• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Batteries

Mama_Kitty

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was talking to Hubbles and we both realised we're under the impression that you can't throw batteries in the bin with normal household rubbish, hence we have a heck of a lot of batteries all over the house and can never be sure whether any of them work. Is this true? If you can't throw them away, what are you supposed to do with them? It says recycle them on the box, but I haven't seen many battery bins outside Sainsburys.

And what about all those people who apparently kill themselves by licking batteries to see if they're still live?

And what about extending the life of a battery? We all know that when the remote is playing up you can get a couple more weeks out of it by rolling the batteries about in the back.

Bottled electricity? T'aint right, I tells ya. T'aint right.

Kitty said:
And what about extending the life of a battery? We all know that when the remote is playing up you can get a couple more weeks out of it by rolling the batteries about in the back.

Bottled electricity? T'aint right, I tells ya. T'aint right.

Too true, Kitty, too true. I have managed to extend the life of a defunct battery by verbally threatening it. I wonder if the old 'razor under a pyramid' caper would recharge them safely..

*shambles has a sudden vision of his house burning down*

Strictly speaking, some types of battery shouldn't just be thrown in the rubbish. I believe that in law the manufacturer has a resposibility to dispose of them and you should send the depleted battreies back to them. Of course nobody does because of the postage costs, and they try not to advertise it.

The remote control springs back to life because the contacts in the remote oxidize causing an increase in resistance. When you spin the battery you cut through the oxide and can squeeze the last out of them.

Batteries kill swans, I saw it on Blue Peter, cerca 1985.

boynamedsue said:
Batteries kill swans, I saw it on Blue Peter, cerca 1985.

Blimey I had no idea of their violent attitude to these lovely birds, I say ban them for this reason alone, what with the evil threat of those immigrants eating the Swans I doubt they'll be any left in ten years. Personally I blame the parents.

Heckler can usually be found in a shopping centre near you drinking special brew, swearing loudly at passersby and weeing himself whilst on his days off he writes a column for the Daily Mail.

Batteries can be dropped off in special receptacles at my local tip, I presume for safe disposal.

Throws Heckler 50p and crosses the road abruptly

Before the mnore recent drive to reduce contaminating waste , wasn't there an alledged danger that they could explode if the rubbish were incinerated or is that just aerosols?

Who are you callimg an aerosol?

-

An ex-sailor friend of mine once told me that the RN were re-fitting the ships with new lifejackets for the crew. A special light, near the neck, started flashing on contact with water (just in case the user was unconcious). It was only in 'pool tests' that they found that the batteries - on contact with brine - exploded, shereeding the jacket and, presumably, the wearers neck.
I'm not entirely certain how true this is - the chemistry's a bit hazy - but I wouldn't put it past the MOD R&D bods to do this.

The best way of disposing of batteries (after checking they are dead by placing both terminals on the tongue), is to throw them in the fire.

This is not true

Stormkhan said:
An ex-sailor friend of mine once told me that the RN were re-fitting the ships with new lifejackets for the crew. A special light, near the neck, started flashing on contact with water (just in case the user was unconcious). It was only in 'pool tests' that they found that the batteries - on contact with brine - exploded, shereeding the jacket and, presumably, the wearers neck.

it was the wrong type of brine ;)

I've managed to extend the life of batteries by bashing their ends together, denting the shiny end slightly.
I don't know why this works, but my theory is that the chemicals move about a bit inside and start fresh reactions.

Apparenlty keeping them in a warm pocket before use can maximuse their luseage - at least with the rechargables.

jYou can preserve old unused photographic film well past it's expiry date by keeping it in the fridge.

I know something else about batteries which Hubbles discovered on eBay. It involves Sky, but I'd rather not say any more!

What does it take for a battery to become dangerous? Like binning it, would it explode if it was in a rubbish tip? Is it a time thing or would it only happen on a hot day or if it came into contact with foil or noxious household chemicals? Just how dangerous are these things?!

escargot said:
Batteries can be dropped off in special receptacles at my local tip, I presume for safe disposal.
I've always wondered what to do with them too. I'm not particularly environmentally minded, but I'm of late trying to be a bit more responsible and have been more aware of what I'm throwing away that could be dealt with in some other way - small electrical things for instance - I've got a knackered old sandwich toaster and deep fat fryer taking up space in the kitchen. I don't want them, I couldn't sell them. Charity shops don't take electrical goods, but I'd feel somehow guilty about just throwing them into landfill..

Oh yes, anyway.. batteries. I've been reliably told that our resident University can do something with old flat batteries - I think it's the engineering department but might be chemistry. I'm not quite sure whether they can recharge them (even non-rechargable ones) and then use them, or whether they dismantle them for the materials.

So, if you've got a handy university or other large scientific institution that runs on a tight budget, you could see if they have a collection box.

Steve.

In Sweden, every petrol station, recycling centre, supermarket and electrical goods store have battery disposal bins. Also, at the recycling centre, you can drop off old electrical stuff, tyres, bricks, you name it. It all gets stripped down, sorted through and recycled. Not recycling in Sweden carries heavier penalties than murder. (Not true but nearly!)

Back in the UK after Christmas, I went to my mams local recycling centre to drop off loads of stuff and they just dumped it all in one skip, probably to be burned or dumped! :(

As for battery licking, I would think people with pace-makers should avoid that one!

Rrose Selavy said:
Apparenlty keeping them in a warm pocket before use can maximuse their luseage - at least with the rechargables.

My father had a battery discharge itself fast with burny consequences in his trouser pocket. I'm guessing something metal was touching both points... only his leg fortunately...

Ringo said:
Not recycling in Sweden carries heavier penalties than murder. (Not true but nearly!)

In future I shall recycle my batteries by posting them through the letterbox of the Swedish Embassy in London. :lol:

Kitty said:
I know something else about batteries which Hubbles discovered on eBay. It involves Sky, but I'd rather not say any more!

Oh, you must tell! We're open minded here.
:twisted:

The Yithian said:
Rrose Selavy said:

My father had a battery discharge itself fast with burny consequences in his trouser pocket. I'm guessing something metal was touching both points... only his leg fortunately...

Oh yes that does remind me about having read fairly recently about the dangers of burns from carrying leaking batteries in your pocket - Digital cameras tend to be power hungry so more snappers need to carry them around more - Actually thinking again, it might have been that I heard they should be warmd up in the hands for a few minutes before use.

lutzman said:
Kitty said:

I could PM you, it involves Box Office movies. I'm far too nervous to try it now we know it works though!

Kitty said:
lutzman said:
Kitty said:

I could PM you, it involves Box Office movies. I'm far too nervous to try it now we know it works though!
Please, do tell! :)

The Sky thing

Ah, that old chestnut.

Try it a few more times and see what happens. All you're doing is using up part of the credit that's held on your viewing card. The battery does nothing.

Hope you didn't pay for this great 'advice'.

Sorry to disappoint.

Sleeper

The Yithian said:

I've heard of 9volt cells, the one with the terminals on the top, dischargin in this manner. Also that a .22 rimfire cartridge will "cook off" by touching the terminals of a 9 volt.

When I was a fire marshal i had to do a safety course and i've been racking my brains about this for the last ten minutes.

Can't remember anything useful of course, but as Yithian points out, metal things touching both ends sets sparks off - try putting a scouring pad in a paper bag of batteries. In fact, no, don't.

Presumably this is the reason why it's unsafe to just chuck them in the bin.

steel wool burns with a lovely bright light. When I crewed on a muzzleloading cannon, we'd use them over the powder for some very photogenic night shooting.

Kitty said:
lutzman said:
Kitty said:

It involves a phone box too, doesn't it? It does work, but if you ever connect your sky box to a genuine phone line again then it grasses you up and they know what you've been up to - so watch it (sic).

Once, when I was a teenager, I was burning some trash in the fireplace, and unknowingly two batteries got burned. And, yes, they DO explode. These were not big, though, and no one was injured. In fact, they really just sort of popped. Loudly, though.

Hooo, tell us about the Box Office movies! :p
I have never connected my Skybox to the telephone line and never will so I won't get caught. ;)

I don't think it involves telephone boxes, not directly anyway. I'll PM you 'scarg . . .

We had a bit of a "Cider is scarily stupid" moment last week. The Destroyer of Souls had been bought a toy car by a relative and it stopped working, so he bought it to me. After fiddling with it for a bit, I opened up the battery casement and there was oily stuff all over it. So I rub it into my fingers and smell it and ask TDOS if he's been puitting something on the car, which he denies. I decide that it's probably baby oil and wait for Daddy to come in so I can make him attempt to fix it. In comes Soong and I hand him the car which he takes and says "The batteries are leaking. We'll get rid of it." and puts in in the bin. "Leaking!! I thought that was baby oil!" Cue much hand washing and worrying that I'm going to die horribly. :oops:

I always thought that batteries leaked in some radioactive colour- you know, yellow or green or mingy brown. Leaking baby oil is just wrong. :nooo:

Back