Banksy: Dismaland & Beyond

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hah! I'd go in a shot if I lived near. £3 - about the price of a large latte.

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
Reaction score
Has anyone managed to see it yet? There is article after article going on about tickets, web site crashes and huge queues. 10 people at a time are hurled through a door never to be seen again etc.

So, has anyone actually been in yet?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
There's a small less commercial vid tour of it on Youtube, I don't know when it was filmed or who filmed it. I'll have a look.

Ringo

Reaction score
I just thought that by now, somebody would be singing it's praises and saying how wonderful it was. But I haven't seen or read a thing.

Swifty

Reaction score
I just thought that by now, somebody would be singing it's praises and saying how wonderful it was. But I haven't seen or read a thing.
All I can find vid wise so far are news channel videos .. this one seems to be the longest ..

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score
Barry Island To Sue Banksy For ‘Dismaland’ Idea

Artist Banksy has recently hit the headlines for staging a derelict and substandard theme park in Weston-Super-Mare. But Barry Island bosses have contacted their solicitors after they claim that Banksy got the idea from them.

Spokesman Dai ‘The Wrench’ Jones told WalesOnCraic:

“This guy turns up, sticks a few shitty amusements in his park and they all come flocking. Why’s that? We’ve been doing that for over 50 years and we never get a mention on the telly."
http://www.walesoncraic.com/barry-island-to-sue-banksy-for-dismaland-idea/

Barry-Island.jpg

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
OK I'm going to say it.

Maybe nobody is saying anything about it cos they've realised it's a load of pretentious rubbish, like pretty much all his other work?

"But don't you get it?"

Yes, yes I do. And it's still rubbish.

Last edited:

Ringo

Reaction score
OK I'm going to say it.

Maybe nobody is saying anything about it cos they've realised it's a load of pretentious bollocks, like pretty much all his other work?

"But don't you get it?"

Yes, yes I do. And it's still shit.

As I mentioned earlier, he's not my cup of tea either. But I was expecting some news channels to have interviwed the first visitors etc. Has any member of the public actually bought a ticket and gone inside?

Or is it a post-ironic theme park? You queue up, get let in to the ticket office, only to be told that the queue was the exhibition and please don't let anyone else in on the secret.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, he's not my cup of tea either. But I was expecting some news channels to have interviwed the first visitors etc. Has any member of the public actually bought a ticket and gone inside?

Or is it a post-ironic theme park? You queue up, get let in to the ticket office, only to be told that the queue was the exhibition and please don't let anyone else in on the secret.

I saw BBC News coverage. Big crowds, people seemed to like it. The guides/stewards wore mouse ears and were suitably dismal/surly.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Big crowds, people seemed to like it. The guides/stewards wore mouse ears and were suitably dismal/surly.

See? Completely realistic.

And still crap ;)

Last edited:

Swifty

Reaction score
I don't know Carlos, I think the point is that it's meant to be shit and it's only £3 entry for 4,000 people a day so no pretentious 'modern art' students are getting rich on that level. That figure probably just covers the staff wages, the electricity and the ground rent. Unlike Tracy Emin's 'unmade bed' which was perhaps the start of this satire, this is affordable with genuine art works/ instalations that have clearly taken a lot of time and effort to make and again at just £3 a ticket. I wouldn't wet my knickers with excitement going there myself but I also don't think this is just an emperor wearing no clothes moment in modern art ..

Some people will remember that this isn't the first time Banksy has had a pop at Disneyland ... when he was starting to get more famous, he managed to climb over a fence at Disneyland for the wild mountain ride and plant a guatanamo (however it's spelt) bay prisoner, an inflatable prisoner complete with orange robes and hood ...

Swifty

Reaction score
It's not just this, it's the whole idea of a 'dangerous' street artist that has to stay anonymous - wooooooo.

View attachment 1071
I don't think he's making himself out to be a badass ... at the start he had to be "a nony mouse" because he was breaking the law doing what he did like all graffiti artists. I don't hero worship him but I do respect him although if the authorities can (supposedly) find Bin Laden or even corner Assange in an embassy, surely he deserves some credit for somehow retaining his secret identity? .. I expect a large amount of people know now he's more famous so, other than that The Guardian article that showed pictures of 'Robin', a bit chubby with ginger hair and glasses who's meant to be an ex posh school boy, will we ever find out?. Even if Banksy decided to reveal himself to the world tomorrow, no one would believe him amongst the inevitable crowds of people also pretending they are really him. I think that's great. An art work in itself ;) .... who is the man behind the iron mask? ... Maybe he's Andy Kaufman? ..

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, a couple of my friends and colleagues have, and they said it was worth the money for what it was. And as for news coverage, this close to the epicentre the amount of coverage is ludicrously excessive. Virtually sod all else got a look in for days. I'm not overly bothered, though.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm Banksy, just trying to throw you off the scent.

Swifty

Reaction score
No! I'm Banksy !

Ringo

Reaction score
Yep, a couple of my friends and colleagues have, and they said it was worth the money for what it was. And as for news coverage, this close to the epicentre the amount of coverage is ludicrously excessive. Virtually sod all else got a look in for days. I'm not overly bothered, though.
Fair enough. I haven't seen anything on the BBC News app which is my only daily source of UK news.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
£3 has got to be worth it just to see that giant twisty truck thing.

Swifty

Reaction score
Last edited:

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Ever get the feeling that someone might not honour their bid?

Swifty

Reaction score
I doubt she gives a crap to be honest.

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Dismaland artists have put fake TfL adverts on the tube to protest against arms dealing

From Time Out.

the fake posters are the work of artists from Banky's Dismaland, as part of a guerilla campaign protesting against arms dealing to coincide with the DSEI Arms Fair, which kicks off in London today at the ExCel Centre. Over 1,500 exhibitors are setting up shop at the fair to sell weapons including rifles and tanks and, understandably, some folks aren't too happy about it.

In essence...it says what we're all thinking.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Excellent. Reminds me of the fake notices which appeared on London Underground last year, done with the correct typeface, such as this:

spoof-underground-maps1.jpg

More here

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Closes this Sunday and has "brought in an extra £20 million" to Weston in the time it's been open. The local chip shop has done good business:

Luke Konsoumis, 48, the manager of Winston’s Fish and Chips on the seafront, said he had been in business for 35 years and had never witnessed so many people visiting the town. He said he was thrilled the park had generated so much business and publicity for the seaside town but admitted he was quite relieved it was coming to an end.

“It’s been manic for the past six weeks and we’re all knackered,” he said. “It’s so great as it’s put us on the map; we’ve had customers from Germany, Italy, America, who’ve come over to the UK just to see it, but I’m quite glad this is the final weekend. I’m completely exhausted.”

More here.

pandacracker

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I went to Dismaland last weekend. I wasn't really bothered about going but a friend I hadn't seen for while said he was going and I thought standing/sitting in a queue on Weston seafront on a pleasant Sunday drinking beer and catching up with a mate wouldn't be that bad.
And it wasn't. Although we waited 6 hours before we got in and there were hundreds of people behind us who I'm sure got turned away!
There was some interesting stuff, I particularly liked sitting on deckchairs and watching the short films.
Nice atmosphere as well. People were smiling at each other and enjoying the joke/conceit about it all being miserable and there were quite a few kids running around having fun.
There was some thought provoking work, some daft, some unfathomable and all put together rather well. In the end I was glad I went; contrary to the original premise, it was quite a good day out.

P.S. was going to upload some photos to share but it says the file is too big. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Just use some software to downsample a copy of the photos to a smaller size and then try uploading.
You could use free software if you don't have any, such as Paint.net, Pixelformer or Irfanview. Irfanview is good and totally free.

Even better, host them on an external site and just create a link - rather than uploading photos to the FTMB.
I'd love to see your Dismaland photos.

RyoHazuki

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
If you use an external site, try imgur.com - you don't need to register with them or anything, and the site's fairly clean and easy to navigate. I'd like to see some 'interior' shots too!