• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ball Lightning

I saw ball lightning a long time ago, discussed on an earlier ft thread. After derisive comments from scientists over the years it is now recognized as a fact by them, though without a 'suitable' explanation as yet. There are problems in that there would seem to be more than one kind, with different behavioural patterns etc. Also sprites and similar above cloud effects have now been accepted, photographed from the ISS but with no explanations of their purpose to date. Seems to me that the electrical charge accumulated by clouds in thunderstorms is derived from the ionosphere poss. through sprites etc. rather than by the standard explanation which is now not considered to generate enough energy. Some ball lightning could be plasma balls but others don't seem to fit into this category.

I remember a case near where I lived in the 70s, it apparently came into the house from outside by opening the door, rolled round the room, knocked the budgie off its perch (dunno if this is a UL or my own false memory embelishment tho) then disappeared, I can't remember if it went pop and vanished or rolled back out tho, I do remember the large tree outside the house that has been hit by the lightening before it entered the house, it had a big piece smashed out of the side of it, as if a cannonball had hit it with force, but no burn marks.
My mum saw one one night coming out of a storm cloud, she said it zigzagged as it came down.

The NASA P-3 was struck by lightning in the 1990's and afterwards ball lightning floated down the center isle in front of 20 of the country's top atmospheric scientists. Certainly removed all doubt from that group. Several of my friends were on board and it made true believers out of them. No photos though.

This is interesting though...

Ball lightning is generally accepted as existing. We have lots of eyewitness accounts dating back decades. We have an account of a run-in by an aircraft that every passenger reports seeing. Odd, none of them had a camera(;)). No solid photos exist, the best one is admittedly a 'hoax' (and by 'hoax' I mean it was made by a machine that could not have generated it in the outside world).

Sounds familiar, anyone, besides the whole 'accepted by science' part? ;)

escargot said:
The BF has seen it.
He was 11 at the time, February or March 1974, around dusk.

It was a grey swirling ball, about 6'' across, which moved slowly across his living room after emerging from an interior wall. On its appearance it made a soft popping sound and as it disappeared through the opposite (external) wall it made a loud bang like a balloon bursting.

He was with his family (parents, older brother) in the room but only he saw it, although they all heard the bang as it left.

There had been heavy rain just before, but no sigh of thunder.

Nobody believed him when he said a grey swirly ball had just floated through the room! :D

My sister saw a very similar occurrence herself at her home in Reading some years ago. Of course, she didn't take a photo because it all happened so quickly.

My parents have both seen ball lightning. It was during a rain shower, and it descended the length of some very tall conifers near the back garden and then fizzled when it reached the ground.

I believe something like 3% of the population get to see ball lightning - a similar number to those who have seen lightning striking an object.
Unlike lightning it's very hard to predict and seems to pop up randomly, which is why photographs are difficult.

However, unlike various other Fortean phenomena, there are some reasobale theoretical explanations for it and it does not violate any laws of physics, making it far more acceptable to science than, say, fish falls.

tuckeg said:
The NASA P-3 was struck by lightning in the 1990's and afterwards ball lightning floated down the center isle in front of 20 of the country's top atmospheric scientists. Certainly removed all doubt from that group. Several of my friends were on board and it made true believers out of them. No photos though.

You wouldn't happen to have a source, other than yourself for this story? I beleive you I'm planning on using it, but I think I'd need more than 'a guy on the internet says so'. ;)

I've just done a google image search for ball lightning which brought up 1,030 results. The ones I looked at didn't look unconvincing, but then again I haven't seen a 100% absolutely definate pic of ball lightning, so I don't know what one would look like. Like a glowing ball, I suppose. Which is what all of the pics I saw were.

I suppose the phenomena is met with the same problems as 'photo's of ghosts. If the image is blurred or out of focus then it is too unconvincing. However, if someone took a clear pic of a pale, transparent person halfway through a wall it would be deemed too perfect to be real, and therefore an obvious fake!

Also, lets consider the thought processes of people who are greeted with ball lightning. I would have thought most of them would be shocked, surprised, even scared. Not exactly the circumstances under which people think "I gotta get a 'photo of this." more like "I'd like to run far, far away right now, but I'm frozen to the spot with fear!"

While most people on this board and others like us understand the need for solid photographic proof of an anomolous event and would immediately reach for a camera, we are a small minority of the population of earth.

Another consideration is that most people don't have a camera to hand ready to take a photo right away. If ball lightning entered in my house right now it would take me at least 1.5 minutes to get to my digital camera, turn it on, turn the flash off, aim and take a pic. And that's if I'm downstairs, add another minute if I'm upstairs. And completely forget it if the ball lightning is between me and the camera.

originally posted by Wembly

However, unlike various other Fortean phenomena, there are some reasobale theoretical explanations for it and it does not violate any laws of physics, making it far more acceptable to science than, say, fish falls.

Do fish falls violate the laws of physics? I believe it's entirely concievable that the fish are merely picked up by twisters at sea and dropped inland.

Well, that what I think anyway.

But that's just me.

I wouldn't believe anything I say. :D

My great grandfather saw several globes of ball lightening the size of grapefruits slowly following the gutters around the edges of the lawn (an old bowling green). He didn't have a camera to hand, however.

"Do fish falls violate the laws of physics? I believe it's entirely concievable that the fish are merely picked up by twisters at sea and dropped inland."

That would just about work for a short distance from the sea, and the fish would have to be of a similar size - and it's unlikely they'd survive very long.
Mass regurgitation by flocks of pelicans etc is also a possibility, albeit a stretch.

But proper fish falls over a large area a long way from the sea of live fish...

Hmmmm...

Yeah, ok Wembly, I'll give you that.

I'm not too proud to admit when there's a chance that I may possibly be not entirely correct. Ahem.

Still stand by everything I said about ball lightning photo's though.

:D

Last week I was driving along in one of your (Carole Ann) Ford Sierras, and it started to hail like hell. I was listening to one of your primitive radios tuned to the medium wave. There were no pylons to be seen, but the hail was having an effect on radio reception. There were little pitter-patters, as though the hail striking the aerial was causing it.

Let's just suppose that these little hailstones were electrically charged, hmm? As you see pictures of enormous hailstones in the Fortean Times, so you can have enormous hailstones that are charged to such effect that they become ball lightning. What do you think of that, hmm?

Merciful heavens! There's one of those ball lightning fellows coming through the walls of the ship right now! It's heading towards me at head height! Get away! Get away! Aaagh!!!

Oh, that was close...oh!...oh!...oh!...oh!...It went right through my head...oh!...oh!...thank goodness there was nothing there to put up any resistance...oh!...oh!...

Ball of lightning shot across room

by Nigel Baudains

A ST SAMPSON’S couple watched in amazement as ball lightning entered their lounge.

Billy Gregory-Haines, 41, and wife Maria, 39, were watching television in their home at L’Islet.

‘Maria saw this streak come straight through the glass porch, then a double-glazed door, and shoot across the room,’ he said.

‘I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I was sitting at a different angle.’
The couple watched as a ball, the colour of lightning, stopped for a split second about a foot from the TV screen and about 18 inches off the floor before leaving the same way as it had entered.

Mr Gregory-Haines said the whole thing took about two seconds.
‘We just looked at one another and said: “Did you see that?”

‘The ball was a sort of a blue-and-white colour, absolutely crystal clear. Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it,’ he said.
Mr Gregory-Haines began to inspect the house for damage but found none.

‘We started asking ourselves what might have happened if we had been standing in the way.’

Mr Gregory-Haines said he and his wife did not believe in the supernatural.

‘I’m a rationalist and I think there must be some sort of scientific explanation,’ he said.

The ball entered the room from the north.

St Sampson’s School pupil Jessica Elliston, 14, who lives near Ville Baudu, Vale, had just gone to bed after returning from rehearsals for the Gadoc Easter production.

She said she often looked at the stars through a roof light in her bedroom.
‘I looked out of the window and saw this bright ball that was pure white and it just seemed to get bigger,’ she said.

‘I thought this was something different.

‘All of a sudden there was a big flash, I blinked, and, when I opened my eyes, it was gone and the electricity had gone off in our house.’

The flash coincided with one of the loudest claps of thunder Jessica said she had ever heard.

Her father, David, came into her room to check she was all right and found that the trip switch had been activated.

‘My dad said he thought it had probably been ball lightning,’ said Jessica.

----------------------------
*NO THEORIES have explained convincingly the ball lightning phenomenon.

The effect has been created without any electrical storm but according to most surveys, 70% of cases occur after a lightning strike.

In some cases balls have been seen descending the path of recent lightning strikes and stopping near the ground. In other cases they have just appeared at the point of impact.

In a high percentage of cases, balls have entered buildings via windows and doors. .

There is no scientific explanation of how such a ball could be created by a lightning bolt.

They can range from a few centimetres in diameter to a few metres, but the average is about 20 centimetres.

---------------------
Published 5/3/2005

Source

Lightning strike wrecked my TV

by Nigel Baudains

A PENSIONER had the shock of his life when ball lightning shot through his front window.

Roy Falla, whose home was hit by ball lightning, talking to amateur meteorologist Paul Domaille. (Picture by John O’Neill, 0177047)

Roy Falla, 80, was watching TV at his home in Lowlands Road, St Sampson’s, when the phenomenon struck, causing the set to fail.

Amateur meteorologist Paul Domaille has investigated more than 50 reports of ball lightning from Thursday last week – seen at the same time as a Flybe aircraft was struck twice in mid-air.

So-called lightning balls penetrated at least four homes in the north of the island. It can enter and exit properties without leaving a mark. Mr Falla was about to go to bed when the loudest clap of thunder he had ever heard went off.

A split second later, a lightning ball entered his lounge through the window and closed curtains and the television broke.

‘I was absolutely petrified,’ he said.

‘It made a hissing noise and I would say it went dead centre into the back of the TV.’

Mr Falla examined that the set, which he expected to be warm, but could find nothing obviously wrong. As he opened the curtains to look outside, he heard an aircraft, which he believes was the Flybe Dash 8 that had been forced to abort its flight to Exeter.

‘I pulled the curtains back to see, but the glass was fine.

‘The thing that amazed was that the ball came through the window without causing any damage. The thing I don’t know is where it really went.’

The ball was a yellow/white colour and about the size of a football.

Mr Falla said he went to bed ‘shaking like a leaf’. He was so worried that he had imagined the whole thing that he did not tell his daughter of his experience for a week.

‘I thought that no one would believe me and I certainly hope I don’t see another one. Just what can a thing like that do?’

Others also heard the clap of thunder.

‘My neighbour told me she’d been having a bath and she’d never got out so quick.’

Mr Domaille, 49, is a member of Torro – the Tornado and Storm Research Organisation. Last Friday, he overheard a conversation in a shop suggesting that a person from St Martin’s had seen ball lightning, which is unusual.

He asked the Guernsey Press to help him find that person. The following day after a story was published, he received more than 50 calls from people who had seen the phenomenon and was on the phone for about five hours.

One or possibly two balls were seen around Jerbourg Point and another above the Crown Pier. Mr Domaille posted his findings on the Torro forum and amateur meteorologists from as far afield as Russia and Australia have shown an interest.

-----------------------------
Published 5/3/2005

article © 5/3/2005 Guiton Group. website © 2003 Guiton Group

Source

Anyone here from Peterborough?

Mysterious phenomenon is simply electrifying

GIANT explosions and blinding flashes of lights have been blighting the lives of people living in Peterborough for centuries. Now an expert has claimed that the city could be a hotspot for a mysterious phenomenon that is baffling scientists all over the globe. DAVID OLD reports

TODAY, as weather forecasters warn of potential thunderstorms on the way, an expert has revealed that Peterborough may be a hotspot for a dangerous weather phenomenon.

Peter van Doorn, an expert carrying out research into some of the most dangerous elements that can strike earth literally like a bolt from the blue, believes a house in Stanground could have been hit by something deadlier than lightning – a fireball.

Mr van Doorn, director of the Ball Lightning Research Division of TORRO (Tornado and Storm Research Organisation) at Oxford Brookes University, was intrigued by The Evening Telegraph report into a strike on the home of Kirsty and Michael Dawson, in Barham Close, Stanground.

After reading how the bungalow was blasted during a sudden thunderstorm, leaving a hole ripped through the roof, and heavy electrical appliances moved, Mr van Doorn was fascinated and felt it had all the hallmarks of "a fireball event."

The expert decided to carry out some fast research work, and now believes that Peterborough could be a hotspot for such bombshells from the sky.

Mr van Doorn, who scans the media for evidence of strikes and read the report on our website, said: "A fireball is very different from a bolt of lightning.

"They fall down from the sky, and have been seen to enter houses before exploding. They have ripped holes in walls and in roofs, and have caused all sorts of strange occurrences.

"They have been seen during thunderstorms and, even, when the weather has been fine.

"Witnesses have described hearing a massive explosion followed by a brilliant flash of light. They are formed in the atmosphere and fall to earth. They can be deadly. They could kill, there's no doubt about that.

"They are a very genuine phenomenon and are becoming more and more important."

Mr van Doorn said the form of ball lightning could vary in size from as small as a golf ball to as large as a kilometre in diameter.

And he said they could hang in the air for several minutes as they fell to earth.

He said: "You can't predict what it's going to do. It's almost like a nuclear reactor. Fireballs or ball lightning are a compact ball containing a reservoir of energy which explodes on contact with the earth. They're most extraordinary things.

"Even after the ball has exploded there can be other events for some time afterwards. There have been reports of areas of pressure hanging around in houses and people have complained of getting headaches after the strike.

"Peterborough does seem to be a hotspot for strikes and these fireballs, but we just don't know why. It may be the flatlands, intervening hills and the influence of the Fens, or it may be a connection to the North Sea, but it's a new subject and we are still breaking ground.

"But if it's happened once it can happen again."

Cold comfort for Peterborough people who fear ordinary lightning – never mind fireballs.

Lights witnessed by poet John Clare

FIREBALLS may have created shock, fear, and disaster in the Peterborough throughout history.

Researcher Peter van Doorn pointed to the work of renowned 19th century poet John Clare, who lived at Helpston, near Peterborough, as containing potential evidence of fireball events.

He said: "In his poetry John Clare was haunted by mysterious lights above Peterborough. Maybe the lights he was referring to in his poetry were more examples of fireballs."

And there are more cases that Mr van Doorn claims backs up his claims.

• July 11, 1806: During a thunderstorm over Peterborough, a fireball fell and exploded in the marketplace causing considerable alarm.

• July 28, 1806: A fireball was recorded as falling at Elton, near Peterborough.

------
FACTfile – Precautions

Before the thunderstorm
• Unplug all non-essential appliances, including the television, as lightning can cause power surges.

• Seek shelter if possible. When you hear thunder you are already within range of where the next ground flash may occur, lightning can strike as far as 10 miles away from the centre of a storm.

During the thunderstorm
• Avoid using the phone — telephone lines can conduct electricity.

• Avoid using taps and sinks — metal pipes can conduct electricity.

• If outside avoid water and find a low-lying open place that is a safe distance from trees, poles or metal objects.

• Avoid activities such as golf, rod fishing or boating on a lake.

• If you find yourself in an exposed location, squat close to the ground, with hands on knees and with head tucked between them. Try to touch as little of the ground with your body as possible, do not lie down on the ground.

• If you feel your hair stand on end, drop to the above position immediately.

After the thunderstorm
• Avoid downed power lines or broken cables.
• If someone is struck by lightning they often suffer severe burns. The strike also affects the heart, so check if they have a pulse.

--------
CASEFILES

Tony Mastrullo

BARBARA Mastrullo was at home with her family in Peterborough when a bolt of lightning hit the roof of their house.

She said: "It came over really black, like we were going to have a storm, then there was one flash and a bang and that was it. There wasn't a storm just a flash which hit our house."

The bolt, in July 2003, hit the top of the roof and the TV aerial.

The electricity surge wrecked the television and video.

Mrs Mastrullo, who lives with her husband Tony and three children, Lisa, Gemma and Craig, in Woodcote Close, Dogsthorpe, added: "We ran outside and had a look at where it hit. There were no other flashes we must have just been very unlucky."

George McCann

GEORGE McCann (70) and his wife Margaret (69) had a lucky escape when their home was rocked by an explosion during a thunderstorm in October 2003.

They were at a friend's house when a huge surge of energy wrecked their property in Davids Close, Werrington, Peterborough at about 4pm.

Mr McCann said: "It hit the tree first, then blew up two sheds and the greenhouse before it came into the house.

The surge then moved into the catering kitchen and blew the windows out at the back of the house.

"We were very lucky. It was unbelievable how powerful it was."

The force of the explosion wrecked the television, DVD player and fuse box inside the home and affected televisions and appliances in homes several streets away.

Mr McCann said he believed the strike which caused the damage to his home, could have been a fireball.

He said: "A friend of mine saw it come over my house. She said that everything went pitch black but the lightning didn't drop down out of the sky. She heard a big bang and saw the light going down to my tree. I don't know where it came from."

--------------------
14 April 2005

Source

hello all

Both my wife and I observed ball lightning last night, we live in Suffolk and as many of you know the weather of late has been warm and brooding, at about 8 10 pm we saw a ball that was football sized, float down to the ground and then woosh about just above the road, accompanied by a hissing and crackling sound, and almost the sound of a cat, has anyone else experienced this meteorological phenomena ?

I've never seen any, but my mother and my mother-in-law have both seen it...

My mum was travelling by coach, one summer in the early seventies, somewhere in the UK. She was sat near the front so she had quite a good view of the windscreen. She could hear thunder and there'd been the odd flash of sheet lightning - then a white glowing ball drifted smoothly to the ground, close in front of the coach. (Roughly basketball-sized, as far as she could tell/remember) It hit the road right in front of the moving vehicle. There was a bang and a flash underneath the coach as it drove over the point of impact. Near miss!

My mother-in-law was in France in the late eighties, standing on the verandah watching a serious storm hammering her town and the towns in the valley below. Her attention was caught a "big" white ball rolling (or possibly floating) down the hill nearby... it headed downhill in the general direction of the storm, and was lost to view (no dramatic impact observed). What with the general crashing and banging she couldn't say if it made any noise...

If you are of a Fortean inclination, it's sometimes easy to forget that other people haven't heard about all this stuff before. My mum's story I heard about ten years ago, the in-law's last week, in seperate conversations about "bloody weather", and they were both mildly confused by what they had seen - they were a bit taken aback when I said "Whoa. Ball lightning!" and knew all about it. :D

Perhaps with the increasing ubiquity of personal recording equipment (camera/video phones and that) someone will eventually capture this stuff on film...

thanks for that reply, from what I have read of them they are attracted to positively charged particles, so any people in the way better move quickly ;) I believe they may be more common than people may think, but its just another interesting part of this bizarre world we live in ;)

I have never seen it but a friend of mine tells me a ball came into her house during a storm once and hit their dog. :shock: It was okay but the poor thing is even more terrified of storms now. I would love to see it!

How close were you to the ball lightning? Did you feel any physical side effects at all - i.e any 'tingling' or feelings of light-headedness?

no, didnt feel any tingling or any other general sensations, it was more the noise that got my attention then the movement, very intreaging, almost showing intelligence ;) but obvioulsy not :)

:shock: Nikola Tesla thought that it is sentient!

many people believe that orbs are sentient too, but thus far nothing has shown me that they are ;)

If Tesla hadn't said that he would be a great deal more famous now. :?

Back