“I have saved many women from cancer. All those I have had contact with were negative afterwards,” he reportedly told her.

But the woman — identified as Anna Maria — decided to contact the Italian newspaper La Repubblica ...

She said she was shocked that he proposed having sex with her when she asked about the results of her Pap test. ...

The woman then reached out to the investigative news program “Le lene,” which hired an actress to portray a patient, Newsflash reported.

Miniello told her she had “white spots” on her cervix, which indicated the presence of HPV, and also offered to have sex with her, claiming that he’d give her immunity because he had been vaccinated, the outlet said.

When the actress asked him about protection, the doctor allegedly told her that a condom would not permit her to get the benefit of his antibodies. ...

But before he thought he was about to have sex with her, a journalist barged in and surprised the half-naked doctor, who reportedly said: “I’m doing this for my studies — and for the other people that I have saved.”

Through his lawyer, Miniello said, “I, who have successfully treated hundreds of women for over 40 years, … only proposed an alternative treatment that has yielded results,” adding that he never forced women to have sex with him.

As a result of the TV expose, 15 other women have come forward and claimed they were also victimized by the doctor and his miracle sex cure. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/11/24/italian-dr-magic-flute-offered-patients-sex-to-cure-hpv/

Busted ...

This Italian doctor was ambushed by a TV crew when preparing for allegedly curative sex with a woman to whom he'd falsely given a positive HPV diagnosis. Even more disturbing is the fact he'd done this many times before.

FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2021/11/24/italian-dr-magic-flute-offered-patients-sex-to-cure-hpv/
This is the oldest medical ploy in the book. What surprises me is that while you might expect illiterate customers of a witchdoctor or hoodoo-man to fall for it, you also get the odd apparently respectable European or American practitioner using it to con educated patients into sex.

Owing to a pre-operative error in marking this elderly Austrian for surgery, the wrong leg was amputated. This meant the originally intended leg still had to be amputated as well.

Update on this story from last May ... The patient (an elderly man with multiple health issues) died. The surgeon who amputated the wrong leg has been fined.
Surgeon fined $3,000 for amputating patient's wrong leg

An Austrian court has fined a surgeon 2,700 euros ($3,050) for mistakenly amputating the wrong leg of a patient.

The 43-year-old surgeon was fined at the Linz Regional Court on Wednesday, with half of the amount suspended, "for committing grossly negligent bodily harm," Walter Eichinger, the court's vice president, told CNN.

On May 18 the surgeon, who was working at a clinic in Freistadt, "carried out an inadequate clarification with the existing medical records and the photo documentation before the operation for the planned amputation of the left thigh and thus marked the right leg for the surgical intervention," said Eichinger on Thursday.

The right thigh was then "amputated without any medical indication," added Eichinger.

The court awarded $5,666 in damages to the widow of the patient, who died before the court date, for reasons unrelated to the amputation, according to Eichinger. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/health/austria-surgeon-fine-amputation-scli-intl/index.html

There was a surgeon who'd brand his initials on patients' internal organs with a cauterising instrument. At least he left things where they were!

Update ... A medical practitioners' tribunal ruled this surgeon was due more than a suspension, so he's now been struck from the medical register.
Transplant surgeon, 57, who burned his initials onto the livers of unconscious patients is struck off the medical register

A consultant surgeon who burned his initials on to the livers of two unconscious patients has been struck off the medical register.

Simon Bramhall admitted two charges of assault by beating at Birmingham Crown Court in December 2017 after using an argon beam machine to brand the organs while working as a liver transplant surgeon at the city's Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

The 57-year-old was given a community order and fined £10,000 the following month.

On Tuesday, a review by the Medical Practitioners Tribunal Service (MPTS) concluded Bramhall's actions were 'borne out of a degree of professional arrogance' and his name should be erased from the medical register. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-livers-patients-struck-medical-register.html

Update ... A medical practitioners' tribunal ruled this surgeon was due more than a suspension, so he's now been struck from the medical register.

FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-livers-patients-struck-medical-register.html
Here's the story in an actual adult newspaper -
(Safe Guardian link)
Liver-branding transplant surgeon struck off medical register

The report said the General Medical Council (GMC) also appealed against the suspension decision and a high court judge quashed the sanction, with the matter then resubmitted to MPTS for its consideration.

In its determination, the tribunal concluded a suspension order would be “insufficient to protect the wider public interest” and said erasure from the medical register would be an “appropriate and proportionate sanction”.

It said: “The physical assault of two vulnerable patients whilst unconscious in a clinical setting, one of whom experienced significant and enduring emotional harm, seriously undermines patients’ and the public’s trust and confidence in the medical profession and inevitably brings the profession as a whole into disrepute.”

The conclusion continued: “The tribunal rejected the submission made on behalf of Mr Bramhall, that it was to relieve tension. It was an act borne out of a degree of professional arrogance.”
So after the assault by beating was dealt with Bramhall was eventually struck off for bringing the profession as a whole into disrepute.

Nobody would have known about the branding had another surgeon not noticed it and taken a photo on a mobile phone.
Bramhall must have thought it was his little secret. Pure arrogance.

A Dutch woman died in Turkey on Monday after undergoing Brazilian Butt Lift surgery. That reports RTL News. In the so-called BBL procedure, the buttock is enlarged with the body's own fat.

"We deeply regret the situation," a spokesman for Bodylab Istanbul told the station. The organization guides Dutch people who want to undergo cosmetic surgery in Turkey.

The surgery, in which fat is sucked out of the body and placed back into the buttocks, is known to be risky. Last year, a 39-year-old Dutch woman died of complications after undergoing surgery.

The doctor who operated on the woman in Istanbul, says to RTL that during the operation itself everything seemed fine. "All the indications, the heart rate, the breathing, were fine. Then it went wrong." He thinks of complications after the procedure: "I think it was a complication that we could not have calculated in advance."

The surgery is one of the most popular cosmetic procedures worldwide. Dutch Professional Associations have repeatedly warned against the intervention. The Dutch Society for Plastic Surgery (NVPC) and the Dutch Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (NVEPC) already pointed out in 2018 that 1 in 3000 treated patients dies.

According to the trade unions, international research in deceased patients showed that fat plugs (embolisms) are often found in the heart and / or lungs. Such plugs can cut off the blood supply. Whether this happened to the Dutch woman is unclear. According to RTL, there will be another autopsy on her body.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2414585-nederlandse-overleden-na-brazilian-butt-lift-operatie-in-turkije

Back