• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Badger Forteana

A female badger is recovering at a Polish animal shelter, two days after the party animal was found passed out on a beach having had too much to drink.

“Oh, youth. Oh, summer holidays,” animal shelter Dzika Ostoja joked on Wednesday in a Facebook post, detailing Wandzia the badger’s plight in the Baltic seaside resort town of Rewal.

“We found Wandzia drunk, surrounded by seven [empty beer] bottles. There were two more in the bushes, so it’s possible Wandzia began partying there. Haha.”

The badger is believed to have stolen the booze from fellow beachgoers, before removing the beer caps with her teeth.

The black and white omnivore was unconscious for two days, the shelter’s manager, Marzena Bialowolska, told AFP, adding that the badger had partially recovered but was still unable to sit up.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nk-on-polish-beach?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Tweet

Honey Badgers are really where it’s at.

Amazing creatures - they don't take shit from anything. Probably wouldn't want to keep one as a pet though. You must've seen the footage of a man who attempts to do so in Africa & has to resort to more & more elaborate measures as the honey badger devises ingenious ways to escape his enclosure..

Rampant badger tunnel digging is severely damaging a Birmingham cemetery - raising fears of ground collapse and surfacing of human remains.
An infestation of badgers is wreaking havoc on a city cemetery - sparking fears human remains could soon be unearthed.

Graves are reportedly 'caving in' at Yardley Cemetery, where the protected animals are thought to have been burrowing underground since last summer.

Birmingham City Council confirmed badgers had caused 'significant damage' to part of the 64-acre site, which was now at risk of ground collapse.

One distressed mourner, whose family's plot has been dug out by the animals, fears it is only a matter of time before remains are brought above ground.

Gillian Evans, whose mum, dad and brother are all buried at the cemetery, has called for urgent action to remove the animals.

Shocking footage, sent by Gillian to BirminghamLive, showed the damage caused by the unwelcome invasion of animals. ...

Birmingham City Council confirmed the animals had caused 'significant damage' to part of the cemetery, and the ground was now at risk of collapse. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/graves-caving-in-yardley-cemetery-19611741

If you've ever wondered what badgers smell like, here's your chance:
https://www.vulture.com/2021/01/brian-may-queen-badger-perfume.html
“Queen guitarist Brian May . . . has become the latest celebrity perfumer by launching a scent called Save Me, . . . it "is described as smelling like 'a hint of clean badger fur, some sandalwood, and something a bit limey,' . . . The guitarist has long been an enthusiast of lil’ cutie badgers, stating back in 2011 that saving the species has become 'a huge part of my life' as he begins to wind down his Queen duties."

I guess now we know what Brian May smells like too.

I bet the badgers were thrown in the canal by farmers.

Vid at link

RSPCA rescues ladder-scaling badgers from Torfaen canal

Two badgers have been rescued after they became stuck while trying to scale a ladder out of a canal in south Wales.

RSPCA Cymru officers were assisted by the fire service during the rescue in Torfaen. The badgers are being nursed back to full health before they are released back into the wild.

Published 18 hours ago

Section BBC News Subsection Wales

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-56004236

Re, badgers and cemeteries. Sure I posted about this before but, old church (ruins) near me. I found a couple of children's skulls that had been dug up by badgers. Told the vicar/priest of nearest church, he was'nt in the least bit interested !.

Rampant badger tunnel digging is severely damaging a Birmingham cemetery - raising fears of ground collapse and surfacing of human remains.
A bunch o' badgers are tearing up the cemetery in Tweedmouth, too.
'Grave robbing' badger colony wreaks havoc digging up gravestones at cemetery - but grieving families can't do anything because the animals are protected by law

A colony of badgers is causing havoc at a graveyard to the devastation of grieving families.

The black and white mammals are living and breeding at Tweedmouth Cemetery in Berwick, Northumberland, resulting in graves being dug over and covered in mud.

Northumberland County Council have reassured locals they are carrying out daily routine inspections of the churchyard.

But the animals are protected by law, meaning it is difficult to banish them from the area. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...reaks-havoc-digging-gravestones-cemetery.html

Amazing creatures - they don't take shit from anything. Probably wouldn't want to keep one as a pet though. You must've seen the footage of a man who attempts to do so in Africa & has to resort to more & more elaborate measures as the honey badger devises ingenious ways to escape his enclosure..
Is this the video?

Is this the video?
Keeping a honey badger is a bit like keeping a wolverine or Tasmanian devil I would imagine.
Theodore Roosevelt gave his 9 year old son Archie a pet badger named Josiah.

Josiah.jpg

https://www.presidentialpetmuseum.com/theodore-roosevelts-josiah/

Last edited:
Is this the video?
Yes. This is from the comments:

This was actually part of an hour long special. One of the issues is that Stouffle would get out and systematically murder all the other animals in the park who were caged for the night and couldn't escape him. Animals like Caracals and those big eared wild dogs, all sorts of birds. Everything. Eventually he made his way to the lion cage and in their first encounter, Stouffle bit the alpha male in the tenders, and won that fight. Stouffle made the mistake of thinking he could take Lions on the regular now, and escaped and went for it again. The Lion did not play around this time, and he mauled Stouffle and left him for dead. His intestines were hanging out and he was brutally cut up and chewed on. But he managed to survive somehow, and recovered eventually. And this lil' dude is so stubborn he keeps escaping. His keeper, who briefly mentions the encounter (they show the lion that kicked his ass) hoped Stoffle would slow down, but nope. Honey Badger really, truly don't give a sh!t. EDIT: the documentary was called: Honey Badgers - Masters of Mayhem. The BBC produced it about 20 years ago. I can only find clips on YouTube now, but it looks like it's streaming on the Discovery channel service.

It's strange how older threads are bubbling to the surface, seemingly matching my reading. Anyway, I'd like to speak up in favour of Patrick Barkham's Badgerlands, which explores the relationship between humans and badgers in England. There's a nice historicity to it, even if - perhaps inevitably - a large part of the book concerns the controversy around bovine TB and the role that badgers play in spreading it. It's a fairly even-handed survey of attitudes among dairy farmers on the one hand, and conservationists/animal rights activists on the other. He's got a very sympathetic ear for each of his interview subjects, or perhaps I should say the people he spends time with, and he depicts them all as rounded individuals.

In parallel, he discusses changing social attitudes towards badgers, and the interplay between public opinion and cultural depictions such as The Wind in the Willows. There's even a shout-out to the Centre for Fortean Zoology.

TL;DR: strong recommend.

This story may be more "Badger Fat-O-Rama" than Badger Forteana ... A badger chowed down on the contents of a UK compost bin until it was too bloated to get itself out of the bin.

Hungry badger rescued from resident's compost bin in England

Animal rescuers in Britain rescued a portly badger that feasted on the contents of a resident's compost bin and then discovered it was too big to climb out.

The RSPCA said Animal Rescue Officer Louis Horton was summoned to a Guildford, Surrey, England, home when a resident reported a badger was stuck inside their plastic compost bin. ...

"The green plastic compost bin would normally have a lid secured on top, but this inquisitive and hungry badger had spotted an opportunity for what he thought would be an easy meal and clambered in through the open top," Horton said.

"The bin was set firm into the ground and his belly was a little bigger than anticipated, so the greedy chap soon realized he was stuck inside," the rescuer said.

Horton said he used power tools to carefully cut off the top of the compost bin so the badger could be lifted out. ...

FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/12/30/RSPCA-badger-stuck-in-compost-bin/2011640884527/

Spain: Badger thought to have found Roman treasure​

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59937510

A hungry badger is thought to have unearthed the largest collection of Roman coins ever to have been discovered in northern Spain, reports say.
The treasure trove was discovered close to the den of an animal in the municipality of Grado, Asturias.
The animal is thought to have uncovered the treasure as it desperately searched for food last winter, a harsh one.

A badger Serial Killer Preying On Guinea

The bodies of 30 guinea pigs "in varying states of decay" have been found buried at the entrance to a badger sett, the RSPCA has said.

The charity said the rodents were discovered at the sett in a rural area near Warrington on Sunday. RSPCA inspector Jenny Bethel said it was "a really strange discovery" and appealed for information.

She added that the animals, which were not microchipped, seemed to be buried "in a pile underneath each other".

A spokesman for the charity said the guinea pigs were discovered by members of the Wirral and Cheshire Badger Group, who had spotted animal fur sticking out from "the surface of fresh, loose soil around the sett entrance".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-61521356

Burgling Badger. Vid at link

Badger breaks into Essex family's home during the night

A family said they were amazed after a badger repeatedly broke into their home in search of food.

Greg Dow assumed a fox was to blame for knocking over a bin several times and messing up their kitchen in Southend, Essex, but then caught the real culprit in the middle of the night.

"I heard a bump and a noisy chewing sound, came downstairs and there was a badger eating our cat's food - it had forced its way through the cat flap, bending it," he said.

His wife Heather said: "Badgers are supposed to be shy creatures so it's amazing to see one in your own kitchen."

The RSPCA said badgers often came into gardens looking for food and said the most humane way to discourage them was to "remove or stop access to whatever it is that's attracting them".

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-essex-63090432

Burrowing badgers blamed for road damage.

Stubborn badgers are refusing to move from their clifftop sett, which is causing damage to roads and pavements in a seaside town, a council said.

Sections of Cliff Parade in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, have been closed over safety concerns, Southend Council said. A survey found "ongoing deterioration... caused largely by the presence of a badger sett underneath". They cannot be moved in hibernation season and had "shown great reluctance to move" of their own accord.

In a statement on its website, the council said: "The badgers have undercut the cliff which has caused instability, and the council has not been able to carry out repairs because approval is required from Natural England to close the sett, which is not currently possible due to badger hibernation."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-64622924

Thanks for posting that, ramon. First time I've seen this thread. Badger forteana? My life is now complete.

Just been looking at that pic of a honey badger posted by Nosmo King at post #74 above. Is it just me......?

Screenshot_20230213-133205_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230124-100338_Google.jpg

..... separated at birth or what?

Last edited:
I've heard from friends that Portsmouth, UK has a big badger problem with badgers being aggressive towards humans and raiding homes etc.

Back