• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Baldhu Church Entity

A

Anonymous

re post need info

Has anyone in the cornwall area have any info on Baldhu Church

I have had many reports from people that have been chased from the area by some thing with red eyes and and growling sound but there is nothing there.

Need info to help freak out mates.

Sounds like a genus locii: check out this thread, but, seriously, not if you're alone at night.

I mean it. I'm on there, and it still freaks me out.

Stu

I've changed the thread title, Crypto.

Call me old-fashioned, but I always think the title should relate to the subject of the thread. :rolleyes:

(And on a practical note, is more likely to attract the interest of people with relevent information.)

PS: Baldhu is in old mining country, so perhaps it's one of the 'knockers' from the mines, getting lonely now the mines are closed. The miners used to offer them food or candle wax to avert disaster.

Some say the Knockers were the ghosts of little old Jews, and if placated could lead to rich pickings. Tin mining was largely controlled by the Jews from the early 13th century (and maybe earlier) until they were expelled during the reign of Edward I, 1272 - 1307.

General info on the Church here, with links to map, census returns, etc.

Picture here

Another pic

Can't find anything about red-eyed monsters, though the abandoned church looks spooky enough!

Billy Bray was a one-time miner and drunkard who then became a preacher. His grave is at Baldhu - [hmm, the internet won't me attach the pic. Well, it's on this page. ]

And an odd story:
There cannot be many clergymen converted during one of their own sermons, but this was the happy fate of William Haslam! Ordained in 1842, he was initially more concerned with church decor and starting an orchestra than with finding the power and honour of God!
Perhaps there is some psychic gateway at Baldhu! (Haslam was one time preaching at Mount Hawke when "A mighty power of the Spirit of the Lord came upon the meeting and several hundred fell on their knees simultaneously. The strange thing was that the power of God appeared to pass diagonally through the crowd, so that there was a lane of people on their knees, six to eight feet wide, banked on either side by others standing.")

The name Baldhu means Black Mine. The mine refered to seems to be the Great Wheal Jane Silver and Lead Mine Kea (formerly Baldhu). This was one of the last mines in Cornwall to close, and became nationally known when an overflow of flood water from the mine about 10 years ago stained the Carnon River, Restronguet Creek and Falmouth Harbour a strong red colour.
Link.

Baldhu info

Well I heard the story from my step son's ex girlfriend that she had visited the church and was chase by what she discribed as red eyes. Also a friend had also visited the site and was chase by the same red eyes.

The church was abandoned sometime ago and they rumours of satanic rituals going on in the church and in the woods. they then went on to say that the inside of the church had been destroyed and the altar had pentagrams on it and on the floor. It has since been boarded up no one can get in without a key.
The graveyard that remains is overgrown, the woods is situated straight onto the churchyard. They has been many suicides in these woods and many people have said the would never go back there again.

Now my step son went with his friend to take some pics to see if there was any orbs or strange mists or spirits in the churchyard as they entered the woods my step son heard footsteps but could see no one, his friend heard a grunting growling like thunder but the sky was clear no sign of thunder clouds. at this point they ran to the car the thing that they heard chased them to the exit of the churchyard.

I have done some research and found only one spirit known to haunt this area BLOODY OLD BONES a spirit is seen with blood pouring from his body. But it seems he haunts the village of Baldhu not the church.

I am going to visit it soon and I hope I can get some results.

Crypto

Other visits planned

Davidstow Moor Airfield
Warleggen

I think I've been to Baldhu Church at least twice...

The first time I went there it was very atmospheric... very still and quiet and almost engulfed by mist. Mum and I had a walk around the churchyard and looked at the well, and I didn't get any bad feelings about the place at all - it just gave the impression of being beautiful and mysterious..

I mentioned this to some friends at college and it was only then that I heard about the rumours of rituals etc. It is worth mentioning though that these seemed to have happened to 'friends of friends' rather that first hand..
Some friends who had actually been there at night had been very scared, and described the place as being horrible and creepy - so much so that I had to make sure we were talking about the same place !!!

The second time we went back I expected to be a bit scared, but found I wasn't ... We looked in the woods behind the church and found a clearing with log seats in a circle around an old fire, plus empty beer cans & bottles - everything to suggest that some local teenagers had probably had a gathering and sleepover to see if the rumours were true !

I'm not sure but I think the well in the churchyard may be one of those ancient Holy Wells (my Mum is rather keen on these so that's probably why we first went there).... So it could be that the area has been a place to worship since pre-christian times ?

I have never been there, but its on my "to visit" list

Back