• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Baldness on the Mother's Side

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Is it true that a young man can tell whether he'll go bald or not by looking at the bonce of his mother's father? And if he's bald, then the young man will definitely go the same way? And if he has a full head of hair, then the young man won't? Is this scientific?

I've certainly read that male pattern baldness is inherited through one's mother rather than one's father.

Applying this to my own family, I notice that my sons did not start to lose their hair in their early 20s as their father did. My own brothers' hair thinned in their late 30s, whereas our father was nearly bald before he was 40.

So - perhaps my mother and I passed on some 'keeping hair' genes, thwarting my father's and husband's 'baldy' ones. :D

Or it's all coincidence, or just too complicated to sort out without thorough DNA analysis.

My own theory is that male pattern baldness is actually of evolutionary benefit to females. It makes husbands more easily recognisable from a distance at outdoor events - useful when you've run out of cash at the car boot sale.

Well, all of my Uncles on both sides, my Dad and both Grandfathers were all bald or heavily balding by their early 20s - a few of my cousins were balding by their mid teens, and all that are now in their late 20s have badly receeding hairlines or heavily thinning hair.

I, however, at age 30 have a lovely head of hair which shows no sign of leaving me - thankfully!

My Maternal Grandad was very thin on top, but not proper bald. My Dad always said that baldness would skip a generation on the Fathers side. He's bald as a coot, and his Pa had a lovely head of hair until the day he died.

I went bald at about 23. :D Got a loverly 'tache mind. :lol:

Too be honest, I feel rather sorry for those chaps handicapped by a scalp full of hair.. Worrying if it looks alright/is falling out/is going grey/is making you look like a hippie/is getting in your food etc.

Yes, my maternal grandfather went bald in exactly the same way as me, receded at the temples first and then thinned out on top. My maternal uncle did the same though, so perhaps it doesn't always skip generations. Mine only started thinning a couple of years ago whereas my brother has been losing his since his early twenties, and it all went from his crown first (whereas our dad still has a full head of thick hair at pushing 80, which he ascribes to regular marriage.)

Thanks, everyone. It doesn't seem to be an entirely reliable rule after all.

I've never seen a picture of my mum's dad, so don't know if he had male pattern baldness. I do know that both her brothers had MPB from an early age. I used to have a lot of hair, these days - MPB (and mine started going in my 30's though didn't get really going until my 40's.

Do you suffer from "Fly away hair?" - yep -it's all flown away.

If the mother's father rule was true, then surely the baldies would take over and every man would end up bald eventually?

I've never really known my father with hair, other than from photographs, as he was as bald as coot by the time he was in his mid-20s. My paternal grandfather was similarly smooth too and all my paternal uncles bar one are also Kojak-esque. On the other hand, the males on my mother's side are like badgers. Whereas my father's side is my father's side is fair/blonde/ginger, my mother's is dark-haired with clumps of grey and very thick hair even into their 60s and 70s.

I started receding slightly in my early 20s and thought 'shit, here we go!' but then after the initial loss, it really slowed down. I'm almost 40 and am genuinely surprised as to how much hair I have and am able to have neat short hair without having to have a number 0,1,2 &c. My two younger brothers are both bald as coots.

The progress of MPB is, very interestingly in my opinion, tempered by the influence of male gonadism.

Put crudely, a bald head = large balls and virility. A full head of hair seen yea unto one's twilight years = small balls and a marked disinterest in the racier side of life.

I am not prepared to discuss personal anecdotal evidence of this theory - you can Google it away all night. I am lady, when all's said and done. ;)

escargot1 said:
The progress of MPB is, very interestingly in my opinion, tempered by the influence of male gonadism.

Put crudely, a bald head = large balls and virility. A full head of hair seen yea unto one's twilight years = small balls and a marked disinterest in the racier side of life.

Whilst I have hair, I'm no Ted Danson. :oops:

escargot1 said:

I am not prepared to discuss personal anecdotal evidence of this theory - you can Google it away all night. I am lady, when all's said and done. ;)

Not in my experience!

How can I out this.. um.. I have large testicles. Not 'Buster Gonad and his Unfeasibly Large Testicles' big, but large enough that I have trouble finding just the right kind of underwear so that my scrotum is held in check.

Boxers are too loose, so they become unwieldy, and briefs/jockeys are too tight and are uncomfortable (I refuse to even entertain the notion of y-fronts).

The worst problem, you see, with having big balls is that sometimes I accidentally sit on them. Like a fucking flesh space-hopper.

DON'T YOU LAUGH!!!! ;)

It hurts! Can you imagine sitting on your ovaries?! I don't think you can.

So I go through life including the racier side, with a full head of hair, a very healthy libido, and every so often chairs are my enemy.

*pushes bowl of cornflakes away*

Creamstick1 said:
escargot1 said:

Not in my experience!

How can I out this.. um.. I have large testicles. Not 'Buster Gonad and his Unfeasibly Large Testicles' big, but large enough that I have trouble finding just the right kind of underwear so that my scrotum is held in check.

Boxers are too loose, so they become unwieldy, and briefs/jockeys are too tight and are uncomfortable (I refuse to even entertain the notion of y-fronts).

The worst problem, you see, with having big balls is that sometimes I accidentally sit on them. Like a fucking flesh space-hopper.

DON'T YOU LAUGH!!!! ;)

It hurts! Can you imagine sitting on your ovaries?! I don't think you can.

So I go through life including the racier side, with a full head of hair, a very healthy libido, and every so often chairs are my enemy.

Sorry, Creamstick, I was already roaring with laughter when I read your warning--mea culpa! :lol: If you don't want people laughing you shouldn't write so--er--vividly!! :twisted:

Then again, sitting on my ovaries--OUCH!! :shock:

You know, they say (I have no idea who "they" are incidentally!) that eunuchs always have a flowing, full head of hair.

Er--no offense to the well-coiffed males out there lol!

I'm not sure if this is just a theory or if it's got some element of truth about it.
I am led to believe that male pattern baldness is linked through the mother, but not necessarily from the mother's father.
It is possibly a side effect of polycystic ovaries in women (obviously not in men lol) I have PCO and my brother has MPB (he started to thin out in his early 20's. My dad actually has more hair than he does :) My mum's dad did NOT have MPB and although I don't have any medical evidence to back up my mum's mum having PCO, she certainly did have a lot of the symptoms.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a link at all, and if i find any evidence I'll post it up.

Back