• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Banksy: From 'Civil Sculptor' To Dismaland & Beyond

The Kissing Copppers work is from 2004. If that many people were watching, I would imagine there exists quite a few camera phone photos of Banksy. However I don`t think the media has any interest in outing Banksy, as both benefit from the marketing ploy of mystery.
This is it. Why dissect the goose the lays the golden egg?.

Banksy:
“On Painting Rats, and the Glorification of Them. They exist without permission. They are hated, hunted and persecuted. They live in quiet desperation amongst the filth. And yet they are capable of bringing entire civilizations to their knees. If you are dirty, insignificant, and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model.”

Last edited:
The Kissing Copppers work is from 2004. If that many people were watching, I would imagine there exists quite a few camera phone photos of Banksy. However I don`t think the media has any interest in outing Banksy, as both benefit from the marketing ploy of mystery.
I don't know whether a lot of people were watching or just a few and videoing wasn't so much in the minds of people back then. Also, the street isn't a particularly busy one. I can't ask my friend as he's no longer with us.

I don't know whether a lot of people were watching or just a few and videoing wasn't so much in the minds of people back then. Also, the street isn't a particularly busy one. I can't ask my friend as he's no longer with us.
I'm sorry to hear that kesavaross .. if you read what Banksy wrote on the magazine advice, getting away with things and timing was something he admires about Houdini so it's not only about the paintings with him .. although using matt paint about 10cm away when illegal graffiti 'bombing' is about right as is then "Don't hang about"..

https://www.postmodernvandal.com/cd...-magazine-issue-no-60-184378.jpg?v=1678674067

I'm sorry to hear that kesavaross .. if you read what Banksy wrote on the magazine advice, getting away with things and timing was something he admires about Houdini so it's not only about the paintings with him .. although using matt paint about 10cm away when illegal graffiti 'bombing' is about right as is then "Don't hang about"..

https://www.postmodernvandal.com/cd...-magazine-issue-no-60-184378.jpg?v=1678674067
He died from the booze. Smashing bloke but he just couldn't give it up.

Banksy is becoming more and more interesting the more I find out about him. I always thought of him as a bit of a tosser, why, I don't know, but now I am becoming to think there is much more to him than I thought.

Last edited:
That's a tough way to go out. Sorry mate. X

Back to Banksy ... I hope we never find out who he is/was .. it doesn't matter who he is and I think he knows that more than anyone. He just drops bombs and hopes they matter.
Thanks for the condolence. My mate, I knew his social or care worker as I used to clean his windows. I'm now a retired window cleaner. Apparently he had an ulcer that burst while he was on a bender in his flat. What an horrifically painful and bloody death. In life, he was such a decent and friendly person in between the binges. His funeral was packed out. He was well liked. I couldn't have so easily gone down the same path.

Back on topic. Banksy. Anything that gives the one finger salute to this shit society is fine with me.

In the mid nineties there were small stencil artworks all over Brighton that seemed to increase in number as time went on of a picture that in someways resembled Clark Kent (superman) smoking a pipe and underneath it said Kent Can't. It was a reference to Christopher Reeve who had been making a film in 1995 about a police officer who had become a paraplegic when Reeve had a horse riding accident that left him paralysed from the shoulders down.

Allegedly, in the now local crap rag that at the time was a great local newspaper, it apparently printed that the artist, who was then unknown, called himself Banksy. I didn't read the article myself but several people over the years say they remember reading it. Whether the above is true or not, who knows?

I did do a search a while back using the local rag's website but the search engine was as useless as fart in a hurricane.

Thanks for the condolence. My mate, I knew his social or care worker as I used to clean his windows. I'm now a retired window cleaner. Apparently he had an ulcer that burst while he was on a bender in his flat. What an horrifically painful and bloody death. In life, he was such a decent and friendly person in between the binges. His funeral was packed out. He was well liked. I couldn't have so easily gone down the same path.

Back on topic. Banksy. Anything that gives the one finger salute to this shit society is fine with me.

In the mid nineties there were small stencil artworks all over Brighton that seemed to increase in number as time went on of a picture that in someways resembled Clark Kent (superman) smoking a pipe and underneath it said Kent Can't. It was a reference to Christopher Reeve who had been making a film in 1995 about a police officer who had become a paraplegic when Reeve had a horse riding accident that left him paralysed from the shoulders down.

Allegedly, in the now local crap rag that at the time was a great local newspaper, it apparently printed that the artist, who was then unknown, called himself Banksy. I didn't read the article myself but several people over the years say they remember reading it. Whether the above is true or not, who knows?

I did do a search a while back using the local rag's website but the search engine was as useless as fart in a hurricane.
'Kent Can't' ..... I'm going to be looking into that link/info thanks, sounds like a Banksy thing to do. Sorry again about your friend's passing.

'Kent Can't' ..... I'm going to be looking into that link/info thanks, sounds like a Banksy thing to do. Sorry again about your friend's passing.
The local newspaper is called the Brighton Evening Argus. Good luck with the search and yes, it does seem like a Banksy thing to do and as you say, the 'Kent Can't' thing.

One aspect that Christopher Reeve mentioned that I remember reading was his severe regret that he could no longer have sex because of the accident. His willy no longer worked. That must have been terrible for him. I think the 'Kent Can't' was a reference to that as I have a vague memory that was mentioned in the MSM at the time.

Has he been at it again or is this a copycat?. If he's done this one, he normally owns up on his website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68592907

1710810124769.png

It's very close to me. I passed it twice today & there was a sizeable crowd of around 50 people loitering & taking selfies etc both times. The tree itself is very sculptural.

Last edited:
I was told today how Banksy did his hermit crabs stencil on our remote sea defence wall: he turned up in a high viz jacket early in the morning then constructed an official looking orange wind break looking structure around where he was painting so anyone spotting something (joggers and dog walkers mostly) would have assumed he was just a council worker plus he was also hidden from view. I was covertly smuggling wood to the exact same spot (to the square metre) at the same time to do beach fire parties so I know the exact route he would have had to take to get all that stuff down there and it isn't easy. We were hiding wood behind the beach huts there a week or so in advance, the only way we could get there was by foot. He would have needed someone else to carry his wind break concealment structure so he could carry his spray cans and stencils unless he did two trips.

When I say down to the square metre, I'm not exaggerating. I chose that spot because the CCTV camera on top of the lifeboat station can't see that far, a few metres to the right or left and it can and we were hosting night time fires which are also shielded from view from a distance by the same wall which also aren't allowed on the beach.

Why you shouldn't steal a Banksy

https://pestcontroloffice.com/faq.asp#void

Last edited:
Here we go again. There's always one **** who just has to ruin it for everyone else. These are the same types of people at school who told you Father Christmas isn't real and that it's your Dad in an outfit instead. Because if they can't be the centre of attention?, no one can. At least they didn't attack the stencil I suppose.

Banksy's urban tree artwork defaced with white paint​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68612242

Back